Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vaulting at Wyrdwood (Closed)

Started by Whim, February 25, 2018, 09:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

I'm usually shy from group threads because they tend to get derailed, or fizzle if someone takes a break. Still, I think a D&D styled exploration of the vaults beneath Wyrdwood Academy might be fun. I believe @Eckhart_Von_Musel @emeraldknight @SilverDragonsBlood were all interested? Otherwise I don't want to go above four players. This thread is mainly to coordinate what's going on in the thread. I think if we stick to a tight script and lay out the details of the Vaults here it will run more smoothly.

Right now everything is kind of preliminary. If you guys have other ideas about how our characters might know each-other, or why they're going, I'm all ears.

QuotePremise
Principles of Arcane Warfare is a course mandated for underclassmen at Wyrdwood. This semester Maergath was asked to teach it, and the old wizard is furious to have such trivialities interrupt his work. A great proponent of learning through pain and adversity Maergath had instituted a brutal regimen of drills and mock combat. Students with gentler dispositions, or talents ill-suited to creatively overcoming magical shields, find themselves thrashed on a daily basis. Four of such students sit in a courtyard nursing their bruises and waiting for some hexes to dissipate.

An older student, perhaps a family connection, takes pity on the four and hands them a crumpled map. It points the way to a library of forbidden books deep in the Vaults. The Blue Ribbon Basilisks have apparently been passing around the map for years, and all their best battle mages have the trip! Surely they'll prove to everyone what great wizards they are when all is said and done...

QuoteThe Wyrdwood Vaults
The vaults are a euphemism for the basements beneath Wyrdwood Academy. In truth its more a twisting network of caves. Maddening puzzles, crippling curses, and thick adamantine gates keep most intruders out. The chambers house everything from forbidden spell-books, to cursed daemon-mirrors, to quarantined fungal colonies. Only the headmistress and senior Magisters know its full contents.

Homunculi, imps created from fae-blood, serve as stewards and guardians. They are efficient, dutiful, and able to devour unwanted magic.

QuoteCast

So a few things:

1) I'm thinking we should try and keep the thread small in scope and stick to some kind of structure like? Figure it might be something like: (1) exposition in the courtyard;(2) following the map with a surprise or two; (3) breaking into the Library; (4) Investigating their treasure.

2) I don't want to make it follow such tight rules there's no room for creativity. If anyone really wants a certain encounter or conflict to take place we can discuss it here, and find a place to insert it.

3) Nothing's set in stone so feel free to include anything that might make a better story.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

emeraldknight

Sounds like an awesome idea! I'd be happy to send Taig into the depths! No complaints or additions here.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sounds like fun! I'll sign up Susie!

Celegwen

Whim

@Eckhart_Von_Musel @emeraldknight @SilverDragonsBlood

I set up a discord room as it might be easier to coordinate the minutia of the event. I'll try and get some exposition up this week unless anyone has any requests or things to add.

https://discord.gg/CYumdYV

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Whim

It begins...

I don't think we need a formal posting order as of yet. I suppose I passed the ball to Taig to respond first? Though characters can interject as they see fit for now I suppose. I'd thought we might use the courtyard just to get a little feel for how our characters relate, and the adventure can be kicked off in full once Susie reveals an odd note she found offering advice to struggling battle mages...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: