Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Aggressive Interrogation (DragonSong)

Started by Kingfisher, December 07, 2017, 11:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingfisher

And like that, they pair was asleep.  The tavern master would have some minor cleanup to do in the morning but it would be unlikely to spark too much interest.

Joshua would not stir until morning.  It took him only an instant to reach full wakefulness; he was a bit of a morning person.  His vague attempt to adjust himself revealed one surprising fact: Tara had elected to share the bed.  Slightly more worrying was how close to him she happened to be.  Yet, the almost romantic part of himself could not help but enjoy the sense of closeness the situation offered.

The smith decided to stay there for a time, closing his eyes.  He would wait for the bard to wake up.  Then they could discuss their next move...

DragonSong

Though not exactly what one might call a morning person, Tara was a light sleeper and woke almost instantly when she felt Joshua shift beside her. Her eyes snapped open and she quickly jerked herself into an upright position, twisting to look at him.

"Morning," she offered, tone even and polite enough, but eyes wary.

Kingfisher

"Morning," the young man said in reply.

Careful not to place his hands awkwardly, Joshua slid to the foot of the bed.  "I hope you slept well.  Didn't mean to wake you."  Glancing back, the smith noticed he had somehow fallen asleep on his sheathed knife.  That explained the slight ache near his kidney.

Vowing to grab it later, he picked up his slacks, from beside the chair.  "So, just to touch on our agreement from last night, you want my help getting close to this...Karian, right?"  He spoke without looking at the bard, instead reaching for his doublet.  "What exactly was your plan when we get to him?"

DragonSong

Tara quirked an eyebrow at him. "I kill him," she replied, as though this should be the most obvious thing in the world. "What did you think I was going to do, start up a gun supply contract?" She yawned and arched her back in a long, languid stretch, her tunic riding up toward her ribs.

"You think we can get breakfast in this place? I'm starving."

Kingfisher

Glancing out the window, Joshua spotted something that would please the bard.  "Looks like the master's daughter is collecting eggs."  The last wooden button closed the collar of his jacket as he glanced over his shoulder.  "I'll go see if I can't get us something."

The smith opened the door to the chamber.  Before leaving, he glanced at Tara.  "Also, that was more a goal than a plan to achieve it."  He did not bother to elaborate as he closed the door behind him.  Joshua needed to see about a couple plates of eggs.

DragonSong

Tara rolled her eyes and sort of pouted at the door, but didn't say anything as he left. She sighed and stood from the bed with another stretch before getting dressed and venturing back out into the main room of the tavern.

Gods, if someone doesn't feed me soon I'm going to slit some more throats.

Kingfisher

As promised, the tavern master had cooked up a couple plates of eggs.   They were served with with potatoes and a piece of quick bread and there was a promise of fresh milk to go with it.  Joshua took his and Tara's plate off to a table set to one side of the room.  He waved the bard over, offering the seat opposite him before taking up his fork.

DragonSong

With a dramatic groan she dropped into the open seat and let her head fall back, gaping her mouth open like a baby bird. "Somebody feed me before I expire," she whined pleadingly.

Kingfisher

Joshua just sat there, staringat the bard across the table, a skewered tater perched an inch from his lips.  Setting his fork down, he said, "You aren't helpless.  Feed yourself."  Gesturing to her plate, the smith added, "There's breakfast.  Eat up."  The bizarre girl was starting to infuriate him.

To clicks indicated that the tavern master's daughter had returned, setting down two cups of fresh milk.  Joshua took a gulp before returning to his meal.  "We should probably start south as soon as we finish so I have time to work my...magic."  He spoke without a touch of irony, though unless someone knew he was an actual mage, they would likely assume his words to be simple self-aggrandizement.

DragonSong

She huffed and sat up straight. "You're no fun." She started in on the food, then narrowed her eyes and nudged his leg with her foot under the table.

"Oi, watch what you say," she muttered with a quirk of her eyebrows. "This is Connlaoth. If people don't think you're joking, we're both dead."

Kingfisher

"This far into the boonies?" Joshua said, dubiously.  "Mage hunters almost never come here and the peasants have bigger problems then some nobody with a thing for fires."  There was also the fact that most commoners were not trained or equipped to handle a halfway decent mage.  The nearest real threat would be fourteen hours away, seven if a runner got lucky and found a patrol.  And the pair would be long gone by then.

The smith had been partway into his meal as they started and he quickly finished, draining his mug as he stood.  "I have some things of my own to handle: wagon to prep, ox to harness.  We'll meet at the edge of town in a couple hours?"

A glance toward the counter reminded him the sword he had left there.  It was not a big deal, considering the master had neglected to notice it.  But he still needed to handle the payment and return of the work.  Bringing the weapon back to Tara, he said, "When the owner comes, can I ask you to handle the payment?  If we're planning to leave soon, I'd appreciate the help."

DragonSong

She shrugged and nodded. "I can handle it. South or east end of town to meet up?" She raised a cup of tea to her lips and eyed him over the rim. She still wasn't quite sure what to make of this man- she supposed she'd better figure it out fast.

Kingfisher

Joshua took a moment to think.  The moment was brief; after all, the decision was not that complicated.  "South.  I think there's a pass we can use through the mountains farther along,"  Admittedly, the smith was not sure.  He had very little business in Serendipity.

If there was nothing else, Joshua meant to go off and collect his ox.  It had been allowed to graze with the tavern family's own cow, so it would have to be driven to the metalurgist's cart so they could depart.

DragonSong

"As you like." Tara toasted him as he left the tavern, finished off her meal, then stood to leave herself. She probably had a few hours before her new traveling companion expected to be leaving, and she meant to earn some coin while she had the time.

Tags: