Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Scratching Out an Existence [DragonSong]

Started by Marakai Trin, June 11, 2017, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

"Hmmph. Connlaoth, the land of fools, blinded by foolish teachings. This ought to be interesting." He glanced up at the sky and thought for a moment.

"Well, this is going to take awhile. If you wish, you can fly. I'll walk, and make my way there in my own time. I've no need to stop, for anything really, so you can expect me sooner than you'd think if you don't want travel on the ground."

He grinned, and tossed a barb to Kit:

"Since I really don't think he's strong enough to carry me."

DragonSong

Kit's growling grew loud enough to echo off the gilding around them, and Kiara laid her hand on his shoulder.

She gave Edge a very dry look. "No offense, but...I don't exactly trust you, and you are being way too comfortable with all this. I'm not about to let you go unsupervised."

Marakai Trin

Edge glanced from Kit to Kiara, his smile quickly disappearing. He arched a brow.

"The reason I'm so easy about going, is because I have absolutely nothing to fear from either of you. And this isn't my ego talking, either...perhaps when we're out of Arca and away from masses of people, I will show you what I mean. I don't worry about you, anything on the way, or those misguided fools in Connlaoth."

DragonSong

Dragon and girl raised their hackles- one figuratively, the other literally. "Very well." Kiara's eyes were sharp, predatory. "Stick close then. Nothing clears a crowded street like a dragon."

Marakai Trin

The thought came inbidden:
I could show you some things that would clear the city....

He quickly put that aside, and instead offered a stiff nod. "Very well. Lead the way, then."

DragonSong

Kiara nodded in reply and gave Kit a little tap with her heels to move him forward. She didn't seem to invested in watching their companion, but the dragon's golden eyes were constantly flickering over Edge, making sure he didn't try anything.

Marakai Trin

As he followed Dragon and rider, Edge mused silently to himself. He wondered idly just what this journey had in store for him, and just who this mysterious person was that wanted him.

Usually, when he was wanted by anyone, it typically didn't go well. But this was a consequence of his life that he'd grown quite used to, having to pick up and move after a particularly chaotic meeting. He only considered himself lucky that for once whatever would happen wasn't happening at home.

Maybe for once he'd be able to actually get back to normal life, rather than start a brand new one.

Edge sighed wistfully, and glanced upward, his gaze having dropped to the road without him realising it.

"So. We're going to be travelling together for awhile, I might as well figure out just who I'm dealing with. I have your names, but that's it. What do you do, other than plucking people from their trade to journey halfway around the known world?"

DragonSong

"What, you say that like it's a bad thing." Kiara sighed a bit and let herself drape over Kit's neck, glancing sidelong at Edge. "And look, no offense, but in my line of work it normally doesn't pay to...get real chummy with targets- ah, clients."

That hadn't really worked out well for her before.

"If you're so keen on talking though, what about you? You don't seem all that surprised by the idea of someone sending a bounty hunter after you. Not exactly typical."

Marakai Trin

Edge smiled widely, keeping his gaze on the path ahead lest he accidentally gave himself away.

"Mmm. You'll find that out in time, I'm sure. I think if i were to tell you anything right now, there'd be a panic. And besides....I've been through this whole song and dance before. Always someone different....though, usually, they have the stones to come to me, rather than sending a third party"

He then let his gaze flick to her, a smile tugging at his lips. "So, now that you've accidentally divulged that you're a bounty hunter, what sort of targets do you usually hunt?"

DragonSong

"Uh-huh." Kiara stared at him. "Thaaaaat's not concerning at all..."

Kit growled, making a few passerby jump and whisper to each other.

Shaking her head, his rider shrugged and said simply, "I'm not always a bounty hunter. So...depends, I guess."

Marakai Trin

"Hmm. Intentionally vague, but I can respect that. And you're friend here is going to cause a panic if he's not mindful of his own presence."

He tilted his head, and eyes the Dragon. "Just some advice. Let's save the aggression for outside the city, hmm?"

DragonSong

"Do not think I cannot watch out for myself," Kit snarled quietly, eyes snapping.

"Easy." Kiara laid her hand on the spot between his shoulder blades that normally calmed him some. She quirked an eyebrow at Edge. "We're used to drawing attention. Does it bother you?"

Marakai Trin

Edge frowned slightly at the Dragon as they continued onward, though decided not to answer that remark. He'd rather not rile him up just yet.

When Kiara asked about his dislike of attention, he crossed his arms over his chest. "I've spent the last several years avoiding attention. Of course I'm uncomfortable with it."

He scoffed, and turned his gaze back to the path ahead. They'd be out of the gates soon.

"Let's just...get out of the city."

DragonSong

Kiara shrugged. "Alright, alright. To each her own." She glanced down at their mark. "Sure you don't want to hitch a ride?"

Kit grumbled at the idea and she smacked his shoulder. "Be nice."

Marakai Trin

"If it's all the same to you, I'll walk. Trust me when I say that you'd rather him not try and carry me."

________

Some time later, they'd finally navigated the narrow streets of the city and found their way out of the gates. Edge found himself glancing back and forth, expecting demon hunters or mages to ambush him. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time.

Yet, it all seemed quiet. He regarded the scenery with an indifferent, thin-lipped facade. "Well. There's the road."

DragonSong

"Yup." Kiara popped the "p". "There it is indeed." She glanced down at her companion as she let herself sprawl forward over Kit's neck. "You're certainly a chatty one, aren'tcha?" Somehow her tone managed to be both dryly sarcastic and sweet all at once.

She glanced upward, judging the time, and gave Kit a little tap to urge him forward. "C'mon. If we make good time, we can get some distance between us and the city before making camp for the night."

Marakai Trin

Edge huffed. Camp.

He had to remind himself that he was travelling with mortals....or, rather, beings from the material plane that  occasionally needed sleep. He needed no such amenities, though he supposed he would have to play the charade to keep up appearances.

"Perhaps a copse of woods would suffice, if you're worried about drawing attention."

He stepped out ahead of Kit and Kiara, walking north along the road.

DragonSong

She shrugged. "We'll camp where we drop. Come on." Kit sort of lumbered forward, grumbling complaints about how much faster they would move flying.

Tags: