Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Give and Take Sort of Thing [Icy]

Started by schwaff, October 26, 2018, 04:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schwaff

"Easy there! Bring her in nice and easy!"

Timbers and ropes creaked and strained in turn as the Desiderata was pulled to her new moorings in Cerenis. Along the decks of the ship, sailors tied ropes to the bollards along Desiderata's top deck, eager to get ashore. With a soft thump, the ship settled against the dock, and gangplanks banged into place, allowing the crew to disembark, which they did in grand and chaotic fashion, with tens of men swarming ashore to spend their dubiously-acquired coin.

A smartly-dressed man waited on the docks, holding a large leather-bound book, scanning the deck of the ship, his eyes settling on Toquato, who had just begun to make his way down the gangplank.

The pirate captain approached the man on the docks, holding out a gloved hand.

"The harbormaster, I presume? Capitano Torquato della Testa d'Oro, at your service. Salutations and tidings."

The harbormaster nodded curtly, giving Torquato's hand a firm shake. "Same to you captain." The harbormaster flipped his book open, producing a quill from one of his pockets. "What cargo are you carrying, captain?"

"Clothing, textiles, dyes, silver and gold bullion, and -- I believe -- two casks of Connalaothian ales."

The harbormaster raised a quzzical eyebrow as Torquato spoke, still penning down the content's of the ship's hold, his eyes drifting over Torquato's clothing, the two pistols strapped to his chest, the large sword at his hip, and the general ruffian-ness of his crew.

"Tonnage?"

"Of the ship?"

"Yes, Captain."

"Can't rightly say. Shall we call it around-"

"What exactly" the harbormaster cut in, "is it that you do, Captain?"

"I'm a merchant, signore."

"Quite the diverse wares you have."

"Oh, certainly, signore. I am quite the entrepreneur, I am told."

As he spoke, Torquato would reach into his greatcoat pocket, pulling out a sizable sack of coins. 

"I hope this will more than cover the costs for the privilege of docking in your harbor, signore."

The harbormaster mutely accepted the sack of coin, nodding knowingly as he tucked the bag into his own coat pocket. "Of course, Captain. Forgive my prodding."

"Not a problem, harbormaster. In fact, you can easily right this wrong. If you would be kind enough to tell me where I could, perhaps, offload some of my 'merchandise' to potential buyers, I would be most grateful to you."

The harbormaster's stoic exterior cracked for just a moment, revealing a wry smile. "I believe I can direct you to some potential buyers."

"Much appreciated, signore."

A few hours later, Torquato would barge into one of the seedier seaside taverns of Cerenis, immediately scanning the patrons for a face matching the description the harbormaster had given him: short, green, and with a shock of pink hair. Hopefully easy enough to find, even in the dark confines of the tavern.

Icy

It didn't take Torquato to find the green runt. Atop a booster seat at one of the booths among a gaggle of laughing and cheering sailors she stood, head tilted back as her tiny hands poured a flagon of ale down her gullet, plenty of it dripping down her cheeks and onto her clothes, but she eventually managed it despite being such a tiny thing! Slamming it against the table and declaring her victory with a loud burp that broke the cacophony of voices in the room, everyone in her party gave a cheer!

Still, she looked serviceable and not too drunk. At least not yet.

Wiping her mouth on the sleeve of her cloak, she noticed a man staring at her from the corner of her eyes. "Gotta go fer now, boys! Have an extra drink in my loving memory, won'cha?" She laughed, hopping down from her boosted seat to the ground, which she landed on very precariously, hopping several times on her right foot before she finally caught her balance.

"Whew. Gotta ask for somethin' watered down next time if I wanna keep up with those lugs, am I right?" Jys snickered as she approached Torquato. "Aaaanyways. Yer th' guy ol' Baynard told me about, yeah? Come with me," She turned around and walked toward a booth, whether he followed or not.

When they reached a booth seat at the corner of the bar that already had a booster seat waiting for her, she hopped up and sat down at a height more or less equal to Torquata. Pausing as a bar wench delivered some ales for the two of them, Jys asked when she left, "So. What can I do for ya, boy?" Her regular talking voice less grating on the ears, perhaps even lovely if it wasn't for her accent, which was hard to place. It sounded like the culmination of all seafaring and less-than-savory folk around the continent. "Baynard mentioned ya wanted ta sell."

schwaff

Torquato followed Jys with a small grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. He hadn't quite expected the fence to be so... small of stature. He refrained from any comment, though, letting the pint-sized smuggler take the lead. He'd take his seat at the booth opposite Jys, raising his eyebrows both at the pre-set booster seat, and her manner of address. He hadn't been called 'boy' in quite some time. He'd pull his ale close to him, taking a small sip before speaking.

"I am looking to sell, yes, ladrhetta. I've come into possession of some fine Connlaothian clothing, you see. Ballgowns, dresses, the fancy breeches with the nice stitch-work that they make, some overcoats..."

He'd tug at the collar of his own coat, indicating it's pilfered status.

"...as well as some cloth, dyes, and some gold and silver for good measure. I was under the impression that you could help me dispense of these things. For a price of course."

He'd cap off his spiel with a healthy swig from his flagon, downing nearly half the ale in one fell swoop.

Icy

"Yeah, o' course. For a price," She repeated the latter part as though it was music to her ears. "I can make 'em go away for ya. See, these Serenians just love their imported goods! Foreign clothes, art, they eat it up like that's guy's eatin' his steak," She motioned toward a man at a nearby table who was holding steak as he ripped massive chunks from it with his teeth.

"So, price'll depend on how ya wanna go about it. You can gimme a price an' I'll take 'em offa yer hands right now, 'n whatever I make offa sellin' 'em's all mine. Or, if ya want ta take the longer, more lucrative route, I'll give 'em ta my guy, he'll sell 'em at his place, an' I'll take forty percent o' yer profits as commission an' send you the rest if ya've already left port by that time."

"Don't worry that it sounds like I'm takin' a lot, these wealthy Serenians are total saps, like I said! You'll be makin' a healthy profit. 'Course, before any o' this I'll wanna examine yer goods in person ta make sure I ain't buyin' shit that the moths've eatin' through already. Oh, an' I ain't takin' anythin' with any stains, either. Last time I tried ta pass one off as part o' the design, I nearly got thrown in a well wit' a rock tied around my ankle. Damn that Priscilla... bitch wasn't as sappy as I thought," She muttered that last part.

She took a sip of her ale to wet her mouth after talking so much. She really talked a lot. Too much, probably. "Oh, and yer cloths, dyes 'n whatever's easy enough. They take a lot longer ta sell though, so I'd recommend my first payment plan. Cash out early."

"Besides all that, I'm gonna need a down payment fer gettin' this stuff through customs. Bastards drive a hard bargain 'round here."

schwaff

"I travel quite often." Torquato replies airily, taking down another sizeable sip of ale. "I believe your first 'payment plan' will be just fine. I would rather get back to sea sooner rather than later. And I wouldn't want you to get thrown down another well before you finished selling off my wares."

He finishes his drink, sliding his tankard back to the center of the table, smacking his lips, some small clusters of foam clinging to his beard.

"Yes, I believe the first option is best. I'll name my price once you've inspected the goods. I'm sure you'll find them to be in excellent condition, save for perhaps some stray powder and shot. I acquired them not three nights ago."

"What did you have in mind for this 'down payment', if you'll pardon such a question. I am not a man of numbers, ladrhetta. I am sure you understand." 

Icy

"Hey, that's almost thrown down a well!" She corrected him with a snicker followed by a sip of her drink that she nearly spit out. "Not a man of numbers? You should get a financier or somethin' ta do the talking for you. Can't imagine how much you've been robbed of from people in my line o' work. Not that I'm in the business o' screwin' my clients outta money, o' course." Not all of them, at least, She thought to herself.

"Aaaanyways, I'll tell ya the fee once I've seen yer stock. It's probably gonna be kinda high since they're Connlaothian goods an' folks around Serendipity don't care for those guys," She shrugged.

"So, ya wanna show 'em to me now? I'll inspect 'em and if everything's in order, I can buy 'em by tonight 'er tomorrow mornin'... just one second," She raised a finger to him. Taking her tankard in both hands, the goblin lifted it to her lips and began to chug it. Beneath her coat, her stomach became visibly rounder the more she drank. Finishing the drink with a loud belch, she patted her belly and let out a sigh.

"Kay, I'm all good now! Show me the stuff!" She hopped down from the seat, bouncing three times on her left foot before she was able to steady herself. "Woahoho, now I'm feelin' it," She grinned. "Now, after you, my good man."

schwaff

Torquato rose as Jys did, with very little in the way of a sway in his step. He briefly thanked his blessings that he was over four feet tall, then began his march out of the tavern, casting an occasional side(and down) eye towards Jys, making sure she was keeping her feet.

"I never saw the need for financier, to be frank. If I get fleeced, it only means I get to work more. Nothing wrong with that. And it is not often I'm trading in clothes, you see. Odd circumstances."

The pair would be able to make decent time down to the docks, provided Jys was able to keep her balance (and avoided any nearby wells).

The Desiderata was right where Torquato left her, still moored to the docks, with the few members of her crew that hadn't disembarked moving around the topdecks, minding their own affairs. I few sailors leaned over the railing, waving their greetings to their captain, and keeping a careful eye on the visitor.

Torquato made his way to the gangplank, and began to march up to the deck.

"Be careful you do not slip, ladrhetta! I'd hate to begin this transaction of ours with a rescue attempt!" 

Icy

"Whaaat? But you've gotta keep yer boys well fed and with full coin purses! They're the ones who're gonna fleece you if they can't afford a stay at the bordello when ya make port. Not everyone's as thrilled ta get back ta sea as you are."

She was able to keep her footing, though the more she spoke, the more her words began to get slurred. She had to make a rest stop behind some bushes at one point, as well, returning with a normal-sized belly afterward. The goblin also managed to avoid wells this time. Yay!

Jys whistled upon seeing the galleon, "Now that's a gorgeous ship! Let's see... hard ta say where it'sh from. That means it originates in the Siculid League, but it sure ain't part of it anymore," She chuckled, amber eyes scanning the people within hearing range to make sure they couldn't hear. She spoke in a more subdued tone, "Mismatched cannonsh're the giveaway," She pointed at the ones sitting atop the deck and poking out of the side-holes. "No way a vessel from those greedy Siculids who needa make grands statements o' wealth would put up with that sorta dishorder... eh, but this ain't a flagship, so I could be wrong," She shrugged. "Still, think I got an eye for this sorta thing."

Wobbling toward the gangplank, Jys waved her wrist to deflect the comment. "I've walked up gangplanks blackout drunk an' never--" She slipped and nearly fell overboard, her face turning a sickly pale(er) green. "...Alright, alright, I'll watch my feet." She looked down at her tiny boots as she made her way up the plank and let out a relieved sigh as she made it safely on board.

Eyeing up the Desiderata's sailors as they watched her with equally suspicious eyes, Jys made her way toward the lower deck. "Alright. If you've already written down yer stock it'll make things a whole lot easier, but I wanna see what I'm dealin' with either way. Oh. And you got any clothes fer those of us strugglin' with height down there? Hard ta come by anythin' that fits that wasn't made fer a goddamn six year old human," The goblin grumbled as she rubbed her tiny hand through her puffy, pink ponytail.

schwaff

Torquato regards Jys with a small smile as she breaks down the design of the ship, with the smile widening into a full-blown smirk as she points out the mismatched cannons. The sailors on the deck would whisper and mutter to one another, gesturing at the ship's newest visitor.

Once Jys had successfully navigated the gangplank without falling into the drink, Torquato would lead her below decks, taking off his big hat off his head as he entered the bowels of the ship.

"I do not believe we have a running record of our wares. As I said, we do not have many men of numbers aboard. I do know an approximate amount of our holds, however."

Torquato would lead Jys through the lower holds of her ship, taking her through the upper gunnery deck. Towards the back of the ship, the pair would find the holds, a well stocked miniature warehouse, piled high with crates and chests of various shape and size. Torquato would march to the back of the hold, and smack one of the crates with his right hand, gesturing to a cluster of four of the boxes, all of which had a small coat of arms branded into them.

"These are the textiles. The other two dozen or so are all clothes." Torquato gestures deeper into the stacks of crates, making a waving motion with his hand. "Further in, there are a half-dozen boxes of dyes and paints, and two casks of ale. I can call some of my men down if you want to inspect the wares further in."

Torquato strides back to the entrance to the storeroom, picking up a crowbar that until then had leaned against the doorframe. The pirate would then move back to the boxes, holding the crowbar as he looked down at Jys.

"Perhaps we will find something that fits you, even. Feel free to take some as payment for services rendered."

Icy

"Ehh, figures you wouldn't. A goblin can dream, though," She sighed, wobbling a bit as she was led through the lower decks. When she was shown the crates with textiles, she nodded, "I'd like ta take a peek at all of 'em. Clothes, textiles, paints, whatever ya wanna sell ta me. Yer men can open the crates, but don't let any of 'em touch the wares wid' their grubby fingers. No offense. Can't have the products gettin' all dirty or greased up."

Snatching the crowbar from Torquato, Jys set it under the lid of the closest box of textiles and pried for dear life to get it up, but even her full weight with her feet dangling above the floor wasn't enough to pry it open. "Nnngh... hurr... give me a hand, boy!"

schwaff

Torquato blinks once or twice, looking at his hands and under his nails in response to Jys' comment. After the moment has passed, he stoops down to Jys' height, and pushes down on the crowbar, popping the top off the crate, and revealing the goods within.

This box seems to be dedicated to pants, with layers upon layers of doublets sitting atop one another, folded neatly. The ones near the top of the pile seem to be in good enough condition, with little to no fraying or holes. However, the further down in the pile they got, the more and more disheveled the clothes became, culminating in a few threadbare rags lying at the bottom of the box.

Toquato grimaced as he saw the goods, looking over the rest of the boxes in the hold with a frown on his face.

"That is unfortunate. I was hoping they would be nicer." 

Torquato lets out a snort, turning his head away from Jys and the crate to spit a sizeable ball of spit onto the storoom floor.

"What do you think I --you-- can get for these, then?"

Icy

Jys made a similar face as she saw the condition the clothes toward the bottom were in. "Well... I think I could make a decent amount sellin' the ones on top, but I'll hafta lower the ones at the bottom. As I see it, only peasants 'n their kind'll have half a mind ta buy this crap. I wanna see the other crates too, so just open 'em up."

Assuming they were all opened for her, Jys went through and inspected them all. Assuming the rest of the crates had contents similar to the first, the goblin returned to Torquato with a sigh. "Yer paints an' stuff are in good condition, still wet, but half of yer clothes're pretty much unsellable! And here, ya had me thinkin' you were sittin' on a treasure trove," She grumbled.

"Well, it's probably gonna cost ya a couple hundred ta get all these crates through customs, so we'll say two hundred 'n fifty. After that, I can offer ya..." She rubbed her chin for a few moments. "A thousand fer everything, so I'll pay ya seven fifty. Nice, round numbers. Can't really go any higher if I wanna turn a profit sellin' it off, but you can be on yer way as soon as yer guys unload 'em onto the docks, seven hundred 'n fifty gold richer. Whad'dya say?" She asked, extending her tiny green hand to seal the offer.

schwaff

Torquato seemed to consider it a moment, rubbing his beard with a closed hand, quirking his eyebrow up.

In reality, there wasn't much to think about. The goblin was right. This haul was nowhere near as lucrative as he had initially hoped, and he'd need to be pushing off soon if he wanted to be making a profit at any point in the near future.

After a few seconds of pretending to think, Torquato stooped over a bit, shaking Jys' little hand, his own gloved fingers enveloping Jys' whole hand.

"You have a deal, miss. I will order my men to take the goods ashore for you. Thank you for your... patronage."