Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's the little things that mean the most

Started by Marjorie, September 25, 2018, 03:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

When Imogen pushed him away, Arcturus retreated, looking briefly wounded,  but said nothing. He backed off, giving her some space when she looked like she wanted to dart. He moved across to the large table in the kitchen used for preparing food. He picked up the meet he'd brought in and placed it on the table.

---

Moths later, winter had come and gone, and spring was upon Hyoite. By now, Arcturus had decided that he would stay in Hyotie, that the idea of leaving was impossible even to consider. He needed to build a home, make a life, and he needed to go south, to market, and sell his goods.

Arcturus didn't want to simply disappear on Imogen though. They'd grown close over time, but there was still a distance between them, he didn't want her to think he was leaving never to return.

It was early in the morning when he approached her. "May I help you with that?" he asked, extending his hand to take the broom from her. He smiled faintly when she let him help her.

"I wanted to let you know," he said gently, "I plan on heading south in a week, to sell my goods." He knew he didn't technically or even theoretically need her permission or approval to go he wanted to let her know.

"I should be back in about two months," he glanced down at Imogen, and smiled faintly. "I'm asking all of the villagers if there's anything they might need or want me to bring back for them." The obvious implication was they would pay for or triad in goods for them when he got back.

Incandesa

Imogen nodded calmly let Arcturus take the broom from her. Over the months, she had long given up the fight over whether he (a guest) should have to do her chores. Frankly, it often took more time to argue with him about it than it actually took to finish the job. And besides, she was coming to appreciate his gestures of kindness, even if she could never bring herself to fully rely on them.

However, when he brought up that he was leaving, she felt a shock to her system and would've dropped the broom if she were still holding it. "Oh," was all she could seem to say in a small voice.

Of course he was planning to leave, and Imogen highly doubted that he would be coming back like he said. There was nothing for him here- no family, nowhere to sell his finer goods, no lover (despite his efforts). It was frankly insane that he had stayed for as long as he had. She had long ago expected this, and yet, why was she holding back tears forming in her eyes? She turned away from Arcturus to keep him from seeing. Somehow, she could feel the hope that had been unconsciously building start to die. How strange, the idea of losing something you didn't even know you had. Perhaps after Arcturus left, she could finally put the whole matter to rest and live her lonely life in peace.

Marjorie

Arcturus could read the disappointment, hurt even in her expression, hear it in that one tiny word. He knew she cared for him, in some way, even if she denied it, actively fought against it. She must have felt it, in some way, the way their souls resonated. She just couldn't believe it yet.

"Just two months, maybe three," he said gently, reassuringly, "depending on how long the hike down takes me.

"I've pick a plot of land, a little removed from the village, but good and flat. I was thinking of settling permanently here, but I'll have to travel to sell my goods, and to purchase the things... like glass pains for windows, I can't get here, if I'm going to build a house."

A part of him nearly panicked at the thought of being for far from her. Mortals were not like Starstrideds, they were finicky and flighty with love and affection. Would she still want him when he returned, would she give herself away to someone else in his absence. In her fear would she run headlong into the arms of someone who could never care about her - live and breath and die for her - the way he did, because it felt safer, more familiar?

No. He couldn't believe it. He may as well just cut his hearts out here and now if he was going to believe that.

"I do," he said  quietly, almost a whisper, "you have to know I love you. Even if it scares you. I'm sorry my affections are too intense for you. I could no more leave you here and not return than I could stop drawing breath and continue living."

He'd said too much - again. Like the first time. He met her gaze suddenly, intensely, the truth in his words could not be hidden when he looked at her like that. "I'm sorry." He didn't know what he was sorry for. For scaring her, maybe, when all he wanted was for them to be a part of one another - to protect and care for her. "I know it worries you when I speak like that. Please let me know if you would like me to bring anything back from the city for you." He leaned the broom against a wall and silently left the room and Imogen alone.