Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Admissions and Assessments (Legit Violet)

Started by Whim, October 19, 2018, 07:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@Legit Violet

"Ow!" A delicate boy with feathery blonde hair yelped in pain. A second boy, with two heads had slammed a fist into his  stomach and sent him reeling. "I don't care if you've only got one dick between you. You've got two heads and can cast two spells at once. How am I supposed to compete?"

"All I had was an antimagic ward. It's the easiest thing. You could have turned the ground to muck or summoned a fog or something to buy time. But fine. I'll sit out while you spar Kana." The left-most head, Liam, sighed. And they really were predictable. Most of the time Kana just turned their fists to stone and charged. All Liam had to do was protect them.

"No way! Me and Liam are basically one guy now, and we're always going to be stuck together. If I need to put up with his boring books I should get to win bouts with him." Their right-most head grinned, reaching over and ruffling his "brother's" hair.

"Stop! You always mess it-"

"You should braid it like mine anyway. One for each victory! I mean I'll always have a little more but we'd match."

Dylan, the blonde boy, snorted in annoyance and climbed atop a boulder to sit. Kaliam arguing with themselves was funny until it was annoying. He didn't mind them ordinarily but the constant bickering, shouting, and wrestling was exhausting. With a sigh he turned his gaze to throw highlands. It beautiful in the summer when the sun took hours to set. You never got to appreciate that sort of thing during school, usually, but it was another week until the term started.

"Hey guys! Who is that?" Dylan pointed at a small girl making her way up the winding road to Wyrdwood. "I've never seen her. Not here or at the village."

"She might be a spy? Maybe we should go and, you know, feel her out?" Liam squinted down at the figure. If she was a villager why not being supplies? Shapeshifting into a student would be the perfect disguise anyway.

"Since when can you talk to girls? And she's probably just some farmer. Let's say hello!" The trio perched themselves at the Alex of the path, trying not to look too interested in the newcomer.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Codex

How long had it been? 3 weeks? A month? Maybe a little longer than that? Mavis could not tell. The days had all but blurred together in her head as the idea of keeping track of them faded from her memory. All she knew now was that she was finally here. The legendary Wyrdwood Academy. A strong sense of satisfaction fell over the girl's body as she witnessed the building looming in the distance. The school was indeed a real place, and that was a great relief to the young sorceress. She still had a hard time believing she was even here to be perfectly honest with herself. Her entire life, Mavis was cooped up inside that frozen castle on the edge of the world, but now she was here. The ancient homeland of her ancestors. Sadly they did not leave it on good terms with the locals. The young girl had only hoped that her family name had faded from memory by now. For she was the last Enevia. Even if her plans for coming to Wyrdwood were successful, she doubted that her family would survive anyways. Her grandfather was old, unable to produce children, and her father was missing. Even if Mavis grew up and found a man, her children would take his name, not hers. She truly was the last of her kind. The endling of a once great House.

Luckily for Mavis however, the Enevia vault was still quite full. As the years passed and their family members dwindled, less and less people were left to spend their gold. Now Mavis was the only one who could inherit all of her family's wealth, and it became very useful for getting here. The journey had been long and challenging, but Mavis had trusted the right people to help her. Hitching rides on wagons and carts of passing travelers or merchants before buying supplies in the local towns along the way. Connlaoth proved to be quite a challenge as well. Mavis was a sorceress after all. The magic hating regime were unable to figure this out, however and she was able to slip pass their borders without notice thanks to the help of a few smugglers. Once she had been given directions, Mavis had spent the last few days traveling by foot towards the ancient school. Nothing but her purple clothing and backpack of supplies. One might be concerned that a little girl wandering the country side by herself could get into some serious trouble, but Mavis was far from helpless. Like the rest of the Enevia mage family, she was blessed with natural talent for magic. Magic she had honed over the years into a deadly weapon. She could summon her own familiar guards if she wanted, or used the celestial magic to burn anything or anyone who would cause her harm. To top it off, being locked away in Enevia castle her whole life had sheltered the girl from the dangers the outside world possessed. She had never seen or experience them before, and as such, felt no fear when taking this journey by herself.

Soon Mavis noticed that she was no longer alone. It would've been a welcomed change if the newcomers were normal... But they weren't... Mavis stopped in her tracks when she saw the two headed person and no words could leave the girl's mouth. Only a wide eyed stare. Sure Mavis had seen some pretty strange things in her travels, but this certainly took the cake! Is this what happens to people who go to Wyrdwood? Do they get cursed or mutated into creatures like this? Mavis certainly hoped not, otherwise she might've reconsidered her entire trip south.

Trying not to be rude, Mavis forced herself to look at the only normal looking person there, Dylan. She finally summoned the courage to speak. "Uh. H- Hi. I'm Mavis. I came here to attend the school... Do you guys know how to get in?" She asked. This was probably the biggest setback she would face. Despite all the research she had done, Mavis could not think of a way to actually be accepted into the school. From what she read, it was the student's parents who sent their kids off to the academy, or a rep from the school would come to recruit promising kids. Mavis had nobody to vouch for her attendance, and she didn't really have much time to wait around to get noticed. Especially when she was locked away at the edge of the world. Her only option was to just show up to the front door, and hope they let her in... After all, what else could she do at this point?

Whim

Liam looked the girl up and down. You didn't just show up at Wyrdwood and start classes. It just wasn't done. The looked Serenian at least, and pretty exhausted at that, and he felt awful crushing her hopes. But you kind of had to brave and blunt sometimes did you? "I'm Liam Hargrove. And this is Kana. Most of us are at Wyrdwood because our parents were mages. I guess you would want to talk to the Headmistress? Or one of the professors? Usually they're very busy and all..." he gave a sympathetic smile. "I'm highborn, even, and to make room they stuck me and this one together."

"Its great meeting ya Mavis. And they just had me do a stupid test to prove I was magic. Maybe just ask?" Kana held out their right forearm, which turned to purple crystal and back. "Its not event that hard!What sort of spells do you got anyway?" The right-most boy grinned, eager for a demonstration.

"Either your parents are important, and fund the school, or you take the test and work for whomever your debt is sold to. Probably the queen?" Dylan shrugged. The tow-headed apprentice had been studying Mavis for some time, and did not introduce himself. He seemed almost afraid of his own voice, barely a whisper.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Codex

Mavis stared at the group as they told her the news she probably should've been expecting. There was no specific way to get in when you just decided to show up at random and ask to join. Mavis knew that was probably a likely possibility when she set out on this journey, but the longer she kept going, the more and more she hoped they'd overlook the odd circumstances of her visit and accept her. There was a brief look of sadness on the girl's face as Liam explained that most of the kids got accepted by being sent in by their parents. That obviously wasn't an option for the silver haired girl.

The two headed figure went on to explain that the two of them were stuck together simply to make room! That thought horrified Mavis. What if they tried something similar with her? What if she was to spend the rest of her days as some horrible abomination (No offense to Liam and Kana). However, he did bring up the question of talking to the Headmistress. Whoever that was. At this point Mavis was willing to try anything in order to be accepted to the school, she didn't travel halfway across the world for nothing.

"I uhh. I was taught by my father in some summoning magic." Mavis said, holding out her arm. Suddenly a bright flash appeared just above the girl's hand and a small ball of pure white flame. It floated silently for a second before transforming into an elegant eyeless bird made entirely of white fire. The bird extended its tiny wings and flew around the girl's head as she giggled and did the same to Dylan, Liam, and Kana. It landed on Mavis' shoulder before dispersing into the air.

"So who's this Headmistress?"

Whim

"Hey that's pretty good! Real cute!" Kana grinned, playfully batting at the conjuration. "Does she have a name?" His face almost seemed to fall as it vanished.

"Well, knowing a little magic beforehand helps." Liam forced a little smile of encouragement at the pretty girl, but Dylan was entirely unmoved by the display. 

The boys lead Mavis through the gate and into the central courtyard. It consisted of well-manicured greenery, flowery gardens, and a menagerie of statues and fountains. At the very center of it all was an enormous oak tree with wide, gnarly branches. Today it was near deserted but for a few picnickers admiring the greenery. The term had not started yet, and most students were off lounging in their parents' estates or working farms.

No sooner had the children crossed the gate, then something stirred above. A pair of massive gargoyles, snarling demons, fixed their yellow eyes upon Mavis. "Don't worry about them. Only eat you if you step on the grass. Or if you step on-" Kana's face fell. "Red flagstones!" Indeed Mavis was.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Codex

Mavis chuckled when Kana complimented her little conjuration trick. "No, she doesn't." She said truthfully. Mavis did not really use this summon as often as she used to when she was younger. From what she could remember, the girl only called the bird "Birdy". It used to fly next to her as she explored the Hyotian tundra near her home, the flames keeping her warm even in the coldest of blizzards.

Mavis was willing to learn whatever she needed too, and she figured that following the boy's advice would be the first step to doing that. She followed them, admiring the surroundings as they drew nearer to the school. It was quite beautiful, and not exactly what she had expected. This was where her ancestors used to learn magic? Is this where their reputation all fell apart? Mavis wondered curiously as she admired a large gargoyle statue. Much to her surprise, the eyes began to glow and it came alive! She backed up suddenly, but smiled again as she was quite impressed with the magical creature... That was until the boy named Kana made mention of where she was standing.

Mavis didn't hesitate to step off the flagstone and put her hands in front of her! Without warning a massive protective dome formed around her and she braced for the worst.

Whim

The boys watched with placid expressions, Kanaliam darting back a foot, as Mavis erected the shimmering barrier. An eternity of seconds passed and nothing happened, except for Liam chewing his lip and Dylan rolling his eyes.

"Uh," Kana's smile fell, "Sorry. Its just a silly joke we tell new kids. They don't really eat you." There were of course of unpleasantries at Wyrdwood, but there was no sense in scaring her further.

No one walks up to Wyrdwood and just assumes they'll get admitted! It made Liam bristle just a bit. "Needing to walk on certain tiles doesn't seem like a good trap for spies anyway. All it takes is one person to share the secret. Plus if someone decided to be dumb and push kids off the path-"

Kana gave Liam a sharp nudge to shut him up. "Well your bird is cute anyway. I've never been able to summon an animal before. Mostly I do dirt and plants. Liam can make fake ones though! So that's close enough." It was like pulling teeth for Liam to compliment anything, so he would have to.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Codex

After a few seconds of nothing Mavis finally opened her eyes and noticed that almost nothing had changed. Other than the giggling of the few boys next to her she looked at them cautiously before turning to face the gargoyle and relaxing a bit. Her tense muscles fell a bit and she sighed, lowering her arms and letting the barrier dispel.

"That wasn't very funny..." She scowled at Kana. She honestly had no idea what to expect from this place, so she was sooner ready to believe that the gargoyles were living monsters as she was the sky was blue if someone told her... But of course now she'd need to get that faith checked. She swallowed the lump in her throat before awkwardly glancing at the other students looking at the commotion before sighing once again.

"Y- yeah it took me a little bit to learn how to summon her." Mavis admitted to Liam. She wasn't now sure what he was saying was truthful or not, but she mentally noted that there would likely be little gained from a harmless lie like that. "Do most of the other students here share your... sense of humor?" She asked them cautiously while her gaze wandered a bit to some of the others in the courtyard.

Whim

Kana's face grew hot. It was a joke! Now people were going to think he was terrible! "Um, sorry..."

Liam's expression darkened at Mavis' admonishment. It was a dumb joke, though Kana could be surprisingly sensitive. "Share our sense of humor? Mostly. Our roommate Arthor got a lisping hex in his food once. Couldn't say his R's for a week. You just got to check that sort of thing."

Mavis' barrier drew a few brief stares, more from the noise than anything, but soon everyone returned to business as usual. A pair of bespectacled wizards mozied across the green, some travelers from afar were unloading their goods from a pair of birds with rainbow plumage, and a gang of underclassmen stood around two girls exchanging bolts of purple fire.

"To answer your question Headmistress Nettlefield is in-charge. She is sort of a stickler for rules and things. Come on." They lead her across the path toward a crumbly old keep. Despite attempts to replace all the doors and windows the structure looked old, damp, and drafty. Lichen and moss covered its rough stone foundation.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: