Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Never Dis Noodles [Open]

Started by WallyD, May 08, 2017, 07:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallyD

Neppie slowly led her old donkey through the streets, her cart was brightly colored, the smell of food followed from behind, making everyone turn. She had her head down, heading to the main street to set up. Neppie turned and went down an alley, the main market place was seen at the end. A man stepped out of the shadows, blocking her path.

"May I help you?" Neppie asked in Yoreiq. The man laughed and pointed at Neppie, looking behind him.

"She's an outsider." He said looking back at her, three more men showed up, two behind her, the other next to the speaker. "How about we give her a warm welcome."

The two behind her advanced, one pulled out a bat, he grinned as he raised the bat, about to take a swing at her cart when Neppie ran forward, placing her palm onto his chest, pushing him. He flew back, hitting the wall and was out cold. There was silence as Neppie stood up straight, her head still down.

"You bitch!" The man's partner said, charging her, pulling out his knife. Neppie turned and ducked, sliding to the other side of him and ran to the other two men, jumping, her foot aimed at his chest. He reached up and grabbed her foot, and flipped her. Neppie's hands touched the ground, back flipping to the other side of the man. The three men stood in a line, the other two pulled out their weapons, one a mace, the other a short sword. Neppie stood up again, bowing.

"I suggest that you calm down."Neppie said, speaking in the common language. "There are plenty of noodles around for everyone." She looked up, grinning, holding out three bowls that came out of nowhere. "We have Vamp Garlic, Onion Butter, Mother rice, Blue lotus, Silver Moon..."

As Neppie rattled off the menu, one of the men ran forward, yelling. He stopped in front of her and  raised his mace over his head. Neppie stopped and jumped as he slammed down, landing on his back. Neppie, placed her foot onto his head and jumped off, forcing his face to connect to the ground. She landed, the bowls were left untouched. Neppie pouted, looking behind her.

"He didn't get to try my noodles." She said, sniffing. She set down one of the bowls and stood back up. Suddenly one of the bowls went flying. Everything seemed to go into slowmode.

Neppie was dogging a foot that kicked at her. The foot hit the bowl instead, sending into the air. The noodles left the bowl, and headed to the ground, spattering across the stone. The bowl landed and rolled into a stop. Everything went back to normal. Neppie's child like face turned dark, anger seemed to fill her eyes.

"You fucken ASSHOLE!" She yelled, punching the guy straight in the face. He stumbled back, but Neppie didn't stop delivering one punch after another. Eventually he dropped, his eyes rolled to the back on his head. Neppie turned to the last man, the one that stopped her from before. He gulped and raised his hands.

"Hang on. W-wait a m-minute. Let's talk about th-this!" He stampered. Neppie growled and charged him. That day, the alley turned bright, guards that showed up saw four unconscious men, all talking about a demon child. Down the block, in the main market. A brightly colored cart was set up, a lot of customers surrounded the place. A young girl was smiling as if she didn't have a care in the world. 

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Hey boss, looky over there." said a man clad in grey and green, a bow on his back. His "boss" had a red crossbow strapped to his back, an iron chest plate, a red plume sticking out of his hat, and was busy speaking with a market vendor about buying bulk ammunition.

This "boss" took one glanced at the scene and snorted, frankly he had no time for this. Meanwhile the attention of his entire group had been drawn to what one of them had pointed out.

The "boss" and his group consisted on a few archers and a few crossbowmen the "boss" had been at work speaking while the rest of his group had been lazing around, until one of them spotted the commotion.

Then men, save the "boss", began to chuckling at the spectacle, before having it turn into down right laughter at the men who tried to attack the lady.

"Ooooh, girl can pull a punch" said one of the men, faking a recoil.

"Yeah? I think they had it coming." laughed another. "I mean look at her face, it's all red!"

"Serves them right." a man from the "boss"'s left chuckled. "Teach them to be assholes to foreigners"

"Oi, how long do you think you can last against her?" One of the men sitting on a nearby stairway said, grinning a toothy grin while looking at the faces of the rest of the group.

"I won't imagine long, least not in hand-to-hand." snorted the man on the "bosses" left. "Now if I had my crossbow on the other hand, then things would be differnt..."

While the men laughed and commented on the beat down, the "boss" just shook his head. Back still turned, he continued to speak with the vendor, though even the vendor's attention occasional wondered onto the fight.

After the fight was done, the group(save the "boss")applauded, one of them even whistled at the spectacle they say.

WallyD

When Neppie knocked out the last one, she didn't expect someone to be watching. Multiple people in fact. She bowed, though she wasn't sure how they saw her.

Neppie had grabbed the reins of her donkey and led him to the open market. Setting up. Soon there were many customers, all wanting to try the best noddles in the world. Most took a day to cook, each had different colors and tastes. Soon the lunch rush left, and Neppie waited for her next customer to approach, wiping down her counter/bar.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Oi boss." Said one of the crossbowmen. "We'll be right over there, Holler if you need anything."

The group of men who was originally with the "boss" had decided to wander off to the noodle.

"Hey there doll, what's all this your selling?" Said one of the men, he had a bow on his back and a smile on his face. His introduction lead to a uproars of jokes and laughter by his mates, as the men around him started to surround the noodle cart at the various cooking utensils and ingredients with curiosity.

WallyD

Neppie looked up with a toothy grin.

"Noddles! That's what I got. Taught by the Master of Noddles, these are the best you'll ever eat. Since your looking, how about you guys buy something! I got a whole bunch, here's a menu!" Neppie said rapidly, acting like she was on a sugar high.

The menu was four pages, front in back. There were different flavors, all with strange names but had common ingredients. Neppie leaned on her hand, still smiling.

"Go on. Buy one. You won't regret it."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

The man took the menu and began to flip through it, his mates peeking over to try and see what was on the menu.

"Cow liver? Who the hell eats cow liver."

"How do you pronounce that?"

"Oooh, so many choices."

"Is that raw?"

"Is that suppose to be noodles? But it's flat!"

A barrage of questions and comments came from the party as they looked through the menu.

The original man who spoke just gave a defeated sigh, still keeping his smile, he handed back the menu.

"So many choices...tell you what, darling, since your the master, why don't you give me your favorite."

WallyD

Neppie thought about it. She had many favorites, or if one looked at it a different way, she had no favorites. Eventually she nodded, fired up her two tiny stoves. They seemed to turn on by themselves, the flames shot up into the air and fell back down to a small flame.

Neppie​ tossed a large pot with water into the stove, and grabbed a bundle of homemade dried noddle strands into the water. She unwraped another bowl, clearly chilled and put it in a pan, placing it onto the other stove. Neppie started to chop some ingredients and looked back up at the men.

"The noddles will be a while. Care for a drink? They are hung up here." She pointed to a small sign that was on the wall behind her.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Nah, we're good." said the bowman as he patted a water skin on his belt.

"Oooh, nice trick you have there." said one of the bowmen as he looked at the stove. "Is that magic? Or one of them fancy do-dahs from Connoloath?"

"Probably magic." snorted a crossbowmen. "My people are generally not known for their fancy footworks in cooking, probably call this primitive if anything."

"Well primitive or not, we'll see how it tastes." the leading bowmen said, leaning against the counter,as he turned his attention to the cook. Keeping his cool smile, he said"Darling, I notice your not from around these parts..."

"I think the men yelling about it earlier gave that away." laughed one of the bowmen's mate.

"Well, yeah, I guess they did." chuckled the bowmen. "Well, on behalf of all of Sereians, I do apologize for them; our people aren't normally this mean and assholish. But, alas, some of us were never taught manners."

"Speaking of bad manners, here comes the big o'l Walt" said one of the bowmen in a hushed tone.

Indeed, in the background the Beast Wizard was rudely pushing through the crowded, even knocking some passerby over.

"Oh boy, maybe we should do somthing." said one of the crossbowmen as the attention was shifting away from the cook to their beast wizard friend.

But the lead bowmen kept his focus on the girl. "So, where do you hail from?"

WallyD

"Well Im originally from Yoreiqi​ Isles but I moved here​ and became a chef of sorts." Neppie said, sliding a mix of chopped roots and nuts into the pan, grabbing some oil and drizzled some inside. The pan sizzled and Neppie put a splatter guard over it. "Been here for a couple of year, so I've been to a few places, though I recently became a Master."

She looked up smiling, taking the pot off the stove, replaceing it with a smaller pot. The rest of the items she had chopped were placed inside. Neppie opened a cupboard and pulled out butter and a jar of milk, and added them to the smaller pot.

"How about you? You are a colorful bunch, have you traveled a lot?"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Oh gods!" said one of the bowmen looking away from the booth.

It appeared on the passersby Walter had knocked over was now yelling at him.

"Dammit!" said one of the other crossbowmen. "Excuse us for a secound."

Not all of the men left, but those that did were sprinting full force for the big wizard.

The lead bowmen gave a sideways glance at the situation, as the group of the men making their way into the background was putting themselves between their wizard friend and the passerby, frantically trying to apologize for their wizard friend.

He rolled his eyes at the spectacle, before he continued to answer the women's answer.

"Oh we've been plenty of places, but I don't think we've been that far south." the bowmen said, taking a minute to think. "Think the farthest south we've ever been is Adela."

"Yeah, we had that one job of returning the damn dragon back to it's home." chimmed in one of the bowmed.

"Well there you go." The lead bowmen looked back at the women. "I've always been curious, I've heard much about the Yoreiqi Isles, but tell me, are any of what they say is true?"

WallyD

"Like what?" Neppie said, looking up. "We Yoreiqi are strong and hardy. I can also assume that you've noticed that I don't look like most. I lack in both height and wings." She paused, watching the commotion behind the man before continuing. "Is that what your wondering about? The wings, or is it something else."

Neppie placed out some bowls, turning down the stoves, and started to place noddles into the bowls.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Well... yeah, actually." said the lead bowmen. "Heard much about the wings, but honestly couldn't really believe it."

The men in the background meanwhile was starting to push and pull Walter back towards the noodle stand, trying to avoid any problems the big man might make.

WallyD

Neppie laughed. "Nothing to really say. They're useful, I've been told that their a pain in the butt sometimes. I happened to pick the short straw and got nubs. I call them chicken wings!"

She finished the fried noddles and placed them into bowls as well. There was over all three different types. The fried noddles had a hazlenut sauce with nagaimo and walnuts. One of the other flavors was a lightly butter and salted noddles, the top was decorated with a radish carved and shaped into a small lotus. The last one was a simple bowl, consisting of a red sauce, though not tomato with parsley on top.

"There you are there should be enough for everyone. Including your wizard friend and friend over there, if he wishes to join." Neppie said nodding over to the one man who didn't come over, "the boss".

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Much obliged." said the lead bowmen as the wizard was pushed back to the cart, the men who lead him were panting hard.

"Dig in boys." said the lead bowmen as the men started to crowed around the stand trying to grab a bowl.

"So what do we owe you?" said the lead bowmen as one of the crossbowmen carried out two bowls to the wizard, handing him one.

The wizard tooked the bowl of fried noodles with hazelnut sauce, looking at it with a curious face, he began to sniff it as his companions around him began digging into the food.

WallyD

"Five a piece for each bowl. I like you guys, so it's a discount. But next time you come it'll be full price." Neppie said, never once dropping her grin. "One has to earn money somehow. Speaking of money, what exactly do you guys do?" Suddenly Neppie became really excited. She leaned across the counter, practically jumping up and down.

"Are you knights? Do you slay dragons and save damsels. Oh, are you crooks that sneak through the night, taking only that of one does not need. Or are you fisherman!"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Of course" the lead archer said reaching for a small pouch on his belt, before looking at the rest of the men. "I'll cover lunch for today, but I expect rounds to be on somebody else tonight."

"Thanks sarge." a more or less unison echo rang from the men, as they continued to slurp down and devour their lunches.

The beast wizard, upon seeing his comrades eat, stuck his face into the noodles, not even bothering with the utensils.

"Well miss, can't say we're dressed for all those jobs..." chuckled the lead bowmen. "...but we can certainly do all of those things, should the need require..."

"'cxcept the sarge can't fish for shit." said one of the bowmen sitting on the ground, back to the stand and his face buried in the noodles.

"Shut it Pete, she was asking me not you for your opinion." said the sarge, to the amusement of the rest of the men.

"Well mercenaries lass." said one of the crossbow in between his slurp.

"I mean that's the technical term." chimed in a bowmen also sitting on the ground. "But it's so unromantic , I think huntsmen-for-hire has a much ring to it."

"Only thing unromantic around here is you, lad." replied another bowmen causing an uproar amongst the other men.

WallyD

"Amazing! I traveled with a mercenary group before. Well, they were more like sexy female assassins, but they were nice. Kinda intimidating though. I was their cook for a while." Neppie said cleaning up around her, the pots were placed in a basket. She looked back up

"You guys in a job now?" She asked

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

One of the men sitting on the ground almost choked on his food after hearing what the women had said and started coughing, before his mate on the ground starting his back really hard.

"Female...assassins?" the man managed to get out between coughs.

"Look, I know we're desperate, but that doesn't mean any lot is going to throw in with us." said one of the bowmen standing. "Maybe a good thing to, seeing how the assassin's we usually run into wants to kill us, or kill someone else."

A wave of agreements were murmured out through the group, as they talked amongst themselves.

Walter on the other hand, had finished slurping the last of his noodles. As he brought down the bowl to reveal it empty, the last of it's content disappearing into Walter's mouth before he unleashed a loud burp, much to the surprise of one of the crossbowmen in mid-slurp.

"Well, not at the moment, we just finished one." said the lead bowmen, still leaning against the stand. "Smoking out a bandit camp, wasn't easy but we got the job done. We're having some down time restock, tis why we are even here."

The lead bowmen then started to smirk. "But don't you worry about us. The cap'n will get us into more trouble soon enough."

WallyD

Neppie wasn't sure what the men thought when she spoke about the assassins but she didn't mind the change of subject.

"Your Captain? Is he the one who didn't come over. I guess he's finding that trouble." Neppie said resting her head in her hand. "So what do expect your gonna do?"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"What they will expect to do is help me with the ammunition after there done eating." A voice came from behind the lead bowmen.

Turning his head back, the bowmen smirked. "Ostwin! You got to try these noodles out, it's quite devine."

"The sarge is right you know."

"Could almost beat Gammy's cooking."

"Don't let Grammy here you or he'll have a fit." Ostwin replied to one of the men's quips, before stepping forward to the stand.

Ostwin examined the noodle, looking questionably at the lead, who nodded and said. "It's on me."

Shrugging, Ostwin picked up the bowl, grabbing a utensil and digging in.

Tags: