Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

The rambling thoughts of a traveling dwarf

Started by RogueWolf, May 25, 2017, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueWolf

Blue skies and reasonable heat the sun at my back and the world ahead of me and yet once again nothing presented itself to be for study.  If only I were a scientist I could study the nature around me with more than a passing interest.  If I were a mage I might toy with the earth underfoot or the wind in my beard.  If I were a merchant I might find value in the rocks or minerals around me.  The skins of the creatures scurrying past might interest a trapper.  What value does any of this have for a humble thief?

Having not seen a single soul traveling today I took to velintroquism and the show I put on for myself would have been extraordinary for anyone that might have stumbled upon...me.  It is one thing to be an actor in a play, something entirely different to play several parts in a play.  I performed today the entire works of Sir Grath giving each character a unique voice.  If that were not enough I began to throw my voice to the left and right as required by the play.  Now I fear I'm in need of saltwater to gargle for the next few days. 

RogueWolf

Wind and rain drove me into the den or burrow of some great beast.  I'm assuming a large carninvore by the size and number of the bones I found laying about.  The heigth of the burrow gives me more to worry about than does the length and width.  What manner of digging creature creates a den where  a dwarf can stand upright comfortably? It is large enough for me to start a fire for warmth and then to sit and write by the light of the fire as well.  As the wind and rain howls outside I can only hope that whatever beast calls this dwelling place home will not return whilst I am sleeping.

My belongings didn't make it through the night as unscathed as I would have liked but that is the rain's fault, or possibly the rain soaked soil's.  At any rate the sun looks like it is trying to come out and it will repair the "damage" done to my belongings in a matter of hours.  No time to write it is time to gather some breakfast and once again strike out on the road.

RogueWolf

A bald and bearded dwarf walking down the road alone apparently is not enough to set off alarms in the minds of some would be ruffians.  Beset by rogues in broad daylight no less.  What they were possibly after I have no idea.  None of my current belongings are worth anything other than to myself.

I don't remember much of what happened, I never do.  The wolf takes over, takes control, and the hell it unleashes results in massive carnage.  Not so much the wolf, the wolf I remember.  It is the other.  The monster that lives within my skin and comes out unasked.  His presence nips at the back at of mind at times trying to take over.  Other times he rushes to the surface throwing thought and reason to the wayside.  The latter must have happened with the five would be thieves who ambushed me.  Aside from a verbal sparring I recall nothing until I regained my wits covered in blood not my own.  So drenched in the red liquid was I that I may have bathed in it.  As I washed myself off in a stream I could see bits of viscera dislodge from all over my body.  Why I had the tip of a human tongue stuck to my back I will never know.  I do know the nightmares of these kinds of encounters can stop at any time, but I fear they will not.

Tags: