Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hot Place (Dial M For Mature)

Started by Wrathwyrm, March 15, 2017, 12:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

To be honest, Travis wasn't liking the reception much either.

"Agreed, we shouldn't stay too long if this is how we're being treated.  Many of the people here are money-obsessed, though."

That, and the 'no women equality' thing.  That could be very irritating.  Well, there was one person that Travis knew of who cared more about being a decent shopkeeper than anything else in the world, which meant treating customers fairly, all the time.  The young demon poked a guy in the shoulder and said one word to him, by way of question, and got pointed in a direction.

"C'mon.  Better treatment is this way."

He led her to a quaint little shop that was just slightly off the main market area, close but out of the way, in its own respect, to give a little breathing room and allow a person to actually see it for what it was.  The sign out front was in Essyrni, but everyone - even foreigners would know what it said, for as you walk in, there would be a funny sort of man with a furry hat clapping his hands together and saying...

"Welcome!  Welcome to Akbar Emporium, where the item you seek is closer than you think!"

The walls, the shelves, and the counter all had different stuff on it, varying trinkets and goods.  And there was indication of more in back.  This Essyrni man was the Akbar, in question.  He might know things, or he might know someone who knows things.  Either way, this was a far cry of a better reception than outside.

RedOptics

Keeping her eyes to herself, Keona simply watched Ira chow down on his piece of raw beef. It almost made her hungry. Almost. She didn't know where Travis was taking her until they came to a less densely populated area of the city.

The excitement had long been lost to her upon arriving in this unfair city, and it certainly did not return now. The sudden man that popped up caused both her and the animal to squeak in surprise, only to relax upon realizing that he wasn't a threat. Keona looked at Travis with a bit of 'really?' glinting in her eyes.

"Er... hello." She said softly, managing a wave at the squirming tiger. She glanced around at the odd trinkets and souvenirs, finding both fascination and strange uncomfortableness.

Wrathwyrm

And she would get a 'Yeah, really' look in return.  Akbar was bizarre, but-

"Many greetings, Yoreigi warrior."

He gave her an emphatic bow.  Akbar...got around.  He knew things.  He was...different among Essyrni, total respect for everyone...so long as you didn't mind being considered a potential customer and boon to his business at all times.  Also, he was not in the business of slave-trade.  Really, his lack of surprise for Keona's appearance was a surprise to Travis.

"Uhh, Akbar..."

"Yes?"

"We met before...couple years ago-"

"Yes, Akbar does not forget a face.  But...ah...not so good on names.  Many customers.  You are...?"

"Travis."

"Ahh...  What can Akbar be doing for you at this time?  Sauves for your wounds?  Water for provisions?  Spell components?  Aromatic Grass?"

Yes...about that.  While Travis was trying to tell him that what he was after, for the moment, was information...a curious aroma would gently waft into the nostrils of the little tiger.  An enticing , you could say.  Or, to put it another way, Akbar had a bunch of catnip hanging up on the wall.  Meanwhile, Travis had managed to get a word in, edge-wise.

"Information?  Certainly!  What do you wish to know?"

"Well, we're looking for someone."

He gave him a description of the man and Akbar thought about it.

"Would you wait while Akbar looks at records, in back?"

RedOptics

While the two were talking, Ira had finished his slab of meat before something new caught his attention entirely. His squirming told Keona to let him go, and she obliged. The tiger padded around, trying to catch the trail of the scent before bounding off. Keona was tired of chasing him, and since she didn't hear him breaking anything he assumed he was being careful.

When Akbar would go look in the records, he would find a name that would stand out from the rest. It was Serenian, clearly.

Eius Xavar.

While they waited, Ira would the source, and carefully made his way around as to not knock anything over. He jumped up and clawed at a good portion before it fell silently to the wood and cobble, making him very giddy before nibbling on it.

Eius Xavar was a man that only elders typically knew, but if he was in the books, that means he had just returned from over seven years of visiting another realm. that would be the Serenian way of putting it. But why would he be here of all places? Keona waited patiently for the man to return, fingering at some small trinkets and looking generally interested in some things.

Wrathwyrm

Well, the truth of the matter was that Akbar wasn't expecting to find the name in the records he kept in Essyrn, but somewhere more abroad, like actually in Serendipity, where he had another shop.  That was the thing about Akbar that made people remember him.  They could swear that they'd seen him before...because they probably had.  Of course, most people were unaware of it, but the funny little man was everywhere.  In a number of shops, at least.  Special power of his.  Nevermind.

He had the record, surprisingly, though he could not be sure that it was spelt right.  You see, he didn't ask people to record their names.  He recorded unusual people or names on his own, and it was just lucky chance that he got the guy's actual name.  He was apparently important to Serendipity for...some reason, but he did not know why.  A shopkeeper does not ask these things if they don't come up in conversation.  Akbar returned to the front now, not yet aware of the thing that Ira was doing.

"Eius Xavar."

"Eius Xavar?"

He nodded twice.

"Eius Xavar."

"Okay...who is he?"

"Akbar does not know.  Am thinking it is a Serenian name, and that he was importat, somehow, but the reason was never said."

