Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Highway Bandit's Pregnant Lover

Started by pomelo, April 24, 2017, 09:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomelo

[[Tags to @Draconian . Sorry, the temptation to title this like a bad romance novel was just too high!]]

The rolling Connlaothian countryside passed by in what should have seemed an ideal pastoral landscape. Midday sun bathed the hills that were painted yellow with rapeseed and light green with young wheat and barley. Hedges of dark green trees and shrubs subdivided the fields and black streams cut shallow-sloped valleys into the gently undulating hills. In this corner of Connlaoth, for this short moment in time, one could almost pretend there was no war. That the country hadn't been ravaged year in, year out by Calent's senseless battle against his own people. And with each passing year, an end seemed increasingly unattainable. Out of sight. With every atrocity, each side entrenched themselves deeper. With each death, the idea of peace with the enemy – whoever one's enemy was – less and less palatable.

Even for one who had no 'allegiance' in the war, that much was clear. Maybe it was especially to the incidental people caught between the warring camps that an end, a halting of the violence, seemed utterly out of reach. Helpless as they were, it seemed, to influence any outcome.

That, at least, was how Lady Dahlia Gray felt, watching the hills roll by. Helpless. The war had come and upended every corner of her life. It had taken her husband, drawn into its torrents her oldest son, and compelled her to send her two younger children where they could live in peace, but as refugees, to a saner country from whence she may never see them again. And yet life went on. Unbelievably, stubbornly, and perhaps inevitably life went on. It grew in her now.

It had taken Dahlia some time to believe it. In the midst of all this chaos, loss, and destruction the idea of a new life seemed frankly unthinkable. And though she was hardly too old, only in her early thirties, she'd considered her childbearing years behind her. She had three beautiful children – all of whom were separated from her earlier than they should have been – with a husband she had loved deeply, and who now was gone. It had never occurred to her that she could have another. Even if she understood 'the physics' of the matter. But there it was. Here she was, on a public coach traveling from her home in Uthlyn to Highheart. At least the truth was hidden beneath her overcoat; she doubted anyone else on the coach suspected or had noticed. But without it was clear; she couldn't pretend anymore: Dahlia, several years widowed, was with child.

She resolved that she had to tell him. Lord Edward Draven, a man who would one day – and sooner than not, in all likelihood – be a duke. She'd wrestled with the decision considerably; it would be a scandal. It would upend his life as well as hers. But she couldn't keep it from him and be content with herself. And she knew, deep down, that Edward wouldn't want her to. Nor, she had resolved, was she coming to him now with the offer – should he ask – of being his wife and mother of his children. Only to give him this child, if he wanted it. She suspected he would; maybe that's why she was making this journey. Otherwise, what would she do? Give the child to the Church, perhaps. It wasn't an idea that she loved, but it would be more protected there, she thought, than with her. And Dahlia simply did not think she had it in her, raising another child after she had sent her own away. How could she? It was possible, if she asked, that one of her siblings would take in the child. But she had more or less effectively cut off her family after Lily and Riley left for Serendipity.

Well, one step at a time. First, she had to face Edward.

All of this was passing through her mind when there was a shout and the coach came to an abrupt halt, the horses whinnying in distress. Whispers of fear and distress passed amongst the small group of travelers in the coach, as well. What was going on? Why had they stopped? Was it trouble? When the bellow came from one of the driver, "Highwaymen!" followed shortly by the sharp sound of a gunshot.

They were being ambushed.

Draconian

There had been a tip off from some of his contacts that a coach would be traveling through today. Lucas stood off in the back, waiting, watching, and when he gave the signal, one of his men shot his gun at the driver before the others boarded. It was an easy affair, Lucas watched. Today though, they were going to try something new. A hostage.

Sort of.

Most of the boys couldn't read - all two of them, in fact - and Lucas was busy watching from the shadows, ready to jump in if things didn't go as planned. His horse shifted irritably, and he pat along the beasts neck. So far, no sign of a scuffle. Once it was made clear they only wanted valuables most people just resorted to crying and taking off necklaces and putting it in the boys bags. The instructions were clear to not hurt anyone. If people were dead, the hunt would be worse. Lucas shifted on his horse, waiting.

Then there was a scream. "Lucas!" His boys.

Lucas looked up sharply and dropped from his horse, foot steps were quick and pulled his scarf up over his face. He rushed into the coach and there on the ground was one of his boys, blood soaking his front, the knife still in his chest and a terrified woman with a gun - how had she gotten that? Was his his boys? "Don't come any closer!" She shriek, tears staining her face. Lucas went pale. His other boy was there too, holding his gut. He wouldn't survive that out here. He'd walked right into a place full of death.

While he didn't want to die, he quickly reached for his own knife and and his hand grasped an arm, quickly, powerfully, he yanked up the person - a woman in a large coat - and held the knife to her throat. "No one else has to get hurt, ma'am," He said, looking at the terrified woman. The gun still up. Lucas held the woman in front of him tightly, the sharp bit of the knife biting into skin.

"You don't want to cause this poor woman's death do you?" He questioned, the woman didn't blink, tears streamed down her face and Lucas took a few more steps back. Tugging his poor captive with him. If he'd known his boys were dead in here he'd have never come in, but now he needed a way out and that was with this girl. He tugged her out of the coach, her back pressed to his chest and he held her in front of him. "You keep my boys," He nodded to the coach, his poor boys. He heard a gurgle of his name, but he kept his expression stony.

Maybe he could ransom this one off?

He hair smelled nice, he noticed, which meant that she maybe came from money.

"C'mon along, miss, I'm sorry you have to experience this," He breathed into her ear, still tugging her backwards towards his horse, into the shadows. The people were more frightened of the prospect of dying from - perhaps - other bandits out in the trees to leave the coach and they held no alliance with the woman in his arms. "Think we can ransom you off? You're a pretty thing," And his back bumped into his horse and he sighed in relief when the dead bodies were dumped on the ground and the coach started to move - the safety of the people in the coach worth more than the one woman he'd dragged out of it.

"Got a husband? Family? Someone who may miss you?"

pomelo

It all happened so fast. The woman had looked rattled before the highwaymen came. Dahlia had just passed it off as the stress of traveling during these dangerous times. But even Dahlia, who thought so much about the war that had permeated into every corner of her life, had expected to make it safely to Highheart. But apparently not.

Everything happened in a blur. The woman had barely just attacked the bandits when Dahlia, watching ashen-faced, had been dragged quite literally into the conflict. Another Dahlia might have acted different. Fought the man in some way. Would she have? Or would she always have just stifled a whimper and stood frozen in the man’s grip? It didn’t matter, because now it was different: It wasn’t only Dahlia’s life at stake. What could she do?

The answer was nothing. And no one else was going to do anything, either. Dahlia watched in disbelief as the others let her be dragged off. It was surreal. But could she really blame them? In her heart of hearts, she didn’t. The man dragging her off, though, was another matter altogether.

”No. I’m a widow,” she answered in a voice that was trembling with equal parts fear and anger. ”My children are gone. My parents are dead. There's no-” In her anger at the situation, she nearly said, ‘There is no one who will pay your filthy ransom.’ But Dahlia just stopped short. Because the thought suddenly occurred to her, What will he do if he thinks she’s worthless?’

But still, she couldn’t bring herself to name her siblings. Braxton, at least, could pay something for her freedom. In the last year, though, Dahlia had essentially cut her siblings from her life. And Edward. Edward would pay for her release without question. But she didn’t like that either.

Think fast, Dahlia. What to do. She didn’t want to cooperate at all with this vile man, who she’d never even gotten a good look at, but what were her options?

Draconian

Hm.

Lucas slowly dragged her father into the trees, knife still to her throat. She was small enough for him to drag easily and he was glad she wasn't trained for war. Though if she was, he was pleased she wasn't using her hidden powers to attack him. Today was shit and the last thing he needed was an angry sobbing woman on his hands. One or the other was fine, but not both.

"Up on the horse," He said sternly, tucking the dagger away. With one less mouth to feed that would leave their rations up a decent amount. A glance behind him while Lucas manhandled the woman onto the horse, hopping up behind her and holding her close to him. Hand around her torso while he nudged the horse. He couldn't really quite believe they just dumped his dead boys and carried on without her.

"I apologize, Miss," He said, voice gruff. He had his thick grey scarf up over his head, only his blue eyes visible and he sighed. It was useless to look back. He hadn't mourned the boys before and he wouldn't mourn these ones. Though these ones were much younger. They'd clearly learned the hard way that anything could go south.

Lucas hummed softly while he nudged the horse along deeper into the woods. The beast bumbling along an almost unseen path that clearly only it knew. He'd light an extra candle for them but... "I'm sorry about your loss," He said finally. A widow. Children were gone. Parents dead. "I swear," He started, though there was a clear chuckle in his voice at the situation, "I can be a perfect gentleman while you're my ... Guest."

Now.

What was he going to do with his Guest.

Beside's feed her and maybe let him woo her enough to cuddle or something because damn if he couldn't use a good cuddle.

pomelo

Sob Dahlia did not. Was she scared? Yes. And angry, definitely. But she was made of sterner stuff than to let this bully cow her. Even if, as the knife edge at her throat made plainly clear, he had complete control over the present situation. The point was made even clearer as the wagon rolled off into the distance. Now Dahlia was alone. Alone with the gruff highway man who'd snatched her as a human shield from the coach.

As soon as he withdrew the knife, Dahlia's hand rubbed against her throat. She looked down at the bright red smear of blood on it. Not much, but there it was.

She didn't have long to think about it before she was manhandled onto the horse. Maybe it was better that he hoisted her up himself, more or less. If she'd mounted comfortably, it'd betray her class. Though how much more than her clothing that, while understated, was clearly well-made and of good quality. Dahlia was comfortable on a horse, though, and for a moment the idea crossed her mind that if she could knock him off, she might be able to ride off without him. Depending on the loyalty of the horse... But he was mounted behind her and she was pinned against his chest before she got the chance. And the horse was off.

Dahlia felt her heart speed up again. Bound like this, tight against a dangerous man that she did not know and could not see. Somehow, she thought, a threat was less frightening when you could see it. She wanted to scoff at his remark that he was 'sorry for her loss.' Sure. She bet he was always really sympathetic to the strangers he plucked from their lives to save his own. But she didn't. Watch your mouth, Dahlia, a voice inside her head warned.

Instead she only asked, "Where are you taking me?"

Draconian

Where was he taking her?

Lucas looked around, a brief glance behind him.

His boys were dead.

Left to rot in the middle of the dirt road. By the people. By him. Lucas sighed before he turned back around. "Well, your ride left," He stated the obvious, "And I doubt you want to walk to where you're going." Or did she? She probably did. She seemed feisty - not that he could blame her. His life situation made him act a monster a time or two but... Lucas didn't fancy himself as such. He kept her against his chest.

"There's a cabin we live in, probably loggers cabin but it was long abandoned when we found it. There's enough rations in there for at least a few months while I figure out how to sell you to your family." He didn't really see the problem with lying it out how it was. What was she going to do about it? Run into the forest and die? Even if she was good at camping the cabin was far enough away that she'd probably get turned around and lost.

Then eaten by wolves.

"It will be nice to have company that isn't men," He stated simply before he moved a hand to pull the scarf away from his face. The red beard was as groomed as he could manage and his golden blonde hair fell about his blue eyes. He wasn't an unattractive man, but he was clearly not a young man anymore. "You can be good, right? If you're no good at being Not Tasty to wolves you will get eaten out here."

pomelo

Unseen by the man seated behind her, Dahlia sneered at his quips. 'Well, your ride left. I doubt you want to walk.' As though this were all some joke to him. She could smack him. But, of course, she couldn't. His arm wrapped tight around her torso reminded her of that; and she silently prayed that his arm wouldn't stray downwards over her swollen belly. Maybe it would be to her advantage - make her seem more vulnerable, more sympathetic - but, for whatever reason, Dahlia did not want this man to realize she was pregnant.

"I told you, I don't have family anymore," she bit back at him, her temper fraying at his increasingly irreverent tone. "And I'm not 'nice company' and I'm not a child, so you can stop patronizing me about being a 'good girl' or being 'eaten by wolves.' I think we both know who the only wolf here is."

It was probably a mistake. Dahlia probably should be 'good company.' But the words came out before she could censor herself, and left her seething in the man's grip afterwards.

Draconian

Well.

At least she wasn't sobbing.

Lucas of course felt bad for how this all turned out but... Some part of him was... Glad? Maybe? His bite and wit threw him off and he just looked at her, keeping his arm secured around her. "Wolf?" He replied, voice deeper than usual in his surprise. He grinned, "Now, Lass," he said softly, "I'm hardly a wolf. I have no pack and I don't plan on eating you." No. He had no pack. The last of it was dead on the road.

And even then, they hadn't been a pack. They'd been his boys. Stupid fool hardy boys and Lucas was a little jealous that they were dead. They wouldn't have to see the rest of this shit-hole war. He'd get them later maybe. Burn their corpses.

After he took care of this spit-fire on his horse.

"I'll take on the wolf mantle though," He said softly, "I guess it would be ineffective to apologize for what happened? I needed a way out and you were it." He sighed, "Provided the season stay's nice you won't be with me long. I may look like a beasty-bandit but appearances are deceiving." Lucas kept the horse going for a while and the day dragged on, he wasn't really paying attention to how much time passed, just that it had and the sun was going down and it cast a glow onto the little wooden cabin nestled in the woods.

"Do you have a name, Lady Widow?" He asked softly after much time of silence, "If you don't want to give me yours I could just come up with something."