Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Religion: The Ekinjin

Started by Marjorie, January 02, 2019, 07:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

__________________ RELIGON    
Ekjinism; The Ekinjin

QuoteA prayer from the book of Swrgkin: Fiat lux ptotects clypeum qui te lucem tuam et ipse iter ad verum et amor; ideo et per ipsum invenies redemptio.  .::.  Let His light be the shield that protects you; let Him light your path to truth, and love, and in Him you will find redemption.

Overview: Ekjin would call himself a God of protection. Because he thinks that all sinners are worthy of redemption, should they truthfully repent, culturally, he has become a patron God of wayward souls and lost causes. Because of His desire to protect the innocent and defenseless, to teach that love is the highest calling, and his desire to offer truth and shed light on falsehoods, as well as His eager willingness to offer redemption to those who have done wrong and wish to repent, Ekjin is also known colloquially as a God of love.

History: Originally founded by the Angel Swrgkin, the most faithful servant of Ekjin, the Brotherhood of Light was a Knightly order devoted to the protection of the innocent, defenseless, and faithful. Many of the original Knights were once sinners who Swrgkin himself helped to redeem themselves, and with their new-found faith and purpose they devoted themselves to Ekjin and the protection of others who were not unlike themselves in their past lives.
Wanting the Order's and its member's devotion to be to Ekjin and his teachings first, and not wishing to be beholden to the laws of mortals, Swrgkin founded the Brotherhood of Light in deep in the Terrin Mountains between Cannolath and Serendipity.

Over the last several hundred years the Brotherhood of Knights has turned into a full-blown religion, complete with a Priesthood, sisterhood of Nuns, and a handful of temples.
The main temple is on a high peak in the Terrin Mountians and they have smaller temples scattered around the mountain range. Recently a new temple has been erected several miles from the Cannolath border, in still neutral territory, to offer protection and sanctuary to mages and others fleeing persecution and the ravages of their civil war, bringing their total to six temples including the main one.

Demographics: Because most members of the faith have been converted from some other faith or atheism, they have no "typical" race. Their location means that they have a lot of members from Cannlaoth, Serendipity.

Location - Terrin Mountains between Cannolath and Serendipity

Who may join - Anyone, though obviously only male characters may become Knights, and only female Characters may become Nuns. Anyone at all can follow the faith as a parishioner. 

Symbols - The symbol of Ekjin is a pair of gold wings with a sunburst between them. The symbol of the Brotherhood of light is Ekjin's symbol with a sword crossed over a shield behind the sunburst.

Leaders:

The Priesthood – (men and women)
Their focus is on the church and its followers. Anyone above the rank of Initiate may be referred to by rank or as "Father."

Priests wear sky-blue robes that hang off their shoulders to the ground over a simple white shirt and pants, belted at the waste with a thick, gold, braided cord. On the back of the robe, a foot tall, is embroidered the emblem of their God. They wear stoles that wrap around the back of the neck and hang from the shoulders to the knees, across the chest. On the left end above the knee is the symbol of their God, a pair of gold wings with a sunburst between them, and on the right end above the knee is the symbol of their rank within the temple. Initiates wear identical robes, with a simple black shirt and pants underneath, and do not wear a stole.

Ranks:
High Priest.
The High Priest is the religious head of the Ekinjin. They enforce doctrine, oversee the standards of training for Initiates, Clerics, and Priests, and determine what is established as official doctrine of the church. They have a lot of political power within the organization, and also determine how church funds are spent. They have many administrative practices. The High Priest also works closely with the Knight Master of the Brotherhood of Light, to determine to what purposes their knights will be put.

Over the history of the religion, no woman has yet to hold this rank, and while allowed, few women join the Priesthood. Most young girls who enter into service in the Temple are encouraged to join the Sisterhood of Nuns.

Priest.
Priests make up the second highest rank of the temple's hierarchy. They serve as advisers and aids to the High Priest, and as leaders of the satellite temples. The have significant political clout within the organization, and often directly handle the temple's funds. They have many religious and administrative responsibilities. These are the people most likely to be found giving sermons in temples. They are also the ones who direct education for Initiates and Clerics.

Cleric.
Clerics are graduated initiates who have taken their vows and chosen a new name, having given themselves over to Ekjin and His teachings. Their studies are far from over, and their responsibilities increased. They often work closely with Priests, and start to take on minor administrative roles within the temple.

Initiate.
The lowest ranking formal members of the temple. They are often children and teens, though some people find their calling later in life. Initiate serve as students of religion and academia, as well as servants to Clerics, Priests, and the High Priest. Initiate do not take vows, however humility is enforced, and they are encouraged to attempt to emulate the vows they will later take. Initiates do much of the mundane "chores" around the temple grounds - cooking, cleaning, washing laundry, copying religious texts. 

Sometimes initiates change their callings and become squires, novices. Many Initiates don't make it to becoming Clerics, but it is not considered shameful to have tried and failed, so long as they keep their faith.

Initially, Initiates receive religious training side by side with Squires and Novices, which is overseen by both Priests and Knight Captains, and after their first year of training, they split paths and their focus shifts toward more intense religious and academic education. 

Vows of Priesthood:  Humility and Piety.

I will be of humble of means, mind, and words.
They may have possessions, but are not allowed to have ostentatious, frivolous, or unnecessary possessions. This humility extends to being humble of mind and speech.

I will be pious and truthful in my faith, words, and actions.
To be faithful, truthful, and pure of mind and body is vital. Priests are aloud to marry, but any kind of deviance is not acceptable and may be grounds for dismissal from the Priesthood or, even, excommunication.

I will live by the tenets of Ekjin, and to teach them by example. I will be an ambassador of love, truth, redemption. I will offer protection to those who cannot protect themselves.
Priests teach by example, they are expected to be compassionate, honest and truthful at all times, and to work with people of any faith or origin should they seek or need redemption for wrongdoings and sinful lives. They also offer protection in the form of sanctuary to anyone who needs it within the walls of their temple. 

Brotherhood of Knights – (Men only)

Focused outward and inward on the followers of the faith and those outside the faith that may need to be redeemed or protected. Anyone above the rank of Squire may be referred to by rank as "Brother."

Knights wear a padded fabric uniform of white pants, undershirt, and a white, quilted jacket that is long to the knees and secures with ties up the inside of the left flank and over the left shoulder to end in a high collar. This clothing is suitably padded to be worn under armor and to provide slight protection against blunt weapons without armor.

Embroidered on the chest of their uniform is a six-inch-high emblem of their God with one addition between the gold wings and behind the sunburst is a shield with a sword crossed over it. They also wear sky-blue cloaks, open (unless it's cold, etc.) that fall from their shoulders to their knees. Emblazoned on the back of them is the same symbol as on their jacket.

All knights and squires carry a sword at all times, unless sleeping or attending a temple service, regardless of age or level of training. A Knight's shield and armor is pained sky-blue and bare their Order's Emblem.

Initiates were the same uniform except the fabric if black not white. They are not outfitted with plate because of the cost and the constant growth of boys and teenagers. They are fitted with chain mail coifs, shirts, and skirts which can be worn over their uniforms, once they reach the age of ten.

Ranks –
Knight Master.
The Knight Master is the highest ranked knight in the Brotherhood of Light. He is their military and political leader. He serves many administrative functions and oversees the standards of education for Squires and Knights. They have a lot of political clout within the organization. They work closely with the High Priest.

Knight Commander.
Knight Commanders are the second highest ranking Knights of the Brotherhood of Light. They act as officers among the knights. They also act as advisers to the Knight Master, and teachers to Knights and Squires. They lead the different chapters of the Brotherhood of Light at the satellite temples, and Knight Commanders have significant political clout within the organization.

Knight.
Knights are those squires who have graduated into Knighthood and taken their vows, and chosen a new name, having given themselves to Ekjin. They are the typical Knight found either traveling about as Knights errant, to serve the people and their God, or found on a battlefield, should they be directed there by their leaders.

Squire.
Squires are the lowest ranking, formal members of the Brotherhood of Light. They are often children and teens, though some people find their calling later in life. Squires serve as students of religion, to a lesser extent academia, and to a greater extent, military arts, as well as servants to Knights, Knight Commanders, and the Knight Master. Squires do not take vows; however, humility is enforced, and they are encouraged to attempt to emulate the vows they will later take.

Sometimes squires change their callings and become Initiates, and eventually Priests instead. Many Squires don't make it to becoming Knights, but it is not considered shameful to have tried and failed, so long as they keep their faith.

Initially, Squires receive religious training side by side with Initiates and Novices which is overseen by both Priests and Knight Captains, and after their first year of religious training, they
split paths and their focus shifts toward the military arts. Squires do most of the "mundane" chores, cooking, cleaning, laundry, tending the horses, etc.

Knight's Oath: Humility. Chivalry. Bravery. Protection.

Though Knights have some obviously expensive equipment (weapons, armor, horses, etc). These things actually belong to the Brotherhood, not the Knights, and are bestowed to them upon them at their Knighting Ceremony. They may have possessions, but are not allowed to have ostentatious, frivolous, or unnecessary possessions. This humility extends to being humble of mind and speech.

I will be truthful of mind and mouth.
Knights sweat to be truthful and honest to themselves and others at all times.

I will never raise my sword in rage or anger, or for personal gain. I will defend the innocent, the just, and those who cannot defend themselves.
A cornerstone to their faith and purpose is the defense of the defenseless.

I will fear no wickedness. I will flee from now foe, be they demon, witch, or man, or any other creature. I will be the sword and shield of Ekjin.
Bravery is a key point for Knights of the Brotherhood, and while retreats in battle for strategic purposes, or for hopeless battles, when ordered or necessary, are acceptable, to run out of fear is not. Cowardliness is unacceptable to the Brotherhood and consider "abandonment of one's brothers in arms" and punishable by dismissal, excommunication, or a public ceremonial beating (if it is determined their status as Knight will not be revoked, this beating is often, quite brutal).

I will treat all women with respect. I will never disparage a woman's reputation with my actions or my words.
Extramarital or premarital sex is a huge taboo among Knights. Striking a woman, unless an evil being faced in some form of combat is forbidden. Also forbidden is speaking harshly, unkindly, or crudely to a woman. Impure thoughts about women, especially those a man is not courting or married to, is considered shameful.

I will offer redemption, and give mercy when asked.
While they are expected to slay evil and protect the innocent, a huge influence on a Knight's beliefs and practices is centered around the concept of redemption. As their God sees it, redemption should be given to any who seek it.

I will put the needs of others before myself.
Selflessness and service to others in the name of Ekjin is central to a Knight's beliefs.

I will shun unfairness, cruelty, and deceit.
Following a god who professes truth and love as the truest paths to walk, it is no surprise that these Knights would shun cruelty and lies. 

Sisterhood of Nuns – (women only)

Focused outward and inward, on the temple and the people.

Nuns may be called by their rank or "sister." Many nuns serve the community at large. They take care of the sick, the needy, the poor. They educate the underprivileged. Many are trained as healers, academic scholars, or in trade-skills like clothmaking, brewing, etc. They can often be found wherever people are suffering – on the edges of battlefields and where plague and famine ravage the innocent.

It is not uncommon to find sisters traveling with dispatched Knights to offer medical aid.

Nuns wear a habit with a that consists of a black tunic that covers her from the neck to the floor and her arms entirely to the wrists. Under the tunic she wears a simple, white, ankle length, cotton dress. The tunic is bound at the waste by a braided cord belt tied above the left hip and hanging from the ends are coin sized wooden disks carved with their God's emblem. Over this she wears a white cap and wrap that covers the head, cheeks, sometimes the lower half of the face (depending on how modest the person is, or if they are tending the infirm), and neck, with a sky-blue veil over the top of that. She has the option to wear a variety of different sky-blue aprons over her tunic to protect her clothing when she works. The aprons have the golden wings and star burst of their God embroidered onto them. If not needed, the Sister does not have to wear an apron. Sisters bare no marking of ranking, considering it to go against their vow of humility. They may also be seen with sky-blue shawls and cloaks to keep out the weather.
Initiates wear the same habits, aprons, shawls, and cloaks except that they wear no veils.

Mother Superior.
The highest-ranking member of the Sisterhood of Nuns. She holds significant political clout, oversees the standards of teaching for Novices and Sisters. She has many administrative roles and oversees how funds within the Sisterhood are used. She is obedient to the will of the Priesthood. She works closely with the High Priest and the Knight Master.

Mother.
The second highest rank among the Sisterhood, the Mothers work closely with the Mother Superior and run the various Chapters of the Sisterhood as the satellite temples. They have moderate political clout and oversee the teaching of Sisters and Novices. They have many administrative functions and serve as religious guides for the common people.

Sister.
Sisters have completed their basic religious training and graduated from Novice to nun, taken their vows, and given themselves to their God. At this point they tend to begin training in a trade skill or the healing arts. Their education is expanded to this new focus while they continue to grow closer to Ekjin. During the ceremony to transform a Novice to a Sister, she takes a vow of chastity, among others.

Novice.
Initially, Novices received religious training side by side with Initiates and Squires which is overseen by both Priests and Knight Captains, and after their first year of religious training, they split paths and Mothers take over their education, shifting to focus onto intense religious and trade-skills education. Novices do most of the mundane "chores" such as cooking, cleaning, and copying religious texts.

Vows of the Sisterhood of Nuns: Poverty. Chastity. Humility. Obedience. Compassion.

Nuns take this vow a step further than Priests and Knights. They take this vow to be a vow of humility and poverty. They possess nothing which the temple has not given them to use. Their possessions belong forever to the temple and so never refer to any worldly objects as "mine" and only refer to them as "ours" or items that were "gifted to them" which are not considered their personal belongings. When they become Sisters, they give all earthly possession they have to the temple at the ceremony where they become sisters, and give themselves to Ekjin.

I will give Ekjin's compassion and love to all.
Sisters of the faith do a lot of social work. They feed and cloth the needy, care for and educate the poor, tend to the sick, injured, and dying. They give compassion, kindness, and love to anyone who seeks or needs it – and even to those who shun them, or would abuse them.

I will be obedient to the will of Ekjin and to His temple.
The Hight Priests have the final say in all matters to do with the Sisterhood of Nuns. They are obedient without question to Ekjin and His Priesthood, and usually defer to decisions of the Brotherhood of Light as well.

I will remain pure of mind and body. I will have no relations with men.
Sisters take a vow of chastity, believing that this physical purity, and denial of baser desires brings them closer to their God. Breaking this vow is the greatest taboo among the Sisters, and it always ends with dismissal from the sisterhood, and depending on the situation, may lead to excommunication as well.