Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Treading Water [Whim]

Started by resolution, August 28, 2019, 02:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resolution

The rain seemed endless. Three days and nights it had gone on for, and it did not make people friendlier. Even my usual benefactors weren't feeling very benevolent. Egan, the local leatherworker, would normally let me strip and dry hides if he had any, but in this weather there wouldn't be much hunting, and even less drying of hides - the humidity putrefied them all.

Most of the inner city pathways were cobblestoned, but here, in the outer slums of the city, they were dirt - or in this case mud. I'd long ago lost any feeling in my toes, the cold rain seeping through the many cracks in the soles, when I made my way to the apothecary. With any luck, Marko would be there and not the owner. On occasion I managed to persuade Marko to give me chores to do - cleaning, sorting and labelling newly arrived herbs and compounds, discarding overdue ingredients. As long as I stayed out of sight of his customers and allowed him to squeeze my ass every time he passed me.

He wasn't the worst.

I reached the apothecary and went round the back. Before letting myself in I tried to make myself presentable. Squeezing the worst of the rainwater out of my hair and combing it back with my fingers and my dress followed suit, before I realised I wasn't making much of a difference. I practiced smiling.

I pushed against the heavy door and stepped into the back room of the apothecary. Someone had lit a fire in the hearth and a deep sigh of relief escaped me. I'd almost forgotten what warmth felt like. We didn't have much of a fire at home.

My relief lasted only a few seconds, and before I could take more than a few steps towards the hearth, the apotheker Denis had entered the back room and his face turned red in anger.

"What the devil are you doing here?!" he spluttered, second chin wagging with every syllable. "Get out, witch! And don't let me find you here again!"

He took a broom from the corner next to the hearth and started swatting it at me. I don't think he would have actually hit me, but he made his point, and I made my exit. The rain felt colder after the fire in the hearth. I looked at my worn old boots as the stepped from puddle to puddle, wondering if today was the day I would finally fail.

There was only one place left to go. One place, before I'd have to resort to my worst nightmare again. I wrapped my arms around myself and dragged my feet to the Warrior's Valor Tavern.

It was quiet inside. I stood dripping in the doorway for a moment, getting my bearings in the semi-dark room, when a couple of the few present occupants started shouting at me to close the door. I hurried inside, looking for the owner.

Ettron, or Ed, was one of the very few people who didn't pretend like they had never known me before the 'incident' happened. He had been a friend of my father's, and my mother had once cured him of purple fever.

"Hey El," he said, spotting me before I spotted him. "Shit weather, ain't it."

I nodded, approaching the end of the c-shaped bar where he was polishing some glasses. "No luck with work terday, eh?"

"That obvious, huh?" I said. Ed shrugged. "Ya jus look like ya've been wandering 'round town awhile, dassal."

"You gotta give me something, Ed," I said, trying to keep the note of desperation out of my voice. "Look, I could clean - I could cook --"

"There ain't nothin' ter do," said Ed, shaking his head. "I got no more 'n ten people in here terday. Yer looking at eight of 'em here. I had ter send Mel home too, people ain't going out in this weather."

I bit hard on the inside of my mouth, trying to keep my shit together. "Please, Ed," I said quietly. I hated having to beg, but I'd come to the point where I had no choice anymore. "Please. I'll do anything, anything you want. Just don't make me go back to the Peach."

Ed raised his eyebrows and looked me up and down. "Doubt even the Randy Peach'd take ya honey, lookin' like that."

That was one strike too many, and the tears blended with the rainwater on my face. Even as Ed started apologising, I had already turned my back to him and fled back into the rain.

Whim

Niamh had mixed feelings about Harakat being dead. He was a necromancer and probably did terrible things; the notion of her mother shuffling around some drafty tower with a tea tray did not sit well. Of course he was a shy young man, rather quiet, and a good customer. An arrow through the heart ended his life in a muddy alley of Zantaric. Niamh was unsure if it was a mugging, or something more sinister, but necromantic books and paraphernalia were not the sort of thing you bequeathed to family in a will. Harakat's tower was empty and ripe for the plucking. She knew he lived in a miserable little hamlet called Thorkyl in the Draconi forest but not much else. It wasn't even on a map.

