Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Skin and Bones {Solo}

Started by Celegwen, December 19, 2017, 03:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

Baylrys tucked his wings against his body at the sound of her voice, moving his head to face where her voice had come from. "How long were you there?" He asked.

"Since you came out of the cave," she said. "You miss flying?"

The dragon laid on the grass where he was. "I suppose. I've done this several times since my strength has come back to me, so I could live with it if this is all I do."

Freisae chuckled, walking over to him and sitting next to him. "But why settle?" The girl shrugged. "If blind people can learn to fight, why can't a blind dragon learn to fly?"

"In case you've completely lost your mind, fighting is a tad different than flying," Baylrys said. "And humans aren't my size. If I were to fall or misread a current or crash into something, I could very well destroy a small village."

"So, we'll train here!"

Baylrys sat up, his wings spread slightly. "We?"

Freisae smiled, getting to her feet. "We're doing this together."

Celegwen

In the morning, Freisae, Baylrys, and Kandri met in the large field. Kandri took to the air, as Baylrys lifted Freisae onto his back. The snow dragon was there to make sure nothing happened to Freisae, but she had a feeling it was just a necessary precaution.

"Ready?" She asked the black dragon. Kandri was big, but being on Baylrys' back held an exhilaration that Freisae only got the first time she rode a dragon.

"Whenever you are."

They took to the air, and Baylrys' flight was definitely unsteady at first. They took it slowly, but a creature of his size needed speed to fly smoothly. Baylrys hesitantly started going faster, and Freisae was having a blast. Kandri flew beneath the large dragon, not even filling his shadow.

The first flight lasted about fifteen minutes, when Freisae told him to land. Kandri fell back, and Baylrys started lowering to the ground. He hit too hard, making Freisae jerk out of place and slip from her position. Kandri went to grab her, but was too far. Baylrys quickly reached around, catching her before she hit the ground.

Celegwen

Both Freisae and Kandri stared at Baylrys in shock. The woman knew that dragons had some of the best reflexes and instincts in the world, but she never thought a blind dragon would be able to be so aware of his surroundings.

"Thank you," she said quietly, not really sure what to say.

Baylrys gave no answer, only nodding and lowering her to the ground. She climbed off of his hand, tucking her hair behind her ears with a new gleam in her eyes.

"We're going to need to work on landing," Freisae said. "For now, I think we should do groundwork. We both need to figure out how to read each other, and I think that'll be better done safely on the ground."

Celegwen

Freisae looked at Kandri. "I'm going to use you for this, okay?" She folded her arms over her chest with a slight smirk. "You two obviously fly differently, but I'm going to use the basic movements to teach myself before I teach you, Baylrys."

Once again, Baylrys was quiet. Kandri took a step forward, shifting to his human form with a smirk. "How are we going to do it?" He asked eagerly.

"Simple," the girl said. "When we're flying, I'm going to be making notes and movements to put to Baylrys' flight." She stepped closer to the black dragon, putting her hand on his leg. "I'm going to get you in the air again, if it's the last thing I do!"

"I'd prefer if it wasn't the last thing you do," Baylrys said.

Celegwen

Over the next four months, Freisae worked with Kandri and Baylrys, learning both dragons' similarities and differences when it came to flying and simply walking. Even the way a dragon walked was useful in telling how one would fly.

It wasn't exactly the smoothest of times, as learning a dragon's flight was no easy feat to begin with. Having to learn from and teach a blind dragon wasn't something Freisae ever imagined having to take on.

Both Freisae and Baylrys suffered some decent injuries, but neither one of them was deterred from continuing.

Celegwen

At the end of the four month period, things were pretty stable. It wasn't like they were winning any races, but Freisae and Baylrys had gotten their landings right, as well as turns, speed, and reflexes. Relying on a human wasn't fun for Baylrys, but Freisae had managed to gain his trust. He listened to her signals perfectly, so it was up to her to direct him properly.

Kandri often flew with them as something of a safety net. He never interfered with the flight in any way, but he was there just in case there was an accident.

Most people would've recommended using some kind of saddle or reins, as that's usually what was seen on the Adelan Dragonriders, but Freisae knew that the connection between herself and the massive creature was much more important to her safety than a few straps.

Tags: