Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Cold Water [SDB]

Started by Lowen Thorn, June 11, 2018, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@SDB - Dragon Lord

"Stop!"

The grey sky was restless that day in Ketra. The thick black clouds were weighted down by the onslaught of rain pelting the cobble-stone streets, and each echoing boom of thunder was louder than the last. It wasn't just rain, it was a downpour. Not only that, it was the perfect disguise to slip out of the limelight.

Only some stupid piece of shit would mess with him. That's what Ipsen thought as his feet slapped through the collected puddles while making his escape. He had no choice but to kill the bastard, and he picked up a bit of coin in the process. 'Gods damn mouth breather,' was his thought as he turned the corner.

He almost made a mistake. Sure, someone had found the body, but they didn't see him. Not really, anyway. They saw the shadow of a man who turned heel and ran, and that's all that they would ever see. He held his dagger to his side as he sprinted at a formidable speed through every twist and turn, letting the rain clean the blood of the man whose throat he just cut. By the time he got himself to a safe spot, the storm would have washed away all evidence down the storm drains. It was perfect.

A playful little smile spread across his face as he passed a tavern, and he stomped his right foot in front of him to bring his run to a sudden stop. Hide in plain sight? Why not? The man could use a drink anyway. Out of the cold water and into the warm room of twirling smoke and booze-soaked air.

The crowd was lively with energy and their conversations competed with one another with rising volume. He found a table tucked away in the corner and ordered an ale, his clothes dripping remnants of outside onto the old wooden floor. As he took the first savory sip, he closed his eyes.

---

Lowen awoke in the middle of a rather loud bar with a glass of some sort of alcohol in his hand. His eyes looked at the beverage that rested in his palm before scanning his surroundings wearily. Now just how did this happen?

Shit.

He lost the time again.

Celegwen

Mischief by... Oh, who really cared, anyway? It was one of her favorite books, evident from the wear on the pages. Her books were in the best condition possible, as she held knowledge in such high regard, but it was impossible to keep a constantly read series in perfect condition.

Melissa Apocrita relaxed for the night in her sitting room on the black hammock that took the place of a sofa. One knee was bent upward, while her other leg touched the floor, ensuring the gentle sway kept its rhythm. The book she was reading by candlelight was a true story of someone committing a crime and getting caught, written by the criminal. He was an idiot. Every time Melissa picked up the book, she found herself more and more entertained by picking out everything he did wrong.

The sounds of trotting hooves and the thud of a dismount drew her attention, though she didn't look up from the book in her hands. "You don't need to knock, Spider," she said, voice slightly elevated.

Her door opened, and Teryn walked in wearing a look of confusion. "Should I even-"

"Ask?" She finished, only moving her eyes to glance in his direction. "No." Melissa swung her legs to one side of the hammock and sat up finally, closing the book and placing it on the table behind her. "It's a hike from your house, so why are you here?"

"Your target," the man started. "Mitch Hytes. You know, the one I gave you four days ago to take care of?" He was met with only her typical dry stare. "Goldie just saw someone cut his throat in an alleyway. What happened?"

The woman shrugged, exhaling slowly. "I didn't kill him. I've been messing with him, little seeds of paranoia. You know how I hunt, so what're you bringing this to me for? Just because someone else clearly wanted him dead more than his lover isn't my concern."

"I never told you-"

Melissa groaned in annoyance, standing up heavily, like there were weights attached to her whole body. She slumped, trudging in a small circle. "Spider, Spider, Spider!" She whined. "If you would stop listening and just remember one damn thing! Of course it was his lover who came to us! Found out he was sleeping around, and in a moment of heartache, hiring an assassin. Basic psychology." She stopped her little display of immaturity and rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. "I'll take care of who did it, now scurry back to your hole."

When Teryn left, Melissa slipped on her boots and daggers, then tied her black scarf around her hips and thighs, hiding the weapons. She thought about bringing her belt satchel and armor, but decided that the likelihood of needing her rock bombs was pretty low in that situation. The candle flame went out with a quick puff, and the woman hurried out the back door. Tacking her grey dapple stallion, Melissa tore out of the field towards the center of town.

She could've waited until morning - that would've been the normal thing to do - but there was no way she was going to let the goody-two-shoes gryphon rider one-up her. First stop, Teryn's tavern, The Black Candle.

Lowen Thorn

'How could this happen again?'

Lowen sat quietly at the corner table, his eyes no longer focused on the roaring crowd but rather trailing to the floor in thought. He wasn't entirely sure he should even take a sip of the glass of ale that sat atop the wooden surface in front of him. 'I should just go home.'

Now that was a funny thought.

Lowen didn't have a home. And, by the looks and feel of his soaked clothing, conditions for seeking out shelter weren't exactly ideal. No, he may as well make the best of what he had at that moment. Placing his fingertips atop his forehead, he let out an exasperated breath and mustered a shrug. Fuck it.

Giving in, he grabbed the drink from the table and turned it upside down, letting the contents slide down the back of his throat in one smooth motion. He almost choked as he placed it firmly back on the surface. Pretty damn good was his initial thought as a tingle of satisfaction melted into his cheeks.

"Another, ser?"

Lowen glanced up to see a barmaid standing before him, a light smile curled into her lips.

Well. She was quite pretty.

"Oh, um," he started, clearing his through and nodding. "Y-Yes ma'am. Thanks."

The woman's light smile didn't flinch as she nodded and headed off to fetch his order.

Celegwen

Melissa pulled back on the horse's reigns, hazel eyes shifting, observing everything in the vicinity as a wild animal would during a hunt. She dismounted outside of the tavern, loosely tying the reigns to the wooden hitching rail and walking through the door.

The bar's atmosphere was one everyone knew of, blackout drapes covering the windows and candles creating a mysterious and alluring ambience of comfort and anonymity. Soft music played in the background, something that most people wouldn't even notice unless it was to stop. All of the bar staff spoke softly and dressed in black and white, just a little detail to enhance the experience of the unique tavern.

The assassin walked in and was greeted with warm smiles, as she was regular at the tavern - not that anyone truly knew who she was. "Hi, Melissa," one of the barmaids, Lucille, hummed with a grin, as she walked past with a glass of ale in her hand.

Melissa approached the bar, flashing a well-rehearsed smile at the woman behind the counter. "Hi, Pat," she said. "The usual."

"Comin' up, sweetie," the older woman said, pouring Melissa a warm mug of chamomile tea with a drop of honey. "What brings you in tonight? Seems a little late for you."

The black-clad woman chuckled lightly, taking a sip with a shrug. "Actually, I'm looking into something, and I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. Anyone new come in lately?" This was kind of a rhetorical question, but she did want an answer. In truth, Melissa recognized every single person in that tavern, except the man at the corner table.

"Just the young man in the corner," Pat said, confirming her suspicions. "You lookin' to meet someone?"

As if, Melissa thought, taking a sip with a light grin. "Perhaps," she lied, glancing over at the man. "Send him a drink on me."

Lowen Thorn

It wasn't long before the lovely barmaid brought him his second drink of the night, and he soon found himself sipping on it rather frequently. He was never much of a drinker, but it tasted good and it calmed the nerves. Growing a bit tired of his constant black outs, he decided he may as well enjoy himself while he still could.

..Now what was the last thing he could remember?

He had just arrived in Ketra a few days ago and had just enough money to put himself up at a relatively small Inn while he looked for more work, and that's where he met a man on his way out. What was his name?

...Mitch. That's right. He met a man named Mitch, and that's as far as he could remember.

'What in all hells?' he thought as he took another swig of the ale.

He hadn't even finished swallowing his next sip, glass half-full, when another drink was set on his corner table. He placed his own beverage down while gulping down the remnants of booze in his mouth before shooting the woman a skeptical look. "I already have a drink, ma'am," he spoke in mild confusion.

'I a-already h-have a drink, ma'am,' a different voice mocked from the depths of Lowen's consciousness, too distant for him to even register.

The barmaid smirked and motioned over her shoulder. "This one is from the woman at the bar."

Lowen scanned the bar until his eyes rested on the woman in question. "O-Oh," he said, clearing his throat. "Thank you."

Trying to make eye contact with her, he smiled softly, nodded, and shakily held the new glass into the air as if to toast the woman - and looking like a nervous fool in the process.

Celegwen

If she had one skill - don't get confused, she has more skills than most would dream of having - it would be the ability to know people. Not remember their names or anything insignificant like that, but understand and read them, learn and predict behaviors. That's what happens when you're a dragon among sheep. Moreover, you begin to smell other dragons.

This man, despite the shaky, unsure pile of emotions he appeared to be, was a dragon.

Of course that didn't mean she would approach like a dragon. When you're on top of the food chain, you have to learn to blend in with your prey.

Melissa smirked at Pat, then stood and started over towards the man in the corner. "Hi," she said sweetly. Her emotions and expressions had been rehearsed to perfection. "I haven't seen you around here before." The woman pulled out a chair, making herself welcome at his table. "My name's Melissa. What's yours?"

Lowen Thorn

'Oh my gods, she's actually talking to me.'

Lowen sat up straight, or tried to, because he didn't know if he had been slouching prior or not. A pretty girl was at his table and all logical thought and sense had just been tossed out of the window. Taking a another nervous sip of his ale, he let his breathing calm - though apparent through the movements of his chest - before answering. "I'm Lowen Thorn," he finally replied while offering a small smile. "I've only been in town for a couple of days. This is my first time here."

'You're pathetic, Lowen.'

'I wonder what she could want...'

'I-I w-w-w-wonder what she c-could want. Cryin' out loud Lowen! Stop thinkin' with yer head and think with yer dick for once, you little girl! Be a man for fuck's sake.'

"Ahem," Lowen cleared his throat once more. "Are you from around here?"

Celegwen

"Just passing through this time," Melissa lied without hesitance. "I'm on my way back to Hyoite from visiting a friend in Zantaric."

She studied him with ease, curious as to what his angle was. It wasn't often that she came across another true predator. Teryn thought himself to be one, but he had too much of a soft side when it came to people he cared about. This encounter was a treat for the assassin.

The woman sipped at her tea - she never drank anything alcoholic - and smiled again. "So, what brings you here?"

Lowen Thorn

'She's lying to you.'

"O-Oh, right. I'm a traveler," he explained. "Right now I'm just searching for a place to lay my head for more than a couple of nights and I ended up here." He took another swig of the ale before adding, "Though how I ended up at this place is the real question."

His last sentence was accompanied with a small chuckle, but was quickly interrupted by a sharp pain in the back of his head. "Aaahh," he seethed, dropping his face down and placing a hand atop his scalp. He remained in this position for several moments before peaking at her through his fingers with the slightest wince in his expression. "Sorry," he said. "Headache. I'm not much of a drinker."

Of course it was a lie. Drinking gave him headaches the morning after, but not during. Still, this happened from time to time and he never knew why, so he never really knew how to explain it. "D-Do you live in Hyoite, then?"

Celegwen

Something's not adding up, she thought to herself. He should've revealed something by now...

Seeing the man's brief episode, Melissa momentarily dropped her 'nice girl' act and slipped her hand into her right boot, pulling out a thin vile of clear liquid. She pulled off the top of the vile and emptied half into her tea and the other half into his drink, not caring to be precise. Just as quickly, she shoved the vile into her boot again and brought her innocent persona back.

"Hey," she said softly, putting her hand gently on his shoulder with a tender gaze in her eyes. "I do, but that doesn't matter." She pushed her tea towards him. "I'm sorry I sent you another drink, then. Here, have a sip. It's tea, an instant fix."

The assassin gave no indication of eagerness or anything like that, but just trying to convey that she 'genuinely' cared for his well-being. The vile contained a little concoction she had been working on for years made primarily from datura. She had the only supply, as well as the only antidote - not that she needed it, since she immunized herself little by little ever since she started making the drug.

On its own, it was addictive, toxic, and could cause hallucinations for hours. With her alterations, a single drop of the drug induced hallucinations that lasted for days and were terrifying enough to stop someone's heart...and she poured half a vile in both drinks.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen tried for a smile and gladly accepted the tea. Sure, he really didn't think it would do him any good for his every now and again surprise headache, but it wouldn't hurt either. And she was just so nice he couldn't help but oblige!

"Thank you, Melissa," he said with a nod, finding it hard to keep eye contact with her from the nerves and embarassment.

Taking the glass, he eased down a gulp of the tea, and then one more for good measure. Brows lifting slowly, he pushed it across the wooden surface to his table guest and let out a sigh of relief. "You know," he started, surprise and speculation in his eyes, "I'm actually feeling much.. ha ha.. b-better.. ha ha.."

It didn't take long for the sensation to hit him, and when it did, it hit him square in the face. His entire body felt like it was moving in waves, both heavy and light at the same time, and he felt just so damn happy. So happy that everything was so funny! So funny that he could barely stand it!

It started with a mere chuckle, but it developed quickly into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. "Ha ha ha!" he held his gut as he laughed, his stomach tigthening and growing sore just as soon as it began. "Gods!" he said through the laughter. "What'd you put in that tea?!"

Try as he might, he couldn't subdue the laughter until...

"Look out!" he cried as the walls started spinning and crashing down all around them. He quickly found himself curled up under the table, unaware of the mutliple stares, pointing fingers, and laughs at his expense.

Celegwen

Melissa stopped the act, signaling to the women in the tavern to keep people away. The Black Candle employees didn't know who she truly was, but everyone knew she had a life shrouded in mystery, so when she gave an order, people snapped to it.

She whipped her chair away from the table and crouched on the floor next to Lowen with her normal stare. "I know you can hear me," she said monotonously, making sure her voice stayed stable. "You've just ingested a highly toxic hallucinogen."

Reaching into her left boot, the assassin pulled out another vile of clear liquid and held it up. His fidgeting started to get tedious, so she grabbed him by the throat and stared into him.

"Stop this," Melissa said dryly. "You're making a scene, and I work quietly. Listen to what I have to say. See this?" She made sure the vile was in his line of sight. "This is the antitoxin to what you just drank. Without this, you're going to die in a little more than forty-five seconds. Here's the fun part..."

Melissa let go of him and backed away a few steps, standing up. She tossed the vile up and caught it with a grin.

"You can get it one of two ways. Tell me why you killed Mitch Hytes, or fight me for your life."

Lowen Thorn

Just what the hells was going on?

He could barely concentrate on what the woman was saying, yet heard her perfectly clear. The walls were shifting around, the floor and the ceiling frequently trading places, and yet everyone seemed to be perfectly content with it.

And then it hit him.

Fear.

His chest started heaving in and out, and his breathing grew more rapid with every passing second. He could feel the sweat flooding down the sides of his face, and everyone in the world was against him. His legs felt paralyzed on the ground, and he felt as if he were going to stay this way forever.

You're going to die in a little more than forty-five seconds.

He must of heard her say that at least forty-five times. Kill Mitch Hytes?! Lowen had never killed anyone in his life!

"It's going to take longer than forty-five seconds to tell you that story," Lowen managed to say through some miraculous feat.

He hoped that worked, because he had no idea what she was talking about.

Celegwen

"Then you'll die," she said simply with a lazy shrug. "It's no inconvenience to me." Giving a small smirk, Melissa held the vile out, swinging it slightly between her fingers. "Thirty seconds, Lowen."

Lowen Thorn

Thirty seconds, Lowen.

Oh shit. Oh fuck! He was going to die today. For fucking what?! Being nice to a stranger?! How could this day possibly get any worse?! How was he suppose to answer her? He felt as if he had lost the ability to speak. The only options he had were tell her the truth - that he didn't know what she was talking about, accept a duel with her in which he would surely lose, or lie some more.

Being in the wrong state of mind for such a negotiation, he chose to lie.

"I killed him because... I killed him because.. " he muttered over and over again, unaware that he wasn't giving her any type of information that may save his life. "I killed him because.."

And then, for a moment, something changed. Lowen's multi-colored eyes flashed black as coal, and the frightened look in his expression turned cold. Without warning, his arm shot up and he grabbed the vile, his hand connected with hers as he stared her down.

"Give him the vile, bitch," he hissed before his eyes faded back to their normal state, leaving Lowen once again in disarray.

"I don't know what to tell you! Please!"

Celegwen

Possessed, the woman thought to herself, seeing the eye color change. No. Then it hit her. This man had more than one personality. She had read about the occurrence, but never saw it in person.

With hardly five seconds remaining, Melissa opened the vile and handed it over to him, kneeling next to the man with intrigue evident in her almost golden eyes.

She smirked at him, folding her hands in front of her with her elbows resting on her knees. "And the dragon has awoken," she hummed with satisfaction.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen didn't waste any time in chugging down the contents of the vile, and he immediately felt the overwhelming sensation of dread release from his bones. His eyes focused, and he tried to calm his breathing as he glanced around at the tavern full of curious and entertained onlookers.

As he returned to a relatively calm state, he looked at the woman before him. Melissa. Who was she exactly? He sure as shit wasn't going to stick around any longer to find out.

"S-Stay away from me," he whispered harshly. Within a matter of seconds, he was on his feet and rushing through the door.

Celegwen

Melissa smirked, watching him make a dash for the tavern door. Teryn had a rule about not causing a scene at his establishments, but the assassin didn't really care too much for the gang leader's little preferences, especially when disobeying got her the person she was after. Besides, she didn't have anything to worry about.

Standing up, she strolled after at a casual speed, winking at the woman behind the bar.

Outside, the man would practically run into a large figure covered in pure white feathers. The gryphon stood at an intimidating nine feet and had piercing red eyes, the right one with a foggy tint to it. Next to him stood a golden-eyed elf woman with her arms crossed and a slightly arrogant smile.

"Where are you running off to?" She asked.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen wasn't ready for the second encounter, and lunged to the hard ground after attempting to stop himself in front of the woman and the gryphon. He hissed as his shoulder slapped the cobbled road before rolling over to peak up at them. "Get me out of here," he winced, trying to get up to his feet. "There's a woman after me," his voice was pleading as he shot a look behind him. "She tried to poison me!"

Getting back to his feet, he looked back at the woman with fear in his eyes. "Please," he whispered, practically begging as panic trembled from his lips.

Celegwen

Goldie looked at him with slight confusion. "That wouldn't happen to be-" She stopped when she saw the dead eyes and all black outfit of her comrade. "Hi, Wasp!" She chirped. "Is he yours?"

Melissa kept her mouth shut, slowly nodding. She might've been a good assassin, but she didn't feel like going up against a trained spy and her gryphon friend. "Moth, stay out of it," she said.

"I would, really, but I don't want to." The elf woman jumped onto the gryphon's back, who extended his large wings, then reached a hand out to the man with a grin. "Come on, buddy. I'll give you a ride." Glancing up at Melissa, Goldie gave her a sly wink before returning her smile to the man in a panic.