Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Odd Companions of a Wandering Knight (Nova, Kadakism, Sanctified) [Mature]

Started by Nova_Eclipse, January 11, 2019, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova_Eclipse

Richter let out an agitated sigh as the knight realized that he'd once again passed the same Y-shaped bark-stripped tree that he'd originally seen an hour ago.  The roaming swordsman, seeing the futility of trying to find his way through what was likely an enchant forest, slowly eased himself down into a sitting position so that he could take a short break from walking in full plate armor.

He'd thought that the job the townsfolk of Sarova in Ravensway would be fairly straightforward, like they'd told him it would be.  There was a bandit encampment somewhere in the Sarovans' not-so-metaphorical neck of the woods who were killing and eating all of the wild game that the Sarovans depended on for both food and trade, and the few times the more combat-inclined Sarovans went off to deal with said bandits, their maimed or mutilated corpses were often found a few hours later after the other Sarivans heard agonized screams.

Needless to say, the Sarovans had abandoned any notion of driving out the bandits themselves after the third dismembered cadaver had been foubd, and instead had started looking for outside help a few days ago.

Because Sarova was largely outside of the jurisdiction of Arca, no official or unofficial support was sent despite the village's numerous requests for assistance. Other relatively nearby settlements likewise did not send aid, though this was less out of negligence and was more because said settlements didn't have the manpower or any combat-trained bodies to lend to Sarova.

Then, when the Sarovans were starting to consider drastic options, Richter stumbled right into their laps.

Almost literally, in this case, since he'd been mule-kicked in the head by a rabid deer while lost in the damned forest surrounding Sarova and had stumbled into the village in a nearly-concussed state.  The Sarovans, either seeing him as a man in need or as the gods answering their prayers for help by sending them a knight, had taken him in immediately and given him what medical treatment they could spare.  Ingratiated to the people of Sarova once his near-concussion had completely faded away, Richter offered his assistance in anything they needed done.

The Sarovans had explained the bandit situation to him, told him they'd pay him with a week's worth of traveling rations, and then all but tossed him, albeit gently and less physically, in the direction of the bandits once they'd finished informing him of their problem.  It was a bit jarring to go from being treated for a concussion to clearing a bandit camp in the span of half an hour, but he accepted the task nonetheless.

After all, if he didn't do it, then he doubted they'd find anyone else willing and/or capable of doing it before they found their livelihoods (or their lives) taken away from them.

Which brought his mind back to the present and to his current state of being utterly lost in a forest that he could swear was toying with him by making him go in circles.

Hell, he thought he could even hear faint mocking giggles coming from all around him yet nowhere at once...but that was more than likely just his mind and a bit of anxiety playing tricks on him.

Richter brought a gauntlet-clad hand up to chin helmet-covered chin and hummed to himself as he pondered what to do next.

Kadakism

Of all the things Belafay was, a masterful navigator was not one of them. She could follow some of the instructions she had been given about finding her way, but when the road vanished she had little else to do than pick a direction and walk until she found something.

And that was precisely where she found herself now. Wandering the woods, alone and without supplies of any kind. And she was perfectly fine with this scenario, since she didn't really need anything. And being alone at least meant no one could order her around and delay her any further.

Up ahead however she saw a man in full armor, also seemingly lost. She felt that familiar twinge, her compulsory need to serve worming its way into her thoughts. He seemed lost, like he needed help. Belafay sighed and smoothed down her plain linen dress, adjusting her rope belt and circling around the trees to meet him.

"Good day," she called out to him, lifting a hand to wave casually. "Are you in need of assistance, sir?" She smiled pleasantly, holding a breath she didn't need. Part of her hoped she could help him. After all what good was a golem who had no task to do?

Nova_Eclipse

Beneath his helmet, Richter blinked and looked up at the girl standing before him, then looked around to see if there were bandits using her as bait to ambush him - a tactic he'd heard of bandits using from time to time; either that, or his mind was making him see hallucinations.  It certainly made more sense than a young-looking girl suddenly walking up to him when he'd been alone for the past hour or two and asking him if he needed help.

