Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Mercyful Fate [M] [Boglin] [COMPLETE]

Started by Lion, April 10, 2017, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Her request was not completely out of the ordinary, and not completely unreasonable either. So Roland paused at the center of each of the hallways and after a few seconds pointed the torch in the direction of the chapel.

"Then a place of worship seems to be the most appropriate. All may enter God's domain and be welcome. Or so the saying goes," Roland looked to her. The torchlight accentuated the darker lines of her face, and he saw the weariness therein. He wanted to reach up, to push away a stray strand that fell over her eyes, but he resisted.

Knowing her she'd find a reason to lop it off.

Roland stalked down the corridor toward the chapel, a small room with a confession booth to the left and a few benches in the middle that served as pews.  There were no holy men here, and none that stayed once Roland had settled in. He walked around to make sure that no one else was here before setting the torch in an empty wall slot and moving toward the nearest bench, shrugging out of that fur-lined cloak, and dropping it down.

"What is it that you wish to speak of?" he asked, walking a little over toward the stained glass windows where natural sunlight poured in and illuminated the room.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

Only once the room was cleared did she close the door behind them and move to join him at his side. For a moment she stood there silently, taking in his features. There was nothing that was out of place with him. The illusion truly was a sight to behold. Then, in an instant, Alanna was swinging. Her fist connect squarely with his chin with a harsh crack that made her own knuckles sting.

"How dare you defile my husband's image, demon," she hissed while grappling to get a hold of him and try to pin him against the wall. "How dare you use your witchcraft in the house of Angsar and bear the face of my deceased husband. You are not worthy of it, fiend!"

Like a woman possessed, she fought to claw at him and bang him against the wall, anything and everything to subdue him as she finally unleashed her rage and heartbreak. "Roland Mercer was a good man and a good soldier who died for his country! I do not know how you came by such magic but I swear on my husband's grave I will most assuredly kill you over it!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

The white that flashed before his eyes sent Roland reeling backwards and he staggered over a bench. But he didn't have time to fall before Alanna was on him and slammed him hard against the wall. She wasn't weak, nor frail, nor a whimpering simpleton. The words that leapt from her mouth though were mad and filled with a vile hatred that left Roland's head spinning.

"Alanna!" Roland screamed, voice bellowing against the vaulted ceilings, the cavernous chapel echoing that resonance, and he fought to fend off her attacks, and reached up to grasp her wrists. "Stop! I AM ROLAND!" He felt the bite of nails hard against his right cheek and neck when he turned his head away.

"ALANNA!" he growled. "PLEASE! YOU'RE MAD!" Roland's hand reached down to try and pull Anguish between them, but the proximity was far too close, and the only way he could think to get her off was instead to close the distance between them, seeing a space where her arms parted and pressing his lips harshly against hers.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

The kiss was not sweet or gentle. Instead it was a clashing of teeth and blood and white-hot rage. She resisted viciously at first, going so far as to even bite his lips with the intention to draw blood. But, even then being held in familiar arms and kissed by familiar lips began to wear down on her and she found herself collapsing into him wearily.

Hands that had clawed and beaten now clutched tightly to him as if to let him go would mean to see him disappear. "Roland?" she asked, her voice trembling in disbelief and a twinge of hope. "My Roland? Is it really you? They told me you were dead. They told me you were dead!" Alanna shouted with a cracking sob as she weakly beat a fist against his chest.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

The resistance of that kiss only made Roland press into her more. Tunic pressed flatly to the coldness of her armor and one arm fell easily around her, a familiar embrace as his other clutched against the right of her face, feeling the heat of her rage that burned there.  He tilted his head feeling the anger behind it and there was no small ounce of roughness on his part.

Lips parted toward that familiar warmth until she spoke against him. Roland could feel tears rolling down his cheeks, stinging against the fresh raw wounds she'd made on his face. He didn't bruise easily, and he never complained of his pain. And he didn't now when he tilted his head and pressed the wetness against her cheek with a soft kiss.

"I'm not dead," he breathed against her lips. "I'm alive. I'm sorry. I am....  Alanna.... I'm so sorry. But I know nothing I can say can make it up to you. All years I spent away. But I promise you I am real. And I am alive. Here and now. In the flesh."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"You let me believe you were dead. You let me think all this time I was alone," she cried softly against him, her arms moving from wanting to harm to wanting to cling tightly to him. "Why didn't you tell me? Roland what did I ever do to be tortured this way? I died the day they told me you were lost. I wanted to die with you when I heard the news. How could you just abandon me, abandon your people, your friends like this?" Alanna pulled back to look at him, her head shaking in disappointment. "How could you turn your back on everything?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

He quivered at every syllable she cried softly to him, and he opened his eyes, blinking away blurry tears as she spoke. Roland's cheeks were soaked with tears, their salt digging into his wounds. His hands reached up to hold her face to his, and he couldn't fight back the sobs that made his chest ache.

And the guilt and shame the washed over him was almost too much to be borne. Were it not for their proximity he could have fallen to his knees, prostrate before her. His arm tightened hard around her, wanting only to hold her for as long as he could, to keep that impression of her form against his lest it float away. Until she broke away from him.

"I couldn't tell you! I couldn't! I was dead and gone and you were better off without me!" he breathed against her, taking in a sharp breath and his chest aching because of it. "You didn't need me, Alanna. You didn't. You were alive, and free and that was what was important. You never needed me. You were always stronger, better, smarter, faster. You were made to survive, no matter what happened to you. I had faith you would live your life. You didn't need me to hold you back."

He shut his eyes tightly and pressed his lips back against hers, possessively, angrily, and the ache in his chest only grew when he broke the kiss to breath.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Grey eyes that had once been so dead and lifeless flashed now with raw emotion. Her face contorted in fiery discuss and it was all Alanna could do to not throw herself at him again and beat some sense into him. "Better off without you!" she screeched, her voice echoing throughout the chapel and coming back sounding shrill even to her own ears, though she did not care.

"How could I be better off without you? I tied my life to you! I was your wife, Roland! I trusted you with my heart and when they told me you were dead it died that day. Had I not had a duty to my people, to my men I would have gladly allowed myself to waste away but I couldn't. What held me back was not your living but your death. Did you think I would rejoice at your loss?" she continued though her voice cracked and sounded raw from her screaming.

Furious with him, with the situation, with herself, Alanna latched onto one of the floor candelabra's and sent the lighted candles rolling across the cold, stone floor. She was lucky they did not land on anything flammable but in her rage she almost did not care. Let the whole damn keep burn as she did inside. Let everyone know how she felt dying every day inside until to find out it had all been a lie. She circled to his side and swung out at him, missing thanks to the tears blinding her eyes but that did not stop her from trying again. "All this time you let me believe this lie!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland pulled himself away in the midst of her rage. He forced the tears away, forced himself to sober because he could barely see her through the blur made by them. His face already showed deep red lines where the bite of her nails met his cheekbones and neck and he panted heavily.

"I know you better than you think, Alanna," he hissed, firming himself. "I knew you would live on and you did. I knew you wouldn't shirk your duties and that you would find a reason to go on. Because you never let anything hold you back. And that is what I love about you. And love still! You don't let yourself drown in sorrow! The war was raging everywhere!! Alanna! How could I tell you? And be dragged within again."

Roland kept his distance from her, rolling his shoulders and staring at her levelly. "Because Roland Mercer did die that day. And when I found myself dazed, sitting in the middle of a field of my friends all dead! And I was fighting a war that I didn't believe in! I never turned my back on my men! Even as  we were​ ordered to march right into a meat grinder! My superior knew we weren't coming back!"

Roland's face was red with rage. "You were always stronger than I was, Alanna. Letting you go was the hardest thing I've ever done! But I knew you would fall back on your resolve! Your work, wed again if you found reason to! Roland Mercer didn't come back because he was dead. And I saw then the true savagery that laid waste to the land!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"Do not speak to me of love," she spat, moving to hold the candelabra in both hands like a mighty staff. "You were my anchor in this storm and you set me adrift. Now I come to find that you were alive all this time, that you left me. Did you think that I could not listen? You did not even give me a chance! I made a vow, did it mean so little too you?"

Alanna swiped at him again, pushing him back towards the entrance in her anger. "The only savagery I see here is what you've done to me. You speak of my strength and resolve when you were not even there to see what you did to me. You turned your back on me!" Her body shook with her fury as she repeatedly lashed out at him, at a man who had once made her laugh and feel special and now made her cry and feel used.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland threw his arms up and blocked the blow made by the candelabra. It clanged against the metal of the bracer around his forearm. She was angry - and that was putting it lightly. And she had every right to that anger. He staggered backwards from the blow and circled around her.

"I did love you! And I still do! Alanna, I had to let you go. How would you have reacted to find your husband as a traitor to the Grand Duke you fight for! Others would find out. You would be ostracized! Beheaded! Better that I was dead than to see you executed for my own actions."

He was knocked back by a second swipe of that candelabra in her arm, this time the metal prong of it digging into his shoulder.  He hissed, grasping his arm tightly. "I have kept my vows, Alanna. My convictions. And I will do my duty to protect the people of Connlaoth and return this nation to them. We both are fighting for what we believe in."

Roland backed himself against the door, no longer evading her and he kept his gaze locked with hers. "You're the Mordecai Grandmaster now. You have made strides I see."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She pressed onward, holding him at bay with the candelabra stretched out between them. "And what will I be now when they find out an enemy of the Grand Duke overthrew Falkenrath and is the husband of the Grand Master herself? Yes I have advanced only to be at an even greater deposition than you could have placed me in before. Now there is no chance of banishment for me if they ever know the truth. There is only death, for either of us. What happens when I'm ordered to kill you? To torture you? Did you really think I would never find out?"

Alanna hesitated, her guard lowering ever so slightly as her shoulders slumped in defeat and her chin dropped to her chest. "You didn't even trust me. How can you say you love me when you could not even tell me the truth? You made choices for me, without me," she cried, harshly wiping away tears on shining metal of her shoulder armor.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

He didn't know what more could be said between them. She was right, he knew. The choice was taken out of her hands. Yet it hadn't just been him. The moment they decided he was dead, delivered that letter, carved his name in stone, solidified the fact that he was no longer Roland Mercer.

That was the harsh reality of it. He wasn't the man she married any longer. And those happy carefree days before the war, were left in the rubble and the dust of Soriandr Falls.

"I wasn't hiding it from you. But as far as everyone else knows, I am dead. And that is how it'll stay. And you will tell the Grand Duke that I am an enemy, and a traitor. And that Connlaoth will be returned to her people. That is the truth. And all that need be said."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

His words were a knife in her heart. She came all this way for a relatively simple mission only to find something which she had thought long lost and now she was expected to lose it again. The sharp clang of the heavy candelabra hitting the floor and rolling away from her gave her a start as she had not even realized that she had dropped it. For a moment Alanna looked down at her empty hands before shaking her head in sadness.

"So this is your decision then?" She did not wait for his answer before shuffling to stand in front of him, her own tired eyes raising to meet his. A gentle hand moved to rest flatly above his heart before her head fell to rest against his shoulder. "I never imagined being made a widow twice to the same man." More quietly she added, "then again I never imagined being a widow at all to begin with."

She wanted to stay there in that moment, to freeze time and hold onto him. But she could not. She had to leave before her heart shattered any further. It was already so frail and so weak. Resolved, Alanna moved quickly. One moment she was a grieving wife and in the next she was once more the Mordecai Grand Master. Hands that had touched him out of love fisted into his uniform before tossing him over her shoulder and into the fountain of holy water behind them.

"I will send word of your decision to the Grand Duke at once then. Perhaps the water will clear your mind in the mean time," she hissed before moving to storm out of the chapel.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland was resolute, and knew that this was the only possible outcome to a meeting like this. They both had come too far in their choices, in their paths, that to turn back now was folly and a show of a weakness that he would be disappointed if she displayed that now. Perhaps there just wasn't much more to say.

That didn't mean that it didn't pain him to say it. And the ache that had resonated in his chest previously left him singed. His eyes were red with the sorrow he'd shed, and the scratches still stung. And as she stepped toward him, he stirred, wanting to back away until her touch proved gentle.

And then suddenly it didn't. Roland helped as she swung him over her shoulder and he flopped forward into the wall fountain where the holy water resided, and he barely caught himself before hitting his head. He blew water fiercely from his nostrils, and glared at her, the primal urge to retaliate burning strongly within him. She had a right to her anger, however, and he watched her leave.

And yet...

"You still got that temper," he chuckled, finding himself smirking and spitting out the blood that pooled in his mouth when he bit the inside of his lip.  Yes, he did need to cool off indeed, but so did she.

In the meantime however, he was forced to contend with this woman, his wife, his widow, his guest, his enemy.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Alanna stormed back the way she had come, pausing only when she came across a group of Roland's men. "Your lord has taken a fall in the chapel. See to it that he is looked after," she commanded easily. The men hesitated warily, looking between themselves and her before her icy gaze landed fully upon them. "That was an order," she barked in such a clipped tone that it sent them scurrying like a pack of kicked puppies back the way she had come.

She found her own men in good spirits as they laughed and joked comfortably with each other. Her appearance though quickly silenced them as if they understood the storm cloud that danced so heavily above her head. "What news Grand Master? Have we gained a new ally?" called out the youngest of their contingent. The other men around him scowled and shifted away as if hoping to avoid The Lioness's wrath.

"It still remains to be seen, Harold," she chided gently. "Current negotiations have currently become a bit waterlogged and a recess was deemed necessary. "You there," she called to Roland's apparent right hand, "might I trouble you for some parchment and ink? I would like to send word that I will be longer than I had originally intended."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland righted himself in the water by the time his Red Legion soldiers arrived. One of them stood forward and reached out, clasping hands to pull him up and out of the fountain. Roland sat the edge of the fountain, shaking his hair - now made brown by the water - and brushed the water from his face.

"What the hell happened, General?" the soldier asked. "Are you all right!? Should we do something?"

"No!" he said, shaking, disappointed in himself that he allowed it to come to that. It would be a lie to say that he hadn't brought it upon himself. "No. You will do no such thing. I had a little spill is all. I needed some refreshment that's all. I'm going to my chambers. I'll be there should my guest require my attention. In the meantime, you will be as respectful and as amicable as I would expect of my Legion. Understand?"

His Legionnaires straightened and saluted with fists over their hearts. "Yes, General," they said and turned on their heels to make way for Roland to pass through.

Darius, meanwhile, did as Alanna requested, bringing the parchment, ink, and quill to her in the Great Hall. "If there is anything else you require....please, hesitate to ask," he said softly under his breath as he departed from her and her soldiers and quickly wandered upstairs toward Roland's chambers. Even in the midst of him changing into dry clothes, Darius burst into the room and looked deeply troubled.

Roland sat at the edge of the bed, pulling fresh boots on. "You look like you just shit yourself, Darius," he said, half-irritated.

"Your guest it seems....has taken it upon herself to....stay," Darius hissed and stood straight. "In fact...she's writing a letter as to that very intention now.

Roland sighed and threw himself backwards on the bed, the mattress giving considerably beneath him and he rubbed his face again, the scratches still fresh.  "Well....I suppose we'll have to put up with her then now won't we? If we must, then it seems we have an extra plate to serve at dinner, now don't we?" Roland rolled himself up and curled in on his side.

"What the hell happened to your face?" Darius focused on instead.

Roland's eyes looked up at him in a glare. "I fell. In the fountain in the chapel.  You'll find the mess there if you choose to look."

"And scratched your face?"

"Yes. Now do as I say. I'm not catching my death of cold here!  Leave me."

Darius chewed his lip coldly and bowed before taking his leave.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The woman did not comment on the man's snark but that is not to say that it did not go unnoticed. Had it been a different time and a different lifetime perhaps she may have even laughed at it. Instead she accepted the items graciously before steeling herself for the task of writing a letter she did not wish to send.

Writing had never been one of her strong suits. She had been well into adulthood when she had started to learn and for the most part the skill had only been used to send letters to her beloved during the war. That practice had ended years ago though with the news of his apparent death.

Alanna stared at the parchment before her, her eyes swimming with unshed tears and half-formed thoughts. Roland had taught her to read and write when they first met each other. She considered it a great and terrible irony that now the very letters he had shown her would now be linked together to form the words that very well may damn him.

She could hear the men milling about her and feel the eyes of her own husband's men boring holes into the back of her head but still she did her best ignore it. With quick, scratching strokes of the quill she detailed the usurper's reception of her and her company as well as the need for more time to determine what should be the next move regarding the fate of Falkenrath. Alanna could only hope as she sent the message away via one of her men's hawks that it would be well-received and that her hand on thai matter would not be forced prematurely.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

In the next few hours that would pass, Roland kept to himself in the Western Wing of Iron Keep. He didn't need to irritate Alanna anymore than she already was. She needed as much time as he did to respond to everything that had happened, everything that might happen, and the last thing he wanted for either of them to do was make a rash decision.

Roland had never before been so tense, not that his soldiers had seen. The Red Legion went about their duties regularly, without hitch, without so much as a barking order, mending worn walls,  scrounging and repairing equipment, and looking over the residents of those that called Vermillion their home.

To think what started as a company of 500 seemingly turned into 5000 overnight. And then even more and more followed Roland, or wanted to be a part of something rather than become another effigy in the desecration around them. Those that hadn't eaten in months, were wary of the Legionnaires that came into their hamlets and villages, and with them seed and tools. They didn't ask, they didn't force them from their homes. They tilled soil, letting their sweat fall into the same earth that the people of Falkenrath had in years before.

It was Darius that stirred the silence when he found Alanna, hands properly folded behind his back. His back was straight and even he had a fresh change of clothes. A soldier stood in front of him as he approached and he bowed his head. "I am simply here to ask if the Grandmaster would care to be invited to dinner with the Lord of the house."

He pulled from his sleeve a small scroll and handed it to the young Mordecai. "Here, in case you wish to deliver it to the woman standing behind you yourself," he said.  Darius took one step back, bowed his head again. "What shall I tell my lord?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The hours that passed were time well spent. Though mostly silent during that period, Alanna's mind was incredibly active. She was able to calm down enough to properly assess the situation and the real reason she was so furious. The Mordecai realised that she was not upset that her husband was alive or even that he was now her enemy. What bothered her the most is that he had felt he could not trust her with the truth, that she would not have listened or possibly even followed him. Alanna could not say even now what she would have done years earlier had she known the truth. She barely knew how to feel now for that matter. But, she did know she still loved him as much now as she had the day she married him over a decade ago.

Roland could change his name and change his loyalties but he could not change her heart. The revelation only made things that much harder for Alanna. As a woman she wanted nothing more than to renounce her title in place of being at her husband's side. As a soldier though she could only pray that it would not be her hand that was was ordered to end his treasonous life.

Unconsciously, she pulled her wedding band on a chain out from beneath her tunic and began to roll it between her fingers. Her actions drew the attention of the youngest of her contingent who sprawled himself out on a bench beside her. "Do ya evah miss 'im?" He asked his his familiar country boy drawl. His question was met with a questionable eyebrow raise.

"Yer 'usband. The lads 'ere tell of yousa marryin' some bloke and 'im dyin' in the war. Do ya miss 'im?" He repeated nodding to the ring in her hand. Alanna stared down at it in contemplation. It was a simple band made of iron and already beginning to tarnish from lack of proper care on her part. A kernel of shame flared in her breast at the realisation and she resolved to do better in the future.

"Every day. I still sit down each night expecting to start a letter to him only to remember..." She trailed off with a shake of her head. It was no longer the truth not that may of them needed knowing that. Alanna was saved from saying more though as the man, Darius her men had informed her, made an entrance causing all of her contingent to rise to their feet.

"Ya canna wait proper while the Grand Master reads the missive ya," Harold snapped while puffing up to appear bigger and passing the message off to Alanna. "She'll give ya an answer when she already and not 'fore then."

Harold continued to stand guard over Alanna as she read the message. No reaction played across her face but her heart surely skipped not one but two beats at seeming the familiar scrawl and dare she believe it, affectionate tone to the letter. A second reading did not change the words but certainly kept Darius waiting a bit longer for his own good. Alanna did not doubt how much he must despise her and was perfectly content to make him stew for it.

"You may inform the duke that I would be honoured to continue negotiations over dinner if that is his desire."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]