Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Far From Home

Started by DragonSong, January 19, 2018, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@NotSarcastic

Where am I?

Where is my home? My pond, my trees, the deer and trout and the vixen who makes her den in my banks? Where is my family? Where is my forest?

Where am I?!

Panicked, the young nymph attempted to solidify her body, but her emotions were too volatile and the best she could manage was a watery version of her flesh form, fading into pure water at her knees, and her eyes were untempered flame.

Lula gasped as she managed to pull herself from the rush of the water that coaxed her to follow along, to just let go and allow the current to pull her where it would. But she couldn't, it wasn't her current, her river.

What had happened? How had she gotten here?

Her memories were vague and fuzzy at the edges. Someone had come to her forest, her pond. Someone looking for something... Looking for her? She couldn't remember. But- but she remembered being dragged from her pond, and a sickly sweet smell suffocating her nose and mouth, then-

The animals. The deer and birds and foxes and squirrels, rabbits and wolves and even the great bear who tread her territory, they had all come to fight, to protect her. She remembered screaming as she begged the invaders not to hurt her forest, then-

Trapped, cold and dark and cut off from fire or water, gasping for life. Begging, screaming, the ember at her core flickering into an inferno, the rush of the river as she fell, then-

Nothing.

Her breath shuddered out in a long sigh and Lula dragged herself further up onto the bank, drawing her knees up into her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs- at least she had control of her flesh form again. She looked around, saw the grass and the flowers and the trees...but none of it was right. None of it was home.

What was she supposed to do now?

NotSarcastic

It was just another pleasant day of sunny travels for Eiden, a spring in his step and the jingle of gold in his pockets. As I pass through a particularly rich part of the forest, which seemed to buzz more with excitement, the plants more vibrant and wildlife more plentiful.

But something was off. The animal's wide eyes seemed full of fear, the river was still and the sunlight seemed to be less bright here as it tried to shine through the canopy. A sense of unease comes over Eiden, something was missing but what it was he didn't know.

As he continues his way through the trees, the animals scatter far too quickly and with uncharacteristic fear. As a mage, he felt a hole where concentrated magic should be. This was deeply troubling.

A deep growl sounds behind him. He turns and sees a very large, and seemingly very angry bear. But it seems unwilling to approach, slouched on the floor, as though afraid and defeated.

What had happened to this place? He wonders as he  His question is swiftly answered, as he backs away from the bear the next clearing reveals scratched, scorched and ripped open tree trunks, plants uprooted and the mangled corpses of numerous wildlife. Averting his eyes, the sound of rustling leaves floods the clearing, and he casts his gaze around to meet the source of the noise.

(Is that okay? Or should I write some more to make your reply easier?)

Tags: