Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Books and poems *ladi-dah ^.^*

Started by Anonymous, April 14, 2006, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

So while I'm not RP'ing, I'm writing up chapters for the books I wish to publish- hopefully soon here, I'm in my final editing stages-- and I also occassionally write some poems to vent when I need to.

Right now I'll post one of my chapters from the beginning of my first book (also the first book in the seires I'm making), Pandora-- and the series name is The Infinite Stone. Hope you like, feel free to comment ^_^
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifteen[/b]
Question: Why do we climb the mountain
if we are only kicked down once we reach the top?
Answer: To see how long we can stay
on top of the mountain next time.

- ‘Discussions with Eloria’,
   By AnukaArtreinan

Lord Dimor and the rest of his House came out of the Palace with rather shocked expressions for desert people. With quick eyes, many Lords caught the emotion Mortise was showing and they were confused by it. Was their High Lord finally getting too old and tired? He had made the point that they at least needed to find out if Geri was planning anything violent at all- however, since they were on a recently unknown planet, which was being attacked by Ro’Kihians for seemingly no reason, it did not seem as though they were up to anything innocent, either.

But he decision had been made and now all the Lords would go back to their homes and House homelands. They would not just go back to their everyday jobs, however- they would still prepare for a war. Just in case. Another Sigia could not happen again.
Dimor himself had never been in a situation such as this. He was quite young for a Lord, even an Outer Circle one, and had been considered a child when the Sigia was taking place. He had no family missing from it and the battlefronts had not been on his homeland. The people and land of his homeland were one of the few who stayed fairly separate from the rest of Su’Cantanna- they certainly felt the effects of the war as many went off to fight, but not nearly as much as some of the more Imperial cities felt it.

In Dimor’s homeland, life was already hard and the people fought everyday- against the very grounds they lived on. To newcomers, the desert was a constant enemy, trying to kill you and absorb your water, but to Dimor and most desert-dwellers, the desert was a constant tester, trying to make you prove your worth as though asking, “Why should you live?�.

House Scryteich was about the only thing connected the desert land to the rest of Su’Cantanna and the Empire. Dimor himself had not known much about the rest of his planet until he began to study to become a Lord. Dimor’s family, the Jlinixah’s, were already somewhat known and wealthy from being collectors and sellers of Arrumea- a Su’Cantanna-wide grainy substance that fueled everything from simple gliders to the great Filtervalcs. The Jlinixah family had been selling this rare-but-needed fuel to House Scryteich since they started their business (over ten generations), and the House felt obliged to keep them comfortable.

Dimor’s father would say it was only with this connection to the House that Dimor was allowed to be a Lord, but Dimor knew he worked very hard for the position, wanting to earn it, as he was sure his House would not be corrupt enough to accept him merely because they did business with his family. While there had been some that would have accepted him no matter what- for a bargain, perhaps, from his father- the House did indeed pick him to be an Outer Circle Lord because they thought he would do a good job.
It was not until now, however, that Dimor really felt what it was like to be a Lord.

While the High Lord had much power in what Su’Cantanna did and did not do, there still had to be consensus among the Houses when making decisions, and it was back there in the Lords Concave that all the Lords made one of the hardest decisions of their life. At the end of the vote, which reluctantly agreed with JuntaMortise, the High Lord did make comment that just because they were not going to war with Geri (for the moment), that did not mean Eloria’s actions could be controlled. He did not say anything further, but every House got the message and now there was more hope left.

The Great Lord of Dimor’s House came up behind the young Su’an and patted him on the back. “And now we see what you’re truly made of,� he said.

Dimor bowed his head, replying, “Yes, Lord Thian.�
The Great Lord gave a grave nod and walked ahead to the other Inner Circle Lords. Ahead, Dimor could see the main-entrance doors to the Palace opening for House Scryteich, the only Great House leaving to go back home so soon; most House’s stayed overnight at the Palace after Concave, being as some of the trips back to their lands were quite long and teleportation was mostly used for emergencies only. Dimor was not sure why his House was leaving so quickly, but strange times were coming over them all and so Dimor did not ask.

As Dimor began to make his way out of the Palace, two Royal Force Warriors seized him, just as they had this morning. Security was always strict within the Palace- or the capital city, Luxenverrtanna, itself, but ever since problems began to grow with Geri again, things were even worse. Dimor was obviously a member of House Scryteich, being he was dressed with them and walking with them, but since he was still fairly new, this even being his first time to the Palace, the Warriors seemed to take a particularly long time with him.

“I believe you checked me this morning,� Dimor said. The Warriors’ masks of apathy raised to look at him and though Dimor could not see them, their eyes seemed to burn into his.

In a hissing voice that all the RF Warriors seemed to have, one said, “We specifically were not on duty when you were supposedly checked and thus cannot be sure, Lord.�

Up ahead, Lord Leitan turned around and sighed as he saw Dimor being held up again. He excused himself from a conversation with the other Inner Circle Lords and walked back towards the Palace to where Dimor and the Warriors checking him where standing.

In a respectful tone, Leitan said to the Warriors, “He is with us, and I assure you he was checked this morning already.�

The Warriors stared at Leitan for a moment then finally released their hold on Dimor. Despite the distrust of the Warriors, Dimor head-bowed to them anyway as he walked off with Leitan; the Warrior continued to watch him carefully until he was too far away to see.

“I can’t take care of you forever,� Leitan said to Dimor.

Dimor frowned and said, “I don’t believe I’ve ever asked you to, Lord Leitan.�

“Hmph. Then you would have been there all night.�

“That I might have been,� Dimor said with a smile.

Leitan stared hard at the young Lord, but once again he seemed to be holding back a smile of his own. The Lords made their way across the Palace grounds, over to the small lake-port that took one to the mainland of Luxenverrtanna. A ways down from the lake-port, though, was a privet one reserved for those who needed to exit through the lake’s shield-gate and enter onto the ocean.

While normally one could take much faster transports than sail and Arrumea-run ships, House Scryteich had their own, personal ship that was almost custom to use by now. The Issinex, as it was called, was made of a black, korosin wood from the large tropical forests of Chimroonmoona. There were a few, thin gold designs on the edges of the boat and a black sail with the silver design of the Scryteich House.

The Lords ahead began to board the ship, shooing away Palace assistance that were meant to stand around in case any needed help on; the assistance hurried away with both annoyed and relieved expressions. Dimor finally boarded the ship himself and saw that the other Lords were already descending into the sublevels. Dimor took a moment to look around the ship, a sort of transportation object he was not used to spending his life in the desert. He watched the Scryteich sailors set up the archaic sails and the technicians checking the Arrumea levels, which, along with the engines, was what actually made the ship move and move fast.

Behind him, and then passing ahead, Dimor heard a hissing voice say, “Come!� Without looking, Dimor knew it was Leitan and he followed the figure ahead without comment, down into the first sublevel of the ship. It was dark in the halls below, the only lighting coming from other rooms or the occasional glow-globe. Dimor followed the slight rustle of robes and the dark figure ahead, which he assumed to be Leitan. The figure led him into a room Dimor had came in once before, on their trip to the Palace, where all the Lords sat at the sandstone table and discussed House matters.

Dimor saw Great Lord Thian already in his seat at the head, along with his Bonded, Lord Lyrina. The Great Lord had his eyes closed and silently held his Bonded’s hand while he waited for the other Lords to sit down. Once everyone was seated, Thian looked up and said, “The reason why we have left early is because I had received a message last night that someone interesting has come to our land to speak with us.� He paused, as though waiting for someone to ask who this interesting person was, but as expected, the Scryteich Lords waited patiently. “A Ro’Kihian Niyet,� he continued, “by the name of Sorrowfue.�

The Lords now straightened in slightly-shown surprise; they had, over many years, made contact with Ro’Kihians before, but had only succeeded in forming personal relationships with some of them. No one had ever gotten close enough to either a Ro’Kihian Horahâ€"leader, or a large enough group of Ro’Kihians that one could have influence among the race.

“What does a Niyet want with us?� Lord Lyrina asked, as it seemed that Thian’s own Bonded had not heard this news.

“He would not say while we were away,� Thian replied, “and that is why we are leaving now. For a Ro’Kihian to come at this time, when we have news of what they are doing on the unknown planet, is both exceedingly interesting and also potentially dangerous.�

“Where is he now?� a familiar hissing voice asked, owned by an Inner Lord with the name of Sothil Reateken. “Have the Marrowkore Guards sent any reply to you?�

Thian nodded. “The Chief Guard sent me the main message as well, telling me the Niyet came to our House and that the Guards are keeping him in a guest chamber. Three Guards stand by his door. In the message last night the Chief said he has been there for two days now and has so far made no attempt of violence or hostility. By no means does that mean for us to take our guard down though.�

Dimor had been sitting in a corner chair, sitting back into the shadows and listening silently, as Lord Leitan beside him was doing. In Dimor’s earlier days as a Lord, he had wondered why the entire House seemed to revere Leitan when Dimor had rarely seen him speak or even appear except for official meetings. It was not until Dimor had come to Leitan’s home with another Inner Lord that Dimor saw Leitan was a man of often silence but constant action. He was the warrior-Lord who knew how to work out problems fast and get anything done. Dimor wondered if the Lord had a plan for this situation, but he wondered if they needed to know what exactly this situation was.

â€œWe only have one day to talk to this Niyet,â€? Lord Thian was saying, “as apparently the Niyet needs to leave quickly.â€?

“Did he say why?� Sothil snapped.

“He did not say much,� Thian said calmly, “just enough to have me home quickly. I assume, however, he is either not suppose to be here... or his race has more urgent needs of him.�

“Well then,� Lyrina said conclusively, “I suppose there’s nothing more to discuss on the issue until we actually meet this Niyet.� The Lords rested back into their seats; they often took her words as seriously as they took Thian’s. Only Lord Sothil remained at the edge of his chair, studying Thian carefully.

Dimor noticed Sothil, but was somewhat used to such behavior out of the Lord- while Leitan took action, Sothil’s mind was always turning and thinking and planning. Dimor glanced to Leitan, but he saw the Inner Lord doing the same as Sothil, as though they thought Thian had more or should have more to say. Thian, however, seemed to have agreed with his wife and was now beginning to stand up to leave.

“That will be all for now,� Thian said, once he and his Bonded were standing. “You are all dismissed, if you please.� Then Thian and Lyrina took each other’s arms and walked out of the room.

The other Lords began to stand and leave as well, but as Dimor pushed back from the table, he felt Leitan grab his arm to make him stay. Apparently, the last Inner Lords- Leitan and Sothil, along with two Outer Lords, were staying. When the others had left and the five were alone, Sothil turned his calculating eyes to Leitan; Dimor expected the two were going to find something to disagree about with one another, as Leitan and Sothil often argued. It seemed since they were the only Inner Lords, besides the Great Lord’s Bonded, they had the authority to constantly test each other’s abilities.

After staring at each other for a moment though, and the two Outer Lords began talking quietly among each other, Sothil said quite softlyâ€"for him, “Perhaps the Ro’Kihian pride has broken. Maybe they realize the trouble they’re in... Or perhaps they were in trouble before, and such is the explanation to their recent actions.â€?

“Are you suggesting they’re asking for help?� Leitan asked curiously.

Sothil gave a Su’an shrug of his boney shoulders. “It would explain why they only sent a Niyet. It shows their reluctance and it’s a symbol that their leaders to not have time for such ‘unimportant’ tasks.â€? Sothil’s lips curled.

“But why would they come to us?� Dimor asked, jumping into the conversation now that Leitan had spoken. Sothil’s eye flicked up at the young Lord and Dimor continued quickly, “Is that not something the Queen or High Lord should hear of?�

Sothil’s eyes narrowed at Dimor, but he only shrugged again. “Perhaps they trust us more, we have connections with them. And we’re more like their peopleâ€"we’re desert people.â€?

The Issinex arrived at the docks of Semea Frya, Ahanarie Roki by dawn. Dimor woke up before anyone could tell him they were home as his body felt the ship cease movement. Sitting up on his bed, Dimor looked down at his dark chest and saw he was sweating. He had had a dream, but he couldn’t remember what it was. All he could think of was two red orbs with white all around them.

Running a hand through his sandy hair, Dimor stood up and saw his face was flushed and his dark eyes seemed to glow almost. Suddenly, there was a knock on his cabin door. “Come in,� he said, straining to stop his voice from shaking.

The door opened and Leitan stepped in, his mouth already open as though ready to shout something at Dimor, but when he saw the young Lord’s appearance he stopped. “What happened to you?� he said after a moment.

Dimor shook his head. “Nothing. Just had a bad dream, I guess.�

“Bad dream?� Leitan repeated with a doubtful expression. “You look sick. Do an IBC before you come out.� Leitan gave Dimor one last glance, and then stepped out, shutting the door behind him.

Dimor sat himself cross-legged on his bed and closed his eyes as he prepared for IBC- Inner Body Check. IBC was the simplified version of IBA- Inner Body Awareness, and a much less dangerous version of the inner-body abilities as well. Only the most skilled of the mind could somewhat safely perform IBA, and even then their attempts on mentally adjusting their own mind and body could be hazardous, even deadly. IBC simply allowed one to mentally scan their body for any active viruses, wounds, poisons and such.  

Dimor let his body relax and cut out all outward sounds, smells and feeling from his awareness. His dark eyes began to roll to the back of his head and his body gave little ticks and jerks- but only for a moment, before Dimor became completely relaxed and limp. His body looked as though it was being suspended by unseen wires, for it sat so limp on would have thought it should have fallen backwards, forwards or to a side. Inside, Dimor was barely conscious at all, only enough so not to fall into a short coma and wake himself up when the IBC process was finished. Almost his entire mind was concentrated on scanning the body and then sending a sort of report to Dimor memory, where Dimor could review the ‘report’.

After only a few moments, the process was complete and Dimor reopened his eyes. He found the memory of the report and stared at his bed while he thought through it; there seemed to be nothing physically wrong with him, however. He wasn’t sick, poisoned or drugged in any way. Dimor shook his head. It was just a dream. He wondered why he couldn’t remember it if it had such a large affect on him, though maybe it wasn’t a dream that made him feel this way.  

Before Dimor could think of what could have made him feel sick, he heard voices in the halls outside. The Lords were waking up and walking around now, preparing to leave the ship, no doubt. Dimor stood up and put on his terrick-robe and pants, but found he had left his teafla boots at home. The only other form of footwear Dimor could find was the silken Drishore-dree boots, which Dimor reluctantly shoved on after a final look around his cabin. Then grabbing his traveling bag, Dimor stepped out into the hall and found he might have been the first to wake up, but he was the last leaving. Dimor ran to the stairs that led up to the main deck, slowing down only when he reached the top and saw the other Lords.

Leitan looked around when he heard Dimor come up the stairs and he signaled the young Lord over. “You look a little better,� Leitan said when Dimor was beside him.

“It was just a dream,� Dimor said, not really believing himself. “Body report said I was fine.�

“What was this dream about?� Leitan asked.

Dimor opened his mouth and then closed it. “I can’t remember,� he said at last.

“You can’t remember a dream that made you look as though you might vomit?�

Dimor shook his head. “I guess not.� He wanted to leave it at that, but he saw Leitan’s bronze eyes still lingering on him. “Maybe some of the food from the Palace didn’t agree with me,� he suggested.

Leitan looked away, saying, “Your body report would have shown that.�

“I’m not sure then, Lord Leitan. I don’t think it’s important though- not as important as our meeting with the Niyet.�

“Only the Great Lord is seeing the Niyet,� Leitan grumbled.

Dimor snapped his eyes to Leitan. “What?�

“We- the Inner Circle Lords, that is- have just been told that Thian received a message from the Niyet who said he would only meet with the Great Lord. No other Lords and no Guards.�

“No guards?� Dimor whispered. “That’s insane- what does the Niyet expect?�

“I don’t know,� Leitan said wearily, “but the Great Lord has agreed.�

Dimor was shocked, but tried not to show it. “With no Guards?�

“The Niyet claims he will come unarmed and he has already come alone.� Leitan appeared to grow more irritated as he spoke.

“Ro’Kihians are dangerous,� Dimor said softly, “even one.�

“Dangerous, but perhaps not fatal. Not with only one, at least.� Before Dimor could speak anymore, Leitan held up his hand for silence as the other Lords began talking about something.

Dimor heard, but didn’t listen. He was eager to get off the ship and step back onto his golden land. Finally, he saw the ship was fully docked and auto-ramps were sliding out from the ship. The Outer Circle Lords waited for the Inner Circle’s to step off first and then followed. When Dimor stepped off the dock and onto the sandy pathways, he saw the Inner Circle Lords around Thian, apparently trying to make the Great Lord reconsider. Thian shook all but Lyrina off and took time saying a longer goodbye to his Bonded before he stepped into a transport vehicle and was driven away.

“He should at least carry a concealed weapon,� Dimor heard Lord Sothil say, as the young Lord came closer to the three Inner Circle Lords. “A normal Ro’Kihian,� Sothil continued, “proves a difficult fight as it is, but a Niyet- they’re trained for wars, almost holy wars.�

“Like the Queen’s Sacred Force Warriors?� Leitan muttered.

“Worse, I believe,� Lyrina replied quietly. Unlike the males, Lyrina appeared more concerned than aggravated. She looked out in the direction Thian’s transport had taken off too and stood still for a few moments.

After Sothil had walked off, Leitan looked to Lyrina and said, “You’re planning.�

Lyrina looked up at him. “I was just thinking.�

“I know, that’s what I meant. You’re thinking. Things happen after you think.� Leitan chuckled a little.

“What do you mean?� Lyrina asked quickly.

“I mean,� Leitan said, “when you get ideas into your head, you rarely let go until you are satisfied. What is it you’re dwelling on now?�

Lyrina turned back to look at the desert. “What could happen... and who will become the Great Lord if anything does,� she said after a moment.

Leitan wasn’t one for consoling, but Dimor saw him try by patting Lyrina’s arm. “He’ll be fine. And if something does happen, you won’t need to worry on that- the Queen and High Lord won’t let someone incompetent in the position.�

“But these are strange times, Leitan,� Lyrina said, folding her dark arms. “The Gerians-“

“I have trust in the Queen and High Lord,� Leitan said. “Not in all the centuries that they’ve been with us have they let us down. Not even in moments of some of the greatest strife.�

The other transports finally drove up for the rest of the Lords. Leitan, Lyrina and Sothil climbed into the small one in the front, while Dimor and many other Lords chose from the five, larger transports. Together, the vehicles took off in the same direction Thian had gone, to the Scryteich House. Though the House was quite far from the docks, being in the center of Semea Frya, the transports were fast and had the Lords to their house in less than a sao.

While Ahanarie Roki’s main city was a rather mezmerizing one for being made of rough, tan and white withstand-sand materials, House Scryteich was obviously the gem of Semea Frya. The outside of the House was made of a pearly rock that came from the depths of the deserts of Ahanarie Roki. In the depths, sandstorms ate away at some of the cliff and mountain surfaces, smoothing them out into the shiny, pale stone one sees on the House. The House’s shape was that of shell-like creature, which made a 180 degree curve and domed at the center, while growing smaller into two tails at the end.

After the transports had pulled up, the Lords stepped out and saw that Thian had not yet entered the House- or the Sytra, as the desert Su’ans called it, simply meaning ‘place of respect’. Thian had apparently been asked to remain with a group of the Marrowkore Guards, while the Chief Guard went it to prepare a room and double and triple check the Niyet for any weapons.

As Dimor began to walk towards the House, he felt his body being pulled aside by no other than Leitan, who was still standing among Lyrina and Sothil. Dimor shook his arm a little and turned to give Leitan an annoyed look, but thought better of it and instead turned his attention to Lord Thian, who was now coming towards them and the other Lords.

“You may all enter the Sytra, of course,� Thian said to them all. “I will only need a moment’s privacy within my quarters to meet with the Niyet. I ask that none of you try to listen or use some form of security to interrupt that privacy, however. I need as much trust from the Niyet as possible.� After that, two Marrowkore Guards stepped beside Thian and the Great Lord was led into House Scryteich.

“Come,â€? Sothil hissed to the other Inner Circle Lords- and Dimor too, he assumedâ€"and began to walk towards the House.

Niyet Sorrowfue paced the hall that sat right in front of the Great Lord’s study. His ash-blue face held a look of worry, which he was not doing as good of a job as normal to cover up. At times he wondered why he had even come- that he shouldn’t have come, but when he tried to think of leaving he felt even more cowardly.

He could not let what he had seen on his planet continue, and he was ashamed his leaders had. He knew most of his fellow Niyets hated what was going on and he was sure at least some of the Allayets and Horahs did, yet they did nothing and let themselves be trampled on- Sorrowfue thought his race would have died before letting such a thing occur.

Sorrowfue heard a door open down the hall and saw it was the Great Lord- coming alone, as Sorrowfue had asked. The Niyet stopped his pacing and stood tall and still. He raised an ash-blue hand to his mouth to see if it was still covered by the moist-trapping cloth; feeling that it was, he left it that way, feeling it was best to show as little of himself as possible, at first. Sorrowfue studied the Lord as he came closer; a tall, almost gaunt man with dark skin and golden-brown hair. The Su’an had come in a simple, terrick-robe, a style that differed much from the Lord’s northern brethren.

“You are the Great Lord of Scryteich?� Sorrowfue rasped in Common Galactic, after the Su’an had stopped in front of him.

“I am,� Thian replied in Common. “You are the Niyet Sorrowfue.� This was not a question- who else would the bluish-skinned, red-eyed visitor be? “Please,� Thian continued, “let us sit in my study.� The Great Lord produced an ancient-modeled key from a pocket Sorrowfue could not see. Thian unlocked his door and held it open for the Niyet first, then followed in, closing the door behind him. “I hope I have not kept you waiting too long,� Thian said as he took a seat behind his desk.

“I have been here for three days, that is all,� Sorrowfue said, remaining standing. “I was offered an acceptable room and you arrived much earlier than I expected; I has hoped you wouldn’t stay long at the capital city.�

Thian nodded, then thought it best to get to the point. “Now what is it I can help you with? Your message had a hint of urgency to it... perhaps even secrecy?�
Sorrowfue hesitated and glanced around the room as though searching for methods of being overheard.

“We are not being listened to,� Thian said after a moment. “I assure you. Unless, that is, one of my Lords have disobeyed me, but if they did things like that, they wouldn’t be a Lord, thus I doubt any of them would disobey me.� Thian often used phrases like this when referring to his Lords.

“Perhaps,� Sorrowfue rasped. “Do you trust your decision on the choice of the Lords you have chosen, so much?�

“I trust the final decision of my High Lord’s choices,� Thian replied. “He has not made a grave mistake in his rule so far.�

“Except not destroying Geri,â€? the Niyet saidâ€"a remark that had Thian sit up even straighter. “Though I can see the dishonor,â€? Sorrowfue added.

Thian did not respond as the Niyet paused, and he waited for Sorrowfue to continue.
After a moment, the Niyet did go on. “You must learn the difference between dishonor and necessity, though. If Geri was gone, I would not have to be here today.â€? Sorrowfue stopped. While he had come to give information to the Su’an Great Lord, he also wanted to keep as much information as possible to himselfâ€"after all, he was technically betraying his race right now, though in his mind their and his death would be better than what they were living through now. He thoughtâ€"he knew they felt the same. They had to, or they would no longer be truly his people.

When Thian thought the Niyet would say no more for the moment, the Great Lord said, “But Geri is not gone and you are here- why?�

Sorrowfue frowned under his mouth-cloth and shot his crimson eyes up at Thian. “To give you information on Geri.�

“Which would be?� Thian asked, a little too quickly than what he thought was wise.

“The Gerians have come...� Sorrowfue paused again, then decided to keep his people out of it. He knew the Su’ans might learn of his planet’s involvement from the information he was giving out now, but at least he would not be speaking of the knowledge directly. “The Gerians are on a planet almost opposite to my system, to the west. It is a planet your Empire has not conquered- not even seen.�

Thian raised his eyebrows in fake interest. “Oh? And you would know this how?�

Sorrowfue furrowed his brow. “That is the wrong question,� he hissed. It does not matter how I know, what matters is the information. Even my race, as separated as we out from the Universe, have heard of your public trouble with Geri- not just of the Sigia. They have been accusing you of things and now the already uneasy peace between you two is beginning to crumble again.�

There was now an odd tone to the Niyets voice, as if he was beginning to enjoy the conversation a little now. At the same time, Thian could still hear the initial anxiety and nervousness, and a nervous Ro’Kihian was not something one would want to be around. If a Ro’Kihian thought their emotions were getting in the way too much, they could adjust their form-of-thinking into something overly logical, and that could prove dangerous. Thian thought of how he could get the Niyet to be more comfortable and relax.

“Please take a seat,� Thian said, motioning to a chair in front of his desk. “Seeing you stand makes me... forgive me, but a little nervous.� This was somewhat a lie- it wasn’t the standing that was bothering Thian, but he thought if he shared some of his own ‘hidden feelings’ that it might open the Niyet up a bit and make him feel not so alone.

Sorrowfue looked at the chair for a moment until finally sitting down.

“Now,� Thian continued, “what is so important about Gerians being on a planet that has escaped our attention?�

Sorrowfue blinked at the Great Lord as thought he was crazy. Even though no specific information had yet been given, the fact that the Su’ans’ most dangerous enemy were on a planet that had gone undetected for so long should have shocked the Great Lord. Clearly, Sorrowfue thought, the Lord was doing a very good job of the Su’an Stone Face- hiding their emotions.

“There are many things to consider from this information,� Sorrowfue said. “One is simply the fact that you haven’t known about this planet some how, for Shikia knows how long. And how long have the Gerians been there, undetected, and why? They could have been doing so many things, things you wouldn’t have been able to snoop into if you had never known they were there.�

“But do you know specifically why they are there?� Thian asked calmly, trying to appear fairly uninterested, hoping to cause the Niyet to spill more in order to arouse the Great Lord. At the same time, Thian did not want to seem rude or unappreciative of the information, so he merely leaned forward on his desk a little.

Sorrowfue thought of Thian’s question for a moment, before answering shortly, “Not I, I am just a Niyet. Perhaps an Allayet would know, but they would not tell me, only the Horahsâ€"but do not ask any of them about this.â€?

“Why not?� Thian asked.

“Becauseâ€"if they would not tell one of their soldiers, then they would not tell you, and trying to bother them about it would only anger themâ€"not only towards you, but towards me as well. However, I came here to help, not to get disposed of.â€? The Niyet growled the last phrase, slightly.

While Thian has suspected it, he know knew why the Niyet was being so secretive- not necessarily because he was around a race not his own, but more so because apparently the Niyet’s superiors did not want him or anyone here, or speaking of this. Thian now dropped his Stone Mask, in a display of genuineness, and said in a low and sincere tone, “Tell me what you can, Niyet. I swear, under Allina, I will not speak of this at all to your superiors, nor will I tell others here or elsewhere of the name or title of my source.�

The Niyet narrowed his pupils at the Great Lord, but detected no lying, and this was no Gerian with their damnable mind tricks. Finally, Sorrowfue nodded. “What I can....�

--- © ---