When he saw no signs of an ambush or trap, he returned his attention to the girl before him and slowly rose to his full height.  He cautiously nodded in response, still not fully trusting that the girl wasn't misleading him somehow, "Yes, ma'am...I suppose that I do.  I need to find a bandit encampment that has been killing all of the wild game that the nearby town of Sarova needs to survive and trade, as well as causing the deaths of three or so Sarovans who tried to stop the bandits.  Unfortunately, I've been lost for a while now.  If you could lend any aid to me, that would be greatly appreciated."

It was at that point that he remembered the basic tenets of chivalry and knighthood that had been drilled into him over the course of nearly a decade - often through the process of a wooden sword bonking him on the head whenever he forgot to follow the tenets.  He then took a bow at the hip with his right arm held across his chest, his elbow on the right side of his chestplate and his hand on the left.

"My name is Richter, a roaming knight.  It is a pleasure and an honor to make your acquaintance, madam.  May I ask what your name is?"

Kadakism

Belafay's eyes glittered unnaturally as Richter spoke his request. Find bandits. He was a knight, so the implication beyond that was kill the bandits as well. She could manage that. She might not have been a navigator, but Belafay knew a thing or three about people. Like that they liked rivers for some inexplicable reason. Belafay hated rivers. Too much water made her skin and hair sticky. Oh well.

Before she could move, the man bowed to her. A gesture she had come to learn was a sign of greeting. She knew what to do here. Picking up the hem of her dress between her fingers, Belafay returned his bow with a perfectly practiced curtsy. "I am called Belafay. I will serve as you have requested, Ser Richter. I hope my service proves adequate for your needs."

Formalities out of the way, Belafay turned a complete three hundred and sixty degrees around and pointed. "There is a river back that way nine hundred and fifty-four of my steps. Humans like rivers, yes? The bandits might be along it somewhere."

She stopped, considering for a moment. "Give or take one hundred steps, Ser. I will follow your lead, or lead that you may follow. Whichever you desire."

Nova_Eclipse

Richter nodded gratefully at Belafay's words, even though his helmet hid his unease and hesitance at her intent to join him, "I see.  Well then, Miss Belafay, I suppose that the least I can do in return for your aid is allowing you to accompany me.  I can only hope that you'll be able to take care of yourself should you get involved in combat with the bandits.  In any case, since you seem to have an idea of
where they are, would you mind leading the way?"

The knight was hesitant to involve a girl who he could only assume was a non-combatant in a life-or-death fight with violent, bloodthirsty killers.  He was also still slightly wary of the girl, since her arrival and subsequent offer of help in a huge forest was suspiciously convenient.  There was a chance she was one of the bandits, but until she proved otherwise he was going to have to assume and trust that she was being sincere.

Kadakism

"I do not know for certain, I can only speculate," Belafay corrected Richter as she began walking. But she was given to a task now, so she became much less talkative as they made their way back to the river she had seen before. As they approached the water, Belafay looked down at the ground and noticed the indentation in the ground of boots. As she was barefoot and these footprints were much larger than her feet, they certainly did not belong to her.

"I have found something. These footprints move upstream, Ser Richter. A man, perhaps? Perhaps one of your bandits?" Belafay wasted no time in following these tracks, being careful not to get too close to the water. She didn't want to have to deal with the water messing up her skin.

"So when we find your bandits, are you going to attempt to arrest them and put them in those stock things in a town? Or do you intend to kill them? I need to know so I know how to act when we find them."

Nova_Eclipse

"They've killed the wild game the people of Sarova depend on for their livelihoods and survivals, and they've also viciously murdered and dismembered three Sarovans who tried to drive them away.  There is no fate left for them but death," Richter replied without a moment's hesitation, his voice flat and as cold as ice. "They will receive no mercy, for they deserve none."

Richter kept a close eye out on their surroundings as he followed Belafay, constantly looking for any signs of the bandits or any traps they might have laid around the forest.  It wouldn't do to fall into a concealed spike pit or get crushed by a log hoisted above their heads.

Kadakism

"I see," was all Belafay said at first at Richter's insistence that the bandits would indeed be killed. She continued walking, keeping her eyes on the footprints ahead of her while she thought. "Then I will help you kill them," she added in an dispassionate tone.

It was a good hundred feet ahead when Belafay sprang one of the very traps that Richter was being so careful about. A log, wrapped in chains, came tumbling out of the tree tops as her leg pulled a near invisible tripwire in the underbrush. Belafay heard the rumbling and breaking of branches above her and braced herself for impact. She could easily catch this log with minimal damage to herself. Not that she had remembered to tell Sir Richter about that fact beforehand.

Nova_Eclipse

The distinct sound and flicker of motion in the canopy above them alerted Richter to what was about to happen even as his body started pumping adrenaline through his veins and as time seemed to slow down around him.  The chain-covered log that came hurtling out of the forest canopy and seemingly aimed right for the knight's companion moved as slowly to him as honey trailing down the side of a glass jar, a rather misleading sight that betrayed just how fast it was actually moving and how deadly of a threat it posed to Richter and his companion.  His gaze drifted over to said companion as she stood rooted in place, seemingly frozen in fear or shock at the sudden threat before her - a threat that was going to snuff out her life if she didn't move out of the way within the next few crucial seconds.

His heart thumped once - a second had passed and Belafay seemed to have locked up completely out of terror or indecision; he couldn't tell which one it was and he didn't particularly give a damn as to which one it was, either.

The log had closed a quarter of the distance between itself and the woman in its path.

A blisteringly fast mental weighing of his options - push Belafay out of harm's way and risk having his ribcage shattered or driven into his lungs and heart, or do nothing and let her die - took place in the time it took for his heart to beat again and for another second to pass.

The log was halfway to colliding with the girl.

There was no more hesitation on Richter's part as he turned his body to face Belafay and lunged at her with his arms held out to pull her into an embrace.  When his gauntlet-clad fingers brushed past her sides, he wrapped his arms as delicately yet firmly around Belafay as his bulky and heavy armor would allow, then let his momentum carry both him and his companion to the ground.

In the time it took to blink, the log finally swung through the air where Belafay had been standing a fraction of a second before, barely missing her and the knight who had all but body-checked her out of harm's way.

Richter landed harshly on his side, flesh and organs compressed against the inside of his armor by the impact as a pained grunt flew past his lips.

Kadakism

Belafay was repositioning her feet to better catch the log when she felt herself get barreled over by something large and metal clad. She landed hard on the ground alongside Richter with a small sound of surprise. It would have knocked her breath out of her if she had breath to knock out. There was a sound of wood slamming against wood with a crack and a shudder that echoed through the forest and sent animals scattering into the air and the underbrush. Turning her head an almost but not quite unnatural degree, Belafay's eyes glittered a bit brighter as she regarded Richter first with confusion.

"Why did you push me out of the way, Ser Richter? I was going to catch the log so that it did not make noise and alert the bandits to our presence. We are certainly going to be outnumbered and so the element of surprise was a key component to our victory."

Her confusion turned to concern as she watched the way he moved. He was injured because of the fall. Frowning hard at him, Belafay easily pushed away Richter's grip and stood up. "You are hurt. Your armor made what would be a relatively simple fall much more traumatic. You will not be able to properly fight if you have broken any bones."

Nova_Eclipse

The knight stared incredulously at the woman before him, "What?  You were going to catch a log that probably weighs about as much as I do with your bare hands?!  Miss Belafay, I fail to see how that makes sense in any conceivable way, considering that log is more than capable of crushing my armor like an insect beneath a boot.  So, unless you're some kind of supernatural being in the guise of a human woman, I highly doubt that you are capable of doing what you claim you were trying to accomplish."

Richter pushed himself back onto his feet with a sharp inhale as the bruised flesh of his injured side pressed against the hard metal of his armor, "As for me being injured, you needn't worry.  The landing just left some bruising, nothing more."

Kadakism

Belafay blinked once more, looking at Richter impassively for a good long moment. All the while the log continued to bump and sway on it's rope, the chains wrapped around it clattering gently with the movement.

"I see. My intention was not to disguise myself, Ser Richter. I suppose that makes a certain kind of sense though..." she said, nodding once as she remembered times when people had been visibly bewildered by the things that she could do. She didn't understand it herself, having been around magic for so long made it seem almost mundane.

"I am a golem, formed from clay and made to serve, Ser." She spoke in a quiet, matter of fact voice. She felt no need to demonstrate unless he asked, so she stood still and watched for his reaction.

Nova_Eclipse

"...That would have been good to know beforehand, but I suppose that hindsight is 20/20, so I can't fault you for that," Richter sighed and shook his head with a slight metallic rattle of his helmet's visor. "From now on, yo-...I would suggest that you be a bit more forthcoming with information like this.  That way, we can avoid situations like this in the future."

Richter then paused and looked at her in a way that she could tell was mildly scrutinizing, "Is there anything else about you that I am unaware that would be beneficial for me to know?"

Kadakism

Belafay's eyes flashed slightly when Richter suggested that she be more forthcoming with information about herself. She switched her stance briefly and curtsied, dipping her head low as she spoke. He asked if there was anything else about her that might be beneficial for him to know. As she didn't know him or what his needs were, her programming took that as 'basically everything.'

"As you wish, Ser Richter. I am compelled to follow any human's commands while I am without a master, except to kill or to die. My master, should I have one, may order me to do either. I am currently without a master, but have been seeking one for some time. I am capable of carrying great weight. I am skilled in a number of trades that may prove useful, including basic herbal medicine and giving pleasure to men. I do not require food or sleep or even air. My body is quite durable and easy to repair, but fire is detrimental to me."

When she was finished, Belafay lifted her head to look at Richter once again with that impassive, nearly blank expression. "Is there anything else, Ser Richter?"

Some distance away, a pair of bandits from the encampment were slowly approaching, investigating the noise made by the falling log trap.

Nova_Eclipse

Richter was thankful that he wore a face-concealing helmet, as a light dusting of pink had settled over his cheeks at Belafay so bluntly admitting that she was skilled at sexual acts.

He shook his head once he'd regained his composure, "No, that is all, Miss Belafay...though if you need a master - in the 'commanding' sense, not the slavery or sexual sense - then...I suppose that I could be yours, if you would have me.  I would not command you to kill yourself nor do anything that you wouldn't want to do if you had the capacity to refuse an order.  As for everything else you've told me...I believe you and I will have a very beneficial and mutual working relationship, should we choose to be traveling companio-"

A faint echo of a twig snapping underfoot caught Richter's attention.

"...You were right about the bandits coming to investigate, it seems.  If you could, gather as much leaves, debris and other things short of excrement and detritus so that we can conceal ourselves and ambush them," Richter whispered in a lower voice to the golem. "I believe I saw a small ditch to my left - and in your case, your right - that we can hide in.  It certainly looked deep enough to hold my entire body plus my armor without any part of me peeking out above the sides."

Kadakism

Belafay canted her head to the side at the idea that a potential master wouldn't ask her to do anything she didn't want to do. She meant to say something else but got swept up in his next set of orders. Bowing her head she went to work in silence.

She gathered a number of branches and leaves, covering Richter quickly with them when he got into the ditch that he mentioned. She also grabbed several of the same for herself, crouching underneath them with her eyes focused on the swinging log. She would talk to him about his proposal later. An ambush meant to stay quiet.

The two bandits moved into the small clear spot where the trap had been sprung, one carrying a spear and the other a mace. As they inspected the trap, one of them mentioned to the other that they should fan out a bit and see if there was any sign of what sprung it.

Nova_Eclipse

Richter waited motionlessly as heard the bandits come into the clearing.  He waited as they inspected the trap.  He waited as one of them moved away from the other and unknowingly approached the general vicinity of his and Belafay's hiding spot.

Instead of continuing to wait as the bandit wielding a mace approached, the knight chose a different course of action.  Once the mace-user came into view, Richter subtly twitched his arm, causing a few leaves covering it to audibly move off of the appendage.  As he'd hoped and/or planned, the mace-wielder's gaze shot over to the source of the noise and cautiously approached.

Another purposeful shifting of his leaf cover at the same time that a faint chittering sound, reminescent of a squirrel or other similarly-sized rodent, left his lips.  Practice in the form of many hours of practice to lure unsuspecting squirrely meals to him when travel rations ran low meant that the squirrel impression was as realistic and convincing as any bird-caller's respective calls would be to those who heard them.

A quick glance at the trap's triggering mechanism before ordering Belafay to hide the two of them showed that the tripwire's advantage of being nearly invisible came at the cost of being rather sensitive to touch.  Whether it was due to a person's feet or the careless skittering and foraging of a hungry squirrel, the trap would be triggered.

With any luck, the bandit would put the 'clues' together and assume that it was 'just a dumb squirrel' that had triggered the trap.  After all, any footprints left in the debris covering the forest floor could be rationalized as their old footprints or newer ones from one of their own that hadn't said anything about being in the area.  Likewise, the impression Richter's body had left from his landing could be dismissed as one of the wild animals they'd hunted in the area.

Then, assuming that the bandit(s) here were hungry, the one closest to Richter and Belafay would try to sneak up on the 'easy little snack' that was hiding so poorly in the leaf cover.

He just had to wait until the bandit came within striking range of his mace - the same range as Richter's ability to reach out with his arm.

If all went well, two would become just one.

Kadakism

Belafay, for her part, was entirely motionless. No breath, no subtle muscle twitch. Still as a statue, as it were. She knew this game well enough. She'd fallen in with some bandits years ago and had learned the art of the ambush. Granted she had never seen someone imitate a squirrel as part of an ambush.

But what Belafay knew more than anything was that as part of an ambush you couldn't let the victims of said ambush call out for help. She found a stone in the ditch, slightly bigger than a person's eye and jagged on one edge. This would do for the task at hand.

She waited patiently for Richter to grab at the bandit who had come closer, pondering briefly to herself why the bandit was bothering to come check on a squirrel. It didn't matter either way. Her eyes were set on the second bandit.

As soon as the conflict between Richter and the first bandit set into motion, Balafay took that as her cue to act. Partially standing up out of her cover, she whipped her arm around and threw the stone with an inhuman amount of strength. The stone whipped through the air and struck the man across the side of his head, dropping him to the forest floor like a sack of potatoes. He was bleeding pretty badly from the wound, but it was uncertain if he was dead or merely unconscious.

Content with her strike, Belafay turned and watched Richter, ready to attack the bandit he was engaged with at a moment's notice.

Nova_Eclipse

If the knight was surprised or otherwise caught off-guard by the golem girl's proactive approach in eliminating the spear-wielding bandit the instant he reached out to grab the mace-user, he did not show it.  Instead, as she threw the jagged stone at the spearman, he lashed out with a jab to the mace-user's throat that was augmented by the fact that Richter was wearing metal gauntlets.

A muted crunch came from the bandit's throat, and he fell to the ground gurgling and gasping silently for air through his crushed trachea.

His well-deserved suffering was ended with a metal-clad foot that caved in the front of the bandit's face, a small splatter of blood splashing upwards from the impact and covering Richter's greaves in crimson.

With the bandit now deceased, Richter glanced over at Belafay with a raised brow that was invisibke beneath his helmet, but very much audible in his voice, "That wasn't exactly how I'd planned our little ambush to play out, but I suppose that doesn't really matter in the end considering it worked out reasonably well.  For the record, try not to assume that any movements I make are signals to attack if we do something like this again; if I give you a signal, I'll have you told what it was beforehand - understood, Miss Belafay?"

Kadakism

If there was any protest or question in Belafay's mind about this new set of orders, of not attacking until Richter gave her s specific signal, she did not show it. She merely bowed to him, her eyes cast to the ground as she replied as she often did: "As you wish, sir."

That formality out of the way, her eyes focused briefly on the man who had wielded the mace. He was clearly dead, or at least she assumed as much. It was hard, sometimes, to remember if humans were incredibly fragile or durable.

Either way, the message was clear. Moving herself over to the bandit with the spear, she retrieved the weapon from his body and plunged the point into his chest. Perhaps he was dead before, but Ser Richter had struck twice to make certain his opponent would not get up.

Belafay decided that she would hold on to the spear for now. It may come in handy later, she justified to herself. Turning back to the knight, significantly less blood soaked than himself, she said, "He is dead. I will follow your lead, Ser Richter."