Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not Quite What Was Planned [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, May 27, 2018, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

It should have been just like any other day. Dominik was getting low on coin again so he'd set out for what should have been a quick hunt in the forests near the town he'd been staying in. A thick fog had rolled in off the river overnight and settled low on the ground as the sun had yet to break through the overcast grey of the sky above, but it was nothing he couldn't handle.

His luck had been quite good anyway. He'd picked up a couple of rabbits quickly, and one would eventually be his dinner, but he was holding out for something a bit bigger to sell. Perched up high in a tree, Dom crouched low over the branch beneath his feet. His bow remained relaxed in his hands, an arrow already nocked and ready to draw at the first hint of prey.

Though his limbs remained motionless his sharp eyes scanned the brush below, peering out into the fog in hopes of catching sight of some movement there. It had been a few days since he'd last taken to the skies, being so close to a human settlement, and his wings ached to stretch beneath his shirt as the rest of him was so still. They fluttered gently against his back in his restlessness but it wasn't anything like the real thing and never once did he let them peek out. Even without watchful eyes upon him he felt compelled to keep them folded against the curve of his back. It was just safer that way, kept questions to a minimum, and it was a habit of comfort after so many years of hiding in plain sight.

DragonSong

It had been years since he'd walked these forests, and never as a wolf. Liam lifted his head and scented the air, basking in the strange-familiarity of his home now seen and heard through new eyes and ears.

A foreign scent caught his attention suddenly and he paused, cocking his head to the side as he sniffed again.

Human? Odd. Nobody back home really bothered to hunt these woods. They were considered to be too dangerous by most. Wary now, he slunk low to the ground as he crept forward, eyes flickering about uncertainly.

Juno

Dominik didn't see the slow, stalking rise and fall of the wolf's shoulders until the creature was nearly upon his tree. The fog was like a blanket over his fur, molding nearly perfectly with Liam's movements. As the glow of his eyes cut through the mist his silhouette came into sudden, sharp focus and the hunter's eyes widened in surprise. He hadn't expected anything to actually sneak up on him, never mind such a large predator.

Not knowing the woods himself he'd expected lucking out would be a deer or a fox. He wasn't even sure if he could handle dragging a wolf back to town, but he would certainly try if he could nab him.

With the beast almost directly under the tree he couldn't quite aim for the chest as much as he would have liked. Instead he took aim at the shoulder as he drew back on his bow and let the arrow fly with a faint whistling. Weakening the beast would be enough for him, the knife at his belt would be enough to slit his throat. Then it would only be a matter of figuring out how to carry it.

DragonSong

Liam heard the twang of the bowstring and the whistle of the arrow an instant before he managed to spin in an attempt to dodge out of the way. The bolt still struck, but it grazed off his shoulder rather than lodge in his flesh.

Yelping, he skidded on his paws and whipped back around toward where he'd come. Animal instinct threatened to override higher reasoning as he took off, racing down the familiar trails through the trees.

Juno

Shit.

How had he missed? The beast was smart, but he was surprised it turned tail and immediately ran. Perhaps it had been hunted before.

Sliding down from his perch Dominik snatched the arrow out of the ground where it had lodged itself and gave chase, though the wolf was certainly faster. His wings ached to break free but he shook off the impulse, hoping he wouldn't need such an unfair advantage to catch the beast.

With his form quickly fading through the fog Dom launched a few arrows out ahead towards the wolf, hoping he could goad the creature into a fight instead or land a lucky shot. If he had to, he'd chase it back to its den to corner it but he hoped he could avoid it leading him to any other wolves that might be nearby.

DragonSong

Liam yelped and skittered sideways, left and right, left and right, a constant zigzag as he tried to avoid the bolts fired toward him. He kept running, not entirely sure himself where he was going, moving almost entirely on instinct and flashes of memory.

He didn't realize where he was going until he burst through the trees, out into the stretch of valley that sloped down away from him toward a familiar cottage, fog swirling gently over the grass. He froze, eyes going wide.

Home.

Cara.

He couldn't go there. Not just because of how he'd left, but because he couldn't lead a potential danger to his sister's door. He hesitated, jerking his head from side to side as he tried to find a new escape route.

Juno

Dominik growled between gritted teeth, irritated that the beast was managing to dodge him so expertly. It was certainly a smart wolf and he gave a brief thought to stopping his chase and letting him go on his way. But it was just a thought, and he was certainly in too deep to give up on it. He could only hope it was tiring itself out.

The fog was less dense the further they ran from the river as he broke through the treeline and he could see the creature more clearly for it. He could also make out some sort of building, perhaps someone's home? Now that was odd, why would it be heading towards people? There was no way its den was so close to any of the human settlements, it must have been trying to lead him away.

When the wolf hesitated Dom seized the opportunity, drawing another arrow from his nearly-empty quiver and taking aim at his rump before letting it fly. If he could just slow him down enough to catch up it would all be over soon and he could be on his way with his kill without terrorizing the creature too much.

DragonSong

The arrow struck home and Liam howled in pain as the head burrowed deep into his right hip, lodging there.

The sound echoed down through the valley, and in her workshop Cara Teriyn's head snapped up, eyes going wide.

It couldn't be. That sounded like...

The wolf fought animal instinct, and finally some common sense won out. Gasping, he collapsed into human form, the shift forcing the arrow from his flesh, earning a pained whimper in the process. He gasped raggedly, crouched on all fours as his whole body shuddered with the after effects of the change.

A figure moved in the field ahead of him, streaking through the fading mist. Pale hair, flashing eyes, a telltale glimmer of silver and gold around her arms and neck.

No, stay away, not safe... Words weren't happening, his mind still half-wolf. He just shook his head desperately as his baby sister ran toward them.

Oh gods, it was, it was him. Liam.

"Liam!" Cara only caught a flash of the man behind him, the hunter, and instantly she realized what had happened. Magic gathering around her fingers, she shrieked, "Get away from him!" as she threw herself forward toward her brother.

Juno

This was certainly the most complicated hunt of his life. His chest swelled in his triumph at finally downing the beast. He'd shifted his bow to one hand and snatched his knife from his belt with the other, ready to slit Liam's throat as he approached him from the rear. But before he could put himself into motion the wolf was shifting into a man. The wolf was a man. How in the world had he managed to hunt down a werewolf?! And now a woman had come running out of the house in the distance yelling at him to go away.

How could he just leave at a time like this?! He just shot a man! There was fresh blood on the arrowhead resting beside him and every piece of him had the urge to go closer instead to offer his help to the man he'd accidentally hunted.

"Wait! No, no- Just- I didn't know he was a... A uh... Werewolf? I thought he was just an animal! Please let me help, I'm so sorry ma'am I had no idea!" he pleaded, dropping his bow and quickly sheathing his knife to hold his hands out empty hoping she wouldn't see him as a threat that way.

DragonSong

Cara narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth to shout at him some more-- maybe through a spell or two, she hadn't decided-- but Liam's weak grip on her arm stopped her.

"Not...his fault," he panted, eyes clenched shut and jaw set against the pain as he tried to sit up. "It's alright, Wynnie."

"Don't call me that," she snapped, switching her glare to her brother. Her brother she hadn't seen in years, her brother who'd left her.

Gods, if he wasn't already bleeding out, she might have shot him herself.

Gritting her teeth, she looked back to the hunter and snapped, "Grab his shoulders, we have to get him back to the cottage." Her eyes narrowed dangerously, and despite her tiny stature the air of ferocity that surrounded her made Liam's wolf shrink back instinctively.

Juno

Dominik flinched at her tone, but his boots remained firmly planted on the ground. Being so angry at an injured man... It left him wondering briefly if they were married and it was a normal occurrence for the wolfman to run off and get himself hurt. Despite the obvious, powerful anger rolling off her in waves, though, he still wanted to help and he was relieved when she finally gave her blessing through barking her orders at him.

He snatched his arrow from the grass and secured his bow across his back before crouching down beside Liam. "Sorry about that. And sorry about this," he murmured, wincing as he hoisted Liam up by his shoulders. Ducking under his arm and holding it over his own shoulder the hunter wrapped his other arm around his back to support him off his injured leg.

"Can you walk with me?" he asked, eyeing him apologetically. If it hadn't been so urgent he would have taken the time to unstrap from all his gear to carry him properly, but he could see the pain across his face and he didn't want to make him wait any longer after what he'd done to him.

DragonSong

Liam winced painfully, but nodded as the hunter helped him to his feet. "Yeah, I can walk--" His voice choked off in a pained yelp as he put weight on his injured leg.

Instantly Cara was at his side, supporting his other arm. She swore under her breath as she steadied him, still frowning. "Alright, take it easy. One step at a time," she coached, shuffling him carefully closer to the cottage.

It was gonna be a long walk.

Juno

Dominik winced at the man's cry of pain silently wondering how in the world he'd seriously gotten himself mixed up in hunting a werewolf of all creatures. He did his best to help support him, though, eyeing Cara warily as she came closer. She was being helpful, though, and he was grateful for the mindful pace she set where he probably would have been dragging Liam along as quickly as possible if he'd been left to the task alone.

The hunter was mostly quiet as he helped Liam along, having no idea what he could say to either of them to make the situation any better. He matched Cara's pace for them but felt the urge to be more helpful than he was. "I'll get the door," he offered sincerely. "Is there anything you have on hand I can fetch for him? Medicine, bandaging?"

DragonSong

Liam snorted. "Anything on hand," he chuckled. "Lad, you've no idea--"

"I think you've done quite enough," Cara snapped at the stranger, glowering as she helped her brother into a chair and whirled toward the door that led back into her work room. "Just-- make sure he doesn't move."

Without bothering to look at her brother, she added, "And don't you start getting smart. I'm still angry with you."

The werewolf winced and rubbed at the back of his neck sheepishly.

Juno

Dominik flinched at the sharpness of her words but did his best to help Liam get situated even though he probably wasn't needed. With Cara gone momentarily he felt a weight off his shoulder, though, and he was gradually relaxing and finally feeling exhausted after such a long adrenaline rush.

Slowly he unstrapped and untied all his hunting gear from his body and set it in a neat pile in the corner of the room. He eyed Liam apologetically, unsure how he could make his situation right. Why was this Wynnie woman -his wife? An estranged friend? Perhaps sister?- so angry with him anyway? He wanted to ask, but it didn't seem appropriate to question the private matters of a man he'd just injured.

His wing feathers rustled quietly against each other as he pulled them flat to mold against his back under his shirt. Turning to step closer to Liam again Dom awkwardly set an apologetic hand at his shoulder as he pulled up a chair to sit next to him. "I'm so sorry about this, I really don't hunt your people. I never wanted to hurt anyone," he told him sincerely, letting his hand slip away and crossing his arms over his belly.

DragonSong

"Hey, don't worry about it." Liam tried to give him an easy grin that came out as more of a pained grimace. "Honestly, I wasn't thinking too straight. If I had been, I'd have changed back the minute you shot at me. Could've avoided this whole thing." He huffed and rolled his eyes, obviously irritated with himself.

Juno

That he was forgiven so easily... An unconscious tension through his back was released, so relieved the man didn't seem eager to hold a grudge or pout over his injury. Though he wasn't a shifter of any sort himself he felt at ease in knowing he hadn't gained his ire, not yet at least.

"I should still make it up to you. Do you and your, um...wife need anything? Help around here or errands maybe? I should stick around until you're feeling better," he suggested with a shrug, glancing towards the doorway Cara had disappeared through.

DragonSong

Cara, coming back into the room with an armload of bandaging and disinfectant salve, nearly dropped her bundle, eyes going wide. Liam blinked, then gagged and shook his head quickly.

"Wife?" They both exclaimed, looking positively ill.

"Oh gods. No. No no no no no." Cara shook her head repeatedly, while the werewolf hurriedly added, "Sister, she's my sister, my little sister, gods!"

Juno

Well that was certainly the wrong guess.

Dominik's cheeks went crimson, eyes wide as he looked between them in a moment of panic before dropping his face into his hands with a self-deprecating chuckle. "I'm so sorry, I figured it was probably one or the other."

DragonSong

"No it's-- I guess it's fine." Face still screwed up in distaste, Cara readjusted her grip on her supplies and moved forward to kneel in front of Liam. "Alright, shirt off. Lemme see the wound. And you."

Without looking, she thrust a tangled handful of linen wrappings at their guest. "Get these smoothed out so I can put salve on them. If you can manage without shooting somebody else."

"Winnie." Liam frowned at her softly as he pulled his shirt of with a wince. "He's a hunter. He thought I was a wolf. It's not his fault--"

"You hush." His sister tossed his shirt into the corner with more force than was strictly necessary, glowering. "And don't call me Winnie."