Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Loyal to the Motherland [M]

Started by DragonSong, May 25, 2018, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Well great. Now he was being a bully.

Gods, he really wasn't good with people.

Huffing out a breath, Verik shook his head and muttered, "No, it's...it's fine. You're allowed to speak your mind, don't worry about it." He shrugged slightly and added, "I just don't want you to feel guilty about need help. If something is...I dunno, too much for you, just...let me know?"

Juno

Dane narrowed his eyes at the back of the dragon's neck, not understanding how this man might ever want him to admit fault and weakness in himself. It was so difficult to step out of the mindset that had been trained into him for so long and see that Verik might actually want to help him.

"Nothing is too much," he said softly. "Not everything is comfortable or easy, but I promise I can manage it."

DragonSong

Okay, this conversation was going to get nowhere, quickly.

Verik sighed and rolled his eyes, but nodded. "Yeah, alright." He was quiet a moment, then muttered, "We should be reaching the first outpost soon. You think you can handle the landing okay?"

Juno

Dane perked up slightly at that, very eager to be down and out of the sky as soon as possible. "I think so... Is it much different than before?"

DragonSong

"Well...not really?" It was weird to try to explain this. He was so used to just doing it. "It can be a bit...jarring, if you're not used to it. But since I'm behind you now, it should be alright. I can be a safety belt," he tried to joke.

Juno

Wonderful. Jarring was exactly the sort of description he'd been hoping for.

Dane gulped nervously, steeling himself and giving a small nod of understanding. He reached down to grip onto Bane's saddle however he could manage, uncertain how forceful of an impact it might be and determined to not go flying when it happened and embarrass himself. "Alright... Just- Please don't be angry if I scream?"

DragonSong

Oh dear gods.

"Look, lad," Verik snorted, half laughing and half groaning, "when we get back to the barracks, you really shouldn't say things like that."

He shrugged as he felt Bane start to bank into a shallow dive. "I'm not going to be angry with you, Dane. But it's nothing to be afraid of, really."

Almost unconsciously, he looped an arm around the smaller man's waist, securing him against his chest as Bane's dive grew steeper, the ground now fast approaching. All in all it was a relatively smooth landing, but there was only so much an animal as large as Bane could do to avoid "jarring".

Juno

He'd paled slightly at that, nodding eagerly in agreement. He certainly did not want to be giving any of the soldiers ideas about him. He supposed it didn't matter much, though, Anselm would do with him as he pleased.

His stomach lurched as their mostly-smooth flight suddenly became steeper, though, and the slave found himself staring at the ground racing up to meet them. Strangely enough, it wasn't scary. A small thrill even raced through him, eliciting a small gasp of wonder from him just before the dragon touched ground once more.

There was no scream this time, just a small squeak when he was jolted on his seat. It was over so quickly, though, and Dane released his grip on the saddle to give Bane a gentle, if shaky pat on the shoulder. "Thank you," he murmured to the beast, rubbing at his scales in appreciation for not being tossed around though he wasn't even sure if he liked such a thing.

"Thank you for not letting me fall," he added for Verik, offering a small smile over his shoulder.

DragonSong

Bane rumbled in response to the thanks, crouching to allow his passengers easier access to the ground.

Verik blinked, then nodded jerkily. "Well, yeah. I told you I wouldn't, remember?" he said with a quick little grin before jumping to the ground and reaching a hand back up to help Dane down.

Juno

His cheeks flushed slightly for the reminder. He hadn't exactly expected the man to keep his word... But he had, hadn't he? Whether by accident or not that had to be a good sign.

Accepting his help he slid down off the dragon's back with a small grunt at his landing. He wiped his hands along his shirt for the mild sting along his palms gripping the saddle had left him with and turned his head to look up at the massive creature in awe before looking Verik in the eye with a grateful smile. "You know...that really wasn't so bad," he admitted, adjusting his small pack to secure it over his shoulder.

DragonSong

The soldier smirked as he moved to untether the packs from the back of the saddle. “You see? We’ll make a dragonrider of you yet,” he grunted as he pulled the heavy load down. Nodding toward a copse of trees not far from their landing spot, he added, “The post is just over there. Help me carry some of this?”

Juno

Dane could only laugh and shake his head at that. It seemed crazy to him to ever think he might be free to make such a choice, but it seemed even more so that someday he might want to.

The younger man was eager to help and be useful, though, reaching out to take whatever he could carry and turning to set off towards the trees. "Can I ask how long we'll be here? A day or two?"

DragonSong

“Yeah, just about.” Verik set off with him, Bane and their supplies in tow. “Some of the border posts have little huts cots and stuff for the soldiers to sleep in. Unfortunately, this border isn’t checked as regularly, so we’re gonna make do with tents and bedrolls.”

Juno

Dane nodded along in understanding as Verik explained about the outposts. He was very used to bedding down in whatever was offered to him, though his thoughts caught on one particular detail. "Tent..s?" he asked warily, having fully expected the soldier would take advantage of having a slave available to him despite what he'd said about Anselm before.

"You didn't, um...want me in your bed?" It was direct, but there wasn't really any other way to go about asking.

DragonSong

Verik nearly tripped, eyes going wide as he choked on his own words. "Y-you-- I-- wha--?!"

Bane snorted, jerking his head back as he looked between the two humans, rather taken off guard but not as bumbling as his rider.

"No," Verik finally managed to stammer out, very red in the face. "No no. No no no. I mean-- look, no offense or anything-- I mean it's not-- It wouldn't be right. Not that I would even if it was-- fuck no, that's not what I mean, you're plenty attractive-- Oh gods."

Unable to meet Dane's eyes, he thrust a smaller bundle of supplies at the younger man. "Here, this is your tent. Set it up wherever you want, if you need help just ask." He quickly backpedaled, eyes fixed on his shoes.

Juno

Dane's bright eyes widened in surprise at Verik's answer, more so for how vehemently he rejected it. For a moment he was terrified he might have deeply insulted the man with his question for the way he'd said it wouldn't be right, but then...he'd called him attractive. That didn't make any sense.

He took the bundle of tent materials in mild shock, ducking his head and blushing fiercely behind the shield of his unkempt, dirty hair as he muttered a quiet, "Sorry," and shuffled off to find a good spot. It felt odd to know that Verik was exercising at least some sort of restraint, though he supposed he should have been happy and counting his blessings that this man was being kind to him.

Dane knelt on the ground to slowly start working on getting his tent built in a clear patch with some branches overhead for cover at night and shade come morning. Even as he worked quietly, though, he kept lifting his eyes to cautiously watch Bane and Verik getting themselves settled.

DragonSong

Verik's blush refused to die down, but he tried to keep businesslike as he set up his own tent and started marking out a perimeter. Bane yawned and curled himself up around the outside of Verik's tent, letting his head pillow on his front paws.

He rumbled softly at Dane, almost questioning, and tilted his head to the side as he observed him curiously.

Juno

The slave met the dragon's eye, curious for the sound and glancing to watch Verik work for a moment. Perhaps he hadn't heard him? Seeing that the creature was still studying him, though, he figured it had been some sort of attempt at communication.

He smiled and gave a shy little shrug as he finished setting up his own tent. One by one he carefully moved his own bag and the ones Verik had saddled him with inside his little shelter before finally setting out a thin bedroll to cushion against the grass and twigs. Once he'd finished and stepped back outside, though, he crossed the space between his tent and Bane to sit down next to the dragon's paws.

He wasn't even entirely sure he'd been wanted so close, but he got settled with his legs pulled close against his chest and rested his cheek on his knees to stare the dragon down with a openly curious look on his face.

DragonSong

Bane huffed a small chuckle as Dane approached, raising his head slightly and whuffing a breath toward the small human.

Verik finally lifted his attention to see the two of them and tilted his head, one eyebrow quirked. Huh. Bane didn't usually warm up to people that quickly...

Obviously curious, the green drake lowered his head a little closer to Dane and nudged his shoulder, sniffing at him.

Juno

It felt a bit strange to be poked and prodded by such a large creature but he likened it a large dog being curious again in his mind despite understanding that Bane was much more intelligent than the furry animals. He wouldn't voice that, though, his lips pressing into a line as he tried not to laugh for all the sniffing.

"Sorry, I know... I need a bath," he winced, lifting a hand slowly to press his palm to the dragon's muzzle and rub gently along his scales.