Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire in Their Eyes [M]

Started by DragonSong, April 24, 2018, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh! No, that's really not necessary--" She paused, huffed, then smiled. "Yeah. Um, thanks, Ser."

She nodded quickly. "I'm ready."

Lowen Thorn

"I insist," he said firmly. "Nevertheless, we should go ahead and get going. Our base is in Ketra so it won't take us long to get there. I'll introduce you to my commander when we make our report."

With that, Foggy and Storm made their way out of the forest and headed toward the city.

DragonSong

Aya shrugged as she urged Darkmoon forward after the another horse. "Whatever you say..." she murmured, sounding a little distracted.

Had had happened back there? Was she...somehow immune to a basilisk's stare? Why?

And what was her mother going to do when she got home?

Lowen Thorn

They had arrived city but were not yet back at the base, and he he led them back to the paddock where he first got "acquainted" with Darkmoon. After a quick word with the stable hands,  he dismounted Storm and walked back to Aya.

"I'm sorry, but you will have to leave him here. For now.

He motioned toward the draaqus with an apologetic look.

DragonSong

Aya nodded as she dismounted, rubbing her horse's neck. "I'm sure he'll survive without me for a few moments, at least," she murmured teasingly, though she still seemed a little distracted.

Lowen Thorn

"Are you okay?" he asked, eyeing her a little bit closer now. "You were awfully quiet on the trip back here, and you seem... a little off."

DragonSong

"Oh-- uh, I was just...processing," she replied quickly, forcing a smile. "I've never done anything like that."

Lowen Thorn

"Like stare a basilisk square in the eyes and live to tell about it?" he asked teasingly. "You may be a first for that."

DragonSong

She huffed and shook her head. "I still don't-- there must have been something strange happening. Maybe it wasn't really looking at me or something."

Lowen Thorn

"Sure," he smiled. "That must have been the case. I'm just glad you are okay."

He motioned for her to follow him out of the paddock, and began walking toward the exit. "Regardless, everyone will love to hear this story," he said over his shoulder. "They may try to recruit you after hearing this."

DragonSong

"Oh gods." She chuckled and rolled her eyes. "I might be able to talk Mum into letting me work as a hostler, but she'd kill me if I joined the military for-real like."

Lowen Thorn

Foggy chuckled lightheartedly. "Your mother doesn't know you came with us today, does she?" he asked. "I may be in a bit of trouble too, then."

DragonSong

"Nah." She waved her hand at him with a lopsided smile. "You didn't make me come with you. It was on me."

Lowen Thorn

With a smile, he replied, "Oh, but I won't see my new friend in any sort of trouble. Count on that."

Foggy was a bit simple-minded, but he preferred life that way. Always trying to be nice and polite, the opposite of the way he was raised, he desperately sought the good in people and didn't want to see anyone hurt, if he could help it. He felt the same toward Aya, the little he knew of her. But she was nice, and even after putting her in harm's way, she was still with him, and that was more than enough.

"You won't have to worry too much," he said cheerfully. "Jokes aside, I do not know if the Brigade would permit a woman to join the ranks. Stuck in there old ways, you know?"

DragonSong

Aya's lips thinned slightly and she raised one eyebrow. "Funny. Considering my mother is the Commander of the West Legion," she noted with a little roll of her eyes.

She didn't pretend to understand military politics, but she knew only a few outfits balked at the idea of employing women. Her mother and women like her had made sure of that.

Lowen Thorn

"And that's the way it should be," he said in agreement with Aya. "I'll never understand why some units would be so opposed-"

Wait.

He peered over at her with his brows furrowed. "Your mother is Commander Almarin?"

DragonSong

Aya flushed as she realized her mistake. She laughed nervously and tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Um, yeah. That's her."

Lowen Thorn

Foggy looked upon the girl for several silent moments, not entirely sure what situation that put him in. In addition, it appeared the girl was now uncomfortable.

"Well..." he started, his voice trailing off his thought. "Now I know your last name. Let's head back to the base, Aya."

DragonSong

She breathed out a soft huff of relief, glad he wasn't going to make a big deal out of that. "Yeah, let's."

Lowen Thorn

His joke about getting in trouble with her mother became all too real now, though he would accept full responsibility if it came to that. Besides, Aya handled herself well, and he would rather not think what would have happened if she and Darkmoon were not there.

He made his way out of the paddock, and into the streets of Ketra.