Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Strange Coincidence.

Started by WallyD, September 02, 2017, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallyD

There was a peaceful town, rather small and seemingly unimportant, but none the less, peaceful​. And there, upon the main road was a young traveler. Their clothes were dirty and there was heavy air around them as they dragged their feet across the stone.

Canary couldn't help be let out another yawn. Slowly a boney hand reached up to meet the gaping mouth. It had been almost a day since Canary got "proper sleep" and they could feel the fatigue running through their body. Unfortunately they were use to it.

As Canary shook their head lightly, they looked at the world around them; their eyes seemed to widen as though they have not seen such a town before. Which they have not. People bustled across the road, shopping at different stalls, voices travelled in the air.

Canary continued down the road and stopped in front of an inn. They reached​ to their​ side and opened their pouch. Not enough for one night. They signed and walked to the building wall and sat down, watching as people walked by the tiny figure.

There was a soft clink and a small coin rolled across the road and stopped at Canary's feet. And then another followed after. In a swift movement, Canary picked the coins up and placed the tiny bits of metal in the pouch. If one was purposely looking at oddities then they would notice that almost every dropped coin would end up at the strangers feet.

Canary continued to work their magic slowly, their eyes would close once and awhile, drifting off to sleep before jerking awake by the tap on their foot from a coin. That was when Canary saw the strangest person... Creature? Person ceature thing? This person ceature thing looked as though they were a ferret, although Canary has never seen a ferret before, so this person looked more like a masked cat. Canary ignored the coin that rolled to their feet and continued to watch the strange person.

Wrathwyrm

Of course, the main road into La'Marri doesn't main road unless you really want it to.  That is, it is less likely for wanderers with no direction to go here, or for attackers to ever make it here.  A little magical defense brought forth by those who founded the place.  La'Marri is a town of mystics and other people seeking refuge.  It is considered a safe place, especially for those who wish to hone their skills.  Of course, if Canary had heard of it - which was certainly possible - and desired to come here because of its status, the road would hardly be of mind to deter them.

People were naturally curious, and a bit watchful, of newcomers into town...but open and friendly enough.  Their security was a good filter, but it was not a perfect one.  No assumptions were being made here, especially when - due to the nature of this town - they'd seen alot.  For instance, one example...  As the subtle sounds of fallen coins and their roll towards Canary occurred, a pair of black ears perked up.  During one of the newcomer's moment's of drowsiness, a woman had entered the street, intent upon buying a few necessary things for her home.

It would not be exactly rude to stare, for you would not expect one such as this.  The term 'Beastkin' refers to a humanoid kin who are very much the beast.  Some people knew of them, others did not.  Those who DID know were less than likely to know that any of them came in ferret form.  This woman, for it had the build of on who was also quite the athlete, was mostly black-haired all over her body, except in certain places which worked as a sort of highlight to what was in black.  She was a naturally masked person, with her limbs all black, and it being her torso and head that had any white on it...though that was hard to see exactly because her shirt and pants almost matched her black fur!

There WAS a reason for such an attire, of course, and it wasn't to be edgy.  While the curious ferret-person may have had eyes in a lovely shade of violet, she was actually colorblind.  Even still, the ears twitched at sounds and the nose was engaged as she seemed to be putting things   Then, as she paid the store owner she was buying from, a coin fell from her grip.  However, if Canary tried to grasp it with her power, she would find that...it couldn't be reached!

WallyD

Canary watched as the women drop a coin. Immediately they felt their magic stretch out and touch the coin but become puzzled. The coin laid unmoving, even though Canary could feel the metal with their own ability.

They paused, unsure if they should continue. It was too much work to try to get this one coin, but there was something that bugged Canary and they wanted to find out what.

Canary added more force on the coin, leaning forward and squinting at the piece of metal. The coin slowly began to shake but Canary eventually let it go, sighing in exhaustion. They leaned back against the cold wall and unconsciously closed their eyes again. Another yawn was felt creeping on and when they opened their eyes to meet it, they were surprised to see something else.

Wrathwyrm

The coin had indeed shaken, but it clearly was not going anywhere.  As Canary sat back, a small snort of amusement might've been heard.  Yes...it was from across the street.  The ferret didn't look at them, but there was a decided smirk upon her face as she leaned down to pick up the coin.  Now, it may just be a coincidence, but the truth of the matter is that she had been fishing.  You could consider what just took place as Canary having taken the bait and confirmed something for her.

Now, she pocketed the coin and seemed to head off.  Down the street, around the corner, and gone.  Except...not exactly.  Up a drainpipe, using her claws for extra grip by hand and foot, and then onto the roof, where she put down the sack on the building that overlooked Canary now.  Why?  Curiosity.  She had potentially found a Ferromancer.  Another Ferromancer!  She wanted to observe for a bit and see what they would do.  Were they trying to follow?  Continue their subtle work?  Take a breather?  Let's just see, for a moment...

WallyD

Canary heard the snort and watched the women walk off. They were not completely sure what just happened but it sparked some sort of curiosity​ in their mind.

Just then there was another tap as a coin hit Canary's shoe again. Suddenly their focused shifted and their face light up -sorta at least as much as a tired face could- and they stood up, collecting the last coin.

They had enough for one night and some food, which was good enough for them. Canary pocketed the last coin and walked to the inn, their tired mind having forgotten the strange encounter.

Wrathwyrm

Ah, but the strange encounter had not forgotten them.  Seeing that the stranger was now heading for the inn, the ferret woman was off to ask someone to drop off the things she'd bought at her house.  Possibly, she would even get Izayah to do it.  He had been, after all, learning to fight from her own skill.  This soon left her to pursue thie particular person free-handed, which would be a good diversion since...she hadn't left town to perform any extra curricular activities lately.

Night set in, and the inn was in its evening phase of dinner, drink, and somewhere to sleep if you didn't have a place of your own.  People new to La'Marri used the inn on their initial days of living here.  Those that were only here in the temporary leave.  Those that wish to take up permanent residence tend to either find it or build it.  Those following the latter usually offer up some kind of service to the community in exchange for the help.  In the case of our Beastkin, she had offered to help the local blacksmith with his work and the refinement of his technique via help with the metal.  That, and she almost built the house herself.

The ferret entered a little while after Canary, having waited and watched from afar to make certain that she was not considered to be following in a suspicious manner.  She was going for an ale and whatever was cooking for the night.  And unless Canary's hearing was especially good, they would not hear that the Ferret was explaining that said person was a Ferromancer and that she was going to see what they were up to.

WallyD

As soon as they got the room, the first thing Canary did was sleep. And so they slept untill sun was set and light were aflame. Canary slowly rose from the small bed and walked down stairs, not even bothering to tidy up.

One side of their hair was sticking up, their clothes had wrinkles, and their cloak was slightly twisted to the side. Canary sat down at one of the tables, not as tired as they had once been, but still tires none the less.

Canary quickly ordered, getting some stares from their sluggish accent and tired appearance. They looked around, rubbing the sleep from their eyes and spotted the animal woman from before.

Canary stared and something clicked as they finally remembered what had happened earlier. Suddenly, some of the people around the strange woman looked over at Canary at the same time. Canary froze, their face twisted in confusion. Where they talking about them?

Wrathwyrm

What a strange coincidence, them all looking over at once!  I-  No, it's definitely a case of townspeople doing that thing where somebody points out something about the stranger and they all look.  Of course, the one who didn't look was the ferret woman, who might've also muttered 'Don't look...' when they did.  Sighing, she took her meal and her ale and made the effort to look like she was deciding on a seat...before sitting down across from Canary.

"Ahh, mutton..."

Her meal was nothing but meat.  Understandable, since she was a carnivore.  Fork and knife were picked u-  Fork and knife had levitated into her own hands!  The action was quick, one of those blink-and-you-missed-it moments, and she made absolutely no mention of it as she began to eat.

WallyD

Canary stared at the woman's​ hands. Had they just saw that? Canary shifted in their seat, ignoring their own played of food that was just brought over.

"Uh," Canary coughed, "Did those... Can you do telekinesis?"

Suddenly Canary became really excited. They pointed at a mug with ale in it.

"Can you move that?" They turned and pointed at a stuffed dear on the wall, "How about that?"

It was quite unfortunate that Canary did not seem to understand that the stranger was actually like them in away. Then again, it is hard to understand what is happening before one has their coffee.

Wrathwyrm

"Hmm?"

She pretended not to have heard Canary's question at first, while eating, then shook her head.

"No."

No to telekinesis.  She seemed to find this amusing, and that to her further questions, she looked at the mug and then at the deer head on the wall before replying...

"Only with my hands."

She didn't have the kind of mind power that they thought she had.  In truth, it's a kind of magic.  It was a gift that she was born with, one that she had to refine.  She wondered if it was the same for this...person.  Honestly, it was hard to tell, even by smell, which side Canary fell on.  The ferret hadn't quite understood the concept of being neither or both or whatever, as Canary was.

WallyD

Canary frowned. Watching the others hands. They then looked back up, their face confused.

"No to telekinesis,?" They said, tilting their head. "But then how did you the knife and fork to move?"

Canary thought back to the coin and then looked back at the utensils. Their face finally made an "Oh" and they smiled.

"Only metal then?" They asked, picking up their mug full of coffee.

Wrathwyrm

"That's right, I did."

She answered the first part, conversationally, saying little more as she ate of her meal and drank some of her drink.  The ferret seemed content to let Canary put it all together.  It was a fair price, when you consider she didn't blow the whistle on her pulling away fallen coins that other people dropped around here.  She herself didn't technically have to worry about money.  It wasn't even something the Beastkin valued highly, except that other people wanted it.  Finally, the not-a-man-or-woman-per-se got it, and she smiled with her fangs just about showing.

"As do you.  I felt it when were out on the street."

She said this, twirling her fork around with one finger and no indication that gravity was having anything of it.  She stopped doing that after a moment, and continued.

"I'm actually kind of surprised that you can pull other people's money.  My magic, which I've deemed to call Ferromancy, has a certain interference when it comes to the possession of other people's things, sort of an aura of personal ownership.  Still, you can't take something that another Ferromancer's taken.  The will is strong."

WallyD

Canary shrugged. Thinking about what the woman just said.

"I don't know anything about auras, but I can take something that is someone else possession. It's more like an invisible hand, if I can grip it fast and harder, than I can take it. It is very much like tug-of-war." They said taking another sip. "And I can't lift heavy objects or something that has very little metal."

Wrathwyrm

"Yes, my command of it seems to have come about differently, but then again I didn't have anyone to train me either."

When their two powers crossed paths and she had kept her coin from moving, she could sense the attempt to get at it, but her grip had been a closed hand, mentally speaking.  Still, while Canary had a strong force, it was her guess that formal training had not been made.  She had yet to discover a master, someone who had more command of this power than herself.  Meeting one, though...  That would be something new.  Now, the ferret outstretched a clawed hand.

"I'm Keefe, by the way."

WallyD

Canary looked down at the outstretched hand. They wondered if the claws could penetrate their own hand but shook it anyways.

"I'm Canary. Sorry to ask, but may I ask what are you? I have never met a someone quite like you." They said. Canary was always told that curiousity would one day get them killed. Or at least beat up. Though this never stopped them. How was one to learn if they did not ask questions.

Wrathwyrm

The claws were sharp, but their nimble nature indicated they were not attack claws, but gripping claws, climbing claws.  Ferrets were mobile creatures, and so their Beastkin equivalents were too.  Still, while Canary was asking about her nature, we have to wonder why they would feel as though real harm would befall them in a peaceful town of mystics who generally only lash out when the situation calls for it.  Now, if Canary attacked anyone, that might happen, but an inquiry wouldn't lead to that.  After Keefe shook their hand, she explained.

"Mostly, I haven't either.  I think my kind are very nomadic, while I often stay in the same place.  I actually long to see more like me, but let it be known I have no issue with human beings, overall."

She was more likely to judge on merits and deeds, than species.

"What I am is Beastkin.  We come in many ways, perhaps as many as there are animals.  I'm a ferret.  I mean, I'm not literally a ferret, but I am what a ferret would be if it were elevated to the human level.  I don't know how we came about anymore than you do.  I just know what I know."

It was, admittedly, less than she should, but what could she do?  She didn't have a wolfman to ask these things about or anything.

WallyD

Canary nodde. While they knew what it was like not knowing all of the answers to questions, Canary was sure their reasons for not knowing were indeed different. Canary went back to their coffee and took a long drink, draining most of the cup.

"So what do you do?" Canary asked when they were done. "With your powers. You don't look like you own a jewelry shop or a blacksmith. Then again that is just going off of looks."

Wrathwyrm

She'd taken a drink as Canary was asking that question.  No spitgag followed, however.  Keefe had long ago learned to control such unexpected reflexes.  Besides, such an act would ruin her meal and she couldn't have that.  She put down her drink and began to explain...not entirely the answer.

"Well, the first thing you have to understand about La'Marri is that part of the point of this place is to have a quiet place to hone one's arts.  The background energy of this place is stronger than normal, allowing magic to flow more easily.  So, the act of perfecting my art could easily be the answer.  I certainly came here for a nice, quiet place of refuge."

She had almost finished her meal by this time, but had put down her utensils for the moment.

"Now, one doesn't really need to be anything specifically around here.  It's a community of people who help each other out when needed.  Oh, there is a blaxksmith, innkeeper, bar tender...  One of the tenders is Lanister, and his wife is one of the best healers in town.  But given that the town remains apart from the rest of the world and particularly hated by Connlaoth's anti-mage people, it's a safe bet that the point of business in this town is not in trade, but kept within.  If you don't have the money right now, lend a hand sometime.  If your skills are specifically needed, they owe you one."

She smiled now in a manner that could be considered coy.

"In this town, I'm just a Ferromancer with skills in fighting, hunting, and tracking."

WallyD

Canary sat quietly drinking their coffee. While they respected Keefe answer, it was now it was just bugging Canary. They wanted to know everything but they guessed that was just being snooping.

"Well I never really used my magic for anything but to get what I need. I doubt I could even keep a job without falling asleep standing up. It's a natural talent that has gotten me in trouble a few times." As if on que, Canary yawned right then and there.

Wrathwyrm

Yes, she could see that Canary was rather tired.  Of course, that they said it thusly meant that the fatigue was often, or constant.  That didn't seem like a very healthy thing to haveabout oneself.  It made Keefe wonder if perhaps Canary wasn't cursed, or used so much energy on the magic she knew that it left her overly tired.  Keefe managed her stamina well enough.  She knew her limits and how to work with them, extend them, and so on.

"What sort of trouble has your magic gotten you in?"

This part actually worried her.  Keefe's own past contained an instance or two of that happening.  One time was accidental, but horrible.  The other...most unexpected, and it nearly killed her.

Tags: