Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Maybe This Time [Possible M]

Started by DragonSong, October 13, 2018, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

As his fingers continued to trace and stroke over her scales, Azalea found her eyes growing strangely heavy, falling to half-lidded as a low, crooning, rumbling sound that was embarrassingly like a purr started to thrum through her chest.

She couldn't help it! No one was really this familiar with her as a dragon, no one ever had been; she hadn't even realized having her scales pet like that would be something she liked, much less like as much as she clearly did.

A soft chuckle rumbled in the back of her throat for his attempt at a joke, recognizing it for what it was and not wanting him to feel awkward about it, as he clearly did. She twisted her head slightly and bumped her nose gently against his shoulder, eyes a bit softer than normal as she looked him over.

"I've been waiting to wipe that stupid smug smirk off Ambrose's face since I was fifteen," she huffed with a soft laugh, the tip of her tail twitching back and forth before she caught herself and curled the long appendage in against her side.

Before she could say anything else though, Gwaine and his father appeared in the door of the forge, and the blacksmith gave both dragon and rider a wide, welcoming grin. "'Lo there, Ser Denarym," he greeted Azalea with a respectful nod before turning his attention toward Daxten. "And...forgive me, lad, m'boy didn't tell me your name?"

Gwaine flushed in clear embarrassment and seemed to try to shrink back behind his father a bit--which was a rather futile endeavor, considering that despite the blacksmith's size, his son was still taller than him by nearly half a foot.

Paladienne

Daxten chuckled, dropping his head to press his cheek against Azalea's. "Then let's wipe that smirk off Ambrose's face, and make him publicly praise us for our achievements."

It was a long shot, though, even Daxten had to admit. Of the two of them Azalea was the more experienced, and Daxten himself had a long way to go to even begin to feel like he belonged in the saddle on her back. Or, in the ranks of the dragon riders at all. There was a heavy weight on his shoulders, a weight that seemed less with Azalea around, but still there, still in the back of his mind and scarred into his heart and body even if he didn't really have any physical scars to show anyone. But despite being a long shot, despite being almost impossible, Daxten knew that they couldn't do anything except try.

At the sound of approaching footsteps, Daxten pushed away from Azalea, and he turned to face the door to the forge. He tensed a little again as Gwaine filled the doorway, accompanied by a man he assumed to be Gwaine's father. Both father and son shared the same facial features and body structure, the same muscles honed by years of hammering metal into shape. The only thing Gwaine lacked was the lines of experience around his eyes and the firm swagger of knowledge that only older adults and parents seemed to exude. Daxten was reminded of his own father by the sight of Gwaine's, and for the first time in a while, he wondered how his own family was doing. They hadn't heard from or seen him since he left to enlist in the army. Of course, Daxten didn't think he could face his family now, not like he was. He didn't think that he was worthy of that. Or that he could subject them to what he'd experienced. How could they understand?

He forced himself to relax during the time the elder smith addressed Azalea, and he did his best to seem friendly. He lifted his shoulders in a shrug, as if it was okay that he hadn't been introduced earlier. "Daxten Solario. I only gave Gwain my first name."

He moved toward the blacksmith, his eyes glancing toward Gwaine as the younger man tried to make himself unnoticeable. Daxten couldn't help but give Gwaine a teasing smile, even as he put his hand out to Gwaine's father to shake, as was the polite thing to do. Then Daxten returned his attention to the master smith, trying to appear to be friendly. "It's a pretty strange name, and I'm not as pretty as Azalea. It's little wonder that he forgot I was here."

DragonSong

The dragon raised her head just slightly off her paws, pressing back against him with a low, short crooning sound in the back of her throat, though she didn't respond verbally--even if she'd wanted to, Gwaine and his father entered the outer shop and she found herself drawing back from Daxten slightly, a bit abashed that she'd been acting so...pettish. She was a dragon, for gods' sakes!

Gwaine's blush deepened and he seemed to be trying to shrink in on himself even further as his father chuckled in response to Daxten's introduction. "Well I don't know anything about that, lad, I'm sure. But I can leave the measuring of Ser Denarym to Gwaine if you like, and you can deal with me directly."

He moved toward a smallish alcove just off the side of the forge and beckoned for Daxten to follow. "Dragon saddles--the good ones, at any rate--are tailored to the dragon themselves, of course, but there's quite a few bells and whistles we can add or tweak depending on the rider's preference. Why don't you tell me what you'd like to work with and I'm sure we can find something within garrison-approved costs." He glanced over his shoulder at Azalea even as his son moved forward and gave the dragoness a polite little half-bow, a long, thin strip of leather coiled up in his hand. "I'm assuming you'll be using funds from the barracks?"

Azalea nodded with a little snort. She was still a trainee, neither she nor her rider would make any sort of real coin for their service until they were fully initiated.

Paladienne

"Oh, yeah," Daxten pulled the coin purse that he'd been given from his pocket, holding it out on the palm of his hand as he offered it to the blacksmith. "We were allocated this to get a decent saddle for the two of us. I really don't know how much is in there, but I assume that since the quartermaster gave it to us, personally, it's probably enough for a small bell or tiny whistle."

Honestly, though, Daxten doubted there was much in there for anything more than a basic saddle. He doubted that two screw-ups like him and Azalea were to be afforded enough money to buy something that would see years of use. He couldn't even begin to imagine how many saddles Azalea had gone through with her partners. He would've suggested perhaps that they could've used one of those, because he assumed they'd been returned to whomever had made them, but if it was true that the saddles were specific to each dragon and rider, then there'd be no way those saddles would be comfortable for him. And he doubted that saddles like that could be altered.

He followed the blacksmith, uncertain exactly what the man wanted to show him. But he supposed he could tell him what he was looking for easily enough. "I guess something that's comfortable for the both of us," Daxten started, "something that's easy to maneuver in. Probably something simple enough to get in and out of in a hurry. Something sturdy. Something that'll weather. That'll last."

He wasn't sure exactly what he was describing, but he knew that he didn't want something that was fancy and hard-molded. He didn't think Azalea would appreciate impractical bells and whistles that did nothing for them except perhaps give away their position or make it harder to get the saddle on and off. Or him in and out of the saddle. He didn't want a saddle like that. Even as Daxten walked and thought, he was pretty sure that he'd already described his ideal saddle, and he couldn't think of anything else that might work for him or Azalea or both.

He looked up at the blacksmith and lifted his shoulders slightly. "Beyond that, I really don't know what else. I've never... really worked with dragons before, and today was my first day with Azalea. So... I suppose whatever else you think would be necessary."

DragonSong

Owen took the coin pouch from Daxten and weighed in his own palm, peeked inside, then nodded to himself thoughtfully. He tucked the money away in a pouch, pulling out a small pad of paper and what appeared to be a stick of charcoal as he began jotting down notes while the younger man spoke.

"Practical," he noted approvingly with a small nod. His eyes flickered over Daxten's shoulder toward Azalea, who was doing her best to hold as still as possible as Gwaine was forced to sort of clamber over her in an effort to get an accurate measurement of the length of her haunches between her wings.

The dragon shot her new partner a quick, droll look as Gwaine's foot slipped and he sort of collapsed sideways along her spine with a "whoof!", though she somehow managed to keep herself relatively still.

Owen snorted quietly and shook his head, though his eyes were bright and clever as they flickered over Azalea again from nose to tail, then back to Daxten. "Well, it sounds to me like what you two need is something light and flexible, that you could mayhaps both get in and out of in a hurry."

"It'll make sense in the long run, too," Gwaine piped up from where he now stood under Azalea's left wing, measuring the length of the first spindly joint that stretched through the pure white, nearly translucent membrane. "With the ice dragons from down out of the mountains, the females tend to be smaller, faster. Built for speed and agility rather than brute force. So you two will probably run a lot of recon missions, that sort of thing. A light, flexible saddle will go a long way with that. Not to mention it'll keep you somewhat insulated from her breath, since it's easier to wrap that kind of saddle in wool or something around the seat and pommel."

"For this much..." Owen mused, tilting his head back and forth as he apparently ran some mental calculations. "We could have something basic done up in...about three days. Maybe three and a half, if you want the insulation Gwaine mentioned. You probably already noticed that ice dragons hold a chill the same way the more common breeds retain warmth in their scales."

Azalea huffed and rolled her eyes. One of the strangest aspects of living in her dragon form among mainly humans, she had discovered, was the simultaneous reverence and patronizing that tended to be directed toward her. People recognized that she was a sentient creature--and a rather powerful one at that--but most still couldn't seem to move past the idea of "beast" that her form projected, and would sometimes talk about her as though she, and the rest of her kind, were little more than intelligent livestock.

As Gwaine and his father just had, though she knew the young man didn't mean anything by it. He tended to get clinical when he was working, much like Owen.

So rather than get properly offended, she just sat in silence, watching the three men dryly with her head once more resting on folded paws.