Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Directed, but Still Directionless

Started by Anonymous, April 18, 2006, 11:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Well after the sun went down, Ormand plunked himself into a wooden chair with his hand clamped over a flagon of warmed ale.  He hadn't tried it yet, but he had high hopes.  Cold climates tended to cause people to brew stronger drinks.  He tipped it back and let it just pour down his throat, a welcome feeling after the icy winds from before.  He'd almost skipped into town after they'd crested a snowbank and seen a full out settlement.  Oris was more than obviously freezing, not having nearly the temperature tolerance of his half dwarven summoner, so the tavern they found shortly afterward with the roaring fire would be good for him, too.

The ale was good, passable at least, and not as strong as dwarven lagers, but good anyway.  Maybe he was just misjudging.  It might take him a few more to be able to truly appreciate it.  He set down the flagon, now empty, and looked Oris, who was across from him at the table, in the dull golden eye.  "If we can git yer spirits back up wit some spirits, maybe I can git some solid information out o ye.  Ye might just want ta start talkin, and I'll tell ye if I don't need ta hear somethin and for ye ta move on."  He tapped his forehead, "Like, first, I'd like to know where I am.  When the sun went down, I only saw but one moon, and tha's queer enough for mentionin in my book, at this point."

Anonymous

Traditional human folklore claimed that demons were rampant pyromaniacs, Oris tried not to dwell on that thought at the moment though. The irony didn't amuse him and he'd known enough demons that didn't revel in fire, hell some that feared fire. If only his brain would leave him alone so he could enjoy the fire. He was tempted to rub his arms, but remembered some healer saying that rubbing frozen limbs could pop the ice crystals or something similar. All that ice crystal nonsense could go to his mind's abyss with the fire-loving demon yarn.

Oris sighed, feeling a sensation he imagined a block of ice felt if it were left out in the sun, and it had the faculties to experience such. He leaned back in his chair and smiled a little, letting himself relax as much as he could in the tavern's stiff wooden chair. Right now he was fine with the fire roaring at his back, but Ormand's suggestion of 'spirits' wasn't sounding too bad either. Liquor was supposed to burn on the way down and his insides could use a good burning.

Speaking of Ormand, he was giving him quite the penetrating look.

Oh, they were supposed to talk once they got someplace warm. Oris blushed a bit and sat up straighter, he could go back to melting once they were through talking seriously.

Oris tilted his head to the side when the paladin asked where he was. He wasn't quite dull enough to tell him that he didn't know the name of the town he was in, but having one moon hanging in the sky didn't seem as queer to Oris as it did to Ormand. The fire crackled temptingly enough for Oris to abandon thinking the notion to death. "You're on the Earth. I'm not sure what part of it, but my best guess would be that we're in the northernmost parts of it. The last place I was, wasn't quite so cold yet."

Oris folded his hands on the table and stared down at them for a moment. "Forgive me, I'm not sure where to begin. I want to tell you what you want to know but I've never been fond of talking people's ears off."

Anonymous

"Aye, earth always be what I'm on, but what's the name o this place.  Sud'Ni's two moons aren't what I see hangin out there right now, which only leads me to believe tha' Gorthen's interference with RenDe and Lorya's battle ended me up much further from the country o Oblivian than I first though'."  

He paused to wave down a bar wench and order a few more mugs, one for Oris.  That done, he turned back to his haplessly chilly angel, "Secondly, I'd like to know what happened back there in the ice.  Ye sounded like you wanted to tell me somethin important, but all o sudden ye collapsed on me.  Not to mention tha', but while ye were passed out, a fair lass who could only have been a real angel appeared and left without a hesitation after tellin me where to find a town.  I'd love ta know what tha' was all about."  The bar wench returned with the order, and Ormand slid a slightly steaming mug over to Oris.

Anonymous

Oris was never fond of alcohol, but the twirling vapors that floated from the cup Ormand was nudging toward him were improving his opinion of it. What harm could it be to have a warm drink? One alcoholic drink couldn't hurt him, in fact the warmth might do him good. "Thank you," Oris said softly as he reached for the mug and sipped at it. It was warm! Pleasantly so, and also a little tangy. Not being familiar with alcohol he wasn't sure if that was normal or not, but decided it wasn't important enough to bring up.

Now to answer those questions. They certaintly weren't simple, that was certain.

He should have guessed that he'd misinterpret this realm's name... how could the mortals give their world such a bland name? He took a deeper sip of the steaming brew and pushed it aside, leaning forward and resting his hands on the table. "There are some in Heaven that call this world Assiah. It... has many names and one is simply Earth."

He needed another drink before he went about answering the next question. Oris all but gulped the ale and slid the mug aside again. "I... I do that from time to time. I'm not entirely sure what causes those attacks, but I think they're a side effect of my falling from grace. I am... I was a holy creature, it doesn't seem unlikely that the taint of evil would wrack my body.

I don't know any angels that would help me. They would have been ordered not to... What did this... lass look like?."

And is she truly an angel? Oris finished mentally. He'd seen enough demons that could pass for angels; the lord Sargatanas was created just for the purpose. A demon would have every reason to seem like it was assisting him, while in truth dragging him further down the pit to damnation. He could only hope that Ormand named the features of a familiar angel.

Oris reached for the mug again and took another sip, barely drinking the brew but letting it brush against his lips.

Anonymous

"Ah, I see now."  Ormand shrugged at his mistake, "Tha's a rather bland name, though I suppose it's easy ta remember.  As fer yer 'attacks', I'd offer ta restore some o tha holy fer ye, but I'm anae sure wha' tha' would do fer me own standin' with heaven."  He ran a palm over his short beard before adjusting the braided pony tail so it rested behind the chair he was sitting in as he laid back in it.  He pursed his lips at the uncertain question about the person who'd shown him the way here.  "Well, she was pretty fancy, I'd say, what with her white fur and lace with them sparkly nails o hers.  I'm not much one fer rememberin heights tha' well, fer tha fact tha' everyone tends ta be taller 'n me, but she looked young fer bein as tall as tha', and her skin and hair were nigh on perfect.  She was a bit pale -- skin, eyes, and all -- what with tha long black hair."  He paused to think and licked his lips.  Smirking, he called over the bar maid again and halfway regarded Oris with a quick, "Ye want another, lad?"

Anonymous

Oris smiled, and took a real drink of the ale, feeling a little warmer and a bit tingly. He appreciated Ormand's offer of assistance, but was certain that Michael wouldn't be pleased if his will was challenged. Oris didn't want this kind soul to come under harm for his sake. "I appreciate the thought," he said softly. "Though, I'm certain it wouldn't have a very good result."

Between the fire at his back and the ale in his belly, Oris wasn't feeling very cold anymore. As the warmth leaked into him he felt an urge to curl up and sleep, but resisted. Now wasn't the time for sleeping, that could come later.

He took another drink as Ormand began describing the woman. So far she seemed like a cookie cutter angel: white clothing, the sparkles on her nails were probably from diamonds or crystals - colourless stones that most angels preferred to wear when they chose to adorn themselves, young looking, perfect hair and skin, paleness. Oris raised an eyebrow at the last detail, black hair. In his experience, only a very cocky demon would try to impersonate a black haired angel. It all but screamed 'I am a demon'. Either this woman was just one of those demons, or she was legitimate angel.

Black hair wasn't all too common among the Heavenly Host, at least from what he'd seen among the high ranking servants of the great Archangels. However, black hair did give a superior a way to pick out a specific angel from the crowds with lighter coloured hair...

He couldn't think of an angel he knew that would fit that description though - and that worried him a bit. He took a deeper drink of the ale and nudged the mug away from him again.

"I don't know an angel by that description," he looked around them, finding nothing out of the ordinary, but in truth not knowing what to look for in a bar. "Why would she want to help me?" he asked rhetorically, looking back at Ormand when he asked if he wanted another of what he assumed was the ale. He nudged the mug back towards him and peeked into it. What could be described as a puddle of liquid sloshed around the bottom of the mug.

"Yes, I would like another." No need to be unhospitable, if Ormand was willing to buy him the drinks he might as well drink them. Besides, they were pleasantly warm.

Anonymous

The bar wench went off with the order once more and Ormand grunted.  "Ah, see, now we're gettin' inta tha meat n potatoes of it.  Ye told me why ye couldnae finish what ye were sayin ta me, and now I'd like ta know what it was ye were going ta say.  Why, indeed, wouldn't another angel want ta help ye?  If we're ta be travelin tagether, I need ta know what my companion's inta."  The bar wench returned with another full tray of mugs, one for Oris, of course, and took away all the empty mugs.  The interruption wasn't enough to break Ormand's gaze away from Oris's eyes.

ooc: bleh, inactivity has bred SPS.

Anonymous

Oris bit his bottom lip and glanced to one side. He wasn't quite sure what he was about to tell Ormand, and running through a few of the possible subjects didn't fish out one that seemed more familiar.

"I'm sorry, I don't usually have such a bad memory - but I've forgotten what I was going to say," Oris bowed his head a little, trying again to think of what he was about to say. His most predominant memories of their meeting was the how it happened and that he'd had a bad attack right in front of him.

"My Superior has forbidden others of the Heavenly Host from helping me, I must acheive my atonement with my own devices. No angel would risk Michael's wrath to assist me, truthfully, I wouldn't want such a sympathetic soul to suffer on my behalf. Though, there is someone - he's not an angel, he is a Risen Demon. Make no mistake about him though, the only thing he wants to help me with is filling my grave. Lately even, I've found it hard to keep mortal companions, I always get seperated from them somehow. But perhaps there was a greater good in that, I didn't always meet the most decent of people and I almost caused harm to two of them."

Oris raised his head when the woman came to the table again, his eyes widening some at the amount she was bringing. "Is it safe to drink so much alcohol?" he asked softly.

Anonymous

"Aye, I think I'm beginnin ta see tha bigger picture now.  Ye've let loose enough information to give me an idea, includin some answers ta tha question ye were interrupted on back in tha ice.  However, what I really want ta know, a' this point, is what ye did.  What could ye 'ave done to merit a fall and this Michael's ire ta such a degree?"

The distracting question about the ale made him blink for a bit until he chortled heartily, "Heh, this kind o swill is like water ta me.  I'll give it tha' it warms ye quite nicely, but it'll take more 'an this ta poison me."

Anonymous

Once again, Oris looked back down, this time looking into the full mug next to the one he was almost through with. He knew this question was coming, why would it not? It had to have been one of the first questions to surface once he told Ormand that he was fallen. Even with enough knowledge to know it was coming he felt his stomach twist into knots.

What if his companion felt that his sin was irredeemable? That if he killed him here and now in this tavern it would do his Patron a greater good than being allowed to atone. There was also the slim chance that his companion would find it trifling and think ill of his Patron for punishing him - though that possibility was by far more remote than the first.

He had to tell him though. Eventually he would know, and it would be better for both of them if he heard it now rather than later, when he had an opportunity to think up a few possibilities himself and would doubtless be irritated by the betrayal of trust.

He slowly lifted his eyes from the glass, realizing that he should look his companion in the eyes before talking of his Sin. Ashamed as he was to speak of it, he had to use every opportunity he could to seem as sincere as possible.

His first attempt to speak of it was so soft that the words died in his throat and he ended up mouthing a few silent words. He stopped after a mouthed sentence, muttered a quick apology and finished his first mug of ale. "At it's core, it was a sin of pride. When I was in the Lord's favor, I served Michael as an interrogator. I was trained to use any methods, however brutal to get my 'clients' to talk. They were demons, falling angels, dangerous beings, evil and corrupt. I was good at it, but even the best of us couldn't keep a little of the evil we committed against them from tainting us. We watched for the signs, took other duties to cleanse our souls. Some never returned after taking other duties, but I was not one of them.

"It was during one of my off periods that I sinned. I shouldn't have taken the job, Ormand, I shouldn't have. I've told myselt this every night since my wings were sealed. It was during a war, Michael was short on personnel and needed an attendent for a Healer that fell after being exposed to something in Hell. I agreed, I thought because she wasn't a true fallen angel that I could contain myself. I thought I could help-" Oris' words chocked a little and he cleared his throat.

"She hadn't just fallen, she'd become a full demon. She was lucky she wasn't killed on the spot, but she was a good Healer, truly pious and Michael was still suffering for good servitors. Time was of the essence, we didn't have time to coax her through the Trials that a Risen Demon was supposed to face. So....  Braxiel, an agent from Tri-Sept, they're the organization that handles demonic redemption, told me to make her miserable, make her realize that the longer she spent as a demon the longer she would suffer. Though, when he said suffer, he meant one thing and I interpreted another.

"She suffered, Ormand I hurt her so bad and didn't even realize it - I thought I was holding back. I never considered that she was of an entirely different nature than the monsters I usually worked with. Merciful heavens, I remember Braxiel telling me several times to give her a rest, but I told him that it was necessary to keep the demon in her at bay. I forgot that she was never a demon, that while she looked like one she was at heart still an angel. I broker her and she ran from us, but we found her and brought her back. Her trials would continue, but something came up during her physical that put them on hold." Oris took a deep breath, folded his arms on the table in front of him and tapped his pointer finger against the wood a couple times.

"During the wait, we were attacked by demons and they carried her off. We mourned, we thought we'd seen the last of her. We were all wrong though, it was a couple years later and I'd returned to my usual work, but she showed up again. The base she was at received a tip off about a surprise attack and after the battle, a companion of hers brought her back. She was near death, but the other Healers managed to stabalize her enough so that she lived.

"Then I was called. Tri-Sept was doing an investigation on her Trial and needed to have all parties in one place. After all that time, I still believed I was right, that I hadn't done anything unsuitable to her. I threatened her," Oris lowered his head to his arms for a second. "I told her that I never assumed what a Healer needed to do their job and that she shouldn't be so hasty to do the same to me. Her eyes, I'll never forget them, she was so terrified but I just thought that meant she wouldn't say anything.

"She never had a chance to say anything. She died two days after I talked to her and naturally that was used during the Trial as evidence of mistreatment. I was furious, I called the Tri-Sept officials fools, said that they knew nothing about dealing with demons. Everything they threw at me, I dismissed, saying that all was necessary for her to abandon her demon nature.

"Then, they brought up the commander from the base she being held at before her capture. He had a roll of red-tinted parchment and read two passages off it, the first an intelligence report confirming the existence of a half angel-half demon abomination living with a lord on the thirteenth layer of Hell. The second, the results of her physical: when she was brought back from her flight, she was... with child.

"The most damning thing he didn't have to read from the parchment. He declared that the only male angels she'd been around were Braxiel, myself and one of her two regular attendents. Tri-Sept already spoke with Braxiel and the other attendent and both were cleared, now they wanted to hear my side of it. This was where my pride finally ran out - I was guilty, she became a type of demon that others commonly used as chattel by others and that was one way I let her know how she would be treated should she embrace the devil in her."

At this point, Oris was fighting the desire to look away from Ormand, he didn't want to see the first expressions that washed over his face. Didn't want to see the inevitable damning look he was about to receive. He continued, hoping he hadn't upset Ormand enough for him for him to interrupt.

"I was charged, not only for the excessiveness of my methods, but for siring the hybrid and for all the angels killed when the demons came to kidnap her and during the surprise attack they foiled with her help - it was claimed that the loss of life would have been prevented if she hadn't been captured and my mistreatment was seen to have extended her trial enough so she could be.

"Initially, I was to be imprisoned. I was, for a time, until Michael decided that imprisonment would do nothing for me. I sinned horribly in his eyes and would fall for it unless I atoned. So here I am, damned, trying to make up for a sin that I'm lucky I have the chance to atone."

Anonymous

By the time Oris had finished recounting the tale of his fall, Ormand had polished off all of his mugs.  The look on his face was hardly damning.  Rather, it looked confused.  "I'm nae sure what to say, lad.  I am sure ye told me everything ye know about it, and for some reason I cannae dismiss ye as bein beyond redemption or anythin of tha like.  Somethin about yer story sounded fishy ta me; I just cannae put me finger on it."  The dwarf ran a thick hand over his short beard.  "Somethin feels out o place."

He pondered a bit longer before shaking his head, "I'm nae sure what kind o god ye serve, but I can say tha' tha fact ye're even feelin guilty about all o this is tha biggest step ye can ever take in tha right direction.  It's nae me place ta condemn ye wit tha rest.  If anythin, as a holy man, it be me place ta be one o tha first ta forgive ye, even if I don't 'ave tha power ta grant ye tha amnesty ye're searchin for."  He fiddled around with his most recently finished mug in thought.  "Still, I cannae but think ye were charged a bit harshly.  Are ye certain it was you who conceived the child?  Did this court of yers ever go about divinin that it was unmistakably yer doin?  It seems ta me tha' tha poor angel lass could've just as easily been impregnated by a demon before she'd taken her own demon form."  Ormand was doubtful that such an obvious possibility hadn't been explored, but Oris had failed to mention anything of the sort, so it couldn't hurt to ask.  The dwarf wouldn't hold it against the angel even if it turned out to not be the case, so he let his statement hang in the air.

Anonymous

Oris didn't know what to make of Ormand's expression. He didn't want to think Ormand was too stupid to understand what he'd just been told. To chase that errant thought off, Oris mouthed the lip of his mug, taking a little drink of the ale.

It was Oris' turn to be confused while Ormand was talking. Fishy? Out of place? Oris all but burned to ask him what he meant when he went silent, obviously thinking, but waited. If he was thinking he would say what was on his mind soon enough - if not, a little gentle prodding would likely turn up what he was thinking about. Merciful Heavens, the time seemed to be going by slower while he watched Ormand think. Oris took a proper swig of the ale, set the mug down, pushed it away with a finger, stared at it for a second so he'd stop looking at Ormand. Then looked back at him and inched the mug back to him.

The mug was set aside again when Ormand began speaking.

When he was through Oris smiled a little and shook his head, relieved that Ormand wasn't about to start re-damning him. "It was unmistakable, all of the other suspects were cleared."

Wait... There was some niggling bit of memory tugging at the corner of his mind. Oris crossed his eyes a bit and tried to remember - it seemed important and relevent. He thought about the others, hoping to bring that memory into the light. Braxiel... no, Braxiel was the one that told him to lay off her. The angel didn't strike him as a hypocrite. Her male attendent, no, the female testified for him. If he'd been the one then surely the female attendent would have seen something - and there was no way she could have been in on it, her testimony was run by a Seraph. If she lied the Seraph would have known. Neither brought that little memory out. Oris went over Ormand's conversation in his head again.

"They could never make a proper determination," he muttered, letting the thought sift from his brain down to his tongue. "There was no way, the child was held in a fortress. There was no way to reach him."

The Flame began buzzing in his chest again, no doubt wanting to be apart of the discussion. Oris resisted, the Flame already knew more than it should have. Once the sword was in the background of his head he began thinking again, rapping his fingers against the table.

Impregenated by a demon before taking demon form.... The first time around that sentence seemed excessive. There was no way she could have - if she'd been assaulted she would have told some... Oris' eyes widened and his mouth opened slightly. "Ormand..." he said softly.

Then it clicked and Oris surged to his feet, kicking his chair back. He slammed his hands onto the table and leaned over it, his face close enough to the paladin's that he could smell the ale on his breath. "Ormand..." he said in a hissing whisper. "Ormand, I think you might be right... There was a demon - a Risen! It was her constant companion for Heaven's sake! I never saw if the demon had any part in the trial... Truth be told, I never paid him any attention." his voice rose in pitch a little and his fingertips curled into the table. "That bastard," Oris growled, his eyes widening and his teeth pressed firmly together.

Oris groaned soon after and put a hand on his chest, drawing away from Ormand's person and wincing down at the table.

Anonymous

ooc: i'm curious.  did i crack open your whole conspiracy, or give birth to one for you? :P  oh, and i posted that other thread in Ketra.

The patrons of the bar, if not interested in the pair before since the conversation had been mostly drowned out from the casual ear by standard bar noise, most certainly were jarred into noticing the slightly yelled mentions of demons and bastards following the black and white haired gentleman's showy slamming of the table.  And now he was experiencing some kind of health problem.

"Well, I'm glad I could be o--  Lad?  Are ye all right?"  Ormand got out of his chair concernedly and attended to the ailing angel.  "Ye're nae doin this ta me again, are ye?  Nod or somethin' if ye think a bit o healin magic would help ye through this?  Ye're really goin ta hafta clue me in ta why this is happenin so often."

Anonymous

((You sir, have opened up an entirely new can of worms XD))

Oris couldn't care less about the attention he was attracting, he had other things on his mind. Namely getting through this attack without it causing any permanent damage. They never did before, but they were getting more frequent and some were fierce. The current one wasn't close to being in the fierce category but it definitely fit into the frequent category.

Healing magic? Oris nodded quickly. He wasn't sure if the healing magic would make the attack get over sooner but he was sure it would help with the pain some. He curled his fingers into the table and pressed his forhead against it.

Anonymous

ooc: mwahahahaa  X>

The nod was all he needed.  "All right, lad.  It's time for some good old fashion layin' on of hands."  The half dwarf rubbed his palms together as if they were electric paddles before resting them on Oris's back and shoulder.  Almost immediately, a blast of gray white energy entered the angel's body.  It would feel like getting hit with a feather pillow fresh out of the dryer.

Anonymous

((Mwahaha indeed *rubs hands together* oh btw, that's the best healing metaphor I've ever seen. You, sir, win.))

The tightening feeling in his chest vanished once the paladin's magic got to it. Oris gasped and panted for a couple seconds before his breathing settled. Once it had, he slid off the table and fumbled for his chair, after a few clumsy attempts at getting it upright and near the table he managed it and sank into the chair, resting his head against the table.

"i'm so tired of this ormand," he said softly. "i need to find him, soon."

((Bah, short suckage ^^;; ))