Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Mysterious Package [Past]

Started by Incandesa, September 23, 2018, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incandesa

It had been close to four months since Arcturus first arrived at the Blue Mountain Inn, and Imogen still did not know what to make of him. He seemed to mostly keep to himself, and she did not see him much aside from meal times. It was equal parts intriguing and frustrating, particularly because it seemed that the longer he stayed, the less she seemed to understand him.

But today, she had made it her mission to learn more about this strange guest, if only to satisfy her unending curiosity. Just as she was about to head upstairs, the mail carrier stopped at the door. "Package for a Mr. Arcturus," he announced, holding up a small box wrapped in brown paper. Both Imogen and her brother, Albert, raced to retrieve it, and luckily for Imogen, she got there first. She grabbed it and hid it behind her back. It was strange enough to get a package this far north, and even stranger that a guest should be receiving mail here.

Albert glared at her. As much as he denied it, he was just as curious about Arcturus' long stay as she was, and they both knew this was one of the few chances to talk to him outside of the rush hour of any meal times. "Give it here, Imi," Albert growled.

Had it been anyone else, Imogen would've been intimidated, but she knew her brother was all bark and no bite when it came to her. She gave a small, sly smile and said, "You'll have to catch me first!" Then, she darted off upstairs towards Arcturus' room.

Marjorie

Arcturus hadn't intended to stay on this long. He'd only meant to stay a few weeks at most, sell some wears, rest a while, and then head on home. He'd been away from home for more than an age of men. Yet, for some reason he felt held to this place, bound to it... when he though of leaving, and returning to his home and his family, he longed only to stay where he was.

Quiet by his nature, Arcturus was a curious, but privet oddity in the little town. He had arranged a deal with the local blacksmith to use his forge for steal works the likes of which he didn't have the skill to craft, in exchange for a percentage of the profits he made from the sales. He'd taken to making hunting knives, spear tips, kitchen knives, and other tools for some of the locals, and selling the occasional sword or dagger to passers threw. On market days he set up his stall with all manner of wears he had for sale - the swords he made drew the most eyes, of course, but he rarely sold them, the more practical things selling quickly.

At the moment, Arcturus was in his room, sitting on the floor, in the flowing robes over long pants, of his people. He sat cross legged with his palms resting on his knees. His eyes were closed and he was mediating, breathing in and out at a slow, rhythmic pace. The beating of his heart had aligned with the pace of his breathing, and Arcturus was in a nearly trance-like state. The hurried foot steps leading up to his door went un-responded to, in fact, they went unheard, as did the knock at the door. 

Incandesa

When no answer came to the knock at the door, Imogen opened it and went inside, her giddy  adrenaline filled mind desperate to get away from her brother. The door slammed behind her and she gave a surprised gasp. It was dark in the room, but she could make out the outline of Arcturus in the corner meditating. It took her a second to realize what exactly she had done.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said quickly, in a shy voice. "It's just umm, well there's a package for you." she held out of the package in front of her, unsure of what exactly to do next. "I hope, umm, that-that I didn't bother you."

Searching for something to do, she placed the package on the ground near Arcturus and pushed it towards him. As she backed away, Imogen's fingers brushed against and she jolted back even quicker. Her heart pounded furiously in her chest. "Well, I umm, I'll just leave you to your business then," she said, cursing her own cowardly behavior. Imogen all but practically ran to the door, still wondering what was inside of that package.

Marjorie

Arcturus didn't respond, in fact, didn't notice Imogen until she brushed up against him. He reached out with inhuman speed, and grasped her wrist. At the same time he opened his eyes - there was awe in them. His grasp was strong but gentle, she wouldn't have been able to got get free on her own, but when she scrambled back, he released her.

The package went entirely ignored. "Did you hear it?" His voice held reverence. "In the still and the silence. The resonance, did you hear it?" There was awe and excitement and a touch of a desperate note in his voice. Did she hear it? Did she know? Would she believe him? Mortals couldn't always hear it, sometimes didn't believe, always didn't understand.

"Imogen," he got to his feet and moved across the room toward her, "you're the reason I've stayed. You're my resonance." He reached out a hand to her and pressed his palm to her heart, gently. His touch like a prayer. "Three hundred years I wondered this world, looking for you, only to find you here, so near to my home." 

Incandesa

When Arcturus caught her wrist, Imogen was scared stiff. Her bright green eyes were locked onto him and she was ready to bolt if he did anything remotely dangerous. But then he completely surprised her by placing his hand on her heart, which fluttered uncontrollably underneath. "Wh-what?" she asked. She had no idea what he was talking about.

Imogen squeezed her eyes shut, as if that would somehow make him go away. "I-I'm sorry, but I think you might have the wrong person." She placed her hand on his and attempted to pull him off of her. What was she supposed to say to that?

Marjorie

Arcturus felt the flutter of her heart under his hand, and it sent a rush of excitement threw him. Maybe she felt it.

At her words, Arcturus pulled his hand back as if he'd been burned. "Imogen," he said softly, sadness, and pain leaking into his voice, it brought out his second voice - harmonious sounds weaving over and under his speaking voice. "I'm not wrong. I heard it, I can hear it still... Your soul resonated with mine. I can feel it, it's fate." And he believed it.

Incandesa

Imogen wasn't sure what made her more nervous, all this fate and resonance talk or the fact that his voice sounded so strange. It was almost alien like in tone, unearthly for sure. "Well um, listen. I don't know what you are talking about, but I'm sure there must be some kind of mistake." Then she said in a quieter voice looking away slightly, "Fate has never exactly been my friend."

Trapped against the door, she had nowhere to run. It terrified her, and yet some part of her, deep in her soul, was glad for the excuse not to leave him.

Marjorie

If she had tried to, or even said she had wanted too, Arcturus would have stepped back, given her free leave to go. He could never hold his resonance against their will - he could never keep them or stop them from doing something they wished. At the same time, he couldn't bare the thought of letting her go. He was crying no - silent tears streaming down his cheeks, she was breaking his heart. Mistake she said, It was some kind of mistake - she thought. She didn't hear it, didn't understand, didn't believe.

"It's a special bond," Arcturus said, not sure how to explain, he took her hand in his and pressed it to his heart, sliding it past the opening in his robes, so her fingers slid along his skin. Tentatively, he lifted his free hand and pressed it to her heart, as if he were afraid that she would rebuke him again. "We can hear it. Starstrders are more attuned to the sounds - the song of a soul. When two souls resonate - it's rare - it's special. It's fate. Two people meant to be together, two halves of the same whole."

Incandesa

Imogen's fingers trembled when Arcturus placed her hand on his skin, but when he placed his hand over her heart, she completely went into panic mode. She didn't even properly hear what he had said. "I'm sorry," she said again. "I have to go." Then she transformed into a rabbit and darted away from him.

However, she had made one fatal error in her escape plan. The door and window were closed, so she had no way to truly leave him. Instead, she opted to hide under the bed in the farthest corner she could manage.

Marjorie

"I..." Arcturus paused when she turned quickly into a rabbit and hopped away to hide. "I'm sorry," he said gently, "I didn't mean to frighten you." He sounded crestfallen. "Please don't fear me. I would never hurt you, or force you to do anything." He put his hand on the door knob and paused again, the idea of increasing the distance between them tore at him. "You may go, if it is your wish." He turned the knob on the door and opened it up, then stepped away, giving her free passage to leave.

Incandesa

Without a second thought, Imogen skittered out of the room.

Marjorie

Arcturus shut the door gently behind her and then stumbled toward the bed. He hit his knees and leaned forward resting his head on the bed and soaked the sheets threw with his tears. He grieved. He loved her, but he had scared her away. She didn't understand. Was it possible for him to make her see? One thing was clear, he couldn't be so forward with her again - not at first, at least.