Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just By Chance... (DragonSong)

Started by Wrathwyrm, January 13, 2017, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

He met her smile with one of his own, saying...

"As far as I know, the main lines of communication in Essyrn are messenger birds, hired couriers, and street urchins...which is basically kids they give a copper and a message to so they can run it across town, fast as you like."

The place they were heading for was now in view, so whatever it was she figured she might concoct when she got home, it was likely that Sano would be here at the Sati Inn.

So, listen, is there anything I can do for you in return?  It wouldn't be right for you to use up your alchemy material for me and get nothing back."

DragonSong

She snorted a bit. "Unless you've got an extensive alchemical library at your disposal, no. I'm really not sure what I could ask of you."

She smiled. "And I really don't mind helping. This is- was- sort of my job."

Wrathwyrm

It looked as though she wasn't going to let slip what it was that seemed to bother her, so it must've been rather personal.  Either that, or she was completely serious in that it was literally a complex alchemy problem...which he would be utterly useless in.

"Well, when I go back home, I'll see if there are any practicing alchemists, but I think the answer might be no."

Gesturing to the door, he let her step in first.  The Sati Inn was, as he said, nothing special, but it was a reliable place to put your head down at night.  It was run by Sati herself, a woman who looked to be responsible for cooking, cleaning, and tending to children...and was highly skilled in all of these.  Of course, being Essyrni, she would have many talents.  The maths, for one.  Made it easier to look after money, run a business.  Upon spying her looking over her ledger, Sano spoke up.

"Sati?  Customer."

She looked up and then immediately took a curt bow to Allaeya before speaking plain Common, better Common than Akbar did.

"Welcome to the inn.  Accommodations are sparse, but comfortable.  For your sake, I would suggest not leaving anything valuable in your room unattended, and instead make use of the house safe.  Essyrni would not steal, but there are those who still would, and children get up to mischief, of course.  You will have to pay for the first night up-front, but additional days will be tallied at the end of your stay.  So, will it be for the night or will you be here longer?"

DragonSong

"At least the night, I think," Ally replied in accented, but perfectly serviceable, Essyrni. "How much will that be?" she added with a smile.

Wrathwyrm

If the woman was surprised by Ally's sudden use of the local language, she wasn't showing it.  Sano was.  He'd no idea she knew that.  Naturally, Sano couldn't understand what she said, but Sati did and stated it was a few coppers, which Ally surely had.  That was easy.

"I guess you come by Essyrn alot, then?"

Well...it WAS known for its alchemical supplies, actually.

DragonSong

Ally handed over the coins with a small smile. "No, actually," she replied quietly. "This is my first time in the city proper."

Wrathwyrm

The only other alternative was that she had acquaintances who had helped her learn the language...right?  Whether that was the answer or the reason was something stranger, it didn't really matter, though.

"I see.  Well, if you or anyone you know needs a sword mage person, or you make any progress on the thing we discussed, I'll be in town for a while.  I'm here looking for people to help with that, taking odd jobs as they come.  The only issue with that is...Essyrnians think destructive magic is basically useless, so I don't think anyone local can even help."

Yeah, it was sort of a thing.  They had use for maths and magics to obtain new and important knowledge or fortune, or certainly to heal and mend, but if it involves blasting a fireball at anyone...the response is a decided 'Meh'.  Of course, Ally was pretty much golden around here.  They thought alchemy was just brilliant, which is why the materials sell so well on the market.  You can see why Akbar made such a big to-do about the star metal.

DragonSong

"Of course." She smiled and nodded at him. "Where could I send a message for you?"

Wrathwyrm

"I'll be here, naturally.  Probably the best for it, since I'll have to get back, eventually."

Regardless of what he found himself doing, he'd find himself hitting the sack here, at the very least.  So, this would be tthe spot to send the messages.

DragonSong

"No, I mean-" She chuckled and raised a hand to cover her mouth. "I meant, where are you staying in the city? The name of the inn, so I know where to send a message?"

Wrathwyrm

At this point, it was Sati's turn to laugh, just a little.  The woman had spoken to her in very passable Essyrni, but even though her first tongue was Common, she mistook the young man's meaing when he said 'here'.

"Many apologies, girl.  The young man is staying at this inn here.  You send it to Sati's Inn.  They know the place."

"Yeah, what she said."

DragonSong

"Oh!" Ally blushed scarlet and ducked her head. "S-sorry, I didn't..." She cleared her throat and looked away, shuffling her feet.

Wrathwyrm

Her reaction was...  He couldn't help himself.  Sano began to chuckle, trying to hold it in witth a hand over his mouth.  It sort of became a snicker and and then petered out as he held up a hand in a 'Wait a minute' sort of fashion.

"Please, don't be embarassed.  I know your mind's been on other things.  It could happen to anybody.  I just figured the one I was staying at was easier because I hunted all over town for the right medium between comfortable and affordable, saving you the effort yourself."

DragonSong

"Yes, well..." She cleared her throat, still very red. "That...makes sense. I should go."

She turned on her heel and almost bolted for the door. She could feel the change stirring in her body, sparked by strong emotion- embarrassment, in this case.

Wrathwyrm

Huh...  That was odd.  Why did she leave like that?  Sano wasn't immediately curious, because it was only kind of strange and he wanted to lock up his water rations - which, of course, were valuable in this part of the world - but he felt curious after the fact.  So, slightly less burdened, he began to have a look around, fully expecting something to have made Allaeya sick and that she did not want people to see.  He had, for the moment, forgot the whole 'looking troubled' thing.

DragonSong

Ally didn't get far. She managed to get herself behind the inn before the change really started pulsing through her body. She dropped her bag and knelt to start fumbling through it.

She grabbed for a small vial of mostly clear liquid with a hint of a blue tint. She popped the cap and downed it quickly, shaking and gasping as fire ran through her veins.

Wrathwyrm

Back alleys were not a nice place to be.  In places like these, they're worse than the side alleys - The so-called 'dark alley you wouldn't wanna meet him in' - because this was essentially the 'We don't care' or 'We're not looking' part of the town.  Now, for Allaeya's personal medicated needs, that did basically allow her to swallow her concoction unseen...though that's assuming a penniless nobody wasn't around, or there wasn't a grifter, or someone wasn't tossing their garbage and whatnot out a window.

But Ally had managed to deal with the matter unseen.  Sano had not quite caught up to her, by then.  He was, in fact, only around the corner in the side-alley as he heard her gasp in reaction to whatever she'd swallowed.  Having reasoned the only way to get out of sight so quickly was to come back here, he'd followed but been a bit too late to exactly see what was going on.  And...perhaps it was for the best.  From here, he couldn't decide if she was out of breath from something or had terrible indigestion and had to umm...evacuate something.

The latter was a bit of a private function, though regardless of what the answer was, Ally's behavior was a bit peculiar by Sano's standards.  Frankly, he felt reassured by that which was strange to him, because that was the true state of the world, not what the people of his home country wanted.  Still, it clicked in his head that this may, in fact, relate to both her expression from before and even her alchemy needs.  Sano decided to stay where he was, but chance speaking to her.

"Are you alright?  I thought maybe you were sick."

DragonSong

"Gods above!" Ally jumped and whirled to face him, her hand pressed to her chest. The shock nearly undid the work that her makeshift alchemical concoction had done and she took a few shaky breaths as she felt the potion coursing through her veins.

"I didn't see you there," she muttered, trying to force a chuckle. She swallowed. "I'm, uh...it's not an illness...exactly..."

Wrathwyrm

Well, all she really saw was his hand waving from around the corner, checking it was safe before actually coming around.  Naturally, the startled reaction told him that this might have been a bad idea.  Ah well.  In for a copper, in for an ingot, right?

"I'm sorry, really.  I was trained to pay alot of attention to details, so I notice things like 'She seems out of sorts'.  So, I thought you either ate something that didn't agree with you or traveling made you ill.  It happens.  I've gotten it."

This was a lie.  Not only had he not been sick, but he did not really think she was sick, either.  It was just that one of the details he was picking up from her nervous reaction, and from evasiveness prior, was that this was not something she could talk about openly, or did not want to.  He wanted to know, and he wanted to help if he could - like Keefe to him in Connlaoth - but if she was unwilling to say, then...what could he do?

DragonSong

"Well, ah..." She cleared her throat. "Thank you. For- your concern. And your help, here. With the inn." Her cheeks were rather red. "Right. Thanks."