Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Loyal to the Motherland [M]

Started by DragonSong, May 25, 2018, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Hey, don't apologize." Evidently oblivious to Dane's hesitation, he quickly and efficiently spread the salve over his palms, then set about wrapping thin strips of linen around his hands. "Leave that on for the night, okay? It'll do wonders, I promise."

He looked up with a smile as he retrieved the sparkstone from his pack. "Y'know, it's a nice gesture wanting the fire to be lit and all, but we're traveling with a dragon," he pointed out with a chuckle as he handed the stone over. "But it'd probably be good for you to learn how to do it on your own. You know how to use one of those?"

Juno

Dane stared in open astonishment at how deftly Verik managed to treat his hands. He supposed it was a necessary skill for survival in his profession, though. Blessedly the salve seemed to be working rather quickly to soothe the heated flesh of his palms.

He took the stone, holding it rather cluelessly as his gaze fell upon the neat tower of sticks he'd arranged in their absence. "Not...really," he admitted quietly, lifting his head slightly to flash Verik an apologetic smile.

"Just wanted it to be ready when you got back. And...I don't want to impose on Bane. Could you show me?" he asked sheepishly, awkwardly holding out his hand to offer the stone back to him. Spirits, he hoped the soldier didn't think him stupid for that.

DragonSong

Verik chuckled a bit and nodded. "Course. But don't worry about imposing on Bane. Fire is easy for him, easy as breathing."

The dragon huffed and curled his tail around toward his front paws, making a show of settling in to relax. Verik rolled his eyes as he ushered Dane toward the fire.

"Alright, see this?" He took the sparkstone, a flint lighter in his other hand. "It's a lot simpler than rubbing two sticks together, but it's the same principle." He placed both sparkstone and flint into Dane's hands and shifted to show him how to hold them, larger, rougher hands pressed outside his. "Okay, now you hold the sparkstone as flat as you can, over the kindling, like this, and you strike down with the flint."

He guided the other man;s hands slowly, showing him the motion, before sitting back. "Alright, try it."

Juno

Dane followed after him, crouching beside the fire and watching his every move with rapt attention. There was a distinct lack of panic in his heart for the way Verik guided him through the motions, his touch feeling warm and supportive rather than the harsh roughness he was more accustomed to. Somehow it still surprised him that the soldier was so patient and kind enough to help him when ridicule would have been much more normal in his place.

He was starting to think it was truly just the dragonrider's nature.

Once he was left to try it on his own it only took Dane a few attempts to manage the right amount of force to finally make a spark that caught in the kindling at the base of the pit. He leaned back on his heels with a satisfied huff, just watching for a moment as the fire grew before he collected the stone and flint into one hand and twisted a little to offer them back to Verik.

"I probably could have figured this out. I didn't think to- I didn't want to go through your things, though," he offered, trying for a small smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Thank you."

DragonSong

"Well, I appreciate that," Verik chuckled.

Then he realized what he's said and suddenly flushed a bit, adding quickly, "Not that there's anything in there I wouldn't want you seeing or anything-- I mean, I don't want you looking through my stuff-- that is, not like it's an order or anything I'd just be...uncomfortable? B-but I'm not hiding anything weird or--"

He stopped, blushing, then sighed and dragged a hand down his face. "I'm just making this worse, aren't I?"

Juno

Dane was a little surprised for Verik's fumbling, the redness across his cheeks endearing and...very charming if he was being honest with himself.

"No, no... I think I understand," he offered, his grin a little wider -and more genuine- as he reached out and chanced a comforting touch against the dragon rider's arm. "You want your privacy. And you're entitled to that." At least he hoped it was that and not that the other man had anything to be worried about hiding from him.

The slave turned his head to look at Bane seeming comfortable and rather pleased with himself, eyeing the bucks for a moment before gesturing at them. "I suppose some of that's for him? I can dress the rest if you like or...help you with that," he offered, uncertain how comfortable the soldier was with letting him handle a knife. It wasn't much of a weapon but it still was one.

DragonSong

"Mm." Verik glanced at his partner, still feeling a little awkward. "Let him eat his bit first. It'll be easier to just clean what's left rather than trying to portion it out now."

In all likelihood, Bane would eat at least a buck an a half himself. That would be half a buck to clean and butcher for him and Dane, which would be more than a enough. Maybe they could dry some of the meat and take it along...

Better than the provisions he'd been given, anyway."

Juno

"Oh. Yes, you're probably right," he fumbled, lowering his arm and looking around at the camp he'd set up for them. The fire was lit and they'd have food later. Everything else seemed...done. It was a strange feeling and certainly not something he felt comfortable with yet.

"Is there anything else I can do for you then?" Dane asked, tilting his head at the soldier with an uneasy glint in his eyes.

DragonSong

"No, I think we're all set," Verik mused, glancing around again. "I dunno, unless you've got a burning idea on your mind?"

Juno

The slave's eyes widened a bit at that and he shook his head. How could he explain?

For a moment he just stared at Verik and then looked down at the ground with uncertainty. "No, just- I'm surprised there's so little you want my help with." Dane cringed a bit for that. No, that sounded wrong.

"I mean...the lack of duties, I guess? It feels odd." He bit his lip for that, shaking his head again. Now it sounded like he wanted more work. "Just, I hope you understand you can ask more of me if there's anything else you want me to do."

Ice blue eyes lifted to eye the dragon curiously for a moment. "Does his saddle need polishing? Will he ever need a bath?"

DragonSong

Verik watched him silently for a few moments, considering. "No, don't need to worry about the saddle, not yet, and he mostly keeps himself clean," he murmured, almost sounding more as though he was thinking out loud rather than really answering.

Shaking his head, he added, "Well, if there's something you want to do, just...do that. I dunno. What do you normally do when you need to entertain yourself?"