Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Dance to Remember [Closed]

Started by Juno, April 23, 2017, 06:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

OOC: This thread has been closed.

The summer ball had been such a boon for business and for the first time in her life Elysse was struggling to juggle all of the appearances she was scheduling while still giving her voice enough rest. It was thrilling to be able to do some proper singing for once and for pay, though. Fleetingly she wondered if she could sustain the kind of interest she was receiving for long to come. Wouldn't that be amazing? And profitable. Very profitable.

After flitting about the provinces for a few months she was relieved to be back home in Darken Vei, at least for the next few weeks before she was being called down to Tirial and the capital. She had a few performances booked at two taverns in nearby villages that had been her bread and butter for years but she was looking forward to a bit of new scenery, it was always a good thing to have new clients as they usually led to even more and it kept her working reliably as exhausting as it could be.

Tonight was a rather intimate party in honor of Lord Vertruse's daughter becoming engaged only the week before -although to whom she had not yet heard- and of course there would only be the finest food, wine, and dancing in celebration. It was certainly to be a who's who of the social elite as far as she could gather. Not that it interested her, but at least it had led to a job and perhaps even more work if she had any luck. A nice party needed dancing and good dancing needed good music, after all, and song she could provide.

She traveled the roads by horseback, her few necessary belongings for the evening carefully tucked away into her pack. Arriving well before the festivities would begin she checked in with her hosts and got a small tour of the public portion of their manor before being left to make her preparations in a side parlor.

There she dressed in a light blue gown, its silver accents and embroidery catching the light pleasantly as she turned about in the mirror to check for creases. Her hair was brushed to a shine and placed in a meticulous half twist that she secured with a few jeweled pins and a thin bow, the ribbon carefully chosen to match her outfit for the night. Delicate slippers replaced riding boots and then she settled in front of the mirror again to adorn herself in crystal teardrop earrings and a thin-chained choker inlaid with a few smaller crystals to match.

After spending a bit of time warming up her voice in private she headed out to the hall that would be her home for the evening. Now decorated, it took her breath away to see the whole thing nearly empty that would surely be packed with guests very soon. A moment's appreciation was all she could spare before she made her way across to the steps that led to the squat balcony where musicians were preparing their instruments for the evening.

She fell into the easy routine of discussing song choice and order as the musicians began some mellow ambient music for the guests arriving to drink to and mingle among friends. It was all she could do to be seated and wait for the proper music to start, her antsiness only showing in a rather restrained tapping of her foot with the rhythm as she observed all the finely-dressed people filling the room.

Zero

Who didn't love a good party? Actually these noble parties were just a tad stuffy and boring, but still, Lysander was not one to say no to all the free food and wine. At least there was promised to be wonderful entertainment. They'd hired musicians and even some singer. He couldn't pass up the opportunity to dance with all the very lovely young women that would be attending either. There would be many, and most were quite eligible.

Not that Lysander was looking.

Noble women could be beautiful and charming, but they were usually sticklers for marriage before giving him much. That didn't stop him from sneaking away on occasion with a particularly bold one. Still, kisses and petting were not always enough and even the boldest noble girls rarely actually put out for him – couldn't go losing their precious virginity to someone other than their husband. He wasn't necessarily bitter about it, they had their reasons and he respected those reasons. No girl had ever been coerced into being with him, and they never would.

Besides, he had no such problems with girls lacking in such high social status and expectation. No wonder he found lowborn girls so much more interesting. Sure, they often couldn't read and didn't engage him mentally with actual, stimulating conversation, but they didn't have the same hard lines to draw about premarital adventures with a charming young bachelor.

Lysander strolled casually and confidently into the main hall, all warm smiles and dignified gentleman as he greeted many of the guests. Most knew him. Those particularly swarming him were young, single girls from wealthy enough families to be considered within his range. The other notable group was businessmen closer to his father's age that he knew had young, single daughters near him in age. It was going to be a long party, what with him being questioned about when he planned on getting engaged a couple hundred times.

Of course he brushed it off with grace, chuckling and making up flowery excuses about waiting to find just the right girl. Lysander didn't think there was any such girl! How could you even say that you would want to be with a person forever? Marriage felt ominously final to him.

The ambient music was nice as everyone mingled, at least. Things hadn't truly started yet, but his gaze managed to find the balcony where the music was coming from. Silver eyes passed over the musicians quickly, holding little interest. It wasn't until they landed upon a woman sitting with them that he was given pause. She was not holding an instrument, simply seemed to be sitting impatiently. The singer he'd heard about? She must be.

Suddenly the party was much more interesting. There was a decided beauty about her features, and her costume was very fine. He liked the violet shade of her hair, and the way it shined beneath the chandelier. Lysander couldn't wait to hear her voice. If it was as lovely as the rest of her she would be a worthy pursuit indeed.