"What'd he buy?"

"Water.  Not for him.  Akbar is thinking if there was another thing."

"You do that."

He turned to Keona now.

"Well, we have a name...and a direction.  He's Sererian."

RedOptics

Keona had taken on a rare face of concentration. She was thinking, why would he be here just for water? Why was he here in the first place?

But the fact that the name was Serenian confirmed it was him no doubt. "That proves it then, regardless of what we do we have to find a way over those mountains. At this point I'm willing to fly myself... Where's Ira gone...?" She whispered the last bit to herself, turning around to walk off and look for him.

The tiger was rolling around playfully, finishing the last bit of nip before stretching across his back and purring in content. Soon enough he was found by Keona who looked confused as hell as to why he was acting like this. She picked him up, Ira feeling like he was melting in her arms. "What did you eat now...?"

Wrathwyrm

It might have been just water.  Akbar couldn't exactly recall.  He had to disappear into the back of his shop again for a moment, anyway, as the two of them conferred about their situation.  Yes, it was clear what they had to do now.  Damn, if only they'd been able to stay on the boat...  Then again, it wasn't exactly all that pleasant, there.  Keona made mention of flying there herself before trailing off about the tiger.  Travis responded to that while she looked around.

"Let's not resort to that 'till it's our last resort.  It does mean crossing the desert, the glass desert, Adela, and some mountains."

Aaand that was when they found Ira lying there....massively content wih a funny-smelling plant.  Akbar soon returned from the back and saw the situation for what it was.

"Oh!  Your cat has melted!  Is it the heat?"

Okay, maybe not.  Travis held up the remains of the sadly-abused plant that Ira had bee chewing on.

"I think you'll find that this is the culprit.  What is it?"

"Ah, yes...  That is the Aromatic Grass which I was referring to before.  Animals seem to like it, especially when it is of the feline persuasion."

"How long, exactly, is he gonna be like this?"

Akbar just shrugged.  He didn't know.

RedOptics

"Looks like he only managed to eat a small amount. Hopefully it doesn't last long." Keona said as she flung the feline over her shoulder. He hung there, still purring in centent at the warmth the woman provided.

"So what now?" She asked Travis, glancing at Akbar for a second. The demon knew his way around, and knew quite a few, even if it only was this odd man. "And Travis, dear, I've island hopped before, I know for sure I'll be able to make it to the mountains at least. I hope." She added. So long as I don't drop dead before then....

Wrathwyrm

Why the little tiger craved felt comfortable with warmth now of all times, we may never know.  Wasn't important, though.  He would recover...eventually...and they would be going on their way.  Of course, Travis was given a reminder that Keona was a practiced island-hopper - which was true, cause he'd been there - and that long distances shouldn't be a problem.  Possibly not, though the altitude of mountains and islands usually differed unless it was a huge island with a tall mountain.  Then again, when you consider that Keona's job was likely to climb a fricking volcano and commune with it, she probably had a point.

"Well, we go north...ish.  If you want to fly, we can stop to see the glass desert like you wanted to.  I guess, depending on how long it takes or how tired you are, we can rest in Adela and see about getting a Dragonrider to drop us off in Seren territory.  The only question is...when do you want to start?"

"And what will you be wanting to buy?"

"And what will you be wanting to- Huh?"

Akbar shrugged.

"Is still a business to be run here."

RedOptics

"Anytime. I guess. The faster we get away from this place the better. I wanna see some combat dragons up close. Besides. I'm sick of the attitude that hovers in the air here." It genuinely pissed her off, how ill-tempered the people here were. It was one of the first negative feelings she had felt in a long time.

"Well... we can't buy water, unless you need any." She looked at Travis, twirling Ira's tail in her fingers patiently.

Wrathwyrm

"Nah, I don't need water."

Even if he were to be thirsty, his body would run without it, giving him the pain of thirst.  He was alright, for now, of course.  so, that just left the matter of their departure...and paying Akbar for the information.  They DID have some coin, after all, and Akbar definitely delivered a service.  So, one transaction later...

"I guess the best thing to do is to either head for the edge of the city to spread our wings or do it while somewhere high up."

Planety of candidate buildings for thatt, though perhaps stepping outside of city limits was the easiest.  He left that one to Keona, though...he wondered if Ira was aware of all this, at all.

RedOptics

"I'm clearly not cut out for city life. I'd like to leave Essyrn, please." Keona said, nodding slightly gently running a warm hand over the fur of the melting creature as he seemed to have fallen asleep.

Stupid little tiger, but who could blame him? Usually his cuteness made up for his stupidity, but he had proven multiple times that he was rather intelligent.

"Thank you, Akbar, we appreciate your help greatly." THe woman smiled, wings twitching at the thought of flying once again. Glass was something she definitely wanted to see, since it was a rare element back on the island. Only small trinkets and oil lamps were ever really pieces of proof that it existed, but they didn't really know how to make it. Unless it was Keona, who always managed to accidentally melt sand on the beaches with her feet.

Wrathwyrm

"Alright, then.  Let's go."

