Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All Shapes and Sizes {Whim}

Started by Celegwen, January 10, 2018, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

@Whim
---------
"But, Corrigan," the boy groaned, hanging by his knees from a low branch, "why do you always have to put a damper on my fun?"

The unicorn stood next to the tree, watching the boy carefully. "Joshua, how many times have we discussed this? I'm not repeating myself for probably the 1200th time."

Joshua pulled himself upright on the branch, then jumped down, moving his bangs away from his eyes. "I'm always patient. Why can't we go and search out the creatures?" He sighed slightly too dramatically. "What if they get lost? It's not like our sanctuary has an address."

Corrigan shook his violet mane and snorted. "You are not always patient," he said. "What have I told you about lying?" Joshua's annoyed silence was all the answer he needed. "If they're supposed to be here, they'll find their way. You know how it works, so hush. A centauress was shot with an arrow just outside of the sanctuary and needs your attention."

He laid down on the ground, and Joshua climbed onto the vibrantly colored coat. Corrigan stood again with a grunt and started trotting towards the sanctuary borders with the boy holding onto his mane.

Whim

Sunlight filtered through the dense canopy of Ravensway, dappling the forest shades of green and gold. Bees large as a man's fist darted in and out of the flowery boughs above. It was a pretty sight, at least for the first mile. But Kai had been walking for at least ten miles and the whole affair was a slog. The boy didn't really like equines given his current condition. In a strange way they felt like peers. It could be him pulling a plow some day, after all. Already the magic was fading from the phial of blood around his neck, enchanted some weeks ago to keep Kai human.

Now where was the Guardian's Glade? And why were elves always so damned cryptic? Obviously magical beasts and the like had no use for trails and signs, but the druid could've offered some land mark. A knotty tree? A big rock? Walk the woods and the Guardian shall find you. Should have known it was horse shit! But how else was he to find a unicorn?

The young adventurer was just rounding a bend when he heard a shriek, followed by a cacophony of snarls and yips. Through the brush he spied a young woman, clad in leaves, with three shaggy black wargs not far behind!

The alpha was dead. His left forepaw was mangled, and his chest a cauterized wound. The pack had scattered. Kai ran a cloth up and down his still warm blade, turning attention to the wood nymph who sat huddled beneath her leafy robe. He helped her up.

"Oh you brave, brave boy..." she gave a fluttery sigh. This was followed up by a coy smile as she pressed herself into his arms, "How ever can I repay my noble rescuer? My daring knight errant?"

Color flushed to Kai's ears at the attention. The young man darted back at her advance. "Um, oh! You don't happen to know where I can find the Guardian's Glade, do you? I need to find a unicorn. I have this curse, you see..." It was embarrassing to explain.

"Oh you poor, poor beast. I see it all now. Clear as a mountain stream and the moon of midsummer's eve. Why it shan't be trouble at all to remove such a petty charm! Such is the least I could do..."

"Y-you're welcome to try. No human wizards haven been able to, you know..."

The nymph reached forward, tracing her fingers down his cheek. Kai was expecting a magic apple. Kissing a pretty faerie wouldn't be such a bad way to break the enchantment. Except no kiss came. The nymph wrapped her fingers around Kai's phial. And before he could so much as protest she tore it from his neck. "Wait!" He tried to stop her, to grab it, but she vanished in a flurry of leaves and petals.

A telltale itch spread across Kai's backside. Shit shit shit. His spine cracked and twisted, forcing him to the forest floor. He tried to push himself up, but found his fingers numb and unresponsive. Black hooves had replaced his hands and russet fur was sprouting from his spasming forearms. Kai heard the sickening crunch of bone, but was relieved to feel only the tickle of pins and needles. Now on four equine legs now and the change was migrating from his extremities to his core. It felt like he was being strangled as his coat and silk shirt were straining against muscle, fat, and viscera. With all his might he strained his neck to see just what was happening back there, though he already had some idea of the damage. Nonetheless, Kai's head wouldn't move that way. And soon the tickle of change crept up his neck which lengthened and thickened. The boy's vision momentarily blacked as his face rearranged itself. And in the span of a minute the young man was replaced with an ass.

"Please! I need that necklace!" the transformed man trotted in a circle, trying to shake off the last vestiges of clothing. The forest floor was now littered with trampled rations, shredded clothing, and enchanted weaponry. It made quite a stir.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Celegwen

Leaving the sanctuary borders was an exciting adventure for the ancient child. Corrigan was surprisingly strict about where they went because the world really was a dangerous place. This centaur incident was the first time Joshua was leaving the sanctuary in almost four years.

The boy felt an energetic shift when the border was crossed. It was something only he was sensitive to; not even Corrigan could feel it.

They continued walking until a beautiful creature came into view. The centauress had a pure silver horse body which matched her human hair. She was young, but not a child.

Corrigan knelt on his front legs, allowing Joshua to hop off with ease, then walk over to the creature. She was lying on the grass with a majority of her left side covered in blood. An arrow protruded from her side, probably through the ribs and into the lung by the way she was breathing. She gave Joshua a pained smile, as he knelt next to her.

The boy's hands started emitting a gentle green light. A loud noise sounded in the near distance, making Joshua lose his concentration. His heart raced, and he looked to Corrigan.

"Wait here," the unicorn said, taking off in a gallop towards the noise. He was met by an ass surrounded by what remained of rich clothing and weaponry. It seemed to be in distress, and Corrigan knew immediately that it was some kind of curse. He didn't know if the donkey could see his true form, as it can usually only be seen by magical creatures and those that Joshua allows, but he did know that his voice wouldn't be heard. He pawed at the ground and tossed his head in the direction from which he had come, then started trotting back in hopes that his message had gotten through.

Meanwhile, Joshua simply focused on the centauress. He swiftly removed the arrow, then pressed his hands on the wound. A bright green glow surrounded the two of them, which would've been visible for nearly a mile radius. It reached Corrigan's sight, and the unicorn gave a proud smile.

Whim

Kai shouted and brayed himself hoarse calling for the dryad's return. It was no use. That stupid, flighty, useless faerie could be anywhere by now! With a grunt of resignation the newly minted ass began tugging at the remnants of his supplies. Perhaps he could at least loop the pack round his neck? Using his muzzle and forehooves to tumble a pouch of coins, sheathed dagger, and waterskin into a backpack proved harder than anticipated. They were hardly flexible. Maybe bite it over and roll the dagger sideways... "Gods damnit!" he cursed.

His ears perked. Twigs were cracking and there was an unfamiliar scent on the wind. Wolves? No it couldn't be wolves. Why not? No, it was comforting. Another equine. The man-turned-donkey looked up to see delicate equine creature with a glimmering coat and spiraling horn. His sigh of relief sounded more a wheezing bray. "You- are you the Guardian of the Glade? I've been looking for you. I've been cursed you see and- and I'm sorry. I haven't introduced myself. I'm Kai Wilding..." Forest creatures were rather particular about manners he was told. Was this one even intelligent? It seemed to be nodding toward the trail... Kai followed, hoping the creature might say something in reply.

Someone well versed in the arcane sciences, of course, would find Kai wasn't a cursed human at all. His soul and body were that of a donkey, though one infused with speech and intellect. But there was a hint of residual magic about him - a minor charm which forced him into human form.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Celegwen

Corrigan would've been more than happy to reply to Kai's introduction, only he physically couldn't without Joshua's consent. Only when Joshua allowed it could Corrigan's voice be heard to others.

The unicorn trotted gracefully towards where had left Joshua, glancing back every minute or so to make sure Kai hadn't fallen behind.

Amidst the bright light, Joshua finished healing the centauress. She shifted so she was lying normally her four legs. "Thank you," she said, her voice soft and melodic. "You saved my life." She opened her arms and the two embraced each other, like they'd known each other for years. "Where is your unicorn?"

Joshua looked in the direction where Corrigan had disappeared and smiled. "He's coming back," he said. "I can feel it." The boy climbed onto the centauress' back, and they started trotting towards Corrigan, meeting him and...a donkey? The centauress stopped, and Corrigan positioned himself next to her. She took Joshua's hand, helping him to balance as he jumped from her back to the unicorn's. The boy looked at the donkey with an amused grin. "I'm Joshua, Guardian of the Glade," he said. "What's your name?"

Whim

Silence. Did it even understand him or would they just end up in a grazing pasture. Kai followed anyway. Just as well unicorns were likely stuck-up as far as equines were concerned. Stuck-up. Gods, as if plays on the word ass weren't enough. Kai trotted behind the unicorn, vaguely annoyed a the way he seemed to dance just far ahead enough as to show off. That or he knew the forest better.

Before the donkey stood a centauress, and a grinning boy loafing atop the unicorn. Her apprentice, maybe? It couldn't hurt to play along. Woodland creatures did love their games. So Kai straightened his posture, and held his head high in an effort to look as regal a jackass as he could. "Hello mighty Guardian. I'm Kai Wilding. I've come seeking your help with a terrible curse," he turned his attention to the centaur now, dropping the act. "I've visited every mortal wizard in the land and none of them could help. I... I thought your mistress might be able to?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Celegwen

The boy smiled when the donkey introduced himself as Kai Wilding. I like that name, the boy thought to himself. He sat on Corrigan's bare back, looking at the talking animal. Then, Kai turned to the centauress standing near them. He thinks she's the Guardian? The boy thought curiously.

"I'm not the Guardian," she responded, putting her right hand over her heart. She gestured to Joshua with a soft grin. "He is. The Guardian and his unicorn." She bowed her head respectfully to the boy, before bounding off in the sanctuary's direction, not caring to give Kai or anyone else a chance to respond.

Corrigan turned around in his place, so Joshua's right side was facing the donkey. The boy held onto Corrigan's mane with his left hand and tilted his head upward to reveal the druid's mark underneath his jawline. "I'm Joshua, Guardian of the Glade," the boy repeated with a smirk. "This is Corrigan, my unicorn teacher and protector. What's this curse you need help with?"

Whim

(OOC: I should be a little more free in the future, at least quicker than 1 post per week)

"Well its very good to meet you Joshua. And I'm awfully sorry. I didn't think the Guardian would be so, um, young?" Kai was glad that his fur hid any blush of embarrassment. His drooping ears, however, did not lie. Of course it was the ratty little kid and not the centauress. Faerie magic always seemed to insist on thwarting expectation, though they did have a thing about eternal youth.

"I used to be human, though the satyr called Blackthorn cursed on me for entering his temple uninvited. This was in Darken Vei and-" The donkey caught a glimpse of Joshua's mark. There were still some druids and harvest witches back home. Kai had some choicer words for the fey but decided against it. "Well it was a crumbling ruin and I'd no idea. I tried everything to appease him, but he's been silent. The best I've managed is getting a charm that let's me be human for a bit. I don't know if you can help, though my family can send coin, or game-wardens, or sorcerers if that's your price."

The thieving pixie would have to wait. Hopefully the point would be moot anyhow. A fly buzzed behind him, prompting a tail-flick. "Gah! I don't know how anyone gets along without hands..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Celegwen

(OOC: No worries! I'm in college and working, so my posts are kind of scattered also)

"I've somehow managed all this time," Corrigan said suddenly pawing at the ground with his hooves. His voice would've then been audible to Kai. Joshua's permission for the unicorn to speak wasn't a verbal command, but rather one that Corrigan could simply feel. They shared a strange bond that people really were just better not trying to understand.

The boy didn't say anything in response to Kai's apology, which earned him a sharp glare from his friend. He simply listened to what the donkey had to say.

"I have no need for money, or sorcerers, or..." He paused, whispering to Corrigan. "What's a game-warden?"

"Someone who would stop hunting here."

Joshua laughed, shaking his head. "There's no hunting here! Besides, I have nature spirits in the Glade who are trained warriors! I'll help you for free, on two conditions." The boy's happy-go-lucky energy switched, and he looked at Kai. "First, when you leave here, you can never tell anyone where we are. Seriously. If you do, I'll send Jeremiah to erase your memory of this place and take back anything I give to you. And second, you don't question me."

Corrigan shook his head. "You may ask questions," the unicorn said, "but do not question his instructions or decisions. My master tends to be somewhat cryptic, so please, do ask if you are confused."

Whim

The ass snorted in surprise at Joshua's sudden change in demeanor. Kai had always been told never to look a gift horse in the - ugh! Well, he shouldn't be turning down free help. Still, what if the kid was some evil sorcerer in disguise? Though a petulant brat used to getting his way was bad enough... Kai knew from experience...

"And you don't need to worry about that. I barely know how I got here. But what sort of things might you ask of me?" Kai bared his teeth in a sort of nervous grin. "I'm really grateful you're helping me!. But, uh, before I agree to total obedience I want to be sure won't have me collecting blood sacrifices. Or giving rides to grabby children." Stupid. Clever quips were wonderful things when you had your sword and were facing down inbred bandits. Not when you're a jackass and your only hope is some boy-witch.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Celegwen

Joshua smirked, raising one brow to the donkey. The boy and the unicorn exchanged a glance, then the boy took hold of Corrigan's violet mane.

"You have nothing to worry about," Joshua said, "probably." He smirked, as Corrigan started walking forward. "I don't take part in blood magic." Whether or not Kai's comment was sarcastic, Joshua wasn't sure. Over eight hundred years of life, yet he still wasn't completely able to grasp sarcasm.

The unicorn jerked his head, wordlessly telling Kai to come with them. Regardless of Joshua's ability to help Kai, it wouldn't be done in the middle of the forest. The safety of the Glade was one bonus, but Joshua's powers were also amplified in the sanctuary.

It was a short walk, as the incident with the centauress had occurred just outside of the Glade's borders. There was a slightly charred maple tree, nothing that would really catch anyone's attention, which marked the beginning of the sanctuary. Several trees and bushes were packed closely together - an illusion to deter trespassers.

