Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire in Their Eyes [M]

Started by DragonSong, April 24, 2018, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Loretta bared her teeth, eyes flashing. "Very well," she hissed. "Give me your name and rank. You will also be reported for insubordiation."

The Commander had left her daughter at home, in bed-- as far as she knew. But Aya needed the comfort that only horses had been able to provide her so far in her life. So she'd flung a dark gray cloak around her shoulders and headed out toward Darkmoon's stable, praying that she wouldn't run into any members of the Brigade while she was out.

Lowen Thorn

"Sorry ma'am," the guard said again. "Rules are rules. I can't give you any more information than I already have."

The soldier's eyes had a hard time meeting Loretta's, and he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep someone like her at bay - but it was for the greater good, as Cecil said. It couldn't be helped. "If you have no business here-" he started to say again, but was swiftly cut off by voice, approaching from behind Commander Almarin.

"Do you always disrespect your superiors like that?"

The soldier's eyes widened and his posture straightened up immensely. "Cai- Erm, Commander Vahn!"

"Let me out of here!" Foggy tried for a scream, but to no avail. No one could hear him. The cells in the Brigade's underground dungeons were designed for just that.

DragonSong

"Ah!" She turned to see Cain, eyes narrowed. "You're Cain Vahn, the captain here?" Loretta demanded.

About halfway to her destination, skirting as far around the Brigade's base as she could manage, Aya froze. Was that...? No, she couldn't have heard that.

But... Strange things were happening to her. Maybe it was possible?

With a nervous swallow, Aya closed her eyes and listened, trying to see if she could pinpoint the voice she'd heard.

Lowen Thorn

Cain met Loretta's eyes and smiled gently at her. "You're correct, and you must be Commander Almarin. I'm surprised we've never met," he said with an almost smug innocence as he offered his hand. "What brings you here today? How can I help?"

"F-Fuck," Foggy groaned, flailing his arms about to send a rattling echo through the dungeons and his chains slapped against the stone wall. "I can't believe this is happening.. C'mon, Foggy. You gotta get out of here."

DragonSong

Aya found herself at the back of the base, already tense and shaky just being close to the building.

No, you can do this. Get ahold of yourself.

She knew the sound was coming from here. Could it have been... "Foggy?" she hissed, kneeling down toward what might have been a grate.

Loretta stared the captain down. "Where is your second? Cecil. I need to inform both of you that I'm reporting you for harassment, improper conduct, and assault."

Lowen Thorn

Cain's brow furrowed at the woman's statement. "Is that what you have been hearing?" he asked, seemingly a little troubled. "Well, Cecil has been in charge while I was away, so he should be around here somewhere I would imagine. But, I believe you've been told wrong. It was lieutenant Foggy who acted out of line."

He sighed and placed a hand delicately on his forehead. "You must be referring to the stable girl," he went on. "I don't know what came over him, but he is in our custody now. Rest assured we do not take these matters lightly."

"Let me out!" Foggy screamed again, his voice cracking along with the chains that whipped against the stone wall. "...You don't have to do this." His voice softened and his eyes trailed absently to the ground. How in the hells was he going to get out of this? What could he possibly do, and what were they going to do?

Foggy?

His head quickly jerked up. Was he imagining things?

"...Aya?"

DragonSong

Loretta narrowed her eyes dangerously. "I'm going to give you a second chance not to lie to me," she said, voice soft but somehow still thunderous. "The stablegirl in question is my daughter."

"Foggy!" That was definitely him. Huh. Seemed like these overwhelming senses could actually be useful. "Are you alright? What happened?!"

Lowen Thorn

Cain's false look of concern faltered and he was left with an annoyed smirk. "Your daughter," he repeated in a calculated tone. "Well, it's her word against ours, then. Do you have any proof?"

He wasn't imagining things. "Aya! Where are you?" he asked, a flicker of hope thumping into his chest. "They knocked me out and locked me up down in our prisoner cells. What's going on out there?"

DragonSong

The commander bared her teeth in a savage grin. "You're right. Currently, it is her word against yours. But you seem to be making a mistake in believing that I-- or any member of a tribunal-- would favor your word over hers."

She leaned forward slightly, looming over him. "Welcome to Adela. Our women are more powerful than you believe, and their voices stronger. I have no idea how you've made it this far in  the military with your backwards, inbred attitude, but it stops here."

"I-- I don't really know," Aya stammered, glancing around nervously. "I was going to see Moony-- what the hells happened to you? How long have you been down there?"

Lowen Thorn

"I.. I don't know," he said in a defeated tone. "I have no idea how long I've been down here.. last thing I remember was confronting Cecil and everything went black.."

He panted softly, trying to control his breath to take his focus off away the throbbing in the back of his head. "Aya," he called again after several moments. "How are you talking to me now? What are you near?"

It was a muffled laugh, but it was a laugh, and not a very nice one. Cain shrugged, and turned his back to her as he took a few steps into the courtyard. "I wouldn't know what you are talking about," he said in a cold, calculated voice. "But if I did, I would tell you I accept the challenge and.. watch your back."

DragonSong

"Um, it's a sort of grate?" Aya hissed back, looking around again. Gods, please don't let anyone see me... "It's in the back of the Bridage base."

Loretta didn't deign to dignify that with a response. She simply nodded and strode back out through the courtyard. "Very well. Since you will not comply, I will simply report to your superiors."

Lowen Thorn

Back on the base?!

"Aya," his voice somewhat of a plead. "It's not safe for you to be here.. I don't know what they will do to you if I'm stuck down here."

Damn. What to do?

"You said a grate?" he asked in a harsh whisper. "Can you lift it?"

DragonSong

Yeah.

She didn't really want to think about that.

"Um..." Aya eyed the grate nervously. "I-- I can try." She reached out to wrap her fingers around the metal bars of the grate and pulled, grunting with the effort.

Iron snapped like dry twigs beneath her hands, clanging loudly as she jumped back with a startled yelp.

Lowen Thorn

"W-What? What happened?!" Foggy asked, probably a little louder than he intended. "Are you okay?"

..That sound. Did she just snap the bars in half?

Cain watched Commander Almarin leave almost menacingly before making his way through the rest of the courtyard and into the building to find Cecil.

"We have a problem."

DragonSong

"I-I'm fine," Aya stammered, still staring at the warped grate. She shook her head. "Okay. I think If I mess with it a little more I can get down there and help you."

Lowen Thorn

"Okay, just be careful."

His words were still buried in a whisper, but it echoed enough to where he was sure he was heard. Hopefully just by her, and no one passing by.

DragonSong

Aya nodded, though she knew he couldn't see, and carefully pried the hole she'd already made in the grate wider. Once it was about the width of her shoulders, she wriggled in, feet first.

"Okay. I'm-- uff-- I'm almost in," she grunted. "Where exactly are you?"

Lowen Thorn

"I'm chained up in the prison chambers," he said quietly. "It's underground. I'm not sure how you are going to get to me from where you are at.. There are stairs in the back of the building that we use, but it's-"

The sound of footsteps echoed distantly, but picked up in volume as it grew nearer.

"Shhh, someone's coming," Foggy hissed quickly.

A few moments later and the steel door swung open to reveal Cecil. "Talking to ourselves now, are we?"

DragonSong

Dropping down into a dark room, Aya froze. Another voice, one she recognized-- one that sent shivers crawling down her spine.

Lowen Thorn

"Cecil," Foggy seethed. "What the fuck are you doing?"

His voice was no longer any sort of plea for the truth, but rather a demand. His face was red hot with anger, and if he hadn't been chained up he wouldn't be able to resist the urge to lunge at the man and break his face.

"Oh, shut up, Fog," Cecil said dismissively as he walked toward him. "You were always a stick in the mud.

"Why are you doing this? Answer me, damn you."

"Answer me, damn you," Cecil mocked him in return. "Please. You know full fucking well why we are doing this, Fog. Running around with a little mutt like that stable girl. Sullying the Brigade's good name by letting hiring her own as one of us."

"...Does everyone know?" Foggy asked quietly, not really wanting to know the answer. "Does everyone know what you do besides me? ..Is everyone like you?"

The soldier laughed in a not-so-nice way, clearly amused. "Not everyone," he admitted. "But we are weening those people out. Just like we have to ween you out."

Foggy's teeth grinded against each other. "What do you mean by that?"

Cecil's face grew very serious, and he let out an exasperated breath. "I'm sorry to be the one who has to inform you this.. but we are arranging for your execution," he said, eyes absent of any emotion as Foggy tensed. "For the murder of Commander Almarin and her daughter, Aya. Can't let someone like that ruin the good name of the Black Brigade, can we?"

"Bullshit!" Foggy retorted in panic. "Aya- Er, I didn't kill anyone! You can't hang me for killing people I didn't kill! Killing people who are still very much ali-"

"Well, that won't be the case come morning," Cecil said sharply before turning on his heel and walking toward the exit.

Foggy let that muster for a moment, his chest burning. But, before Cecil could leave, he had to ask the question. "...Were you ever really my friend? The boy I grew up with?"

Cecil stopped but didn't turn around, contemplating for a moment, but didn't say a word and continued out the door.

The steel door slammed shut.