Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Poor Penny

Started by Incandesa, September 23, 2018, 05:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incandesa

Some days, Penny thought it was unfortunate that she hadn't been born a dancer as well as a singer. It would have made begging on the street just a tad bit easier. While her voice was fairly pretty, she had the equivalent of two left feet when it came to dancing, and it was just safer for everyone involved if she just remained still when performing.

Today's tune was about a sailor who was reunited with his ladylove after a decade at sea. It was a cheery, joyful song, as all of her songs were, if only to convince the singer herself that she was just as happy as the characters in her songs.

"And then my bonny love's eyes,
Shining bright like the stars at ni-"

She was cut off by a pair of large men approaching her little street corner. "That's a pretty song you have there, little lady," one of them said. "But if you really want to make some money, my friend and I can show you an easy way. You might even like it..." They both had a rather dangerous looking smile on their faces that made Penny uneasy.

Keeping her smile nervously plastered to her face, she backed away and said, "I think I like where I am, thanks..." She hadn't looked where she was stepping and felt her back slide up against the wall as they came closer.

Zero

It was hot. These southern lands were always hot. Aralysr wondered if it even snowed here, though he supposed it was summer and apparently there was never snow in summer. It was so strange. At home there was snow all year round. He missed the snow and cold.

That didn't even take into consideration the food or people.

These small people, humans, were often shorter than even a Procyon! They were also terribly rude, and lacking in general manners. He lifted one corner of his lip, sharp teeth flashing in a silent snarl as people moved out of the way, odd looks and whispers following him. The words were usually the same, questioning what he was, some had gone as far as to suggest he was some kind of demon because of his outlandish looks.

Aralysr had been placated with assurances that the humans would get used to him. Eventually, he just had to be patient, they said.

Why had he ever left home?

Of course he knew why, the soft, trilling call that had drew them all south to these foreign lands. He thought he could hear it even now, a barely there, whispering note tickling at the edge of his senses. Even if he found them, these southerners did things so differently. They mated like wild beasts, uncaring as they lacked resonance or harmony. It didn't seem to matter to them at all!

A different kind of song had reached his ears. Some human was singing, a woman, he supposed. The male voices of these humans were so...deep. He had gotten more than a few shocked looks when his soft, dusky voice had actually been used - he did avoid talking to humans when possible. They said he sounded like a woman. His brow knit in a scowl as he considered it. He sounded like one of his people.

Humans were just ignorant.

Aralysr didn't notice that he was drifting closer to the singer - a street performer they were called - until suddenly the song cut off. It had not been finished, it had just stopped abruptly. Given his distracted ambling he shouldn't have even noticed, but there was something...wrong, not right.

Dark, orange-red eyes darted around to try to understand why he was suddenly so alert and on edge. All he saw were people, milling about their business.

No, there was something. A tiny creature had been backed against a wall by some, well they were probably large in her eyes, they did not look very big to him. Then again, nobody did even back home. As an Antares he was about as big as his people came.

Ack, he was getting off track again.

Whatever was going on there was none of his concern, but for some reason Aralysr found his feet moving without his consent. He didn't even know what he was going to do until he was already right there, behind the men, he supposed they were men.

"I think you need to leave, now." His eyes flickered beyond the men to the...for a moment the elf's brain fumbled over his thoughts. It was a human, of course, but his eyes darted down to their chest. Ah, they had those strange growths, that meant it was a woman? Yes, the humans called them breasts, that was the word. Actually he had come to realize they had several words for them - and other things.

Aralysr's lips curled in a snarl. His voice might not be intimidating, but the rest of him...

Incandesa

Penny's attackers seemed just as confused with the stranger as he(she?) was with them. The voice could've just as easily belonged to a man as a woman, but the body was far larger than either of them could reasonably handle. Either way, man or woman, the stranger was a much harder target than Penny was. The men looked as if they were about to argue, but that snarl, combined with the strange eyes and hair, was enough convince one of them to back off. "Now Now. No need to get your panties in a twist," he grumbled as he started to walk away. "We was just having a bit of fun."

However, the other man wasn't deterred so easily. "What's it to you, Ninny? What happens between me and this slut walker got nothin' to do with you! So get!" Penny flinched at being called a slut. It wasn't the first time she had been called that, but it still brought back painful memories.

Her eyes followed her attacker's to look at the stranger. He(she?) was so strange to look at (even for a foreigner), in a fascinating and exotic kind of way. And yet, they felt familiar in a way that Penny couldn't quite put her finger on. She felt herself drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

Zero

It was unusually satisfying when the first pink-skinned buffoon was smart enough to make a hasty retreat. The second was not as intelligent, and that made Aralysr far more annoyed than it should have. He didn't know what the words slut walker meant, but he could see the tiny human woman's reaction to hearing them and understood that it was not something pleasant to be called.

That made him really angry. He didn't know why, but it did.

"You're right. It doesn't have anything to do with me. Maybe it can have something to do with some city guards, then? I'm sure they might have something to say about you harming your fellow human." Aralysr wasn't actually sure about that, but he assumed that it was frowned upon. 

Why he cared was a mystery, but he wasn't about to let this go now.

Incandesa

The man who had spoken before looked just drunken enough to start a fight, but luckily his friend was smart enough to drag him away. "Hey man," he hissed, "Time to go!" And the two of them scurried out of sight.

Penny stared in awe for a moment at the stranger who rescued her. Then she rushed up to him and tackled him with a bear hug around the waist. "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you sooo much!" she shouted with a hug smile on her face. "I thought I was a goner there!" Her sky blue eyes sparkled up at him in relief. "Nice to meet you. I'm Penny." She conveniently skipped her surname.

She was a petite girl dressed in shabby clothes that were much too big for her. The dirt on the girl's skin did well to hide the small white scars that littered her body. Her arms and feet were wrapped in cheap cloth in an attempt of what looked like makeshift shoes and gloves. She wore a piece of fur around her neck, which seemed odd for the climate. However, an observant person would likely notice the heavy metal collar around her neck underneath. Her curly red hair ran wild around her shoulders.

Zero

For a moment it had actually looked like the human wanted to fight. That had been a tense and anxious moment. It wasn't that the elf thought the human could beat him in a brawl, but the elves had been welcomed to remain in Adela by being productive members of the society and not causing trouble. Aralysr would have gotten more than an earful for starting a fight with a couple of unruly human males, even if they were the ones causing the trouble.

Thankfully they did end up going away, and he was able to breathe a sigh of relief; although that relief was momentary.

The small human female was certainly not large enough to stagger him no matter how she launched herself at him, but Aralysr was stunned nonetheless. Why was she hugging him? The action sent strange feelings and sensations shocking through the tall, red creature.

"Penny?" Her name rolled across his tongue in a flitting melody. Aralysr subconsciously took a couple steps back, trying to put distance between himself and this odd little pink-skinned person. He did not like feeling confused and unsettled. "I am Aralysr, and don't thank me. Any decent person should not have allowed them to harm you."

Incandesa

Unconsciously, Penny's hand touched the fur scarf around her neck that still hid her slave chains. Clearly there weren't many decent people who had passed across her path then. "Please, let me thank you," she said earnestly. "I'm a hard worker; I listen well; I can lift fifty pounds on my own; Sing, dance, cook, I can do just about anything. I don't even complain." There was a bright smile on her face. What she said was completely true, and it was difficult to find a trustworthy travel companion in those parts. She gazed hopefully into his eyes, praying to any god that would listen that he would accept the lure of big, pitiful puppy eyes.

Aralysr's voice was strange but pretty to listen to, and he(she?) had already gone out of their way to protect her. Surely Penny could trust him. Better to serve a stranger who had saved her life than alone and risking another dangerous incident. Sometimes men were just as dangerous as beasts.

"Besides, I-I... have nowhere else to go," she said quietly under her breath.

Zero

Aralysr was very confused.

Why was she telling him that she was a hard worker and the things she could do? How did any of those things relate to thanking him? Even if he wanted her thanks, this seemed strange. He wasn't sure if he was missing some human culture thing.

"What?" The starstrider's eyes widened when it finally struck him that she was trying to talk him into keeping her. He was even more confused.

Wait, didn't some humans keep other humans like pets? They called them slaves.

"No. There is some confusion here. A misunderstanding." That had to be it. Aralysr couldn't think of any rational explanation other than he was misinterpreting something.

Incandesa

Penny felt a pang in her chest. If she lost this chance, she'd be completely defenseless. But what was she supposed to do? She didn't have any money. Or anything to trade with. The elf clearly didn't want service. So now what?

Then in the distance, the former slave saw her worst nightmare- a bounty hunter walking around, asking about a wanted poster with her picture on it. Out of instinct, she hid behind the large elf. Her breath hiked up and her heart felt like it was about to burst out of her chest. Her hands couldn't help but finger the chain and collar still around her neck under the scarf. "Please," she pleaded,"Just hide me, would you?"

She might as well call it quits now. She was a goner, dead, about to be dragged back where the crows would pick at her body.

Zero

This was turning into a headache. Why had he decided to walk the streets instead of hiding away in the quarters provided to him in the royal place? Aralysr did not know why he had felt so compelled to wander, but it had been an irresistible pull. The elf had become more and more restless the farther south they had all come.

He sensed the human's sudden distress and turned his head to look where she looked. The elf saw nothing out of the ordinary, but he didn't know a great deal about humans, their customs, or this city. Clearly something was wrong again.

Aralysr turned his gaze back to the small woman when she pleaded with him to hide her. He cocked his head to the side, trying to puzzle over what to do. Everything about this encounter was strange and foreign to him, but she looked so scared and desperate, which made his gut clinch.

"I am lost. Walk with me until I find my way." He suggested impulsively. She was bound to know the city better than him. This was just a way to make use of the situation!