Upon seeing the boy and the colorful unicorn, the illusion shimmered away to reveal a place that truly radiated of magic. It almost seemed like the trees themselves held a mystical sheen. The faint glow of flitting pixies emanated from a nearby tree stump. There was a satyr playing his pan flute with a beautiful nymph woman sitting next to him in the stream. Just walking into the Glade would make it clear what kind of place it was - and that was just what was in view upon entering.

Standing at the entrance was a monstrous stag with silver antlers and black and white patterns over his brown coat. It towered over Corrigan, which was surprising considering the unicorn was large for an equine. From the ground to the top of its head, the stag stood probably about seven feet tall, not even counting the massive rack of antlers.

"This is Jeremiah," Joshua said to Kai with a grin. The stag shifted his form to a tall and regal nature spirit with golden glowing eyes and a large staff. "One of my warriors. We're safe in here."

Whim

Kai trailed behind Joshua and Corrigan just a bit, drinking in the sights and sounds of the Glade. The scent of fruit and flowers on the air was intoxicating. Everything, really, was a little more lush and vibrant than it ought to be. The unicorn, nymph, and satyr might have crawled from some romanticized painting of early Serendipity. It made him feel very inadequate. But this wasn't the real him? Was it? "All you're missing are some pegasi flying a rainbow," the jackass smirked, trotting to keep up.

"Do, um, pixies and satyrs fancy being called magical creatures and living in a sort of preserve? I've always saw them more as people. But I guess I'm one too now..." he trailed off awkwardly at the sight of the stage and unicorn. It was still a good question, really. Did clever animals like this want looking after? And did he?

"And it's nice to meet you, Jeremiah," the donkey dipped his head and flicked his ears in a sort of bow to the remarkable beast.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Celegwen

The unicorn smirked, shaking his head. "There are a few pegasi in the Glade," Corrigan said calmly, "though they aren't the most social beings. Perhaps, you'll meet them eventually."

"Welcome, Kai," Jeremiah said, his deep voice not as monotonous as one might think from the being. The tall man, clad in natural armor, bowed deeply to the young boy atop his steed.

Joshua simply smiled at Jeremiah, continuing into the Glade. A small fairy glided over, landing on Corrigan's head and holding onto his horn, peering over towards the donkey. "What's that?" She asked, her voice nearly inaudible to human ears.

"A friend," the boy said, shooing her away. Joshua turned to Kai with a shrug. "Well, calling them magical creatures is like calling Corrigan a unicorn," he said. "It's just what they are." He smiled, as a delicate woman of supernatural beauty approached. "This is Cassia. She's a vila."

Cassia curtsied slightly, fingers entwined in front of her and a gentle, lavender aura surrounding her body. "It's no preserve," she said to Kai, her voice as soft as she probably was. "Everyone is here of their own accord. Besides, doesn't everyone want somewhere that they are safe and belong?"

Whim

"That's a fair point." The idea of needing looking after, probably because of humans, still seemed a touch insulting to Kai but the donkey held his tongue. Sidhe and the like always squawked about men spreading too far and fast. But why did faeries have more right to forests than farmers to farm? It hardly seemed fair. "But how do you decide what can stay or not? Wizards are magical, and we humans are sort-of-creatures. And manticores are surely magical creatures but I think they'd eat- uh, well a lot of things- Oh!"

Kai averted his eyes when Cassia approached. Only then did he realize how stupid that was. No one here wore clothes, and there wasn't much reason to be bashful. "It's, um, nice to meet you Cassia. Are there more like you here? I thibk a vila might have found my necklace..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Celegwen

The boy laughed at the donkey's logic, shaking his head. "Well, there's no boundaries to who is and who isn't allowed into the Glade," Joshua said.

"Are," Corrigan interjected. "There are no boundaries."

Joshua huffed. "Stop correcting me when I'm in the middle of talking! It's embarrassing."

"Then learn to speak correctly," the unicorn said simply.

"Anyway," Joshua said, clearly slightly annoyed at his teacher, "the only rules to visit or stay in the Glade are no violence and no telling anyone about us." His smile returned quickly, looking to the lavender woman. "We actually have a human living here. He's an old hermit man who just wants to live in peace."

Cassia nodded at the boy and to Kai. "I'm afraid there are many vila here," she said softly. "If one of them has stolen your necklace, I would not be able to tell you." She smiled, standing near Kai and outstretching her hand towards his head. She suddenly recoiled, remembering he was not accustomed to the way of life in their little sanctuary and petting behind his ears would probably be insulting. "Um, may I, ser?" She asked the donkey politely.

Tags: