Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not Quite What Was Planned [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, May 27, 2018, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Dom flinched at her venom, lifting his head to arch a questioning brow at her rubbing in on his mistake. Okay, he'd shot her brother but it was established it'd been an accident.

His mouth drew up into a tense line but he swallowed back an argument and took the linens from her to do as he'd been instructed to help her and Liam in turn. "Why don't you like it? The name," he blurted out as he worked, eyeing her warily as he wondered if he was once again stepping into a snake pit with her.

DragonSong

Cara's shoulders tensed and Liam's eyes went wide.

Oh shit.

Poor kid was really gonna get it now. Over his sister's head, he mouthed a plaintive, Sorry.

"Oh, why don't I like it?" The young witch's voice was deceptively calm, almost sweet. "That's your question?"

"Cara, come on," Liam urged quietly. "He's just--"

"Don't you dare!" Cara's voice suddenly rose to a shriek and she shot to her feet. "You know what? He can treat your wound!" She threw her bundle of supplies at Dominik, snarling. "And then he can ask all the questions he wants and you can answer. And then I want you out of my goddamn house!!"

"Caronwyn, please--!"

"Please? PLEASE?!" She was crying now, though she either didn't notice or didn't care. "You don't get to-- you don't-- how dare you--"

With a choked, screaming sort of sob, she whirled on her heel and disappeared back into the workroom, slamming the door. The sound of muffled, desolate weeping trickled forlornly through the wood into the main room.

Liam, very pale and looking near tears himself now, sighed and turned carefully to hold a hand out to Dominik. "I'm...sorry. If you just give me that stuff, you can leave. I can...take care of myself."

Juno

Dominik arched a questioning brow for Liam's gesturing, entirely confused until her wave of rage -or hurt, it seemed?- was upon him and smacking him right across the face. He sat stunned as things fell and clattered to the floor around him, not even bothering to try to catch them as he watched her, completely gobsmacked as she dissolved into a shrieking mess of tears.

He didn't even flinch at the slamming of the door, but he slowly tilted his head to look down at the linens in his hands when Liam spoke. "No, I... I want to help. I'm sorry...didn't mean to upset her," he muttered, rising from his chair to scoop up the rest of the dropped supplies. "Let me get you patched up."

DragonSong

Liam blinked, then sighed and nodded slightly. "Thanks," he murmured, twisting slightly so the hunter could better see the wound at his hip. He had to work his breeches down slightly, which was less than comfortable, but seemed necessary.

"I, uh...I'm sorry about...all this," he said quietly after several long moments.

Juno

Dominik crouched beside him to examine the wound, a sharp pang of guilt tugging in his chest to see what he'd done to him. He had to focus on helping Liam, though, not feeling sorry for himself.

As gently as he could he cleaned his wound before clumsily applying Cara's salve to the linens. He bandaged Liam as best he could, carefully looping the fabric over his lap to tie off at his good hip. "How does that feel?" he asked, worried he hadn't been careful enough with him.

DragonSong

Liam did his best to hold still, but he'd always been a bit of a self-admitted baby when it came to medical care. He hissed and clenched his eyes shut, but forced a smile for the hunter when he was done.

"Yeah, that's better," he said with a soft sigh of relief. "Thanks."

Despite his best efforts to be friendly, his eyes kept flicking toward the door Cara had disappeared behind. They couldn't hear her crying anymore-- in fact, it was almost eerily silent.

Juno

A small smile of relief twitched at his lips, but Dominik still felt terrible guilt as he looked upon the bandaging and then glanced at the silent door Cara had disappeared through. Gathering up the leftover supplies in his arms he eyed Liam in silent question for a moment before making up his mind and stepping towards it on his own.

He would just poke inside quickly, set everything down and out of the way for her on whatever table or bench was closest to the door and let her be if she would not be out again.

DragonSong

The werewolf watched him approach the door warily, but when Cara made no noise from the workroom he shrugged and gave the hunter a helpless sort of look. He had no idea what his sister was going to do.

Juno

Dominik didn't hesitate at the door, gently pushing inside and wincing at the low creak of the floorboards as he stepped through. "Um, miss? Just wanted to give these back to you..."

DragonSong

Cara had curled herself into a ball on her workbench, a small puff of white fur tucked into her lap. She sniffed and raised her head when she heard the hunter enter, eyes red and tears still marking her face.

She rubbed at her eyes and gestured listlessly to the work table. “Just leave them there.”

The ball of fur in her lap raised her head and twitched a tiny black nose at Dominick. Cara sighed and patted her familiar absently. “...Is he okay?”

Juno

He couldn't help but frown, troubled by her appearance even though he'd already known she'd been crying before. His eyes kept flickering to the creature on her lap as he carefully laid down the remainder of her things with purposeful care and gentleness.

"Yes, I think so. Patched him up as well as I could... It's deep though, " he warned her with an apologetic wince. "Really should be changed every day, keep an eye out for infection and all that."

His wings itched with the strong urge to fidget in his idleness. It was rare for him to be near others with nothing already on-hand to keep himself occupied. "Listen, I'm... I'm sorry about all this, I didn't mean to upset you," he apologized sincerely, taking a slow step closer to her.

DragonSong

Cara sighed she shook her head slowly. "It's not you. Really."

Millie chattered at her in concern as her voice dropped and she smiled sanely, stroking the mink. "And I, ah...I'm sorry I yelled at you," she mumbled after a few moments." She blinked, then laughed tiredly and shook her head. "Gods, I don't even know your name."

Juno

He startled slightly for the sound coming from her...pet. At least it seemed tame, he didn't need any more excitement that day.

Nodding in understanding, his lips quirking into a gentle smile for her apology. Perhaps there was hope for things being smoothed over between them. The hunter's eyes widened at her reminder, though, realizing she was right.

He rushed to step closer, holding out his hand to offer to her awkwardly. Was it even wise to shake her hand? He half-wondered if she might shock or burn him if they touched at all the way she'd nearly attacked him earlier. "It's Dominik. Dom, if you like. Ah, Morzae, but the name doesn't mean much," he assured her with a nervous chuckle.

With all the names he'd heard Liam call her by he wasn't even sure what he should assume about her own name. Except that it wasn't Winnie. "What should I call you?"

DragonSong

"My name is Caronwyn Teiryn," she murmured after a long moment, staring at his hand. Slowly, she reached out and took it, shaking slightly. "Cara, usually."

She sighed and got to her feet, wiping at her eyes again. "That's Millie," she added with a small gesture toward the mink that had scurried up to perch on her shoulder.

Juno

"Cara," he tried with a small smile, feeling much better to have managed a proper introduction with the girl who'd burst into tears only a short while ago. "Oh, I'm... Hi Millie," he stumbled, giving a small wave to the white mink. He felt a little guilty in doing so, though, he was certain he'd hunted the small creatures in the past.

"Were you going to come back out? Or...I can tell him you don't want to see him if you'd rather," he offered, uncertain of the strength of their relationship as siblings since she'd been upset at Liam's arrival.

DragonSong

"I..." She stared at the door for a long moment, scowling. "Just...give me a minute. Here. Take him this though, could you?"

She turned to grab something off the table, then twisted again to hold it out to him. It appeared to be a cup of some sort of tea, fragrant and gently steaming.

Juno

"Oh, um... sure. Sure will," he agreed, taking her proffered cup and holding it carefully in his hands. It was warm to the touch but not so badly that he might burn if he didn't hand it off immediately.

"I'll just...be out there, then," he told her, bowing his head slightly since he had no free hand to gesture with. Turning to carefully shoulder his way back through the door to face Liam he crossed the room and gingerly held the cup out to him.

"Your sister wanted you to have this," he offered. "Oh and... I'm sorry I didn't say sooner with everything... My name's Dominik, but you can call me Dom if that's easier."

DragonSong

Liam looked up, then took the cup with a small smile. “Thanks, Dom.” He eyed the concoction warily, snuffed it, pulled a face, then downed it in one gulp.

“Eugh!” He spluttered and put the cup aside. “Gods. I knew she wasn’t gonna put any honey in it. Fucking bitter.”

Juno

Dominik winced at the way Liam struggled, plopping himself down to sit beside him again and rest his head on folded arms against the table while peeking at him sidelong. "Medicine?" he guessed, hoping her regular teas weren't that bitter.

DragonSong

The werewolf nodded and sat back with a sigh. "Painkillers too, if that taste is anything to go by," he sighed. He could already feel the medicine working, loosening his muscles and fogging his mind. "She...say anything?" he asked after a moment.