Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Past] Fated

Started by Marjorie, September 05, 2018, 10:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

Arcturus was headed home. He'd spent the better part of a century and a half wondering the southern reaches of the world, and now he felt very keenly the call of home. He had hoped to find his Resonance on his travels, but sense he had not he believed it could be no other way. His Resonance mus be home, among his own people. For whatever reason, he was sure that they had somehow needed the time and the distance that his travels brought to them, and so now, the call to go home must have been the pull of his Resonance against him, calling him back.

Arcturus was dressed in heavy furs and thick layers of fabric to fight out the bitter cold of Hyoite, and the even colder reaches of his home, much further north than here. He was also loaded down, like a beast of burden with a heavy, framed traveling pack. Beside him, struggling along in the snow more than Arcturus was, was a large, shaggy goat. He was laden with the tools and goods of Arcturus' trade... things he meant to sell or trade along the rest of his journey home, and others he meant as gifts for friends and family left behind that he would soon be reunited with.

A rustling sound to his left caught Arcturus' attention, and he turned his gaze upon a snow laden bush. Below its branches, he spotted a tiny white rabbit - nose twitching, but otherwise still. For some reason, unknown and unfathomable to Arcturus, the rabbit gave him pause. It gave him such pause that he sat down in the snow, and watched it a while.

Incandesa

Heavy winter was Imogen's favorite time of year. It provided both an excuse to stay indoors, avoiding her ex fiance and his new bride, and snow where she could easily hide if she was in her rabbit form. Last night had had a particularly large amount of snow, making it ideal weather for her to go out and enjoy being a rabbit. Perhaps she would come across a customer or two.

Occasionally, travelers who didn't make it to the inn in time for a storm were stranded in caves or out in the open and needed to be guided back to the direction of the inn. It was often Imogen's job to scout them out, once in a while. So too was today's task. Not that she minded. She liked helping out the occasional victim of a winter storm. They were often very grateful.

After several hours of searching, she decided to take a break under a snowy bush, safe from the odd hungry hunter. However, not long after, a stranger came across her hiding spot. He was strange looking, not quite male or female, but she guessed male based on his attire. He was very large and could easily fit her rabbit form in the palm of his hand. She felt sorry for him, practically buried under his things, and after a moment to make sure he wasn't planning to attack her, she hopped out of sight and changed back to her human form.

"Hello," she said shyly. "Do you need any assistance with your things? My family's inn isn't too far from here if you are looking for a place to stay."

Marjorie

Arcturus didn't move, somehow mesmerized by the little rabbit, but then it hopped away. Somehow, that made him sad. He shook his head, chucking to himself for being foolish, and then got to his feet. The noise of his own making covered the sound of the approaching young woman. He also was certainly not expecting to find anyone else out her, and he voice startled him.

he whirled around, Arcturus' movements agile despite the layers of clothing, and the things he carried. His movements were strong, and powerful, throwing up a spray of snow. He ducked his head - clearly embarrassed. "My apologies," he said gently, "I didn't expect anyone else to be out here..." He furrowed his brows and looked at Imogen oddly. He sniffed the air. "...Little rabbit?" He grinned. Arcturus liked the unexpected.

"I do happen to be looking for a place to stay." He was on his way home, but had been long on the road now, and would welcome a few days of rest - even a few weeks perhaps. Maybe there were people about who would want to buy some of his goods, or who might make use of his skills. He was not in a hurry, though he was most definitely heading home.

Incandesa

Imogen brushed off the snow as best she could. It wasn't the first time a surprised traveler had done that to her. "It's alright," she said. Then she caught his 'Little Rabbit' remark. "Yes... how did you know?" Shape shifters were fairly rare in these parts, most people did not make the connection between her human and rabbit form. It wasn't exactly like she and her family made a habit of showing off their abilities to everyone after they had had to flee their home country.

She took one of the smaller bags from the stranger's load. It was so heavy, she nearly toppled over, but she managed to keep her balance. The pointed in the direction of a large hill. "The Blue Mountain Inn is just a bit that way. It's not particularly fancy, but we have good beds, decent meals, and hot springs in the back for guests to use on particularly cold days when the fires aren't enough," she said, rattling off the usual sales pitch she gave. The hot springs were generally more than enough draw of travelers, and even some locals, to stay and keep Blue Mountain open.

"My name's Imogen, by the way," she said shyly. She smiled and reached out a hand. Unfortunately, it was at that moment that the weight of the bag became too much for her and she outright toppled over into the snow. In her surprise, she shifted into a rabbit and managed to land safely on her feet.

Marjorie

Arcturus closed his eyes and lifted his chin toward her, before taking in a deep breath threw his nose and letting it out his open mouth. Then he smiled, and looked at her again. "You smell the same, and now I know why the rabbit struck me as so odd... you didn't smell like something I would eat for lunch." He grinned, but it was a playful thing, not threatening, even as it showed off a mouth full of sharp teeth that would indeed be useless for chewing vegetables or bread.

His voice was light, musical, airy... and especially so with his teasing tone. He, sounded more like a she, or maybe an adolescent boy who's voice hadn't yet changed in pitch.

"You don't have to - " he was going to warn he about the weight of his bags, but she had already taken one of them onto her own shoulders. The bag had to weigh nearly as much as she did. Mortals were funny like that - even though the recognized Arcturus was taller, and clearly quite stronger than they, they never did seem to realize by how much.

"Hot springs sound wonderful," he said, "and a good bed is always welcomed - I don't suppose you'd have one I'd fit in?" 

When she started to topple, Arcturus picked up the bag of his she's taken, catching it before it hit the ground, even as Imogen turned into a rabbit and hopped out of the way.

"I'm Arcturus... Shall I call you Imogen, or little rabbit?" He settled his hand on the ground, willing to put her up on his shoulder as well, if she'd like, and if not, let her hop along beside him as he urged his pack goat on in the direction Imogen had pointed out.

Incandesa

Imogen was a little confused by Arcturus' voice, unsure if she had been wrong about he, she, (it?). It was a little embarrassing that she couldn't tell the person's gender, but she decided not to say anything. Not that she could as a rabbit.

Still, not knowing eased a bit of her wariness around Arcturus. At least it seemed very unlikely that a person like this would pursue her as a romantic option, or she them. There wasn't the chance of a nasty heartbreak like last time. It was comforting to say the least.

Cautiously, she hopped onto Arcturus' shoulder. She didn't think she could keep up with the gigantic person and their goat as she was, and she was tired from transforming so much in such a short period of time.

When they got to the inn, Imogen hopped off gracefully and took a pillow by the fire to sleep until she was ready to transform again in the evening. Her parents would understand. Though her brother might nag her a bit. He didn't transform nearly as much as she did, since his animal form- a snake, was more compatible with summer than winter. Once she was rested up, she would wait tables as she normally did for the pub crowd.

Marjorie

Arcturus shifted, pulling the misplaced bag back into place on his back, and then settled Imogen on his shoulder. In the shape of this tiniest of bunnies, her weight was negligible. He carried her easily back to the inn, and when she hopped down and settled on a pillow, Arcturus went about the arduous task of unburdening himself of all his gear - it was clearly everything he'd owned, carried on his back. Everything a person needed during the course of living from a tent down to his socks was present. Once his bags were left in a neat stack on the floor, he went back outside to unburden his goat, and lash it to the post.

These things he brought in were truly the most valuable - metal wears he's made and the tools to make more with. He had everything short of a forge. Once the pack animal was unburdened he brought these things inside also and put them near the other stack. He glanced up from his work to find himself face to face with the innkeeper. He seemed friendly, and eager.

"I was told," he glanced at the snoozing rabbit, and back to him, "that I could find a room here - with a good bed, I hope long enough for me to fit, and a decent meal here."

Incandesa

"Ah, yes oh course!" said the jolly inn keeper, Imogen's father, Steffen. He was plumper middle aged man with a bald head and a long bushy grey beard. "My son will help you with your things and show you to your room. It might be a bit of a tight squeeze, but if worst comes to worst, we can always move you to a double bed I suppose. Supper time in the dining hall starts at sundown, or you can always call for food to be delivered to your room if that makes you more comfortable. Although I will warn you, we do charge a bit more extra coin for the room service."

Imogen's brother, Albert, was far bigger than his sister and musculared than his sister. He attempted to pick up some of Arctucus' bags several times, but eventually gave up and just lead the stranger to his room.

A few hours later, Imogen woke up from her nap and went to the kitchen to help with the evening rush. She was sent back and forth between tables, taking orders and carrying trays as fast as she could, barely stopping for a break more than a few minutes. Although, she stealthily avoided having to wait tables with particularly attractive young men seated. Something both her father and brother approved of.

Marjorie

"Perfect," Arcturus said, "I'd be happy to take my meals in the dining room." He glanced at the strong looking young man who was trying to pick up some of his bags. "Really you don't need to..." he didn't want the boy to get hurt. His sister had nearly been crushed under one of them. "I don't mind getting the bags. If you've some towels though, I think I'd like a good wash and soak in the springs before supper. I haven't seen a bath in weeks."

Arcturus shouldered a couple of his bags and then followed Albert to his room. He made several trips before all his things were stowed. "Do you have a proper stable around here? Grey-beard out there, could use some warmth and a meal as well."

Incandesa

Albert led Arcturus to his room and situated the goat before leading the guest to the dinner hall. There, he immediately went to join his sister in busing the food in the crowded area. While the area they were in was a small settlement, there were plenty of men back from the fishing season, and the inn doubled both as lodgings and pub, so even the people who lived in town had a reason to come and spend money. The down side was that during the busy season there was often more customers than the family could handle, and everyone would be racing around trying to get things done. It was rather comical.

For her part, Imogen couldn't seem to stop her eye from wandering over to Arcturus over once in a while in the corner. He/she was a curious being. There was nothing about this guest that drove her to lust the way Peter had once upon a time, but there was a kind of mysterious attraction about this guest. Not quite a woman and not quite a man, there was a beauty to Arcturus' features that she couldn't quite put her finger on.

But then she was snapped out of her trance as two drunk sailors got into a fight, and both she and Albert ran over to stop it.

Marjorie

Arcturus didn't come back to the dining hall immidatly, he spent a good several long minuted scrubbing himself clean and soaking in the hot springs, and then drying out his long hair in his room before he came back down stairs again.

He came back down the stairs he was dressed differently - it was warm in the inn, and so he'd forgone all his layers for the sorts of clothes he would wear inside, at home. He had a pair of long pants under a long flowing robe that came down near to his knees and was open in the front, the sleeves cane to his knuckles, and underneath he wore a thin shirt. All of it was spun of an expensive looking fabric with a slimier sheen and weight to silk. It was an almost silvery-lavender color and though the color might look feminine to some people, the cut of it didn't give any hints to gender - except that it made it very clear that Arcturus was flat chested.

No longer weighed down by all his gear - which he had moved under with ease - Arcturus moved with both grace and speed that were too great for mortals to match. Smaller movements were much faster than larger ones, almost creating a blur, and all of his movements held an almost unreal looking fluidity to them. Now spotless, and free of all the grime of the road, Arcturus' skin nearly glowed - like alabaster or ivory, even his platinum blonde hair seemed almost to shimmer in the flickering light of candles and fire. People took note of the tall, slender, but powerfully built man as he made his way threw the room into a quiet corner table.

When Imogen came round to serve him he asked for a double portion of meat and no bread, and he gave her his thanks when she brought it out to him. He took his meal quietly, with a cup of water, because Starstriders were very sensitive to alcohol. He was quiet, pleasantly enjoying his solitude in the bustling room, when a fight broke out between a couple of drunk men.

Imogen and her bother went to intercede when the fight started, but quickly found themselves outnumbered, as it seemed both parties had friends present. He moved like a blur or white light across the room. Heads turned, people he passed felt the breeze he kicked up, and then he came back into focus, suddenly still and right between the opposing parties. He blocked a blow that was not meant for, but would have impacted Imogen if he hadn't.

Arcturus hit the offending sailor square in the solar-plexus with a flat outstretched palm. The burly man wheezed, and toppled to the ground, the wind knocked out of him. The norther giant moved, with equal parts grace and viscous precise movements, making short work of all of the brawlers. None of them would find themselves permanently injured though - bruses and busted egos mostly.

Incandesa

Imogen was surprised to see Arcturus step in and handle the fight, and she was even more impressed with how elegantly and efficiently he had ended it. "Thank you," she said with a shy smile. "I don't know how to thank you." her cheeks bled a bright pink color, easily seen on the ivory of her skin.

Albert, recognizing the signs of admiration and potential affection, however small, stepped in front of his sister protectively. He kept a smile on his face, but his eyes were neutral. "We appreciate the help, dear guest, but it was not necessary."

"Nonsense my boy," their father said cheerfully, clapping a hand on his son's shoulder. "This man here saved dear Imogen from being crushed by ruffians! In my book that deserves at least a free meal." He turned to Arcturus. "Please, allow us to treat you for a bit. We are a humble establishment, but we know how to repay our debts.

Imogen's short stature meant she was mostly hidden from view, but that did not mean she didn't catch the slight twitch in her brother's expression. She didn't quite understand why he was acting this way now. The stranger did not seem like a particular threat to her romantically like the other men he seemed to hide her from. And Arcturus did not seem to be looking to cause trouble. Why was this an issue?

Marjorie

"A simple 'thank you,' is more than enough," Arcturus said, smiling faintly in response to Imogen. He had many romantic ideas about life - not even in the sense of love, though there were those too. He favored the southern stories about knights and courtly sensibilities, and the kindness of strangers.

His expression didn't falter when he brother stepped in front of her. The men, now picking themselves up off the ground seemed to think better of continuing their fight with Arcturus still present in the room - which was wise of them. The father interrupted before he could respond to the brother however. He nodded.

"That's very kind of you," Arcturus said, not quite understanding Alber's reaction to him, but appreciating the father's response.

"Perhaps you could tell me also, do you think there's anyone about who might be in the market for a sword or other bladed weapon?" He paused to let the man respond as he, "I'm on my way home, far north of here, but I thought I might stay and rest a while before the last leg of my journey. I've brought several peaces that I crafted in Cannlaoth, but if there's a forge here, I would also be willing to make something on commission... or I suppose, even steal tools."

He was hoping to sell some goods, or find a little work before he finished his journey home.

Incandesa

"I'm not exactly sure I can help you there," said the inn keeper. "Most of the folks around here are fishers and hunters who favor spears and arrows. You might find a bodyguard or two looking for a sword. Daggers are always a lightweight favorite for travelers. I'm sure you could find some people looking for that. There's a blacksmith around here, but he usually does practical stuff like kitchen knives, nothing particularly fancy like what you've got. You could always ask him if he's willing."

Imogen couldn't help but take a peek at the weapons Arcturus made. They were beautiful, far nicer than anything made around here. She would've liked to have one herself if she had the money, if only just to look at it.

There was one dagger in particular she liked. The blade was curved much more than a usual dagger, likely with only one edge sharpened. Beautiful brown leather was wrapped around the handle and the sheath had intricate little patterns etched in. At the distance she stood, she couldn't tell if there were any stones on it, but it was beautiful to look at all the same.

Marjorie

"Well, if you happen to hear of anyone in the market for such things, I would very much appreciate it if you would send them my way." He dipped his head polity to them, and returned to his meal.

Some of the other customers cast Arcturus weary and.or curious glances, but none of them interrupted his meal.