Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Row Boat Wars

Started by visualspice, May 05, 2017, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

He  couldn't erase his smile if he tried.
"I do apologize, my lady. Had we met under different circumstances I'm sure our troubles would be dryer."

Dryer would be nice, his clothing felt impossibly heavy soaked as it was. He stood there for a few minutes just letting the water pool at his feet and nodded once she gave him her name.

Maddison Hart? The name sounded familiar somehow.

He thoughtfully studied the lake shore. It was much harder to see the rocks at night. They should be just upon th-

A rock scraped beneath the boat and jostled it, unbalanced him as he stumbled ontop of the woman with an 'oof'.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

Maddison just sat there for a brief moment after he collided with her, apparently stunned by the impact of the rock against the boat, or Cullen falling on top of her, or both. It wasn't long, though, before she snapped out of it and attempted to move out from underneath him, clearly no longer in a joking mood as she glanced over her shoulder with a look of concern.

"Shoot, I'm sorry about that. We're not taking on too much water, are we? I... really would rather not swim the rest of the way if we can help it."

visualspice

Cullen got to his feet and assessed.
"No, I don't think so. " He moved to look out at the waters.
"Here, I'll take the paddles and guide us. Just let me know if you see any more rocks."

And off on the distance, he could still hear Tonell's screams.

They were almost there, and Cullen- eager to be out of the lake, paddled faster with heavier strokes. He dodged a few rocks before land became nearly palpable and he turned the boat and allowed it to float past another sharp row of rocks before the reeds cut open and obscured their view.

The waters were much more shallow here and Cullen didn't waste any time jumping out of the ship. The water was barely knee deep.
"Come on," he offered her a hand. "Gotta go on foot now. Leave the boat behind."
And once he had gotten her off the boat, he gestured for her to follow.
"Keep low and move fast."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

Maddison was willing enough to shuffle aside and allow Cullen to take the lead for a bit- he knew the way they needed to row more than she did, and it would do her good to take a small break after the frightening experience of thrashing around in the water just a few minutes earlier. She didn't allow herself to relax too much, though, and she made sure to point out any rocks she caught sight of along the way.

She seemed reluctant to step off the boat and into the water when they arrived at the shallow waters, but was quick to take Cullen's hand when he offered it and joined him in stepping off of the boat. It didn't take much convincing for her to keep up with him, considering she was quite eager to both get out of the water and put some distance between them and Tonell.

"What are we looking for, exactly? You said you had some sort of stash around here?"

visualspice

Cullen nodded.
"I purchased a teleporting stone. Cost me a pretty penny. We just have to find it in the reeds. The bag will blend it, but I counted my steps so we should be able go find it that way."

His eyes studied the bank before he decided he found the spot, grumbling about dark vision and nightfall.
"Should be thus way.. seventeen paces." And he stepped put of the waters and began to count.

"One.. two.."

Off on the distance it seems Tonell and his lackey had gotten onto a boat and were heading their way.

"Three... four.."

And that's when the counting paused, as black snake suddenly snapped its jaws from out of the shadows. Cullen cursed, kicking his boot hard at the snake and sending it back into the bushes before quickly counting to seventeen and seeing the near hidden bag and snatching it up. He then stumbled back into the waters.
"Got it."

He made quick work to open the bag and produced the stone. It just looked like any other stone, except a small yellow mark notched onto it's smoothed edge. He smiled at Maddison.

"Looks like lucks on our side. Give me your hand," he commanded, but soon as he did he grabbed her suddenly and pulled her to his side, as rhe black snake emerged again and bit at her, but ended up biting Cullen's arm instead as he put himself in the way and let out a curse.

He stumbled away from his companion and into the rocks and weeds, taking a few more bites to his arm before finally smashing the snake's head into a pulp. At the effort, Cullen wilted through a sigh and swore at the bite marks, now bleeding and seeping into his clothes.

Bunbun

"A teleporting stone?"

Maddison went a bit wide-eyed as Cullen explained what he had in mind for an escape plan. She supposed it was possible that such an artifact existed, although she wasn't well-versed enough in magic to be sure. What she was sure of was that even if such a thing existed, it definitely wasn't going to work on her.

She considered bringing this up a couple times as she followed close behind him, but the snake's interference interrupted her each time. The first strike was little more than an inconvenience, but it took all of the discipline she had to stop herself from crying out when Cullen yanked her away from the snake's second attack. She moved quickly to catch up with him after he fought off the snake, gently taking his arm and looking over it to assess the damage.

Concern crept across her face as she examined the bite marks. All things considered, it wasn't the worst injury she'd ever witnessed, but it had the potential to get a lot worse if nothing was done about it. Letting out a small sigh of her own, Maddison shot a quick glance over her shoulder to check for their pursuers before turning back to Cullen and letting go of his arm, taking a few steps back to put some distance between them.

"Listen- you should get those bite wounds care of as soon as possible. I don't know how severe a bite from that kind of snake usually is, but it's a bad idea to leave something like that untreated for too long regardless. You should use the stone to get yourself somewhere safe. As for me, I'm... well, the stone isn't going to work on me, so I can't come with you. You'll have to go without me."

visualspice

Cullen's face skewed at her words.
"What do you mean. We have to...." and then it clicked. "You're a mordecai... aren't you..."
And thinking back to their tussle on the boat....
She might even be more than that.

Bunbun

She stood her ground, but fumbled a bit trying to find the right words.

"Well... yes? I mean, not precisely. Look, it's not important right now. What matters is that the stone should work for you as long as I stand back like this. If you're going to use it, you should do it now- I doubt your 'friends' back there are going to wait too long for you to make your choice."

visualspice

Well this complicated matters. They needed to make a get away, and he wasn't about to leave the woman behind.

"Well, if the stone won't work for us, then I suppose we ought to leave the old fashioned way. You know, to run like hell. Think you can manage?" He asked with a grin.

"I know a safe house nearby. But it'll still be quite a run and Tonell will still have to contend with his sea legs, " he gestured for her to follow,  he pocketing the stone and moving swiftly from the river.

Bunbun

Maddison blinked, taken a bit aback by Cullen's decision. She could understand working together temporarily in order to get away from Tonell, but it was another thing entirely for him to refuse to use the stone for her sake. Then again, she wasn't particularly eager to try to completely fend for herself in a situation like this, so she gave him a quick nod and once again began to follow behind him.

"Hey, thanks for deciding not to leave me behind. To be honest, I didn't have much of a plan for... well, things going the way they did," she spoke up after a few moments. "I want you to let me know if you start feeling worse, though. It won't do either of us any good if you collapse on the way instead of just using the stone."

visualspice

Cullen's eyes went to the water. Tonell was closing in.  No doubt close enough he'd see them flee. Atleast they wouldn't have his gun to deal with.

He gestured for Maddison to follow, tossing his pack upon his back and moving low and fast through the weeds. He'd use the concealment for as long as he could, but eventually the reeds ended and he Whispered to Maddison, "Stay close.", and moved with haste across the open grasses. He spared one chance back to where Tonell began to dock the bought and snarled out a curse.

"We gotta move." He picked up speed, heading for the city fast as he could and hoping they could lose their pursuers on the narrow streets. The path he desired of course was being patrolled,  forcing him to take the long way towards the safe house where he paused in an alley way to catch his breath.

"We're almost there. See the red stone house? That's where we're going. We'll have to take the basement entry once the back alleys are clear of the scheduled patrols. "

Bunbun

It wasn't too difficult for Maddison to keep up with Cullen as the pair moved stealthily through the weeds. While stealth may not have been her area of expertise, she was a trained soldier at the end of the day and something like this was well within her capabilities. At least, that's how she viewed the situation, but when they stopped in the alleyway she couldn't shake the feeling that something felt off.

She took a moment to glance down at her hands, noticing them faintly trembling despite her efforts to remain collected. Damn. The whole ordeal must have rattled her more than she realized- adrenaline had been doing a lot of work in keeping her moving, especially during the brief scare when she had fallen into the water.

The built up exhaustion from the previous events of the night began to take hold of her, and for a brief moment Maddison had to brace herself against the wall to prevent herself from stumbling over. She closed her eyes and took some deep breaths to steady herself before opening them back up and glancing over at Cullen.

"Alright, sounds like a plan. Do you have an idea of when it'll be safe for us to start moving?"

visualspice

Cullen studied the guards and looked towards the sky.
"They'll be rounding this quadrant of town all night. But each block they move in figure eights," he gestured with his finger an example. "I see two infront of us, meaning two more might be heading this way, leaving only a gap of a few minutes between. Once these guards round the bend, we make a run for it."

He turned to Maddison and noted something seemed off.
"You alright?"

Bunbun

Maddison gave Cullen a quick nod of understanding as she listened to him explain the guards' movements. It was reassuring that he seemed to have a thorough understanding of when exactly they would need to act. However, she frowned a bit at his show of concern.

"Yeah. I mean... I should be. It's just... being tossed into the water like that must have taken a lot out of me. I'm not really used to it. Not like that, at least." With that, she finished steadying herself, pushing herself back off of the wall and standing back upright before continuing. "It's nothing to worry about, really. Besides, I'm the one who should be concerned about you. You are injured, after all."

visualspice

Cullen gave her a toothy smile.

"We can worry about my snake bite after we get rid of the guards." He returned his attentions back to the streets, ignoring the sweat and heat growing across his brow.

It seemed like an eternity until it was the right moment, but then he gestured to Maddison to be silent, still..then he moved.

Cullen moved fast, hunched low as he walked and kept to the shadows. At one point it seemed as if one of the guards was going to double back, and Cullen kept himself pressed against a wall and held his breath. But after a few moments the coast was clear again and soon the pair made it to the safe house, and Cullen made quick work to open the double doors on the ground that lead to the basement. It was difficult to see as the night was still dark,but he went in first and a few steps down he offered a hand to Maddison.

"We're almost there," be Whispered, giving her a small smile and keeping his eyes wary incase a guard decided to head back this way.

Bunbun

Maddison resisted the urge to glance around at the patrolling guards as she followed Cullen silently through the darkness, remaining intensely focused on making her movements as inconspicuous as possible. It was a good thing she did, too, as it was quite possible that she might have run straight into Cullen when he came to an unexpected stop if she'd been paying less attention.

She hesitated for a moment when Cullen gestured for her to take his hand- she could tell her hands were still shaking a bit from earlier and she wasn't particularly keen on letting him in on her nervous energy- but she figured it was better than taking her chances waiting around or stumbling aimlessly down the dark stairs. She took his hand, giving a quick nod before following him down the steps.

visualspice

The basement was dark quiet and a heavy scent of mildew and musk clung to the air. Cullen remained tense, allowing his eyes to adjust to the darkness before it seemed his own tension lessened as he sighed.

"Come. Stay close," he Whispered, and lead them slowly towards a boarded up window that allowed just a few faint fragments of blue silver light rays in from the outside. It was just enough light to show off a nearby series of shelves built into the wall and a stool to sit upon beside a rotting old chest.

Cullen gestured a moment for Maddison to take her choice of seats before he swayed a little but caught himself against the wall. The cracks of light revealed his far too sweaty form as he kept his eyes closed in hopes to quell the dizziness that befell him.

Bunbun

Given their close proximity to each other and the fact that they were holding hands, it wasn't hard for Maddison to pick up on Cullen relaxing as they entered the basement and she soon found herself following suit, letting go of his hand and taking note of his gesture to sit down.

She moved to take a seat on the stool, only to suddenly stop herself short as she caught a glance of Cullen's illuminated form resting against the wall. This time around, it was her turn to show concern for him as a moment later she was at his side, gently taking hold of his uninjured arm in an attempt to offer him some support.

"Please, Cullen... don't try to act like you're feeling okay if you really aren't. I won't have you suffering needlessly for the sake of easing my worries. If you need to rest or if there's something I can do to help, I want you to tell me, understood?"

visualspice

Cullen smiled inspite of himself and studied her face.
"Thank you for your concern, but I don't think rest will fix this." He grimaced and moved about in the low ceiling room, careful not to bump his head as his eyes scanned the scattering of shelves.

"I.. need to find the medicine box," he went on, vision clipping some as he paused a moment to rest his eyes. The room felt like it was spinning.

Bunbun

Maddison frowned as he pulled away from her and started to search through the shelves, but she ultimately decided against trying to stop him.

"Alright, I'm not going to force you to rest. But if you're not going to, then you can at least let me help look for the medicine. It's the least I can do, and I'd never forgive myself for sitting around doing nothing." With that, she left Cullen to his search as she hurriedly began one of her own, struggling slightly to make out objects and labels as her eyes adjusted to the dark.