Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Green-Glow Gems [quaggan]

Started by SkyBlade, June 19, 2018, 07:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyBlade

It was under the smile of the day light that Xhadaronn decided to further enjoy his stay in Adela with a visit in nature.
"The Draconi Forest might not only be grand and alive, but it should also banish boredom, as it houses so many beasts..." he thought to himself.
What he knew not was that the day held the beginning of something grander than just the dissolvement of boredom.

Right in the arms of the first row of arbors there could be seen an old, thorn letter attached to one of the trees. Curiously, Xhad checked the piece of paper, written in a rather peculiar or archaic form of Common:

~The Green-Glow Gems are jewels nowhere to be found on grassland,
They hide beyond hellish creatures, mud, dust, and sand,
Far, far away from the safety of a town!
He who may find them deserves the golden crown.
Formed in a different realm, out of the flames of gods' rage,
The stones may be the cure to cleanse souls of black plagues.

The first bash which may put an end to the pursuit
Is a creature of great might, by no one understood...
For the bane of storms it is, brother to the tangible,
Forever to the wind's smite infrangible!

The bridge of illusions will next follow.
Where eyes may see wood, there might be hollow.
Thus, under thy legs it could always shatter.
Accuracy and precision shall there most matter,
For it is beasts of flaming speed and fury that guard the place,
Size shall trick the unwise who lacks subtlety and grace!

The mental cage ought to be the next storm on the way,
Before the ones daring to continue shall see the light ray!
In the lush, rich, and grand forest where they have themselves thrown,
There shall be seen the cave above which roots have grown.
The stones that no elf, troll or human eye has met,
Lie within the lap of the journey's greatest threat.
Ergo, dare you enter the den, bring the virtue of utmost care with you,
Lest you join the bones building up the cave's queue...~

There was also, written with minuscule letters, a note that said "Go North".

What Xhad read had made him curious and, without hesitation, he entered the forest, trying to find out where that adventure ought to have begun.
"Curing the black plagues of the soul... the stones should have healing properties. I would say they absorb the negative energy around, letting the light flow. I would be interested to have a look at them! After all, I would reject not an incoming adventure!"

Very soon, he reached a clearing in the forest. There was a noise coming from somewhere close, but what was it?
"Nothing but forest sounds. Maybe a herd of deer somewhere."

Just as he finished the thought, his eyes widened, seeing a pack of wolves approaching.
"I suppose they are out for hunting..."
In an instant, he created two spheres of wind in both his hands. He then folded his palms, uniting the orbs into a single great one. Xhad then released the power of the spell, the globe slowly melting out of his hands, going in the direction of the wolves. A mini-tornado formed in front of the beasts, yet it was a temporary solution, since their number was growing. It was most likely several packs that joined, and shortly Xhadaronn was circled.

He could not use the most powerful spells, as it would have probably caused chaos to the forest itself, thus he decided to stick with attacks that kept balance between strength and co-lateral damage.
Even so, the difficulty of keeping every wolf at a distance was growing as seconds passed.

quaggan

"... point anyway?"

Alvaro slowed his steps to fall behind and join the rearguard. He couldn't quite make out what Eladio was saying, but it looked like he had questions. The lad was a new addition to the squad, here to replace Valerio after the old archer's injury caused the higher-ups to send him back to his family. One conversation with his previous commander was enough to learn that the boy had little combat experience and probably didn't know what was going on. Optimally, Alvaro would prefer to keep him in training rather than immediately thrusting the new recruit into battle, but they received their orders only a few hours later.

"I mean, why is Command sending us into that cave?" Eladio continued. "We're soldiers, not spelunkers."

"The cave has guardians" Alvaro pointed out.

"Sir!" Eladio exclaimed, immediately springing at attention. He almost crashed into the soldier walking next to him, the poor guy.

"At ease, Eladio. There's no need to stand at attention whenever I talk - just imagine it happening in the middle of a battle! I give an order, then you stand straight, make a target out of yourself..."

"You better unlearn this habit fast, kid" Hector suggested. "Otherwise our dear Commander will have to invent more stories like that. Please don't strain his imagination."

"As for why we're going here... I assume the lord sent us because whatever's in the cave is guarded well enough that he needs us soldiers to get it."

Eladio pouted. "I joined the army to fight, not to play fetch" he commented. "I mean, no offense, sir! I'll follow your orders!"

"We will probably fight whatever is inside anyway" Alvaro pointed out. A part of him sympathized with the boy's desire for glory.

"Quiet" Hector suddenly hissed, raising his hand up. The other soldiers immediately cut the chatter - the old veteran's senses were sharper than anyone else's. Alvaro focused, his hand immediately going to his spear. As his fingers closed around the wooden shaft, Hector spoke up again. "I hear fighting - to our four o'clock."

"Draw your weapons and assume formation" Alvaro commanded. There was no use trying to keep quiet - they weren't a stealth squad, and sneaking through the forest in full armour was doomed to begin with. His unit began to move, falling into familiar patterns. Soon they got close enough to hear what Hector already did - scuffling of the forest floor, clashing of claws and fangs, and-

"Spirits!" Eladio shouted as a flying light crashed through the forest and hit the tree next to him. The other soldiers immediately brought up their shields in anticipation of the next attack. The vanguard reached the site of battle and quickly took in the situation. Someone in a black cloak was fighting a pack of wolves. His fighting style looked very foreign, but that was no excuse to leave him - they were soldiers, it was their duty to keep this place safe.

Alvaro didn't even need to shout orders - the other soldiers were so used to their tactics that they immediately began acting. Hector drew his bow, taking a few steps back to aim better. Ignacio leaped forward, banging his sword against his shield to draw the wolves' attention. The others would probably keep Eladio from getting hurt. Alvaro drew his spear, taking a step to the left - he needed space.

SkyBlade

The soul of a fiery will for glory could be seen in the eyes of every single one of them.
As Xhadaronn prepared to slash yet another wolf coming near, he realised fortune was with him, as it was in the last of seconds that he noticed the leap of another beast behind. He dodged and got away with a scratch on his left arm, managing to apply a last stab with his dagger before reaching a certain distance from the animal.

The sounds of metal clanging and heavy steps began to be more and more pronounced, and soon Xhad could spot a whole squad of soldiers coming near. Though he had never met him, Xhad could strongly presume from the attitude of a true leader that it was Alvaro leading the team of soldiers.
He felt relieved that the battle was now no more disproportionate... or at least less so.

The traits of the men betrayed their ethnicity, and Xhadaronn was happy it was Adelans he met: they should be more familiar with the forest. Maybe it would make the quest even more exciting if he had a few journey fellows... though he did know Adelans would perhaps not have been the most willing to join someone so inclined towards magic.

"I ought not to make assumptions until I know not whom I have met."

The moment he saw the bows and spears being prepared, as well as all the moves and gestures that betrayed an incoming attack, Xhad knew a plan would be executed.
Meanwhile, he continued his own attacks.
Xhadaronn immediately gathered his energy.
"Maybe I could help out a little!" he shouted, as he understood Eladio should've been kept from getting hurt. Therefore, Xhad attempted to add an extra enchantment for security on him.
A sphere of wind would grow around him, one he could easily step out of, but anyone willing to hurt would be hurled away.

Next, he applied a mini spell to the trees that were in his direction, behind the wolves, at the end of the clearing. The spell was supposed to create a barrier, though quite thin, as to protect the nature from the damage that would come. Xhad had no choice: he needed a stronger spell!

"If the shield does not defend the trees entirely, it shall at least absorb some of the damage..." he said, and proceeded to cast a wave of air that took the shape of a thin but incredibly long blade, seemingly slashing space itself. The blow not only physically cut and wounded the wolves, but managed to throw them at quite a distance, right into the spell-barrier.

The trees Xhad tried to defend were not hit, yet somewhat shaken. However, the resistance of the shield dangerously matched the amount of damage it took. Since it succeeded at the very limit, it faded immediately when the beasts and the wind blade last struck it.
"That was a close call..." he thought.

Though the number was still considerable, at least the space on the field was a little larger.

"It brings great joy to have a little help against the fangs of such devils!" he said with a smile. "Though I believe the quest I am on holds greater surprises." Xhad continued, unaware that he shared the same scope with the squad.

quaggan

Alvaro took one blow on his shield, immediately pushing back. Ignacio's sword impaled it before the wolf could recover. The commander took a step back to assess the battlefield, as something whizzed in front of him. A quick glance thrown around the clearing was enough to recognize that all the beasts were eliminated. If any other creature were to join in, it probably would have already, so it should be fine to consider the battle over and-

Eladio's scream drew his attention. He fell back into a combat stance and glanced towards the new recruit. The boy was standing deadly still, as if he was afraid to either breathe, surrounded by shimmering air. "I've been cursed!" he wailed, his gaze focused on the stranger who just before has been flinging spells around. The other soldiers' demeanour shifted immediately, post-battle cheer replaced with suspicion.

"Stand down" Alvaro commanded. He only had those few minutes of battle to back up his hunch, but it was enough. The state of the battlefield was all the evidence he needed - the trees lost some leaves and all the grass underfoot was crushed - nothing greater than what one might expect from a fight of more mundane proportions. He didn't know anything about magic, but he knew about discipline and proper use of one's skill - something that the gifted stranger must have known to apply as well.

He turned his attention back to the root of this whole problem. "Can you take it down?" he asked, quickly phrasing his concern in the form of a request. The stranger wasn't a man under his command - he didn't even look Adelan - Alvaro had no grounds to simply give him an order. And the question would account better for all the other possibilities.

SkyBlade

The end of the battle brought relief as well, aside from the sense of glory and the joy Xhad had always found in movement and action. The half-spectre turned to the squad of soldiers, taking his hood off.
When he saw the dread in the eyes of Eladio, Xhad also immediately felt the suspicion in the air. He did have a feeling that doubt and mistrust would probably be present if he cast that spell, but the paranoia and shock of the soldier were not expected.

"I apologise. It was meant to secure defense, rather than to evoke the spirits of fear and terror." having said this, he raised his hand in the air, and with a repeated gesture consisting of bringing his thumb to his palm, followed by a finger snap, he watched the wind-shield dissolving fast in the air.

"It should have hurt none but the ones of which the intentions were to attack thee. Certain charms may guess the thoughts of men, you know?" Xhad said, trying to calm him.

"My name is Xhadaronn. Xhadaronn Yasé. But most call me Xhad. I would be glad to know thy names." he paused, studying the soldiers for a few brief seconds, trying his best not to seem rude. He just needed to know more about the people he met - not out of suspicion, but of curiosity and enthusiasm.

He was pleased to see the unity of a team.

"I mean not to meddle, but a whole squad of soldiers, fully equipped - I see, occupying a high rank -, with their presence in some woods like these, ought to be on a mission of utmost importance. Is it a quest for glory? Or perhaps with the scope of removing the woe of boredom? Hmm... has the place grown more dangerous as of late? Maybe the king himself has sent you to complete the task?"

quaggan

The shield dissipated at but a signal from a stranger. Eladio was still suspicious, unwilling to budge. "What if it's a trap?" he asked. "What if it's still there, but we can't see it?"

"Unlikely" Alvaro countered. "If... Xhad here could - and wanted to - kill you like this, he could have just done it from the start, rather than using something so complicated." He didn't know anything about magic, but he supposed even this was subject to efficiency.

Hector picked up a twig from the ground and carefully poked Eladio's cheek with it. "Well, nothing seems to be in the way. Looks like you're free, lad."

The boy finally gathered the courage to take a step forward, releasing a breath of relief. That problem solved, the commander turned his attention back to the stranger. There was at least one request he could fulfill: introductions were simple business, especially now that the fight was over. "I'm Alvaro Narvaes, commander of this squad." He left it to his men to proceed, and soon, some began volunteering their own names.

The other question wasn't something he should answer immediately. As he was pondering the situation, Ignacio stepped forward. "I believe I can help with that" he began, putting this silver tongue of his to good use. Alvaro gave him a suspicious glance. Hopefully he wasn't about to do something everyone would later regret. The commander prepared himself to interrupt him, should there be a need.

"Actually, we're here for both business and pleasure - our business, the pleasure of our lord" Ignacio began in a friendly, conversational tone, as if he was entertaining a noble at a party. "That's the life of a soldier, I'm afraid. And what brings you here, good sir? Were you trying to find something impressive to kill and show off to a lady? If so, I hope you brought a skilled taxidermist - there is very few ladies open-minded enough to appreciate a rotting, decaying corpse..."

SkyBlade

Xhad felt relieved and joyful that the panic caused by the barrier was now gone, and that Eladio came to realise there was no actual threat.

"Looks like a friendly chap!" he thought to himself, ignoring the fact that the boy was clearly a new member of the squad, choosing to view the positive in the rather juvenile personality which he had seen in him that far.

If Eladio reflected the spirit of a beginner, Alvaro was visibly the opposite. The seriousness in him; the way he talked - firmly, no more than needed and with wary, careful choice of words; his occasional suspicious looks; the prudent expression on his face... they all betrayed the presence of a leader.
Thus, Xhad was not surprised when it was finally confirmed that it was him that commanded the squad.

The friendly tone and unexpected wording of the other man talking brought a smile on Xhad's face.
"I see you are a rather witty soul, Ignacio!" he said, after a chuckle. "It is true! Gory corpses are seldom to be appreciated - especially by a spirit dwelling in the physique of a graceful and supple feminine being. Though I am afraid that is not what I am here for."

Seeing the initial hesitation of the team and the refusal to reveal completely the true essence and ultimate scope of their quest, Xhadaronn decided to respect their choice and insist not.

However, he himself had nothing against being open about his path; after all, he did not have a country to defend, a king to serve, a team to lead, and all the other responsibilities that a man working in the military must have had.

He stopped, returning to the comfort that his usual manner of wearing the clothes brought him: he put his hood back on his head.

"It is but probable that not many common people around are familiar with the rare jewels known as the 'Green-Glow Gems'. I know not the age of it and the individual that made it public, but I was in fortune to spot a letter at the very entrance of the Draconi forest that spake of the gems. Though it seemed rather odd to have the instructions right at one's finger tips like that, I realised even the paper itself emitted strong vibrations. Presuming it was authentic, I decided to embark on the journey to find these precious stones that can supposedly purge the blackened magic around, knowing that - existing or not - I would at least have the privilege of joining another adventure, attempting to find these presumed jewels."

He paused, looking around the clearing.

"... and all the menaces which were spoken of in the letter started with one cardinal direction: north. That was the initial course of mine, but I see even the very beginning of all this has been interrupted by the unforeseeable threats this location harbours."

quaggan

The stranger surely was friendly, Alvaro reflected. Xhad's grasp of the language was admirable, and although his words could sometimes sound strange, it was clearly an effect of personal quirk, rather than any identifiable mistakes.

"Paper? Oh, that paper" Ignacio sighed, immediately taking initiative. "Sorry to disappoint you lad, but there's nothing to it, really. A stupid nephew of mine set it out to trick gullible sops. He even got his sister to enchant it in order to make it more believable. Sorry."

"Ignacio" Alvaro called. "As much as I appreciate your dedication to our mission, this isn't who we are. We are Adelans - our weapons are honour and might, not deception and treachery. We will be the ones who procure the gems for our lord - not because we cheated our way there, but because of our strength. We are capable enough without the need for deceit. We don't need it."

He turned to face Xhad. "Our lord sent us to retrieve what was in the cave - probably the gems you speak of. As you provided us with information about your target, I will repay this debt by stating our intentions clearly and being forthright with you."

SkyBlade

What Ignacio said about the letter Xhad had found diminished his enthusiasm a little at first. But the initial thoughts of doubt were instantly replaced by the voice of intuition.
It seemed a little forced to be completely real, he thought. And the small, subtle signs of a slightly unnatural speech were something the half-spirit could sense.
The vigilance of the soldiers could have also been an explanation as to why they would make up such things. They could not allow just anybody to reach something so rare, something that the king of Adela himself intended to possess, for that matter...

He was pleased to hear the words of Alvaro, not only because they confirmed his assumptions, but also because the strong awareness of the team's identity lied within them. He clearly knew and reminded the squad of the faith they should have in their natural forces.

Xhadaronn was also glad to find out that they all aimed at the same thing. He could not know whether it would be all right if he joined them, but it was worth to try.

"Since we clearly are after the very same matter, should not we join forces? The first obstacle of all is 'the bane of storms, brother to the tangible, forever to the wind's smite infrangible'. I cannot say for sure, for 'storms' may be interpreted in multiple manners, but the creature which is going to be met is undoubtedly immune to a sort of less... physical attack."

He tried to stay open to the meaning of the lines, as he knew they might have meant something different than what the surface told.

quaggan

"So, you can only use wind magic" Hector concluded. He didn't looked too relieved - the old veteran probably remembered the power of Xhad's magic, and that he was actually holding back in order to protect nature. Narrow specialisation wasn't a disadvantage when someone wielded his ability so well.

"Team up, you say?" Ignacio challenged, not phased in the slightest by his lie being called out. "And what proof would we have that you wouldn't either stab us in the back, or discard us as soon as this rhyming beast is down?"

"Can you do some kind of a magic oath? Like something that cannot be broken?" Eladio suggested.

SkyBlade

"The blow of the wind may indeed have a great range and, if used properly, might sometimes be devastating... but it is true I mainly rely on hurricanes and its siblings to aid. Diversification, unfortunately, aside of minor enchantments and a particularly special spell, is not common for me..." he confessed.

Xhad carefully listened to Ignacio.

"He is right... they do have reasons to anticipate this." the half-human thought when he heard the suspicions of the soldier.

"Since, as said, my magic skills are limited in many fields, I am afraid it is not possible to create a supernatural force that simply inhibits me or anybody to break a promise, or at least without consequences..." he responded to Eladio.

He paused a few seconds, looking downwards and placing his chin between his thumb and index finger.

"But... I suppose I could apply a sort of mirror-effect between us. I have recently come across an elixir in Serendipity that should suit the situation and last at least a few weeks..." he continued, looking back towards the squad.

"In summation, any harm or damage I would intentionally cause you would instantly be reflected back to me. Thus, even if I wanted to, I would not be able to slash or otherwise attack you because the injury would return to me... and the same is valid the other way." Xhad suggested, though he knew it was still possible to be interpreted as some sort of elaborate treachery.

"I believe I could prove this to you, but only if you allowed me to and if you should be willing to play the game of trust..."

quaggan

"I don't think this will be necessary" Alvaro pointed out. "It is enough that you're willing to take this step. I think that we can trust your sincerity in this matter."

Ignacio poked him to pull him aside. "Commander, he might be lying" he began. "Both about his capabilities, and about this elixir. It could be something completely different, or just coloured water with special effects."

Ah, Ignacio. It was open knowledge in the squad that Ignacio had political ambitions, and was trying to get military renown in order to support his future career. This attitude made him very suspicious of everything and cautious of any ruse or deception. He was a valuable ally when trying to unveil enemy strategy, but could get frustrating.

"That's exactly why, Ignacio" Alvaro explained. "We have no way of finding out, and if you just said it openly, he would know that we know." Fight fire with fire, and fight circular politician logic with more circular political logic. "Moreover, if we're operating under the assumption that he lied about his capabilities, and we know his magic has to do with air and wind... sound is just a vibration in the air, he could be listening on right now."

Ignacio paled and clamped a hand over his mouth. Well, that should keep him quiet for now. Alvaro turned back to Xhad. "We're ready to move out. Shall we?"

"I think I know where to go from here" Eladio offered. "I studied the map before we left - and this large stone was marked on it, I think."

"Oh right, the Gradane Rock" Hector grinned. "We usually like to mess with new recruits and say it was pooped by a dragon with digestive problems."

SkyBlade

"Fantastic! Then I think we could--" Xhad began, but decided to pause, seeing the other soldier pulling Alvaro aside. If they need to discuss the matter, let them discuss.

It was quite normal to presume that they - or at least some of them - did not have complete trust, therefore Xhad patiently waited to find out what would happen.

In this time he took a few more seconds to dive into thoughts, his face clearly looking into the void, while also lightly rubbing his jasper necklace with his thumb and index finger. Every now and then he would look around the squad, studying the other soldiers, giving them a smile.

All of a sudden, Xhad saw Ignacio with his hand brought to his mouth and with widened eyes. He did not have much time for wondering what happened, as he proceeded to listen to the commander.

"Great!" he said with a wide smile, pleased that everything worked out well. "North is a very general direction... maybe if--" he began, but stopped as he heard Eladio speaking. "Lovely! I am glad there is a specific place we know of!"

Xhad chuckled when he found out about the jokes surrounding the rock and looked at Eladio.
He proceeded to follow the team after unsheathing his short sword.

"Hmm... they seem rather serious. May I start talking to them?... or perhaps this should be too irritating..." he thought to himself. "Well, one cannot find out unless trying!" he continued, immediately beginning the talk.

"So... what is thine opinion on Inverted Waterfalls? I think they are perfect for finally experiencing the domination of gravity! Though I haven't had the chance of trying one so far." he said, while playing with a small glimmer of light he spawned in his palm which he kept gliding between his fingers.

"Very well... probably not the best subject for people in the military, but it seemed interesting to me..." Xhad immediately thought after speaking, before lightly squeezing the small, glowing sphere which finally dissipated.

"Does anyone of you have experience with a crossbow? I personally am terrible at it. The last time I tried, the arrow ended up breaking into two when I finally managed to shoot... I still don't know to this day how." he said with a light embarrassment combined with a short laugh.

quaggan

The soldiers took the change of subject with relief. Ignacio remained tight-lipped, so the burden of conversation fell to Alvaro and Hector. "Ah yes, crossbows" the old veteran nodded. "They're really impressive, especially since with age, my ability to draw a bow fails, as does my strength. Those heavy crossbows with a winch allow me to bypass this problem - all I need now is to aim properly, and my eyes, thankfully, have not been affected by age!"

"Tell him about the ogre" Alvaro suggested.

"Oh, right! Once we had a mission to the north border. Our guide was an ogre from a nearby village. We got pinned down during a skirmish, and the winch to my crossbow broke, so I couldn't reload it. Talk about bad luck! I couldn't provide cover fire with this... So the ogre just looks at it, nods and says 'Give me that'."

"You didn't!" Ignacio gasped in false outrage, apparently having found his voice. "Giving military property to civilians - and during a fight, no less? You should be demoted!"

"Yeah, yeah. You say it every time I tell this story" Hector sighed. "Anyway, I did. 'How could it hurt?' I thought. My weapon was already broken, after all. So I gave him the crossbow and he reloaded it with his bare hands, as easily as if it was child's toy. He handed it back to me and I shot, then gave it back for him. We made quite a nice team. I wish I had such strength - but I suppose if the spirits couldn't give me eternal youth, they sent me an ogre when I was in trouble. Worked out."

"I hope Hector isn't boring you" Alvaro commented, walking up to Xhad. "He loves telling his stories."

SkyBlade

"I knew it! Of course not all ogres are evil!" he exclaimed, as he heard the deeds of the giant from the veteran's story.

"Bore me?! I believe you like jokes, for this appears to be one." Xhad said when he heard Alvaro. "I love listening to stories, especially from adventurers that clearly have seen a lot in their lives. They are a treasure of experiences."

"Hmmm... spirits, eh?" he began to think, as he heard for the second time someone from the squad mentioning these entities. "Perchance I have found a common interest..." he thought, remembering the animistic beliefs of Adelans.

"Indeed. Sometimes the only thing one has to do is ask, and the invisible may help forthwith. But I am curious, has one of these spectres ever shown itself to you, Hector?"

He then proceeded to look downwards, waiting and preparing to listen to any reply with one ear, while getting back to his thinking in the meantime.
Ignacio seemed to be rather cold, maybe a discussion would cheer him up a bit. Or annoy him even more, that is also possible... eventually, Xhad decided not to insist, but what was certain is that he would maintain his friendly attitude, as he does with everyone. The existence of a closer friendship will be determined in time.

Afterwards, he just enjoyed the golden weather, while listening to his continuous thoughts. A few seconds passed, probably half a minute at most, and he already lost the connection entirely to the physical world. Time existed not, space dissipated in the same manner. He automatically did what he was doing before getting lost in thoughts, which was walking. Wherefore, he just kept going farther and farther, his eyes looking into the void. Eventually, Xhad knocked into a tree, this failing to awake him. He just stopped in one place, his balance half-lost. After equilibrium finally left him entirely, he fell on the ground, the hit eventually waking him up.

The look on his face seemed normal now, and he quickly got up, completely bewildered about what had just happened.

"Wooah... I did I think it again, apologies." he said, his words being proof of his dizziness.

quaggan

Hector began to recount the story of that one time he saw something that might have been a spirit, a ghost, or just a product of too much booze. Alvaro grinned at the situation - seems like the old veteran found the perfect listener to tell the tale of his life to, and Xhad... Xhad might be getting more than he bargained for, but he didn't seem to complain.

He sped up a little to reach the vanguard. Eladio was playing the guide, excited to be of use. Alvaro was content to leave it to him, but wanted the soldiers to be on their guard. He probably could ask Xhad to keep aware as well, but if the stranger said that his air magic didn't grant him any extra awareness, Ignacio would hear it. And nobody wanted that.

They were in the middle of Hector's epic about this time they were fighting alongside a dragonrider when Xhad walked into a tree - an act that elicited more than enough chuckle, and one muttered line about how he should apologize to the poor oak. Alvaro quietened them with a raised hand and walked up to the wizard to offer him a hand to pick him up. He couldn't exactly blame him - listening to Hector's stories made his mind wander as well.

"We should be getting close to the chasm" he pointed out. "Right, Eladio?"

The new recruit nodded enthusiastically.

SkyBlade

It was clear that the veteran was excited to finally be able to tell the story to somebody. The epic itself was obviously a long one, but that was not a problem. Though what Hector kept telling did seem fascinating to Xhad, the thinking incident could not be avoided and so he did not hear certain parts.

"Oh... that is but a strange happening that seems to occur from time to time to me. Stars are a great place to wander, you know? And thoughts may occasionally trap you among them. I just hope this won't happen during a fight."
He walked a few steps in pure silence, this time paying more attention to his surroundings.

"As for the epic, it was indeed a tale worth telling, though I am afraid it ought to be continued lat-" he said, when he suddenly saw a few rocks he had accidentally kicked, falling into an endless pit. The row of trees suddenly stopped, leaving only the sky and the sun smiling to them. At the bottom of the chasm, there seemed to be a wide river, though the mist that was plentiful in the abyss did not let this to be confirmed.

"-er... looks like our green friends are waiting for us on the other side." he said, referring to the trees.

But the chasm was not the problem. Just a while later, the ground started to quake and, as Xhad looked downwards, he could see the fog spreading and fading, as a huge mass of water began rising. The veil of water returned to its home and revealed the beast they were waiting for, at last.

The being was rather serpent-like, with its head resembling more a dragon. Its scale-armour was coloured in a brownish green, and its teeth seemed nearly two times the size of a banana. The thorough dimension of the creature itself was still a mystery, but it was clear it ought to have been greater than the chasm in height, and only the stars may have known how much of its body was still lying in the water...
It stopped, staring with its gleaming green eyes, which occasionally seemed to glow yellow. Was that a sign of attack? Or just one of concentration? That was the most trivial of their problems, though.

"I know, I know. It is, indeed, a lovely weather. Just look, there is not even a cloud on the sky. It is a crying shame that thou beest enraged by the scorching heat... a glass of water is a favour we should with ease and pleasure do for you, if--" he began in a joking tone, being interrupted by the sudden move of the serpent. It raised its head, looking skywards, stretching entirely. The length of its body seemed endless now and the end of the tail was finally visible, for it prepared to bash everything about.

Instinctively, Xhad made a fast move and suddenly jumped out of the way, though the effect of the snake's strike still remained: on his left, he saw maybe about ten trees falling in their direction. He proceeded to fold his palms and stayed that way for about a second, trying to gather his energy. Xhadaronn then tried to send a massive amount of wind in order to blow the trees backwards. Though the plan seemed to work, the weight of the trees could be easily seen and felt on their resisting moves, as they very slowly fell either in the opposite direction, sideways towards the forest, or sideways into the abyss.

"Very well! I presume you are not the talkative sort and you clearly were too lazy to do your hunting today!" he quickly said, and tried another spell. This time, around his left fist an almost transparent sphere started to materialise. He quickly flung it towards the snake, which burst into a relatively small-sized tornado upon touching it. All this air seemed to simply dance around the beast for a few seconds, leaving it untouched, gradually fading, until disappearing completely.

It was as if air dissipated into the air...

He tried his luck with another enchantment, sending thin slashes of wind which should have had an effect similar to the cutting of a knife. Seeing this doesn't work, Xhad created a small hurricane around himself and rushed towards the beast. This way, he tried to gain speed in his running so that the incoming attack would have a greater force, but any bash in any shape ended up being absorbed. He was now too close to the serpent though, and was pushed backwards with a brusque hit.

"'The bane of storms'..." he repeated to himself quietly, once he got up. "That's it! That's what the riddle referred to. Wind has no power over this monster!" he exclaimed.

He tried his favourite attack, the one in tune with the stars.
He closed his eyes, folded his palms, and waited. It was not the best place and time for being passive, but he had no choice. The waiting suddenly showed its purpose, as, after a few seconds, his body and clothes began to darken, the image of scattered stars and galaxies being visible all over this blackness. It was the night sky that he copied the appearance of, and soon all that was not black were his now whitely glowing eyes and the white creases on his clothes. It was in this state that Xhad could spawn small, pointy, throwing daggers in both his hands which were coloured in shades of dark purple, indigo, and violet, stars scattered everywhere on them as well. The daggers would do their piercing, stabbing or slashing, but because they were of mystic energy, they would dissipate once they had reached their target and had finished the job.

As he continuously threw them at the serpent, he realised the effect was not what he imagined.
As big as the creature was, it managed to dodge the knifes quite often. When he did hit his target though, Xhad saw the creature barely scratched. If the attack was more accurate and possessed a greater force, the creature would give out an enraged scream or intensify its constant growls. Thus, certain strikes were luckier and thoroughly successful, the knifes managing to penetrate the scales, but they were still not enough against a creature of such might and size. Even so, the spell's effect faded soon and Xhad returned to normal.

"It seems this fight is not exactly a feather in my cap!" he said with a quiet chuckle. He brought to the table his dagger as well, using it in combination with the sword, so that he could at least try to help the fight against the beast and not be entirely passive. Quite rarely, Xhad managed to add a stab, scratch or slash here and there, though with the mildest and most minour of effects, together with constant attempts in dodging the fangs of the monster.

quaggan

Tristan finally spoke up. Hector pumped his fist victoriously and almost skipped to Ignacio to collect his bet. Poor Ignacio, it looked like Xhad's appearance had only negative effects on him so far. Alvaro knew better not to make bets on Tristan's curiosity - he was shy and focused on observation, but the new arrival was far too interesting for him to just stay quiet and not ask any questions.

"You wandered around the stars? How? Is it this astral rejection thing? Do you have two bodies: one in the stars, one on earth? How do you pilot both at the same time? Is it a permanent feature or does it only happen occasionally, and if the latter, what triggered it? Or is it just a figure of speech, a saying among your people? What does it mean then and what is its origin? And what-"

The spirits decided to take mercy on both Xhad and the rest of the soldiers by the serpent's sudden appearance and awakening. "Battle formation!" Alvaro shouted, grabbing his spear. It was pretty much instinctual at this point. While some people would find it surprising that Adelan soldiers, so reverent towards the spirits and nature, would react to a possible manifestation with violence, but it was their way. Most spirits were as keen as they were on testing their skills in battle.

Xhad was already conjuring something. Alvaro decided not to get in his way - the stranger seemed to be quite adept in his bizarre fighting style, and he's already shown himself to be disciplined enough that there was no fear of friendly fire. Hector was already drawing his bow, while the rest of the soldiers fell into a defensive formation. Since the serpent originated from the chasm, it probably would be able to retreat there if damaged - they would have to strike true and fast.

Despite its size, the serpent was quick and easily dodged a few arrows loosed from Hector's bow and whatever wind Xhad was conjuring. That was a problem - they would need to pin it down in order to properly land a hit. At least they kept it on the defensive - it only got a few times to attack, and every time it had to stop and dodge, rather than risk coming into their range. It was playing defensively - but why? The beast's size and scales should keep it safe from puny humans.

Was it- Xhad's voice rang to confirm Alvaro's suspicion. This creature was the first trial mentioned in the message - the one the stranger was worried about facing. Well, if the note was accurate enough to be right about the immunity to wind, then they could probably trust that there were no other problems for them to face. It was to be a test of strength and valour, as simple and Adelan as anything could be.

The stranger was determined to fight on, even though most of his means were useless against this foe. Alvaro admired his spirit, if nothing else. "Stay back!" he called, waving him back behind the wall of shields.

SkyBlade

Why are the attacks so hesitant? The creature's fierceness would make one believe swallowing will be the first act when meeting, and the last his or her eyes would see. But still, there was something weird about the behaviour of the serpent.

While trying to interpose his attempts for attacking between the soldiers' and the monster's moves, Xhad heard the voice of Alvaro. It would not be bad to back away, he thought. "One ought to know when to give up or when to retreat. A living dog is better than a dead lion!"

He proceeded to dash backwards, behind the barrier of shields. At least he'll be able to fully see the soldiers fighting, something he had been very curious of.

"Hmm... even if I shall be devoid of useful offensive skills in this fight, perhaps there ought to be something I would be able to use so as to help them in the battle."

Immediately as he finished this thought, though, he could see a strike that managed to reach Hector. He lost his balance but his will and perseverance could be seen as he swiftly got up. Still, it was not the first occasion someone was misfortunate enough to endure the burden of a blow, as he had just now realised how Eladio was lying on the ground. He must have been attacked while Xhad was running away from the beast. But there was nothing he could do; except, well... repeat the unpleasant history. "I apologise, my friend..." he thought to himself, but then decided to shout it out loudly as well.

He conjured yet another globe of wind, similar to the one he had created when they first met. He proceeded to do the same with anyone that was hurt or he thought was more exposed to incoming attacks. Thus, Xhad thought it would be better to do the same with Hector, Tristan, and even Alvaro, as he was the very leader and heart of the team.

"I know not for certain how much damage the shield is able to endure, but it should rid thee of at least several future wounds. Though it seems this beast is not exactly of the offensive sort." he said, raising his voice so that he could be heard in the madness that was going on.

"There is something in thine eyes that I have seen within but quite few belonging to the reign of animals, particularly in the family of these fierce, monstrous kinds..." Xhadaronn thought. It was as if the creature was rather... self-aware - somehow.

"Its defense is soothly and veraciously developed. What if I could create a diversion to distract it so that a more effective bash could be executed while it is off guard?..." he murmured to himself. He would be happy if anyone heard his plan, as he would know if it shall be all right to try or not, but he felt time was not enough in a battle to discuss things, and so he mostly talked to himself.

In an instant, he jumped out of his thoughts, his judicious self being replaced by the rather hyper-active madness in him.

Xhad looked skywards, raised both his arms and started moving them slowly in circles, as if trying to blend something together with another. Seconds passed, and the clouds started lazily to move. Half a minute dashed behind the half-spirit's eyes and they began shifting. After two minutes, they started to gain different forms.

"Pay not attention to the above but to your own scope, lest you have the same fate this snake ought to!" he exclaimed in an attempt to warn the squad.

All the clouds began uniting into one, blocking the sun. Time started whispering the passing of ten minutes, and a certain grey gloominess became dominant above the place, soon the only light that feeded the trees being the one piercing the eyes and mouth of a skull in the skies. Sweat was flowing down Xhad's temple and forehead, tickling his chin, then his neck. Perspiration kept imitating its much older sibling: the waterfall.

Even so, after almost a quarter of an hour, the details of the skull drawn in the cloud canvas were remarkably realistic, and the scarce light gave an eerie atmosphere to the place, one similar to that which no being but a ghost could have crafted.
The serpent seemed to give constant glances at the sky, and as Xhad tiredly let his hands down, he saw the beast's attention towards the upper heavens growing, together with its restlessness. It began struggling to keep its focus on both the fight and the sudden change of environment.
It surely was receptive and aware, at least to an extent, since its eyes began to glimmer heavily with yellow, its tail struggling around in wrath. There was certainly a psychological impact on the beast, just the effect that Xhad wished to achieve. Though it was clear the feeling of doom caused by the clouds was but temporary, he was glad the attacks of the soldiers could now be more easily applied. Xhadaronn decided to give a hand himself, while he could still take the opportunity.

"Ignacio! I know this may not be of your liking, but I think it is a propitious moment for a particular sort of strike. Trust me! Simply do your part: be prepared, attack, and heed your equilibrium and stability! I shall take care of the rest." he shouted, and proceeded to send a swirling wave of wind that took the shape of a small hurricane by the time it reached Ignacio. That ought to propel him towards the beast and add more strength to the hit, but what he genuinely hoped is that the soldier had understood his sayings and that they would at least diminish the natural surprise one would have if pushed by a sudden wind. He also hoped Ignacio would recover his balance swiftly, but he trusted the ability of a soldier.

quaggan

There was little Alvaro could do against an enemy so fast that it could evade out of their range before anyone could strike. All he could do was to rely on Hector's bow, and remember this encounter for the future in order not to find himself in such situations. One advantage they had over the serpent was their numbers - while quantity couldn't always overcome quality, it was a boon, considering how defensive their enemy was being.

He didn't look back to see if Xhad followed his advice, but he didn't have to. So far, the stranger didn't appear to be particularly foolhardy or reckless, and was willing enough to rely on someone else's help. Alvaro focused on lunging at the enemy whenever it neared, hoping to draw it away from the others, but it was faster, attacking Hector and Eladio. The commander couldn't help but acknowledge the tactical advantage in the choice - the serpent struck the archer who was their greatest hope at actually damaging it, and the new recruit, the weakest link. They weren't dealing with some mindless beast, but something capable of at least some thought.

He felt the wind coalesce around him, but it wasn't some trick of the enemy. Xhad apparently chose to contribute to the fight by supporting the soldiers. As Alvaro advanced, he noticed the grass bending away by the force of the aerial armour. He couldn't tell how effective it would be, but he wouldn't refuse any help.

Xhad's comments wove themselves comfortably into the din of battle, audible enough if one should focus and pay extra attention. Perhaps the stranger used his magic on his voice, commanded the wind to carry his words as well. The brunt of Alvaro's focus was still on the battle, but he kept their new ally in mind. His strange ways might give him insight that the Adelan soldiers would miss.

Most of his comments went over the head of the soldiers, though Alvaro kept their eccentric companion in mind, and was willing to translate, should need arise - and soon it did. Eladio shouted in fear as the clouds above began to coalesce, drawing the attention of other fighters. The commander swore quietly - they really didn't need any more distraction!

"Don't get distracted! It's of no concern!" he yelled.

"What if lightning strikes us down? Would that be of concern then?" Ignacio called, frowning. Alvaro rolled his eyes. Ignacio was a good soldier, but he could be extremely petty.

"It would, but only then. Keep me apprised of any sudden lightning strikes" he ordered. Someone chuckled.

Alvaro's squad continued fighting while Xhad did his work. Time passed, and the commander began to seriously consider withdrawing. It didn't look like either wind magic or the force of arms was going to work - and those were the only means at their disposal. The best course seemed to be leaving and reporting to their lord, hoping that the information they provided would help him send a team better equipped to handle the serpent.

He was about to give the order to retreat when it appeared that Xhad was finished with whatever he needed a great skull cloud for. Although he could have chosen better than Ignacio. For a second, Alvaro feared that the prideful warrior might refuse just to spite the stranger, but one glare was enough to keep his mind on the enemy.

"What the- whoa!" he gasped, as the wind carried his advance forward. He almost stumbled into the chasm. Alvaro extended an arm to grab him when an idea sparked into his mind. The spell extended their reach considerably - and reach was exactly what they needed against this enemy.

"Tristan! Toss me Eladio's shield!" he shouted. The quiet soldier obeyed without a word, and Xhad supported his throw with a wave of wind to carry it to Alvaro's side. The commander grabbed it and turned his back to the chasm, kneeling down. "Ignacio, come! I'll boost you up!"

"For all the-" Ignacio's expression was something to be remembered. Alvaro prayed quietly that common sense and self-preservation wouldn't get in the way of his thirst for glory. Fortunately, it looked like the warrior trusted him enough to obey. Ignacio charged, leaping forward to land on Eladio's shield. The commander put all his strength into the push, tossing the soldier into the air and towards the enemy.

For a second, Alvaro feared that the serpent would withdraw into the chasm and Ignacio would follow, falling to his death. But his fears were unfounded - the soldier sailed forth on a fierce wind, landing at the enemy's head. With a battle cry, he stabbed his sword through the serpent scales. Strangely green blood poured from the wound.

The serpent roared and shook violently. Ignacio held on tight to his sword, but couldn't stay on, and was thrown off. Friendly winds bore him towards the edge where he landed safely. Alvaro was about to ask Xhad if they could repeat the manoeuvre when he noticed something strange. The beast stopped attacking. The injury inflicted upon it should not be severe enough to warrant a retreat, and yet, it hid back into the chasm.

"What was that about?" Hector asked the question that was on all of their minds.

"The beast was vanquished by my sword!" Ignacio announced, striking a victor's pose.

"It didn't look vanquished to me" the old veteran commented. "What if it comes back?"