Akbar gave Keona a bow of thanks as Travis opened the door to leave.  As soon as he did, though, he tripped over something and fell face-first into the ground with a heavy impact.

"I swear, if I hear a cat meow at me..."

It WAS A little like that cat from before, but he'd actually been impacted higher because he'd simply failed to navigate a shorter person walking in.  Namely, it was a four-foot goblin in dark clothes and a mask who muttered an apology as he walked into the shop to talk business with Akbar.  Travis got up and shook his head.

"If he'd been crouching a little more, I'd've been hurting pretty bad there, for a moment."

Yes, that would've been painful to watch AND experience.

RedOptics

Keona wasn't paying full attention before Travis made a noise and the nest thing she knew he was on the ground. She stifled a laugh and bent down to help him up, "You okay anyways?"

The breeze was calling them, and the blue sky was welcoming them, directing them out into the beyond. Once Travis would stand, she'd help in brushing off his clothing before looking around warily.

Whatever bad sense that Ira had had now moved onto her, since the little tiger no longer had the responsibility or even ability to sense it as of now. The feeling simply made her grip onto her companion tighter, and raise her wings to create a short shielding just so the only precious thing would be difficult to grab.

Wrathwyrm

They got up and Travis nodded, saying he was fine.  It'd just been an unexpected impact.  From now on, he was gonna watch it when he exited doors.  Still, as a breeze picked up, Keona reacted as though there were something about it that wasn't right, because she was shielding him, for the moment.  He looked around to see if anything was actually going on, but all there was right now he saw only the general flow of people on the streets and heard only the sounds of the marketplace.  He turned to Keona and smiled at her.

"Come on, let's get out of the city and take off."

Even if something were about to happen, it wasn't like they owed anybody here anything, right?  Travis would head back for the city gates, back the way they came.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Meawhile, inside the shop, the goblin smirked, the pouch of...admittedly not too many coins...resting in his pocket.  Some people were easier than others.

RedOptics

"Yes, let's." Following the demon, the exoctic woman made sure Ira was secure on her shoulders. Her instinct would have been to immediately take flight and abandon this place for good.

"The thought of stretching my wings again sounds amazing." She pressed emphasis on the word, as if something else caught her attention. Her wings fluttered elegantly for a moment, black feathers glistening in the sun as the edges began to burn, leaving tiny smoke trails.

Her gold eyes still held a weary glint, even if she seemed to pull off being excited pretty well, she kept her senses sharp for thieves and enemies. Mainly shadows.

Wrathwyrm

Watching her spread her wings out was an elegant sight to behold.  Even if you thought of her as a foreigner in the land, you couldn't help but feel a bit of awe for someone like that.  Then, of course, you'd wonder what was with the tiger, though that is unimportant.  Travis certainly felt in the moment, seeing her mood improve.  Well, since nothing was coming out to attack them now and they had already been unknowingly robbed, Travis spread his wings and took off in a northerly direction, circling up high to wait for Keona to catch up before forging ahead.  It was hot and sunny up here, but the two of them were uniquely-suited to handle it.

RedOptics

Stretching them out to their fullest length, Keona pumped her wings to lift her into the air. THe mass was great for silent flight, speed however was another story. Fastening the tiger, she took a glance to see if she had left anything behind, relieved that she hadn't. A form of content washed over her knowing that they were presumably safe up here and out of reach.

Beginning forward after the man, she watched their silhouettes below pass over sand and paths, occasionally stone. They were headed to Adela. Adela, the land of dragon riders. Dragons looked different every where you went, and these ones sounded quite unique.

"It's so much calmer up here..." She stated, doing a quick roll in the air, leaving a twist in the smoke trail she left behind.

Wrathwyrm

Many years before the act was made a regular occurrance, Keona had invented the aerial stunt show.  Her flight gave rise to the tradition of the perfectly-controlled flight, outlined by the use of smoke trails.  Sadly, this incredible invention would be lost for centuries, as nobody would realize that she had done so naturally by the curious burning effect of her feathers.  Travis, for one, found this an awesome sight, plus the fact that she had done this while having somehow strapped Ira to her back, inadvertantly placing Garfield suction dolls clinging to car windows in the human race-memory.  All this was neither here nor there, as they came to fly over the sands of the desert proper.  It was just interesting and funny.

"Nothing for miles, except for one helluva view."

Two, if you count the landscape.  Heh.

RedOptics

"I find the barreness of this land quite tranquil. Not even many animals disturb the sand." Keona looked to her left to see a pod of sand-snakes leaping out of the sand, falling back into the loose particles to continue their disappearing tunnels. "Spoke too soon." She shrugged. Their ebony and standstone tails ended the short show, and soon she had forgotten about them once they never returned.

Gliding on the heat currents, Keona let the windwhistle through her charcoal feathers, diminishing the smoke she left behind. The shadows they casted revealed two different species entirely. Demon and Angel. Or rather that's what some would think. Others may see beasts, or mystic beings. Demigods, lords... Keona just liked the thought of two travellers, simply looking to have a happy life.

Tags: