Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Tale of Two Sisters (Open, just hop in)

Started by Lucy_Vicotoria, September 16, 2017, 03:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy_Vicotoria

Again Tikaani found himself in his favourite place. He sighed as his hands gripped his tankard of ale. The fire was roaring behind him but the tavern was eerily quiet this evening.

"You still haven't heard anything?" He quizzed the tavern keep.

"Of Sedna or Ahnah?"

The large man shook his bald head. Despite how good the ale was, Tikaani looked glum. He removed his fur cloak and threw it over the chair next to him. The fine lines on his face were beginning to deepen after another long expedition out on the tundra.

"I'll get cook to bring you over some stew. You look like you could do with some. I won't lie - it tastes like crap, but it's hot"

Tikaani would not give up hope. He believed he would see his sisters again. He hoped they were together somewhere. The two of them never truly got on, truth be known, they often tried to claw each other's eyes out given half the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

almighyxcavus

The tundra seemed a bit friendlier that night. Sathurra's borelian shawl flowing ever so smoothly around her gracious shoulders. Being a member of the winter winds she needed to develop her human form more in order to effectively communicate with the others. Unfortunately she still wasn't accustomed to the mortal society of Hyoite and walked around topless within her human form. Her skin was a beautiful pure white. With her dragon eyes glowing through the falling snow.

She came upon a new tavern that had been built about a mile or so away from the guild's main meeting area. She figured she might get more of a taste for mortal culture by drinking.

She entered tavern graciously. Her shawl shining a bit within the tavern's torchlight. She sat at the bar next to a man that was just under her height by a couple inches. His silver hair shined just in the slightest bit.

Hes one of the land. He looks to be worried Sathurra ordered a pint of ale for herself.

Sathurra turned to the man and spoke: "Why hello, haven't seen anyone like you in my tundra, what brings you here?" While sipping an ale of blue color that tasted very sweet.

Lucy_Vicotoria

Tikaani was startled by the entrance of this mysterious woman. He sensed a strange but powerful energy. 

"This is my home" he started, before the bar keep interrupted.

"Yer telling me, fifth night in a row and still haven't paid ya tab.."

Tikaani scowled

"Yes, yes, you know I will pay. And don't be so rude, the lady and I were having a conversation.."

It had been a long day and his spirits were a bit low meaning his fuse was a little shorter than normal.

"My apologies. As I was saying, I'm Tikaani Angun. My current business is trying to find my two siblings who I'm hoping have not killed each other already. "

His ice blue eyes regarded her a moment. She certainly wasn't human, he could sense that. From his own experience, humans were not the most observant at spotting an imposter.

"May I ask what brings you to this establishment? I will don't recall seeing you here before?"

almighyxcavus

Sathurra fixed her her hair behind her ear. She sipped another bit from her pint and placed it back down, she gave a little wince once the alcohol hit her taste buds. Her human form only being a couple months old, still was not used to her attempts at drinking. She fixed herself and spoke: "I am the guardian of this land, I've been here for the past 4000 years. I know every part of this beautifully barren land. Can't a girl just walk into a new tavern for a drink? Name's Sathurra by the way. Call me Sa for short if you would like."

Sathurra did not know the concept of flirting, if the way she talked gave the receiver any sort of suspicion, that wasn't the case. But hearing about this man's efforts to find his two sisters reminded Sathurra of the rest of her family, even Xanuthos, the brother that she killed. Fighting within the family was something Sathurra sought to eliminate after what had happened with her brother. She chugged the rest of the sweet ale and slammed it down onto the table. Her expression becoming deathly cold, almost as much as she was in her natural form. Her bang's made a shadow over her eyes.

Her voice was low and borderline worrisome: "W-what happened to your sisters?"

The bar keep attempted to bring up Tikaani's tab once more. Sathurra foresaw this and dropped a bag full of gold coins into his hand. She looked up with a deathly glare to the bar keep, "his debt is paid, now stop pestering us." Her eyes glowed as she turned back to Tikaani. "Excuse the interruption, what happened to your sisters?"

Lucy_Vicotoria

"You didn't have to do that, I would have paid. But thank-you for the kindness".

Tikaani shifted in his seat, she made him a little uncomfortable. That was a lot of information to take in and he couldn't quite accept the concept that she had been here 4000 years.

"There was a shift in politics within our family and my sisters fled. I thought they would return once things had settled down. But it's been almost a year now and still so sign."

He took a few swigs of his ale.

"There was peace at one time before my brother's came of age. What they did tore us apart and neither of them are around to answer for it.."

He felt his jaw tense and his grip on the tankard increase.

"Sorry Sathurra, I'm sure you don't want to hear about all that. Tell me, how is it you are the guardian of this land and you and I have only just met?", he asked lightheadedly.

almighyxcavus

Sathurra sighed. My how the generations do forget. She sat up in her chair and turned towards Tikaani: "A king is no king without his followers. About 100 years ago my followers began to forget about me, although I am the guardian, no one is aware since no one remembers. It's gotten to the point where I've had to redo my human form multipe times.

"I don't mind anything you tell me at all. I find human stories fascinating, what exactly happened between your family, please tell me."

Sathurra's dragon eyes flickered with anticipation.

Lucy_Vicotoria

"So you're not human? I didn't think so.."

Tikaani shuffled his stool closer to Sathurra so he could lower his voice.

"Sorry to disappoint you but my story isn't a human one exactly. I belong to the Adlortok, I don't know if you know of them? Our home is far off up in the mountains. The pack is made up of mainly dire wolves and at the top of the hierarchy are our family who are shape shifters. Some of whom are more wolf than others..."

By that he meant his brothers. They thought living more like the wolves made them more pure and better leaders, whereas Tikaani believed this made them too impulsive and narrow minded.

"Our former leader grew older and slower. This did not sit well with some of the pack. But instead of dealing with it as per our traditions they lured him into a trap. This resulted in my brothers fighting over leadership despite the fact the honour should have gone to Ahnah."

He could see Sathurra was interested so he carried on.  He had never been able to tell any of his human friends the full story as none of them knew what he really was.

"But alas, through their foolishness they both ended up killing each other in the end. Anik died of his wounds as he would not come to the human village for healing. My sisters had both already gone missing. I don't think they know he is dead. And here I am now, looking for them, talking to you and hoping you're not too horrified by our story.."

almighyxcavus

Sathurra chuckled a bit "Im so sorry Tikaani, first and foremost I have heard of your tribe, very respectful people and wolves. Would love to visit them again to see if they have forgotten me yet. Your tale doesnt phase me, you must understand. I dug a a spear bigger than this tavern into my brother's heart. Trust me when I tell you some people have worse backstories that you could ever imagine."

She stood and started to walk out of the tavern. She turned and with a wink: "If you want help finding your sisters come with me."

Once the tavern doors shut, a loud roar reverberated around the tavern. Sathurra was circling the tavern in her dragon form.

Lucy_Vicotoria

"Wait... I haven't finished my ale!"

He glugged the remainder down and hurriedly threw on his cloak. Suddenly the tavern fell silent as people grew fearful of the noise. The liquid in people glasses rippled.

Tikaani stomped toward the door in his snow boots and burst through the doors into the snowy night.

He had to hold up his arm to shield is eyes from the gale that buffeted from Sathurra's flight. His cloak whipping behind him. He squinted against the icy gust blowing against his face and stood aghast at the beautiful creature soaring above. Her sleek, pearly form shimmered in the moonlight. Tikaani was completely transfixed.

almighyxcavus

Sathurra twirled rapidly in the air almost making a vortex from her crystal-ice scales. A brief flash of white and she transformed back into her gorgeous human form again. "I know this land like the back of my claw, finding your sisters will be easy as soon as I get the whole story. Take me to your home so I may see your family once again. Hopefully they'll remember me."

Sathurra turned and started walking graciously again, to anyone else who did not know her, she could be some crazy topless girl trying to get herself killed. But to Tikaani, she was his only shot at finding his sisters.

Sathurra motioned for him to take the lead.

Lucy_Vicotoria

"I hope you know what you're doing, I don't think I do anymore.."

He draped his fur cloak on her shoulders, looking into her glowing eyes.

"You don't mind carrying this for me? I er... can't get home like this."

Normally he would just leave a pile of clothes somewhere, but he thought the pack might react better if they recognised his smell on her. He truly hoped this would not end badly.

Transforming in front of her was not his first concern he was more apprehensive of how the pack would react.

His muscular body convulsed as he fell to his hands and knees. His muscles and limbs contorted. He snarled as his jaw narrowed and elongated forming his large maw. His limbs narrowed and stretched and his fingers fused to form paws. Once the transformation was completed he shook himself, his silver fur glistening and the same ice blue eyes glinted. He was a large beast his head shoulder height to Sathurra.

Physically this felt the most natural but emotionally it did not. He preferred to be human. But he could only find his way to the den by scent and could only withstand the cruelty of the tundra in this form.

The two set off across the icy plains toward the mountains. It was a long journey back to the den.

almighyxcavus

Within hours the two arrived at the den. She admired its looks in a way, a true family born from the tundra. She walked inside, wolves snarling at her entrance, thankfully Tikaani's cloak did help her from getting mauled, even though it wouldn't even matter since she's had worse.

She gracefully followed Tikaani's lead up until they stopped at what appeared to be the two brothers. Before Tikaani could even say anything Sathurra spoke: "Before we start anything, does your family remember who I am? Or am I truly forgotten?"

Sathurra for the first time had a look of hope and worry at the same time.

Lucy_Vicotoria

Tikaani looked into her hopeful eyes. In wolf form he whined as he turned away into a dark corner to transform into his human form. It would be impossible to mediate without his voice. He was lost in the darkness momentarily, then re-appeared in the strike of a match as he lit some of the candles in the crevices of the cave.

"Sathurra, I need to warn you. Like I said before, some are more like wolves than others. And wolves know no past or future."

Tikaani felt the many eyes looking at them and a deep growling from the shadows.

Tikaani growled back and a figure standing upright emerged surrounded by several dire wolves.

"So you return my nephew" came the gravelly voice belonging to the ageing figure, who by human standards looked about 70.

"Yes Tonrar. I brought someone here for you to meet".

The old man looked at Sathurra disapprovingly. His eyes were a little glazed as his eyesight was failing.

"Since when have we brought strangers into our den?"

"She's the guardian Tonrar, she's here to help".

"The guardian?"

He looked thoughtful as if trying to remember something, but as Tikaani had explained the dire wolves had little interest in history outside of their own pack.

almighyxcavus

Like an actress appearing on stage thousands of times Sathurra stood forward. "Sathurra, the guardian of this beautiful land we call a tundra. Unfortunately over the generations your tribe and many others must have forgotten of me."

Sathurra had both confidence and worry in her steps. She couldnt transform within the den and the others would surely pounce on her within mere seconds if she made the wrong move. "So what's this I hear about two missing sisters?" She looked back at Tikaani for a moment before focusing on the alpha once more.

Lucy_Vicotoria

Tonrar looked weary but nodded in agreement. He lent against the carved oak quarter staff he carried.

"Many things have been lost and forgotten."

He gestured towards the cave mouth instructing the pack to leave. Some snarled and growled at Tikaani and Sathurra as they passed.

"Our pack is in disarray as I'm assuming Tikaani has told you. It needs a young and strong leader, which I am not."

Tikaani shuffled uncomfortably as Tonrar glared at him. In truth, in his sister's absence Tikaani would have been next in line. A responsibility he had shirked and had vowed to find Ahnah instead.

"My brother was mauled and killed by a Great Bear and Tikaani's siblings squabbled, dying or fleeing altogether. Everything is completely out of balance."

He paused a moment and an impromptu coughing fit. Tikaani looked concerned.

"I can't hold the fort much longer. It's only a matter of time. The neighbouring packs will descend and our family and legacy will be gone."

Tikaani felt guilty, he knew this to be true. But he had not yet lost hope.

"I will find Ahnah and Sedna Uncle. Now I have help." He looked hopefully at his new friend for support.

almighyxcavus

Sathurra stood tall once more. "You have my word as well. Now tell me, what exactly happened to the sisters? And do you have any information as to their current whereabouts at all that I can use?"

She pondered for a moment and then remembered one crucial thing: "Oh and before I do anything. I need your family's word that you will never forget about me again. I am Sathurra, Guardian of the north. The tundra is my home and I will protect it so. Your family is of the tundra, thus you are my family as well. You must not forgot about me from this moment on."

Sathurra stood with a fist to her heart.

Lucy_Vicotoria

Tonrar regarded her a moment and nodded.

"You have our word. At least for as long as I am head of this family we will not forget."

Tikaani was relieved he had appeased his uncle for now. It had gone better than he expected.

"I do not think that Ahnah has gone far as her scent has been picked up by the pack in recent months. It is strange though we have not seen or felt any sign of Sedna. " Tonrar continued, he tired eyes appearing to squint in the low light of the den.

"Ahnah loves her family, if she is near I can't understand why she wouldn't come home..."

Tikaani looked thoughtful. It was true his two sisters were very different. Ahnah the eldest, was wise, gentle and a caring older sister to Tikaani whereas Sedna, the youngest  was quite a law unto herself.  He took it and began to skin it without hesitation.

They were interrupted by the sound of excited howls. The hunting party had returned so successfully with several winter hares. One wolf brought Tonrar the largest hare.

"Stay for some food and rest the two of you, before you carry on with your journey".

almighyxcavus

Sathurra performed a small cursty of appreciation, from what she remembered that was the proper way for a woman to show thanks. If it applied now she wouldve never had known. "Thank you, I'll gladly accept anything your family has to offer. I'm not familiar with this den, would be as so kind to show me around beforehand?"

I need more clues than just scent, maybe their living arrangements had something to help us out.

Sathurra was ready to follow Tonrar to wherever he might take her.

Lucy_Vicotoria

"Come, I'll show you my sister's rooms."

Tikaani picked up an oil lamp and led Sathurra down a cavernous tunnel. This was where the shifters made their rooms. They needed more comfort than the ordinary wolves. Something more akin to human comforts. There were several doors on either side. First in the right was Ahnah's door. Once inside he placed the lamp on the table and lit the other by her bed.

"As you can see, she loves to read".

He said gesturing to the large bookcases crammed with ageing tomes, novels and even children's books.
There was a bed with simple linen and a pile of clothes folded neatly on the edge. There was a fireplace dug out of the earth where blackened cinders of wood remained. There were cushions scattered around the room.

Tikaani nearly tripped as one of the wolf pups came running under foot.

"Damn it pup! She always let the young ones in here to sleep. Sneaking in here without an invite now".

The pup jumped up and curled up on the bed making himself at home.

"I imagine this is a far cry from what you call home? I hope you do not find it too frightful. I mean er, I know your the guardian and all so guessing you don't spend too much time in dark wolf dens?"

He cursed himself from being so awkward. Showing an outsider around was not something he had done before. He had rarely even let anyone outside the pack even get to know him truly.

almighyxcavus

Sathurra started to laugh at Tikaani's awkwardness: "You wanna know something? You remind me a lot of my sister Zaikaria. Don't worry about your home, the tundra is mine so anything apart of it, is apart of me."

Sathurra sat on the bed and gently lifted the little pup into her lap. Stroking the tiny creature as if it were one of her own. She sighed for a moment and looked back up to Tikaani. "Come sit, it's your home after all, no need to worry."

Tags: