Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Fire in Their Eyes [M]

Started by DragonSong, April 24, 2018, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Elf Lady Love

((In case you're curious, this is what Moony looks like))

"What do you mean I can't work with him?!" Aya shouted at the soldier standing in front of her, blocking her entrance to the paddock. "He's more my horse than he ever was that prancing lordling's, and it's crystal clear that none of you lot know what the hells you're doing!"

She gestured widely at the three stablehands attempting to catch the blood bay stallion that raced around the paddock, wings bound firmly to his sides. How they'd even managed that was a mystery to her, because it seemed pretty clear that none of them were very competent.

Darkmoon suddenly screamed a challenge and whirled on his pursuers, going after them with hellfire in his amber eyes. The stablehands shouted and ran for cover, the angry draquus at their heels.

Aya turned back to the soldier and quirked an eyebrow as though to say, You see? "I'm telling you, if you don't let me in there right now to calm him down, someone is going to get really hurt."

The armored man snarled at her, evidently unimpressed. "That so, girlie? And what use would we have for ye after that, huh? Go on, get." He waved a gauntleted hand at her. "I'll call my captain to come clear ye off if you don't start moving."

Aya bared her teeth and turned on her heel, mind racing.

Alright then. If they weren't going to be reasonable, she'd just have to improvise.

She suddenly feinted right, as though she was going to dart around the soldier, then spun on a dot and threw herself leftward, up and over the fence, directly in the path of the charging animal.

Lowen Thorn

"That horse is going to kill them!"

Foggy had only just arrived when he saw the draquus charging at the stablehands. Gods, this really got out of hand. And what were the other soldiers doing? Just standing by and watching as the others ran for their lives? And one of them was chatting up a young girl, for that matter. How very irresponsible, he thought. He was about to step in in attempts to mediate the situation, when he saw a flash of color from the corner of his eye.

Wait.

The girl!

She was heading into the paddock at a full sprint, directly in line with the horse's path.

Without hesitation, the young soldier hopped the fence and darted in her direction, trying to reach a middle ground between her and the horse.

"Stop! Miss!" he shouted as got in between them. "You're in danger!"

DragonSong

"What the-- get out of the way!"

Aya gritted her teeth and shouted something about "idiots in fancy metal cans" as she raced forward and just barely managed to knock to foolhardy soldier aside an instant before Darkmoon was on top of him.

Planting herself in front of the stranger, she raised her hands to the raging animal and murmured calmly, "Whoa, boy, steady, steady. It's just me, easy now, it's me, it's Aya..."

Darkmoon's nostrils flared and he tossed his head, rearing and screaming a challenge. But he didn't charge. In fact, he didn't move from his place in front of her, other than hopping on his front legs a few times in half rears. It was clear to anyone who was familiar with horses that he wasn't just angry-- he was panicked, terrified.

"Easy, boy, easy," Aya crooned again, gently catching his head. For a moment it looked as though the draquus might tear her arm off, ears flat to his skull and wings straining against their bonds.

Then, abruptly, he sighed, and his head dropped low, pressing into her chest. Aya wrapped her arms around his neck, scratching his poll and whispering soothingly to him until his wild panting calmed to shuddering sighs, his flank still twitching with the occasional start.

Looking back over her shoulder, she cocked one eyebrow at the soldier who'd tried to "help" her. "What in all gods' names were you thinking?" she asked mildly.

Lowen Thorn

Get out of the way!

Not a chance. Foggy spread his arms out in attempt to block her from the charging steed. After all, it was his duty to protect the citizens at all costs - even if it meant his life.

But it didn't happen that way.

He found himself on the ground, looking up at the young girl taming the draquus.

Damn, the other soldiers should have just let her in after all.

He was slightly dazed, both from being suddenly knocked to the ground by a small, young girl, and even more so from watching the animal go from panicked fury to a state of calm, but soon focused in on the girl as she spoke to him.

"Oh, you know," he said, a hint of embarrassment in his voice. "I thought you were in danger."

DragonSong

Aya giggled. In a moment she transformed from a creature of fury and determination to a young stable girl with sparkling amethyst eyes. Giving Darkmoon another fond pat, she moved away from him and bent to offer a hand to the soldier.

"Aya," she introduced herself, still smiling. "And thanks for the help-- even if I ended up saving your ass."

Lowen Thorn

The man returned a bright smile and shook her hand. "You really did," he admitted with a laugh. "You're really good with him. I'm assuming he is actually your horse. Oh!"

His face grew a slight shade of red as he realized he was still shaking the girl's hand, but had not yet given a name.

"Foggy. Nice to meet you, Aya."

DragonSong

She laughed again, and a considerably calmer draquus snorted and nosed at her shoulder, evidently irritated that she was wasting her attention on this two-legger rather than fawning over him.

"You hush," she told the animal, shoving his head away. He snorted and jerked back, the very picture of offended, though he made not even a hint of a move to harm her or Foggy. Now that Aya was near, he seemed perfectly placid.

Looking back to the soldier, Aya shrugged. "Not mine, exactly. I was his groom for a long time-- practically raised him, actually, after his dam died." She sighed, glancing toward the paddock fence where the stablehands and the soldier that had been giving her a hard time were clustered, muttering to each other. "His...real owner sold him to you lot, two days ago." She frowned. "But none of this damn commandos-- ah, no offence-- have any idea what they're doing with him!"

Lowen Thorn

"No offense taken. I agree!" he said, getting back up to his feet. "Sounds like we should hire you then. I don't think any of these men can tame him. Hell, I don't think I can."

He grinned again, and glanced up at the animal. "You know, when he's not charging at you with hell fire he's actually pretty cute."

DragonSong

As though in response to his words, the stallion pinned his ears threateningly at the soldier. Aya rolled her eyes and shoved his flank, making him snort and give her a baleful look.

"Knock off the attitude," she told him. Glancing back to Foggy with a small smirk, she added, "Maybe stay away from cute. He's a little touchy." Her smiled widened and she added happily, "I wouldn't mind workin' here-- but do you have the authority to just up and hire me like that?"

Lowen Thorn

"Oh, I outrank all of these men. It would be no problem at all if that's something you want to do. Oh, and about that," he said, motioning to Darkmoon, "I'll keep that in mind."

He glanced over to the men in the surrounding area. The exhausted stablehands and the lower-ranking soldiers alike. They were all in awe over Aya's ability to tame the horse, and one soldier in particular made an effort to hide his glares.

He chuckled, nodding in the man's direction. "I bet that one gave you some trouble, didn't he?" he asked with a chipper tone. "It would be my pleasure to inform him that you are joining us first. Shall we go together?"

DragonSong

Aya positively beamed. "Oh, I'd love to see that," she chortled. Throwing one arm around Darkmoon's neck, she nodded to Foggy. "Lead the way, sir, we'll be right behind ya."

Lowen Thorn

"Right this way, m'lady," he obliged.

He walked over to the armored man with his held head high, the girl and her horse following, and the opposing soldier looked a bit grim as they did.

"Afternoon, sir Francis," he said with a cheery grin. "This is Aya. I have officially hired her for today's little adventure. We will need somebody who can properly tame and manage this horse."

The soldier, shocked, went to speak, but Foggy spoke again before he could.

"Aya, meet Francis. We call him Fancy Francy around here."

DragonSong

"Pleasure, really," Aya smirked, leaning easily against Darkmoon's side. In her presence, the raging stallion was calm and sweet as a spring foal, even lipping affectionately at her hair and nuzzling for her attention.

She glanced at her new employer and quirked an eyebrow. "What exactly is this adventure of yours, anyway?"

Lowen Thorn

"Fancy Francy" was more than just embarrassed, but rather than say anything he just walked away.

"Ah, yes. I probably should have mentioned that before I hired you," he said. "There's been a rather large number of Basilisks from the Draconi Forest making their way to the outskirts of Ketra. I've assembled a team to go eliminate the threat. If those beasts were to reach the city, well..."

He trailed off for a moment. "Let's not think about that," he concluded. "But, you have my word, I will make sure nothing happens to you or your steed."

DragonSong

"Well, he's not exactly mine, still," Aya sighed, but she offered a small smile quickly enough. "But thanks. We're not totally helpless though, y'know. We can take care of ourselves."

Lowen Thorn

"Hmm, right," he nodded, his thoughts spinning. "I believe you."

He walked away from Francis and headed toward the stable, assuming the young girl and the horse would be following. "We will need to leave soon. Do you have everything you need, or do we need to stop by your home first?"

DragonSong

"Mmm..." Aya hedged, biting at her lip. On the one hand, heading home to grab a few supplies would be nice-- but on the other hand, her mother would never let her go on a mission like this.

"Nope, I'm good," she chirped easily, patting Darkmoon's flank.

Lowen Thorn

Foggy's face lit up once more. That was easy enough.

"Wonderful," he said, smiling from ear to ear. "Then we best be off soon. Do you mind waiting here while I go get my horse? From there, we, and the few soldiers here, will meet the rest of my troops just outside of Ketra. Make sure you are ready."

DragonSong

Aya nodded, scratching at Darkmoon's whithers. "We'll, uh, be here," she said with an only slightly forced smile.

Oh, her mother was going to kill her.

Lowen Thorn

Foggy acknowledged her response with a quick nod, and then moved into the stables to mount his horse. He really did not know what he was thinking, bringing along such a young girl that could prove to be a very dangerous mission.

But it couldn't be helped. The girls' horse would prove useful, and as it stands she was the only one who could control him. He really had no time for anything else. He.. Yes, he would just have to watch her very closely during their time together. It would not look good on him, or the Adelan military in general, if something were to happen under his watch.

A few minutes past and the soldier exited the stable, riding atop his faithful black steed.

"Aya, are you ready?"