Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Yu's Wants & Limits

Started by Yu, June 12, 2018, 07:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yu

YU'S WANTS

What are your favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?

An absolutely killer plot for me is probably one about a tiny group going against insurmountable odds. Characters with a lot of flaws who are out of their comfort zones, or struggling against some inner demons really appeal to me. Dark fantasy and horror feel like the best genres for these sorts of plots but, even out of that genre, any sort of story involving character conflict and development is interesting if well executed! I'm also a big fan of simply exploring a day in the life of a new character, or experimenting stuff I've never tried writing before.

As for relationships? Depending on the character, friends may be more difficult to make than enemies. Romance could mean a one night stand in a single thread or a writing the equivalent of a novel together. It'd probably be best to communicate what you're looking for if you have something specific in mind.

What are your least favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?

There is very little I'll turn down outright. If I have to say something, I guess the least interesting subject for me to write about is probably a military-focused campaign. Fantasy armies don't seem to get me hooked as easily as a more individual-focused, psychological experience does. So if you're planning a big war epic, I'm probably not the first person to consider writing that with.

Relationships-wise there's nothing I'd be completely opposed to either. To nitpick, it's hard to play really close characters without suitable build-up first. So sometimes it's another challenge to play siblings/family with another player if they're not estranged or distant in some way.

What are your favorite character types to play?

Villains and neutral leaning folks. Heroes with many flaws, perhaps easy to corrupt. I also love grabbing side characters and fleshing them out, or trying ideas I think are fresh! I love characters with realistic problems despite living in a whimsical world. But I try my hardest to keep my character numbers low unless I know for a fact that I need to try writing somebody new. It takes me ages to create a new character that I'm certain I can continue playing as for a long time.

But they're all weirdos to me so it's worth it. ; )

Are you a planner or a pantser? Do you prefer to pre-plan and stick to a script when posting, or do you prefer to surprise and be surprised?

Both! It depends on the story. Are we just throwing our characters into an encounter to see how they'll fit or do we have a goal for where this interaction should go? I like to be flexible about the personal part of roleplaying, so that my partner or group is free to decide. And I can adapt pretty well, at least I like to think so.

Some planning is good, especially for more complex relationships to foster, but surprise is appreciated when it can be done. Having set scripts can be really rigid, so the mix just flows better.

How do you feel about group threads?

They're okay. I do prefer smaller groups over giant ones. Needs a posting order for the latter or else I'm gonna get drowned quick.

How often can you reply to any given thread? How long should a partner wait before nudging you for a post?

Post-length kind of controls how often I post. I try to reply at least once per day, during free time. But I can't guarantee I can make threads every day. Nudge me after a couple days and hopefully I can get back to you, if at least to clarify what's going on? For large groups, if I really can't find time to post, I might request to skip me that round.

What is the longest you're willing to wait for a reply to a thread?

Probably a week before nudging default. A few weeks with no activity and I've probably gotten the hint by then. But I'll be sure to check the Wants & Limits for my partner to know how often they're okay with bumping!

While on the subject, I'm not a fan of disappearing acts. I understand people lose muse writing sometimes, but please notify me if you're not really feeling it anymore. I can work with that and close the topic without worrying if you wanted to continue.

How do you feel about instant messenger RP?

It's fun and real-time! But definitely think my writing suffers being so fast-paced. Yet, it is really cool to just sit down with somebody and type back and forth in-character. Sometimes I just want to go go go and in that case, instant messaging rp just works.

I actually used to play an online game that was set up like this in a public room. You had physical characters to run around with and people would encounter each other very easily and openly.

Ho do you feel about post volleying/rapidfire RP?

Works sometimes, but I do take a bit of time to write, around a half hour when I'm really trying to be hasty. So maybe keep that in mind? I'm open to it, just not sure if I'll be able to execute it.

What's your preferred posting style? Long posts? Short posts? Anything and everything?

Anything that works in the scene. That's why dialogue might only take me a half hour to write as opposed to a starter. I don't mind short posts in certain circumstances. The only exception I make to that are one-liners. My shorter posts are usually around two paragraphs, while longer posts may become really lengthy if there is a lot to do in that particular scene.

When I was younger I used to be enamored with purple prose. I'm trying to cut down on that, so if I do slip up from time to time, let me know?

Any RP styles/habits that you love?

Communication being key, both complex and open plots, and just a general sense of fun. Third-person writing style is kind of a must, posting order if it's working within a group, and the partner(s) being open to letting me know if they aren't feeling like writing this thread anymore. Flowing, progressing stories that don't dwell for too long or become stagnant. Characters that have flaws and are not perfect, but don't feel bland as a counter.

These are the rp traits I look for when I roleplay with somebody!

Any RP styles/habits that you avoid?

Metagaming, god-modding and infinite dodging abilities during combat are basic. I also try to avoid making NPCs real flat. A bartender might chat with a patron and if you yell in the library you'll get shushed. An NPC bandit is not going to go down in one punch, so I try to avoid fights where there are droves of NPC enemies being mowed down.

First-person or the dreaded second-person writing style is not my forte and I don't write it unless I absolutely have to. Sending a letter in first-person is no problem but I can't take a full thread in that style.

YU'S LIMITS

What are you limits regarding powerplay/godmoding?

It's not my cup of tea. I dislike powerplaying in any form unless explicitly given permission. I've had some really bad encounters in the past with people who do this. Best to try to avoid it as much as possible.

With minor things like hugs or passive movements it's a lot less of an issue, but in combat it is dire that we have equal footing for our characters. It doesn't matter how powerful the opponent is. If you're unsure what might fly under the radar just ask.

What are your limits in regards to romantic situations?

Setting out with the goal for chemistry to happen between characters can result in something stilted or forced. So I try not to go for pre-plot romances. After a thread between characters, if a partner expresses interest in them being intimate and I approve, then yeah that's fine. Of course there are exceptions for characters who are in arranged marriages.

In-character rejection is also cool too. That might even happen naturally if I don't feel like my character is going to approve right off the bat. Triangles that happen in an organic, fun to write way are good to me too. Drama like that does happen sometimes.

As for age differences, I only ship characters who are consensual adults. Both have to be of adult age to express that consent, which in my head are 18+. Occasionally, if I play a teenager, then they might hook up with another teen, but it'll be strictly platonic at least until they're adults. As an adult myself, I feel uncomfortable writing anything more.

What are your limits with regards to graphic content such as sex, violence, drug use, sexual assault, etc? What is your comfort level?

Violence, drug use, sex and other adult content are typically anything goes. Just let me know if you're writing a mature thread in advance. Being realistic about it is all I ask. I'm not a fan of writing these topics for the shock value. They need suitable build-up as with anything.

What are your limits in regards to pregnancy within plots?

Pregnancy is an 'eh' subject for me. If it's not too detailed, I can write it in passing. I really dislike doing birthing scenes though. Just a bit uncomfortable going there, unless there's a very good reason for that scene happening.

Miscarriages and losses have the same idea. Writing the reactions of the characters involved is fine.

What about healing?

Much like powerplaying, I'd like to give explicit permission beforehand. Minor wounds are probably going to be a-okay to heal, but a character who's been written as having a disability may be less likely to suddenly be changed.

What about characters being transformed against their will?

Similar to the above. Temporary magic spells are usually fun, but I'd be happier to at least get a heads up beforehand. Anything permanent would be pre-planned or it's a no go.

Anything else?

If you're interested in starting a thread, let me just say that I look forward to roleplaying with you! Thanks for reading!