The sky was dark when her wagon rolled its way into Ketra's southern gate. A thick blanket of clouds hid the sun and stars and only dim lanterns illuminated the muddy labyrinth of the outer walls. There wasn't a soul on the muddy streets; usually the caravansary was filled with dicing teamsters and chattering merchants. "Keep an eye on the wagon. I'll bring you out some food." She nudged the boy awake. He was sleeping in the back, legs propped up against the driver's seat.

"Alright." He called out in a deliberately small and plaintive voice. "Can I borrow your cloak? Its cold out."

Niamb heaved a sigh. It wasn't like there was anything of value besides the wagon and ox. With her luck it would get stolen. "Fine, we'll both go if it stops you from being such a little shit."

Ewan bit his lip to hide a smirk, and they trudged across the muddy courtyard and into the warrior's valor; a hooded woman in boiled leathers, and a dirty boy in linen britches.

The Warrior's Valor was quiet but for the patter of rain off the gutters. It was a disappointment. She was expecting a packed inn and good conversation. You'd get tired of traveling with one person after a while, especially when they warble forever about animal facts and inane riddles. Dinner was steaming pot of stew with tough mutton. Niamh was grateful for every bite. They ate in silence, watching what few surly patrons lurked about. Niamh wanted a chat with the bartender to get some directions, but there was a ragged girl making an emotional scene. At her age you shouldn't be grubbing for the privilege of licking boots. At her age you should have a husband, or a trade, or at least a little dignity. By her look she'd be better off ploughing fields than trying to live in a city.

The girl was crying now, and marching past them and out of the bar. "Hey! You!" Niamh's barked. "You live around these parts? I'm new to Ketra; I could use directions. Or maybe a guide." The peddler decided to pretend as if she hadn't heard the full exchange. Niamh had to beg for odd jobs through her girlhood. It was the charity work: the of cleaning spotless rugs, and feeding of well-fed horses, that was the worst of it all.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

resolution

I halted a step short of the threshold and turned to face whoever it had been to shout at me. A woman and a young boy sat together at a table with mostly empty bowls of stew in front of them. Just looking at them made my stomach growl angrily. I didn't register much more of their appearance than that - I looked at them mostly so I wouldn't look at the food leftovers, so insistently trying to push their way into focus and out of my peripheral view. It seemed a law of the universe that anything you didn't wish to see, and tried to block out, would grow to immense proportions in your mind, would not be unseen, would become your nemesis of the moment - and in my mind I was sitting in a pot of stew twice as big as myself, eating my way through for days and days. I couldn't be sure, but I thought I remembered I had some bread and beef jerkey... a day and a half ago?

I made my way to their table slowly, dripping as I went, and when I faced the woman I brought my hands up to my face and wiped away the tears and rain in a single sweep. "A guide?"

She'd probably heard me talking to Ed. I was back on the double-edged knife I walked so often - if she knew I was desperate, she would take advantage of me, but if I took too hard a line of negotiation she'd dismiss me and gone was my first source of income in a week. I pushed some wet strands of hair behind my ears and crossed my arms over my chest. "It'll cost you," I said. "I don't do charity, especially in this weather."

Whim

Niamh snorted with amusement. The girl had more backbone than anticipated. "A paid guide is what I need. This is going to be a little more than a tour of the neighborhood. I'm looking for a village called Thorkul. I think its a day or so west of Ketra? It has a crumbly old tower with a wizard nearby?" This was a hard dance. Niamh did not want to draw too much attention to the village and tower, but too vague and she wasn't liable to get anywhere. Harakat was always careful, but if he was known as a necromancer it was dangerous to drop his name. And he was not, after all, careful enough to avoid be killed.

"And I've forgotten my manners. I'm Niamh. I run a little antiques business down in Zantaric." She cracked a smile, not an easy thing for her, extending a scarred hand. "The kid is Ewan."

With Niamh's back turned the boy snuck a gulp from her flagon. It had been ages since he got to drink alcohol. It was a terrible idea. His palette was far used to sweeter things, and the bitter taste and burn made him sputter. And now they were looking at him. "Pleased to meet you," he managed a sheepish wave. "I help out at her shop. I'm the one who actually does magic, too!"

Niamh rolled her eyes.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

resolution

Thorkul. An obscure, insignificant village with an appropriately small-minded population of less than one hundred. Not a place many people even knew the name of, but I had happened to pass through it on a long journey I made years ago. Obscure, insignificant - and not an option. I forced myself to keep a straight posture but nevertheless I felt my shoulders drop a fraction, along with my heart.

I reluctantly grasped Niamh's hand with my cold fingers, and for the first time noticed that her braided hair was blue. Somehow I'd missed that, seeing only a potential job offer rather than a human being. I was too tired to reprimand myself but I made a mental note to do it later.

"Elowen," I said quietly, managing a sort of upwards motion of the corners of my mouth when Ewan spoke. I'd always had a soft spot for children, which was partly what made me so desperate for money from time to time and inclined to give away what little I had to the street kids who had even less. I was a stupid woman.

"I know Thorkul, but... I can't leave home for two days straight right now. Afraid you'll have to find someone else."

My thoughts were already drifting to the road I'd have to take to get to the Randy Peach, the last place I could go to scrape an income, when suddenly I found a tiny spark of hope.

"Unless... you could pay in advance?"

Whim

"Well if you go along with us you won't be having much chance to spend it." The trader furrowed her brow with a hint of suspicion. Paying a stranger up front, as an out of towner, was just asking to be swindled. Her expression softened some remembering the girl was grubbing for the privilege of scrubbing pots. "Sorry. You'll have to pardon the suspicion. I've not been in Ketra for a while. My first pass was not good."

"What about half." Ewan piped in, looking rather pleased about his suggestion.

Niamh gave him a withering look, probing her mouth. The story was beginning to come together. "You're in debt I suppose?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

"In debt?"

I hesitated for a moment. "Sure."

No need to put all my cards on the table now. The sick mother sob story wouldn't come out unless nothing else would persuade Niamh to play the game my way. I checked the clock sitting on the mantelpiece and felt my anxiety rise again. Not much time left now.

"I'll need an hour or so before we leave," I said. I bit the inside of my mouth and attempted to come up with a good way of convincing her I wouldn't just take the money and run.

"I can meet you back here." I gestured at the innkeeper, who was giving a semi-realistic performance of polishing glasses while appearing not to listen. "Ed here knows where I live. If I'm not back in an hour he'll tell you where to find me."

Ed's gaze had instantly swung over to us when his name was heard, and after a brief look at Niamh and Ewan he nodded in confirmation.

"What can you pay me?" I asked Niamh.

Whim

She was being fidgetty about something for sure. Junksnuff habit? A working girl who owed her madam? And how much do you pay a peasant girl to give you a tour for that matter? "How is twenty moons for two days work?" Its about what you'd pay a big lad to hold a spear and look tough; generous for a guide, but Niamh felt bad.

"I'm sure Ed is very nice." She thrust a nod toward the bartender, who was pretending to wipe down some mugs. "But I don't know Ed. And for all I know you might never come back. I'll pay up front if you need the money, but I'll be coming along. I don't care what you need it for. Whatever ails a girl from Ketra isn't going to faze me; I've seen stranger."

Niamh's gaze turned toward the muddy streets and unrelenting rain. Most of her life was spent fighting for the pleasure of sitting by a warm fire during a downpour. And without fail she was pulled back into gloomy streets in terrible weather. At least the lanterns were pretty. They swayed to and fro in the breeze, the downpour refracting their glow into a corona of firelight.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

My heart soared when Niamh named her price and I tried not to let my relief show on my face. Twenty moons! That would buy me a solid seven-day buffer. The only place I could possibly get more was the Randy Peach, but I wouldn't ever go there again unless it was a matter of life and death. And Niamh, for whatever reason, had just saved me from reliving that experience.

"And half up front, yes?" I asked, just to be sure. "In that case, I'm in agreement. If you want to leave shortly I'm ready when you are, I have a couple of stops to make before we can head for Thorkul."

I eyed the mantelpiece clock again. If I wanted to catch the traders I needed we'd need to move soon, not many of them would stay open much longer in this weather.

Whim

"Right. Let's get to it." Niamh plucked a change purse from her belt, counting out the coins and placing them firmly into Elowen's cupped hand. "Ewan, mind the wagon won't you? Rather you not get lost. Or, worse yet, make trouble. Ketra's dangerous."

"You know I've never been to Ketra before, and I haven't even gotten to see one of the dragons! Can't I come along? No matter how you look at it I'm more old enough to mind myself." He heaved a sigh and rolled his eyes, looking to their new companion for some shred of support. Whether twenty five or ten it was rather embarrassing after all. "When have I ever gotten you into trouble?"

"Usually when you run off and don't pay attention. Come along, but we're not taking a tour. We're hitting the road once Elowen's errands are done. If you're wanting company, by all means."

Niamh pulled a hood over her head and squished out into the rain. Between Adela's sturdier walls, and the outer palisade, was a a maze of shanties, wagons, and tents. It was a sort of extension of the City, unplanned growth as farmers fled inward from the Duhjari only to find the rocky hills and woods of Adela even less hospitable. "How long have you lived in Ketra? You don't seem the City-dwelling sort. Then again most people aren't." Just how a peasant girl could get in this much trouble was a point of curiosity, but the merchant thought better of it.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

The coins in my hand felt like the first drink of water after long days of being parched, and it was all I could do not to cry in relief. My fingers closed around the coins and squeezed them tightly, so much that it hurt, but the cold metal soothed and sang with the promise of days without despair. I was saved.

"Perhaps I can show you some more of Ketra when the weather is better," I said and smiled gently at Ewan and his pouting. Remarkable, how a few bits of metal could make me that much less bitter.I found my small money pouch in the pocket of my dress and carefully placed the coins in, counting them off one by one. I pulled the string tight to close the opening, and then wrapped the string around my wrist, the pouch itself cupped in my hand. These small bits of metal were as precious to me as any diamond - nobody would take them away from me. I nodded goodbye at Ed before following Niamh out into the street and shivered when the rain once more harrassed my already wet skin and clothes.

"How long have you lived in Ketra?" asked Niamh, as we walked down the lane towards the palisade. "You don't seem the City-dwelling sort. Then again most people aren't."

I shrugged as I fingered the purse in my hand. "I've always lived in Ketra. Though we used to live in a better part of the city."

I paused for just a moment. "We even had a garden."

A deafening WOOSH and white-hot pain thundered through my memories and I shook my head to get rid of the vision. I increased my pace.

"We're headed for Galoren's shop," I said instead. "He's a quack and his remedies never work, but he does sell various travel rations and good quality compounds. We'll need to go there first."

Whim

The Soul Apothecary was dark. Bushels of dried herbs and animal skulls dangled from the ceiling, and the aroma of spice and dried berries hung in the air. Golaren sat perched on a stool in the far corner. He was a younger man, hair twisted into many braids and each capped with a bell. He beamed, hopping off a chair with a jangle. His robes were far too long. "E-Elowen! Its been so long! H-how are you? Good? Yes! I suppose you'll be wanting Willowbark and aetherfrond?"

At once the little man began scurrying to and fro gathering up her usual ingredients. "Y-you know the skull of a H-Hedge Weasel is purported to enhance the effects of the charm! I have one just here for, oh, ten moons?"

Niamh and Ewan shuffled in after her. The merchant stood near the door, arms crossed. It felt a bit awkward holding the girl sort-of-captive while she ran errands, and it seemed best to give her space and privacy. She could not help but roll her eyes at the strange little man bobbing about and thrusting various fetishes and animal parts in Elowen's face.

The boy, meanwhile, took the opportunity to explore the shop a bit. Or, at least, pretended to sort through a barrel of dried out glands. He picked one up to idly inspect it. The Blue Orchid back in Zantaric had way more interesting stuff anyone. But what would you expect from some backwater like Adela? What the peasant girl was doing interested him much more. Aetherfrond grew along leylines and soaked magical energies like other plants did sunlight. It was not the sort of thing you'd use for home remedies.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

Due to my dire financial circumstances it had been a while since I'd seen Golaren. He was one of these people that was only visited by other people when they had need of them. No self-respecting townsfolk or otherwise would be seen with him in all his eccentricity. I wouldn't say I was friends with him - what friends did I have, truly - but I could sympathise with his unoffical status of exile, of outsider looking in.

"Hello, Golaren," I said. "Yes, the usual please."

His chattiness was fatiguing on any day, but today I was uncomfortably aware of Niamh and Ewan's presence. Aetherfrond was not an over-the-counter ingredient - in fact, Golaren only stocked it because I had promised I would buy a certain amount every month. It was unlikely that a ten-odd year old kid would know anything about it, but if Niamh had heard of it, questions might be asked. My situation was no secret in Ketra, but people usually reacted in one of one ways, and it was never of any benefit to me.

I brushed aside some rings of garlic hanging from the rafters as I followed him around and waved away Golaren's attempts to sell me useless amulets and good-luck charms. "You know what I need, Golaren," I said. "The herbs only please. Oh, and some travel rations, enough for a day and a night. The hard biscuits will do."

Jerky was much more expensive. I calculated the sum needed for my order - eight moons, but that left enough for some final supplies for home.

Whim

"And you're sure you don't want the-!" Galoren's face fell, setting down the skull. "Rations? I think I have some hardtack in the larder. But you're sure?" The herbalist could tell by her face and scuttled off to the back room. Most of his business was vegetables and foodstuffs. The quackery, in which he genrally believed, ignored by most of the neighborhood.

The spiny, elastic glands which Ewan had begun digging through had become genuinely interesting to the boy. He picked one up and caught it, giving it a squeeze. A gout of sweet-smelling smoke emerged! "Woah!" his face lit up. "I've never seen this before!"

He gave it another squeeze, gently, which produced a gout of vaporous effluvium. It was the gonad of the lowland Adelan salamander. Its secretions produced a boiling spray that was used as an antiseptic by some local herbalists.

"Put it back. Might be poisonous." Niamh had enough of unpredictable sorcery in her line of work. Curses and hexes she understood and could handle. Alchemy and haruspicy? Not so much.

"I think I'd like to buy it, actually." he snatched a purse of coins from his pocket, holding it up proudly. "Its interesting."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

"Please also a bottle of milk and two loaves of bread, if you have them!" I called after him as he retreated to the back room. I tried to warm myself a little, rubbing my arms, while I waited for Galoren. Looking around I recognised what Ewan was playing with and found myself torn between amusement over the boy's curiosity, and mild worry over his playing with things he didn't fully understand.

"Niamh's right, you know," I said quietly, stepping closer to the pair. "Those glands are used as a cheap antiseptic for infections and open wounds, but overexposure has been known to lead to disorientation and hallucination, in some cases even coma."

I moved to the other side of the barrel and found the small jute drawstring pouches stored in a wicker basket. "Here," I said, offering one to Ewan. "You should at least make sure it's kept in its pouch unless you have a use for it."

Whim

"Milk and bread..." Golaren called back in a singsing voice. "I'm not really a grocer. But- oh! Here we go!" There came a rustling of boxes and bottles as Golaren shuffled about the shop, collecting her order.

"I wasn't going to breathe the smoke..." Ewan turned red at the admonishment, setting down down the gland he'd been playing catch with. He actually had no idea it was poisonous... "Wasn't expecting you to know so much about herbalism! Just what is this anyway? And aetherfern! You got plans for it? It eats magic but I guess you'd know, that or why would you buy it? I guess it does have a nice color."

It was easy to forget the kid was actually useful at times. The scutwork he did certainly did not make up for how annoying he could be. But why was a peasant girl, begging for the privilege of cleaning pots, buying up expensive and arcane plants? Niamh's curiosity was piqued, but she remained a silent observer. Golaren seemed the sort of man who tried to weasel his way into your life. Everything about him reeked of the boredom, loneliness, and desperation that made a person bad at keeping secrets.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

"Aetherfrond," I corrected before I could bite my tongue. A familiar, heavy pit nestled in the centre of my stomach, something that always happened when the reason for my situation came so close to being discussed. I managed a quick smile. "Yes, it is quite pretty."

Niamh was noticeably silent and I had the feeling she was drinking in every word of the conversation. I swallowed to try and rid myself of the bad taste in my mouth and put the jute pouch back with its brothers and sisters before attempting a casual shrug.

"I used to be apprenticed to a healer." My fingers brushed a jar of fox eyes on a plinth - which had absolutely no function - and peered into the back room. Galoren had to be back soon.

"Didn't work out though. The healer quit and I never found another who would employ me."

Whim

"Well you seem to know your stuff! I've been doing alchemy for years! I bet I could show you- oh, right, aetherfrond..." Well ferns had fronds! He wasn't that off. Pushing thoughts from his mind, Ewan took the pouch and happily ensconced the gland within. "Anyway with a little vivification I bet this could really burn something!"

Belled braids jingling, the shopkeeper heaved a basket onto the counter-top: jars of aetherfrond, bread, milk, rations. He took eight moons from Elowen, and nearly all of Ewan's coin purse. Galoren tried his best to advise a hedge-weasel skull would be a perfect catalyst to no avail.

And soon the trio were back in the rain. "You could get a job under that one, or run him out of business." Niamh shook her head. "Shouldn't be chasing odd jobs if you've got a trade, or nearly got one." Miamh cringed some as she said it. It was the sort of thing meant to be encouraging, but there was probably more story to all this. Sad story, or not, you either took good advice and swam - or you sank.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

"Well you seem to know your stuff!" said Ewan. "I've been doing alchemy for years! I bet I could show you- oh, right, aetherfrond..."

I raised an eyebrow and studied the kid as he put the gland in one of the jute pouches. Years must be used the loosest sense of the word as he couldn't be older than what - ten? Maybe eleven? But then he was young, and any great amount of time must seem like years.

I inspected the bread and milk for at least moderate freshness (Galoren was, indeed, not a grocer, but he bought things others would otherwise throw away and sold them cheap), and reminded him of the willowbark before paying my eight moons and taking my basket.

When we were back outside, I directed Niamh and Ewan down the path that led closer to the outer wall. We went slightly downhill and the mud made little streams that made it hard get a grip on the floor. The rain was showing no signs of letting up and the sky was the kind of grey that could be dawn, midday or dusk all at once.

"You could get a job under that one, or run him out of business," said Niamh, referring to Galoren.  "Shouldn't be chasing odd jobs if you've got a trade, or nearly got one."

The anger bubble that perpetually pulsed beneath the surface of my composure flared, and my jaws tightened. I reminded myself there were ten more moons to come if I stayed on Niamh's good side. Ten more moons meant room to breathe, a fire in our hearth, food in our bellies. Ten more moons, I told myself. One more day.

"Thank you. That's good advice," I said through semi-clenched teeth, only partially managing to keep a civil tone. I was glad Galoren's shop was only three streets away from where I lived so at least this conversation wouldn't have to be continued.

I stopped next to the outer wall and hesitated. We were next to the house I lived in, but most people never noticed it unless they saw someone coming out or going into the house. Wedged in between two houses was a wooden housefront that had just room for one narrow door and an even narrower window. The window used to have glass, but it had long gone and was covered with a curtain in summer and boarded up in winter. As it was not quite winter yet, it was only a curtain now. The door hung loosely in its frame and when opened, the hinges screamed as rust ground on rust. At one point, the facade might have been painted, but now part of it was covered in ivy and the part that wasn't was rough, flecked with wood mould, and stained with the weather of years.

Behind that door was where I lived, and I stood still for long moments fighting to find a reason to keep out Niamh and Ewan.

"You can wait there," I said brusquely, pointing at an awning on my neighbour's house. "You'll be sheltered from the rain and I won't be longer than half an hour."

I didn't wait for anyone to argue with me and marched towards the door, and it creaked and screeched shut behind me.

Whim

"Take your time. So long as we stay dry." Niamh braced herself against a wall, drawing from a hip flask and watching the rain. The girl had no intention of taking her advice. No follow-up questions, no little story about why her life wasn't working out. Too proud to change? Something to hide? It was intriguing enough that Niamh couldn't let it go. There was something ghoulish about prying into others' dramas, she supposed, but everyone did it. Everyone who wasn't some dull-eyed cow, anyway.

"What do you think, kiddo?"

"Seems okay." Ewan shook his hair his hair like a wet dog. "She knows some wizard-stuff. Real shame she didn't get to be a healer."

"More to her than she let's on, isn't there?" There was a certain art to asking questions. If you wanted a lot of information you asked questions where the answer could be anything. If you wanted to persuade someone? You asked questions where the only possible answer was what you needed done.

"Well what do you think she's doing? Its kind of a dingy place for a witch to live." The boy was a little sullen about being corrected twice. He certainly knew what he was doing, and his new body was perfect. Safety was hardly a concern when you could regenerate from anything! And maybe she was just desperate for money to get her hands on one key reagent? "Ya think she's up to something?"

It did not take much more prompting. The boy darted around the bend, pattering through the mud up to the front window. No glass, just linen drapes. He could hear muffled whispers and candle-light beyond. Very carefully a pair of tiny fingers peeled it back, and he peaked inside...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: