Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Row Boat Wars

Started by visualspice, May 05, 2017, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Eastern... eastern wall," Cullen began, grimacing as he sputtered over the words. "That's where we always plan to keep healing provisions in our safe houses," he explained. "If this place still has it, let's check there first."

He paused a moment, still resting as his mind spun from the poison and attempted to get his barings. Recalling where they came from and the direction of the river, he was slow to turn and pointed at a back wall, mostly cloaked in darkness.

"Provisions, medicine and the likes ought to be along that wall. Hopefully.." he added, smiling a little in spite of their situation. "They'll be some antidote. Other wise, this is a rather poor place to die."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

Maddison paused her search for a brief moment to hear him out before giving a silent nod and hastily making her way over to the wall that Cullen was pointing at- so hastily, in fact, that she misjudged the distance to the wall in the darkness, bumping into a shelf as she arrived. If Cullen was listening carefully, he might have picked up on some... uncharacteristically colourful language muttered under her breath as she felt around, but soon enough she returned to focused silence.

A small shiver overtook her as Cullen casually brought up the possibility of there being no antidote stocked up, although there was no telling if it was out of concern or simply a result of her unpleasant encounter with the water earlier. She spoke up suddenly, half trying to distract herself from her growing anxiety.

"Please tell me you'll sit down or at least lean on something if you feel like you're going to collapse. It won't do you any good if you fall and hit your head on something before we even get the chance to treat your bite."

visualspice

Cullen couldn't help himself, despite their situation, he had to smile.
"Certainly would make your job easier," he jested. "Either the blow would kill me and resolve this issue quickly,  or I'd fall unconscious and wouldn't be able to fight back any disgusting medicinal remedies you might need to pour down my throat. Either way, sounds like winning. "
And somehow he made his dark jests sound charming.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Bunbun

Maddison visibly tensed up, apparently not particularly amused with Cullen's attempts to keep the mood light. "I do wish you'd take your own life-threatening situation as seriously as I do..." She pushed a few more objects aside before pausing to examine one that looked particularly promising. "Although... I suppose it's comforting to know you're at least well enough to still be making jokes." She gave a small smile, although it was fairly obvious that she had to force it. Taking the container off of the shelf, she turned to hold it out to him.

"What do you think? Is this what we're looking for?"

visualspice

Cullen made his way closer to her side, ignoring the swells of nausea and fever that he could feel as if swelling from the bite wound itself. 
He gave her a tired but cheeky grin when she scolded him and had to counter, "It's nice to know you are taking these seriously."

When she produced the box, he exhaled in relief.
"Yes, that's it! There should be various items inside. If there's an antidote for snake venom or poison, it ought to be labeled..."

He paused a moment as he felt himself swaying- except he wasn't moving at all, it was just rhe effects of the venom as it spread. 

"It.. shouldn't be locked. And see if there is anything else useful like.."

A wave of nause hit him and he grew quiet, the sensation ringing up through his body like the clang of a bell, clear once it struck, then a flooding, fading sensation in its wake as it chilled and equally warmed his body.

Bunbun

"Useful like...?" She repeated after him, waiting expectantly for him to finish his sentence while she began taking note of whatever she could identify within the container. It was only after a good few seconds of waiting for an answer that she looked back up at him and took note of his rapidly deteriorating condition. Instantly she was at his side, gently sliding an arm under his in preparation to support him in case he started to fall.

"Hey... hey. Stay with me, alright? At least for a little bit."

She gave his arm a gentle squeeze, monitoring him closely for a reaction before continuing.

"We really should get you sat down. There's no sense in taking the risk of you falling now that we've found what we need."

visualspice

Cullen gave a soft laugh. 
"I can not disagree with you. I.." he made a noise as he was lowered to sit on the ground, brow furrowing deeply in pain. 