When she even happened to glance his way, he would flash her his most dashing smile, silver eyes sparkling with delight as he attempted to catch her eye. It was always more fun if they knew he was looking.

Juno

As the room filled it was hard to ignore the way one particular man seemed to be capturing quite a lot of attention from men and women alike. It was hard not to watch with the way he was clamored around like a piece of food dropped into a pond that all the fish wanted a nibble of. Even stranger, he smiled up at her in such a familiar manner when they made brief eye contact. Which Elysse promptly broke with a frown, bright eyes searching for and quickly finding her hosts to watch in their mingling instead.

With so many people around him she was uncertain why the silver-haired man had looked at her beyond a passing glance. She wasn't even singing. Did he recognize her from somewhere?

Her frown deepened thoughtfully as she reflected on that, trying to remember if she could place a name for the face. Had he been at some other party before?

She couldn't remember ever having spoken with him before or seeing him for that matter and yet... He still seemed familiar somehow in a way she couldn't yet place.

Elysse sighed and looked out at the drinks set out with longing. She'd forgotten to get some water before taking her seat and she could hardly be seen taking a rest before her work had truly begun. No matter, she was certain she could spare a few moments for it later when her vocals were a little less vital for carrying a song.

She looked on as a few ladies approached below, bubbly already from drink and the beginnings of a blush coloring their cheeks as they called up to them already asking after their favorite songs and probably far too eager for the night to be properly underway. The young cellist seated closest to her assured them goodnaturedly that their requests would be fulfilled, nevermind that the songs for the night had already been chosen by the hosting family. Luckily for them their romantic waltzes of true love and heroes were among them.

Elysse admired the way the musicians read the mood of the crowd so easily, seamlessly slipping into playful little riffs every so often to tease guests that were eager for the events to come. It was only when they received the firm attention of lord Vertruse himself and a wave to proceed that their music changed to the first song of the evening.

Elysse stood and smoothed out the skirt of her gown as many of the more eager couples fell into their pairs for the light homecoming ballad. She allowed the first few bars to play without her, bowing her head graciously before closing her eyes and letting the gentle vocals spill from her lips.

She was grateful her voice wasn't rough starting out for it surely would have ruined the upbeat tune swelling around her. Each song rolled easily into the next, growing from playful to serious. Then came one of her favorites, a widow's anguished song for the husband she lost to war. It allowed her to use a lot of range and emotion, needing to sound so believably heartbroken then fond over memories at various points. At least it made for good dancing.

At the end of it she was a little tired, though, panting lightly through a glowing smile as she was waved away by a few of her fellow artists. Their next song returned to being simple and light, carrying itself well without the few lines sprinkled throughout it she could have provided.

Stepping down she skirted the room and snagged a glass of water, just trying to look inconspicuous while she drank her fill and watched those still dancing in the center of the hall trying not to get dizzy just watching them spin about.

Zero

That grin only widened as the beauty frowned and turned her attention elsewhere. Lysander could practically see the gears working in her head. Although he wondered just what was going through her mind in those precious moments before the music began in earnest.

He was certain that he had never attended a party where she performed. Such a beautiful creature would not have been easily forgotten.

Sadly his attention was drawn elsewhere far sooner than he would have liked. It wouldn't do to be rude and unsociable at such an event just so that he could selfishly watch a single young woman. As men and women began pairing off into couples, he managed to catch an alluring young blonde for his first partner. Her attempts to fish for interest and compliments didn't hold much appeal to him. The girl was looking for a rich man to court her, and Lysander was decidedly uninterested.

At least he truly enjoyed dancing, and she was not ungraceful.

Easily moving through half a dozen partners as the dancing wore on, Lysander made just enough conversation and flashed just enough smiles to remain polite and charming. His real attention was subtly focused on the singing woman that had frowned at his smile. Her voice was positively enchanting. The range was impressive and you could truly feel the emotions she poured into every word. She was not a mere singer, but truly and artist.

When she took a break, he promptly excused himself and made his way towards her, without being completely obvious about it. After all, dancing was thirsty work and he enjoyed a cup of fine wine as much as the next young man.

Drink in hand, he moved along the sides of the room until he was beside her, eyes turned towards the dance floor as well, but his true focus was definitely her.

"Good evening, Madam. I apologize for disturbing your break, but I simply had to know the name of the owner of such a beautiful voice. Your performance is magnificent." It was so easy to give flowery compliments, but his were genuine as he glanced her way with a pleasant smile.

Juno

Elysse felt his lingering presence before he spoke but didn’t turn her head to offer a polite smile for his greeting until she was certain he was speaking to her. His non-direct approach to confronting her was noted, though certainly appreciated. There was almost nothing more awkward than trying to untangle herself from a face-to-face conversation that essentially left her pinned to the wall when she had other obligations to attend to.

For a moment she studied him out of the corner of her eye, his features so strikingly handsome yet also...approachable. It had to be the smile. Now that he was closer she was certain they’d never met before, though he still seemed familiar somehow.

“It’s no bother, sir. Thank you so much for the kind words.” It was expected she wouldn’t be known among this crowd yet, this wasn’t a place she ever would have been invited to as an attendee. She bowed her head briefly for the praise before introducing herself simply, “Elysse Reinsel of Darken Vei.”

She fell silent for a few moments, a lingering question in her eyes and the words bubbling just behind her lips before she turned her head sharply to look forward again, just watching the people on the dance floor while sipping at her water. Many of them she recognized at least vaguely from her short lifetime of residence in the province so she was quite certain she’d never met this silver-haired stranger. Perhaps he had just come from somewhere else for the celebrations.

“Forgive me, but-” She looked down at the floor with a small smile, a little embarrassed to be asking and hoping he didn’t take offense, “I don’t believe I know you. Are you in from out of town?" That was a fair assumption at least, she was certain some attending were so why not him?

Zero

Lysander wasn't sure just what he was expecting. Most women turned and gave him their undivided attention when he took notice of them. Or they had sought him out to begin with. This one kept her focus mostly on the dancers even as she graciously accepted his compliment and provided her name.

Elysse Reinsel.

What a lovely name, but one unknown to him. Of course she was a lowborn performer, not a lady of wealth or note that he would have knowledge of prior. Given her great talent he felt that perhaps he should have known her regardless! Perhaps not someone commonly hired yet for such extravagant parties?

When she asked if he was from out of town Lysander could not have hidden the amusement that entered his smile if he tried. He brought his cup to his lips, sipping the wine delicately as he observed her over the rim of his goblet, silver eyes sparkling just faintly.

"My name is Lysander Zylberdik, also of Darken Vei. My family owns property along the western-most mountains." Although that was perhaps slightly downplaying it.

Juno

While she couldn't have recognized him by appearance the niggling sensation of familiarity that had haunted her for the evening's duration suddenly explained itself: Lysander. That was a name she'd heard far too much about without ever knowing a face to put it with: rising gentleman, unapologetic playboy, and careless heartbreaker.

His family owned the mines, old money wealthy beyond her comprehension, and she'd heard far too much about his taste for bedding women below his own social standing. Perhaps she seemed an easy target for him among the sea of well-to-do ladies. She wasn't even sure that was such a terrible thing anyway, the general consensus seemed to be that he was great fun while he was around. It explained his popularity among the other guests, at least.

He was certainly handsome -perhaps even beautiful in a way- and charming with his pretty words but Elysse couldn't help but wonder if the rumors she'd heard about him were all true. Surely there had to be some truth to them. She was decidedly still interested, but her smile fell slightly as the illusion of mystery and the unknown vaporized before her.

"Oh. My apologies, Lysander. I know of you but I don't believe we've ever met." Elysse studied him out of the corner of her eye again, curious but wary as she sipped at her water. Then she turned slowly to face him and extended her free hand to him intending for a handshake. She couldn't sully a conversation by making it about business, could she? "But the pleasure is mine. Please let me know if you ever have need of a vocalist."

Zero

Calling any woman an easy target would have been beyond offensive and downright reprehensible. No, Lysander always looked for worthy targets. Yes, there were less obstacles in the way for lower born girls, but he didn't pursue them solely for the sake of pursuing them or purely to woo them into his bed (or whatever little hideaway was convenient at the time). The girls he chose for their beauty or grace, not just any girls just because he could!

If that were the case he'd have fixated on one of the pretty serving girls that made eyes at him - many of them did. He knew he was irresistibly handsome, and it wasn't all him doing the pursuing. Most of the common girls that attempted to catch his eye did so wanting expensive trinkets and favors from a wealthy lover.

Lysander wasn't really in the market for a mistress, but enough had managed to get some small thing from him. A rare few had been quite irate when he didn't take on a doting permanency to their relationship, but most parted amicably.

"Ah, it seems my reputation precedes me, as it so often does." Rather than appear either surprised or upset about this development, Lysander seemed very amused, grey eyes still glinting softly as she extended her hand. Rather than shake it, as she expected, he took a small step closer, taking her hand and bringing it up to place a soft kiss on the back of it. "I assure you, the pleasure is mutual, and I always enjoy the talents of a vocalist."

The way he said it definitely was teasing and perhaps just a touch suggestive.

"You know, it seems almost unfair that you have heard of me, and yet I know nothing of you. With such an angelic voice your name should be known throughout the province. Perhaps the next time my family throws a party I will have to insist you come sing for us." Lysander had kept hold of her hand that entire time, thumb lightly running over her knuckles, but finally he released her hand with another warm smile. "Forgive me if I am taking up too much of your time. I simply find myself drawn to and enchanted by such a talented beauty."

Juno

The kiss to her hand was unexpected and that showed quite prominently in the way her eyes widened briefly before softening to a knowing smile. It was polite enough, but the purposeful lingering of the touch made it that much more personal in a way that began to make his interest seem a bit more real. His flowery words, while nice, weren't all that convincing on their own.

Whether he was being genuine or not there was no reason to reject his proposal, though. Being summoned to perform for families of wealth and influence was certainly an ideal she hoped to achieve regularly in the future. She couldn't hide the twinkle of excited interest in her eyes. If he liked her voice so much then perhaps they could be of mutual benefit to each other.

"Thank you, that's a high compliment. I'd be delighted to perform for your family, you only need say the word," she insisted, a little proud that her work had managed to secure the interest of someone who could so easily turn the heads of those around him. Elysse knew she was relatively unknown, at least in his circles, but perhaps it was just the beginning of that becoming less of the norm. The night was still so young yet it might have already paid for itself many times over.

At his reminder, though, she lifted her head to look up at the balcony again, frowning thoughtfully as she tried to read the expressions of the musicians that were watching her. They moved seamlessly to the next song, but the music was decidedly empty without words to accompany it.

"Not at all, but I should get back up there," she observed calmly, setting her empty glass on a passing tray and briefly running a hand over her necklace to ensure it was still even upon her throat before looking to him again.

"It was good to meet you and put a face to the name at last. I hope we'll be seeing more of each other in the future, Lysander," Elysse bid him, her lips turning up into a delayed half-smile as she realized the double-meaning of her words.

Moving deftly through the crowd and slipping back to her post she joined into the music again fluidly. She watched those dancing below with a twinge of longing, occasionally rocking between her heels and the balls of her feet in time with the rhythm. As her bright eyes swept the room her gaze lingered on Lysander whenever she thought he wasn't looking, though, curiosity decidedly forming as she studied him.

Zero

Getting those kinds of reactions was half the fun, there was a certain thrill to seeing beautiful wide eyes or bashful blushes. Although the lovely Madam Elysse didn't seem all that prone to girlish blushes. Lysander wondered what it might take to turn those fine cheekbones to a pleasant shade of ruby.

He wondered what it would take to turn her crimson from head to toe. What a worthy and exciting goal that would be!

"Oh, I will undoubtedly say many words, Madam Elysse." Lysander gave a roguish grin. His family would be throwing galas routinely, and at the next he planned to have a very talented performer grace his family halls. Good for him that he could easily enough summon her to him with the guise of professionalism, but also very good for her. There would be very wealthy guests in attendance, as their were now, and the more who heard her talent the more attention and fame she would garner.

Attention and fame meant more lucrative venues to perform.

It was all around a win for both of them. He set aside his glass when she did, although his was far from empty. The wine was good, but not the focus of his attention in the slightest. Lysander couldn't help but grin so widely at her words that it crinkled the corners of his eyes. "Yes, I do hope so."

Silver eyes followed her until she was once more singing. Then his attention was once more drawn to the dance floor. A wealthy young woman with flaming red hair accompanied him back to the dance floor. There were others as the evening progressed. A brunette, turquoise, silver - they all blended together meaninglessly after a while. Lysander thought he must have danced with every single eligible young lady at the party before it there was another lull in the singing.

Of course, that didn't stop him from sneaking glances in the direction of the balcony at every opportunity. She was singing, working, but he wished to ask her for a dance far more than any of the girls he actually moved gracefully about the ballroom with.

Juno

As the evening progressed and began to wind down the tone of music gradually shifted to slower, lazier tunes. The addition of her voice was unnecessary as the energy within the hall leveled out to something decidedly more mellow. She could practically feel it as the room's excited buzz calmed to more whispered murmurings, but it was as it always was and not anything she took offense over.

When she made eye contact with Lord Vertruse she bowed her head graciously, a tired smile reaching her lips as she understood his small nod of dismissal from her duties. Stepping down from the balcony as quietly as she could she gave a small wave of thanks to her fellow artists as they continued on to a lazy waltz without her.

She watched the dancers at the center of the room for a few moments of silent appreciation before carefully navigating her way through the crowd, making her way along the perimeter of the room again. Elysse fully intended on taking her leave and getting changed to leave without partaking in any of the festivities herself.