Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Fire in Their Eyes [M]

Started by DragonSong, April 24, 2018, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"At your order, Ser." Aya's grin was savagely bright, eyes crackling with energy.

This...she'd never felt anything like this. She swung easily up onto Moony's back and twined her fingers in his mane. The stallion reared and clawed at the air, calling a challenge to the remaining beasts.

And Aya laughed, wild and fierce.

Lowen Thorn

Foggy watched the young woman in awe as she swung herself back into action with a fearless laugh. "You okay?" he asked with a soft chuckle.

Before she could answer, the basilisk from before slithered in their direction.

DragonSong

Aya was about to respond, but movement caught her attention and she quickly twisted her head. "Shut your eyes!"

The basilisk launched toward them, aiming for Darkmoon's throat. It seemed to have realized that its gaze held no particular power over him.

With a soft cry Aya found herself staring directly into its face. It was just for a moment, the briefest instant, but it was enough to freeze her in place, to feel the cold begin to seep into her fingers.

Or at least...it should have been.

Lowen Thorn

"Aya, don't look!"

Foggy's words didn't reach her in time, and out of some sort of panicky fight-or-flight response, he lunged from Storm and onto the beast's back. Quickly, he drove his blade into the back of its head, but was met with an insant backlash, slinging the man through the air and back into the dirt.

DragonSong

Barely managing to shake herself out of her temporary paralysis, Aya gave a soft cry as she saw Foggy once more thrown from Storm's back.

Acting almost entirely on instinct, she threw herself forward as Darkmoon lunged, rolling from his back to crouch protectively in front of the soldier as her horse whirled and drove his hooves into the creature's back.

Lowen Thorn

Having the wind knocked out of him, it took a moment for Foggy to regain his composure.  This wasn't going as well as he anticipated, and the young girl he thought he would have to look after was constantly looking after him.

Sitting upright, he looked at Aya in disbelief. "Aya, are you okay? Didn't you just look in its eyes?"

DragonSong

"I--" She paused, blinking, shaking slightly. "I don't-- I can't have..."

She shook her head, trying to snap herself out of her state of shock. "Come on, I think there's only one left, we have to get it."

Lowen Thorn

"You're right."

There would be time for that later, and right now the rest of his men had the remaining basilisk cornered. Whistling for Storm, the steed rushed to his side and in one quick motion Foggy whipped on top of him and charged at full speed.

DragonSong

Aya was a little less graceful than she had been as she sprang onto Darkmoon's back. Somehow she managed to hold her horse back from the thick of things, shouting that since the basilisks didn't affect him the same way they'd be keeping a lookout.

She bowed her head low over his neck, mind racing.

She'd looked at it. She'd looked right at it. And she'd felt something, sure, but she was still breathing.

That shouldn't be possible.

Lowen Thorn

Foggy's eyes stayed level with just below the beast's glare as he and Storm charged in its direction. "Storm, now," he whispered to him as they closed in. Quickly, the horse turned and Foggy lunged once more.

As the young soldier flung through the air, Storm circled around. With as much precision as the man could muster, he sliced at the basilisk's neck as he passed by mid-air, landing firmly back on Storm with a heavy thud as he came down.

The giant beast hissed in pain before its head sunk to the ground. It was badly injured, but it was still alive.

DragonSong

Darkmoon did not relinquish the kill last gently. When Aya glanced back to see what had happened, he jerked his head from her grip and lunges for the dying creature, sharp fangs tore at the already gaping wound and he shook it, like a wolf with a rabbit.

Finally, the basilisk was dropped dead at his hooves. Aya stayed perched on his back, frozen and panting.

Lowen Thorn

After the kill, Storm made his way over to Aya and Darkmoon as Foggy rode atop.

"Aya," the soldier called to her as they trotted over. "That was excellent work. How are you holding up?"

DragonSong

"I'm, um..." She took a breath, gaze a little fuzzy as she turned toward him. "I'm alright..."

Lowen Thorn

His face grew concerned as he watched the girl. "Are you sure?" he asked, moving closer to get a better look at her. "Do I need to take you to the medic? I've never seen someone stare into the eyes of a basilisk and live to tell the tale. You are.. truly special."

DragonSong

"No," she responded immediately. "No, I'm not...I don't--"

She cleared her throat and looked away. "We should just...what comes next? Do you have to report in or something?"

Lowen Thorn

Foggy watched her skeptically as the woman tried to find her words. He thought about pressing, but thought better and decided to go with her change of subject.

"I do," he said firmly. "I will need to report this to my commander. But it's strange.." his voice trailed off, taking another look around. "Our reports said three basilisks. Not two."

DragonSong

Oh dear.

Aya leaned a little lower over Darkmoon's neck. "Should we...I dunno, look around? Maybe the third one is hanging back somewhere..."

Lowen Thorn

Foggy scanned his troops that remained in the field. A couple of minor injuries, but nothing too serious. Thank Gods.

"I don't want my men to have to face any more of those today if they can help it," he finally answered after some contemplation. "I'm going to send them back to base, and I'll continue the search myself. You are welcome to come along if you wish. Hell, I may need you."

DragonSong

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Aya frowned. "What if it is out there? Can we really take it on just the two of us?"

Lowen Thorn

Foggy gave her a confident smile, though he was not exactly confident.

"I was hesitant at first because I was too worried about watching over you," he admitted. "But you proved me wrong several times. If I can focus my full attention on just one, I should have no trouble at all."

That last part was a clever lie, but he wouldn't see any of his men face any more danger.