"Fetch me the antidote," he felt himself away again and paused, groaning. "Please.  I.. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep conscious. "

Bunbun

Maddison found herself relaxing ever-so-slightly as Cullen agreed with her suggestion, allowing himself to rest on the floor. That was one less thing to worry about, at least. She didn't let her relax too much, though, as there was still the matter of the snake venom to deal with. She wasted no time in opening up the container and producing what she believed to be the antidote.

"Right, this should be it. Here," she spoke, kneeling down to match his level and offering it to him.

visualspice

Cullen sighed with relief, and shivered from the fever that continued to grow and plague him. Then he moved to take a sip, but suddenly doubled over, vomitting on the floor with a groan. The smell of the antidote had been too much in the moment, and he needed a moment to set his stomach right. He grimaced and knew he had to get it down. But what good would it do if he simply tossed it all back up?

Bunbun

Maddison recoiled from Cullen's reaction to smelling the antidote- it was far from the worst she'd witnessed during her time as a soldier, but that didn't didn't make it any more pleasant to witness, especially out of nowhere like that. Regardless, this was no time for her to start getting squeamish, so she quickly leaned back in after taking a deep breath to compose herself.

"Are you alright? Do you... think you'll be able to keep it down?" For both their sakes, she really hoped he would- the last thing she wanted right now was for Cullen's earlier jest about forcing the antidote down his throat to become a reality.

visualspice

Cullen grimaced.
He hated feeling useless against this and closed his eyes, trying to focus, focus, focus on anything but the fever, the shakes, the sickness and the pain.

He thought through it, reminding himself why he was here and that it was too easy to die like this. And like the soldier he was, he steeled his resolve and downed the thing, pausing a moment where be thought it all might come back up, before groaning dizzily as he wilted against the wall.

A moment later, he cracked a weak smile.

"And now we wait."

Bunbun

Maddison managed a smile of her own in return, relieved that Cullen was able to down the antidote without incident. Feeling a sudden surge of exhaustion coming on, she moved to take a seat beside him, closing her eyes and leaning back against the wall as she finally allowed herself to relax a bit for the first time that evening. She curled up slightly on herself, beginning to shiver as the last of her adrenaline wore off and she once again felt the cold sinking in.

visualspice

"You know.." Cullen began, taking a tired moment to study the young woman beside him. "I wouldn't have left such a pretty young woman waiting for our rendez-vous."

He afforded her another, genuine smile. Despite their situation, he was taking the effort to make light on it.

"You and I will... need to have a conversation after all this." He glanced around the basement, then grew quiet, listening into the night.

He still felt so damn hot. And so very exhausted. But then he noted her shivering and frowned.
"I'd offer you my coat, my lady, but I'm sure it's lost forever now in the lake."

He sighed at that. 

"It was a nice jacket."

Then he thought more of it and smirked, eyes truly sparkling.

"Well, I suppose it wouldn't have been much to offer a soggy jacket anyway."

Bunbun

"We will indeed," she responded when Cullen brought up the suggestion of discussing... whatever this was. "There's a lot I'd like to ask you and I'd imagine there's plenty you'd like to ask in return."

Cullen's joking around might have helped to keep the situation from seeming too dire, but it did little to help Maddison put the chilling cold out of her mind. She gave him a wary look, weighing her options in her head before shuffling close enough to press her body against his, gently nestling her head against his shoulder.

"Sorry about this. Just... trying to preserve some body heat if possible. I can stop if you're not comfortable with it," she said, although she wasn't entirely certain whether she was trying to reassure Cullen or herself with those words.

"And... sorry about your coat. I'm sure the other mermaids will appreciate the gift, though, soggy as it may be."

visualspice

When she shuffled closer he hadn't thought much about it but then..
They were cuddling. 

Well not cuddling, but...

"You know.. if that rendez-vous had been for us.. this would have been a nice out come."

He then smiled about the jacket. 

"No worries, I'll just try to steal it back from the mermaids tomorrow."

And though weary to the bone, he moved to put an arm around her to keep her close.

Bunbun

Was he... flirting with her again? She supposed it made sense now that they weren't in any immediate danger, but she'd never been particularly good at identifying when she was being flirted with. She wasn't certain how to respond to his first statement, but she was happy enough to offer a joking response to his second.

"Well, good luck with that. Mermaids are quite possessive- once they find something they like, they're not likely to let you pry it away from them. Might as well try to steal from a dragon's hoard."

Maddison shuffled around a bit as Cullen's arm wrapped itself around her, debating inwardly how she felt about the gesture until eventually deciding that whatever extra warmth it would give her was worth the added awkwardness. She fell silent for the next few minutes, eyelids sliding shut as exhaustion got the better of her and she slowly drifted off to sleep.

visualspice

How long had they been asleep? The pair must have been thoroughly exhausted to have fallen asleep in such a state. But whatever serenity the moment offered was abruptly disturbed.

"Hey, you two! Wake up and identify yourselves!" A loud, gruff voice demanded. The man was tall, heavy of muscle and had the homeliness of a mill worker.

Bunbun

Maddison sat up straight as the man abruptly startled her awake. Damn. She really should have known it wasn't going to be that easy. Internally, she was kicking herself for allowing herself to fall asleep instead of keeping watch, but outwardly she did her best to keep a straight face as she stared back up at the man.

"...You first. I think you owe us that much after barging in on us like this," she responded with a level of annoyance quite appropriate for someone having so rudely woken up. She never took her eyes off of the stranger, but on the side she was subtly attempting to nudge Cullen awake in the hopes that he might be better prepared with the situation than she was.

visualspice

She'd likely be able to see the angered glint in his eyes, which soon focused on Cullen as he groaned awake. It seemed the man had a mouthful to yell, but as soon as Cullen lifted his head, his face softened some at his words.

"Hey Ruger, long time no see."

"You unhealthy rat bastard," the other man snarled.  "What kind of trouble did you get into this time, Cullen?" He paused as he considered their state.

"Ah, so it was you two that had the guards up all night. Should have known your plan couldn't go off without a pitch."

"Hitch," Cullen corrected  , groaning a little as he attempted to stand.

The other man didn't seem to realize Cullen was correcting him.

"You two look like hell."

Cullen smiled ruefully at that and peered over at Madison.

"Yes, well, the worst of it was the snake bite."

The man's brows climbed ontop of his head.

"Snake bite? So you're telling me you let the guards chase you all through the town and in the end you let yourself get bit by a.snake?"

"Well, not exactly. I mean... who really let's themselves get bitten by a snake? Why, if anything, it was brought about because of my good luck."

"Good luck my ass. Told you karma comes around goes around." But then Ruger turned his attention towards Maddison. "So whose the broad?"

"I suppose introductions are in order.  Ruger, this is my mermaid rescuer and snake bite doctor."

Bunbun

Maddison's hands curled up into fists as the man prepared to give her an earful, ready to spring into action to defend herself in case things went south. It didn't come to that, however, as Cullen woke up and immediately defused the situation- apparently the two knew each other? Which was probably a good thing, but it also meant that she was once again out of the loop.

She moved to stand when Cullen did, offering one arm as support if he needed it while her other hand combed and brushed through her hair in an attempt to make herself slightly more presentable. She was content enough to wait and listen to the two men converse for now- well, until he said that.

"B-broad?!"

She went wide-eyed at that, apparently not quite familiar with being referred to in such a fashion. For a moment, she wasn't sure if she was more offended or just plain surprised, but by the time she'd collected herself enough to offer a response other than utter disbelief the conversation had already moved on. For now, she decided to hold her tongue until she had a better idea of who exactly she was dealing with.

"Maddison," she introduced herself rather bluntly, accompanying it with a brief nod. "I get the feeling that the two of you have a better understanding of what's going on here than I do."