Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Treading Water [Whim]

Started by resolution, August 28, 2019, 02:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resolution

I was immediately assaulted by two small, human-shaped projectiles when I closed the door behind me. Jaq and Jacie slammed into my legs as soon as I turned around.

"Have you got anything to eat, Ellie?" Jacie asked with the loudness and fervour of children, and both looked up at me pleadingly and with hungry eyes.

"You know not to call me Ellie," I admonished automatically, careful to keep my basket out of their reach. It physically hurt to see them like this. The twins were much smaller and skinnier than other kids their age, and because I was often from home they had to help out in the house, wasting their childhood away and frequently acting beyond their years.

I looked around the single room of the house. The inside walls were just as dingy as the outside ones. On the right hand side were a large set of doors, which when opened up revealed a sort of bed closet. The bed filled the entire space behind the doors and was shared by all four of us. At the back of the room was a small hearth, fireless, with an empty cooking pot over it, and on either side the walls were lined with shelves that contained a mixture of herbs, spices, and a host of pots and jars whose contents could only belong to a healer's lab. On the left hand side of the room was an undrawn curtain revealing a tub, for bathing. It wasn't used as much as it should be, at least not in this weather when the cold made taking a bath in cold water even more unpleasant.

There was one wobbly wooden table in the middle of the room, with three equally wobbly and worn chairs around it. Normally, a small wooden stool also sat next to it, to replace the chair that had been used for firewood in a particularly tough winter, but I found the stool when I found the last occupant of my house.

My mother was sitting on the stool in the corner under our single window. She hadn't acknowledged my presence at all, and she showed all the signs of the final stage of her condition, the one that preceded another disaster.

I cursed to myself as I rushed to her side, kneeling before her and lifting her face to check her. Sadie was hugging her knees, rocking back and forth continuously. Her eyes were large and round and empty, directed at my face only because I had positioned myself in front of it. Her dark hair, once so similar to mine, hung in clumps around her face, dirty and uneven where she had torn out fistfuls out of sheer anguish.

I bit back the tears, even though seeing her like this made another piece of my heart break off, and turned away. I set my basket on the table and fished our last remaining coals from the container next to the hearth.

"DON'T even think about it," I hissed sharply at the twins who had been inching towards the basket on the table. They flinched and backed away. I lit a fire with a combination of coals and wood, and hung the pot over the fire. Taking a jar from the shelves beside the hearth, I emptied its contents in the pot and shredded the willowbark into it. As it was heating up, I took the bread and tore off a few hunks, giving one each to Jaq and Jacie. They devoured it within the few seconds it took me to pour milk in some rudimentary wooden cups.

"That's all for today," I warned them when handing them the cups, ignoring my own growling tummy. The contents of the pot were sufficiently warm now, and I placed the aetherfrond inside it. The potion hissed and turned an eye-watering shade of sky blue. I gave the mixture a final stir and then dipped a cup into it, filling it to the brim. It was when I turned to take it to my mother that I noticed the beam of weak daylight cast on the floor, and the eyes peering through the gap between curtain and window frame.

Whim

Squalor, two scrawny boys, and a catatonic woman. This was not the mystery and excitement the Ewan had hoped for. It was the secret shame everybody has but you willfully overlook: messy houses, doddering grans and so on. He was ready to turn back when Elowen's green gaze met his own. With a gasp he ducked behind beneath the window. Determined to pretend she had not just seen him, Ewan crept through the mud, along the side of the house, and back toward the awning to meet Niamh.

The Kiefers' lone window fronted an tiny alley from which there was no escape, except to pass directly by their front door. It was only a few steps. A few steps and the boy could deny everything. But just as Ewan crossed the threshold he heard the door tear open behind him!
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

resolution

"What the - -"

I cursed under my breath when I realised it was Ewan who had been spying through the window.

"Who was that?!" said Jaq, who'd been watching my every move in hopes of more food being revealed. I was barely able to get out a "nobody" before he raced to the door and threw it open.

In turn, I threw my hands up in the air and proceeded to give my mother the much needed potion. I tilted her face up with some difficulty, as she was now rocking back and forth even more violently, and forced the potion down her throat. I used to be kinder. I used to be patient and gentle, speaking to her soothingly in moments like these.

That was before.

"Why were you looking at us?" I heard Jaq say into the rain. He was probably only half Ewan's age and size, but in spite of that his tone wasn't all too friendly and I recognised my own recently acquired cynicism about people in him. If I'd had more time, I'd mourn the loss of his childhood. He and Jacie hadn't had much love or attention, with their mother in various stages of stupor at all times, and me always out to try and put bread on the table. Perhaps the twins would still turn out okay. They'd grow up knowing the hardships life could bring, and they were already promising to be a handsome bunch with dark curls and deep brown eyes. With any luck they'd find a way to get out of Ketra and make their own luck.

Whim

Ewan gave the boy a wide-eyed look, not really expecting such a small child to be so brazen. There was no running away either. "I, uh-" his mind raced to spin an excuse. "Me and Niamh were waiting outside for Elowen. But I hadda piss so I went into the alley? And-

"Well I heard kids. I didn't think Elowen had any and I got curious is all. Sorry" That would have to do. Sometimes it was just easiest to play the part he was given; a kid looking for a potential friend made more sense than seeing if she was a witch.

Niamh heard a pair of voices squeaking back and forth. She decided not to intervene. Better they think the the little best was snooping than she out him up to it. One of the advantages of keeping the kid around, really.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

resolution

Jaq's face popped around the rickety door, filled with questions. "Why...?" he started.

"I'm doing a job for him and his friend," I said curtly by way of explanation. Jaq's eyes became wide and round. Jacie's attention was now also roused and he squeezed in beside his brother.

"Are you rich?!" he asked excitedly, scanning Ewan's clothes for pockets bulging with coins. I sighed and rinsed the cup I used for potion in a bucket of rainwater, placed so that it would catch as much of that as possible dripping down from the leaky roof. The remaining potion I poured into the jar from which the base potion had come. Enough for eight cups. Eight days.

I tore off another hunk of bread and poured a third cup of milk. The life was starting to come back to my mother's eyes, and she'd stopped rocking back and forth, now hugging herself as she was prone to after an episode of this intensity. When I handed her her meal, it only took a few seconds before she realised what to do with it and hungrily attacked the bread.

"Come inside now boys," I said, herding them back in. "I'll be out soon," I said to Ewan. I found I was unable to look at him, a mixture of anger, shame and frustration forcing me to turn away, even though he was just a kid. I closed the door and turned towards Sadie. She'd finished her food in a heartbeat and was looking at me with the same expression of shame, only so much more intense. I couldn't look at her, either.

Before she could speak I picked up the jar of potion and rearranged it on the shelf. "I have to go away for a day or two," I said while I wrapped up the half loaf of bread in a cloth. "I've made enough potion for another eight days, and you've got enough food for tomorrow. Maybe another day if you ration it."

I placed both the milk bottle and bread on the shelf, out of direct reach of the boys.

Sadie coughed heavily before she could answer." Wh-what kind of a job is it?"

"Tour guide around the surrounding towns," I said, digging up a small leather shoulder bag from the bed closet. I put my travel rations and my now empty money pouch inside, as well as a threadbare blanket I thought my family could do without. I hesitated with my hand on the doorknob, but I had no words. As usual.

"Keep the boys out of trouble," I said. I left before anyone could reply.

The rain felt harsher now that I'd spent some moments by a fire. My now damp clothes were instantly soaked again when I made my way to the awning where Niamh and Ewan were waiting. I hoped my blanket would at least stay dry.

"I'm done," I said.

Whim

Ewan chewed his lip apologetically as Elowen approached, expecting to be snapped at. Even if the little wizard was just playing the part of an over-curious brat, the scoldings did sting after a time. There was tension in the air for certain, she knew that he knew that she knew. Maybe it was best to play dumb...

"That one yours?" Niamh rattled off instructively. "It shouldn't be trouble to tote them along if they need looking after." Ewan had explained the sick woman and the skinny boys. The father was probably dead or run off and Elowen scrambling to sooth some peasant pox with twigs and berries. Sad.

They wandered back through the rat's nest of shacks and tents and toward the Warrior's Valor. Niamh's ox and cart were as she left them. The paint was chipped, and the sides pock-marked where a volley arrows struck it, but the roof was thankfully intact. "Should fit the lot of us. We're all set, I suppose?" She gestured toward the stable where the ox was kept, nudging Ewan in its direction without a word.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

I found I still couldn't bear to look at the boy, and I stayed at Niamh's side as we walked back to the Inn. Two children had spurned me in my intention to keep my own business to myself, and I sighed inwardly at the questions I would now have to answer. I could always say I did not want to explain and hope they'd leave well enough alone, but judging by the boy's actions at least one of them would dig and dig and dig. More importantly, I lived in eternal fear of putting off the few people kind enough to give me a job, and if Niamh were ever to pass through these parts again I wanted her to remember me if she needed a job doing.

"They're mine, but not in that way," I therefore said with a resigned note I couldn't quite keep out of my voice. "The twins are my little brothers. I try to take care of them because my mother can't anymore, and nobody else will."

I inspected the cart that belonged to Niamh and could hardly keep the relief off my face. It had a roof. For a whole day, I would be dry. Or, at least once the damp had left my clothes.

"Should fit the lot of us. We're all set, I suppose?" Niamh asked. I nodded and peered in the direction in which Ewan was being nudged, noticing an ox in the open-fronted stables.

"I can help with that," I said quickly. Better start earning my keep. "I'm good with animals."

Whim

Niamh gave a nod, leaving it to Elowen if she wanted to help hitch the ox. Ewan did not really manage much magic after all, and had to earn his keep. "Haven't named him yet. Seemed like bad luck, especially on these roads."

The smuggler climbed into the driver seat, beckoning her newfound guide to join her. "Good of you to help your mother." A hollow complement; the girl had no choice to do as she did. "You ever consider moving on? Seems with two boys you'd do better on a farm than in Ketra. Family won't get by on scrubbing pots and odd jobs." Not to mention the sort of girl who made real money at the Randy Peach went about her work with more pride and enthusiasm.

"And I don't know what ails your mother, but I've dealt with a wizard or two in my time. If the fellow with the bells is the best Ketra can offer you can do without." The wagon rolled perilously through the muck and down the promenade of Ketra proper. It was nowhere so grand as the Serenian cities she remembered from her girlhood, but there was still a comforting familiarity about it. The Adelans here were more primly dressed, eschewing the tribal colors and sarapes worn by the poor in the slums. If not for the rain they'd likely be swarmed by merchants.

In an effort to avoid Elowen's scornful gaze Ewan had clambered into the back of the wagon, curling into a corner with a blanket and his book. She'd probably forget the whole thing anyway. Some dirty peasant should be flattered he even took a moment's interest, really...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

I introduced myself to the ox in silence, feeling a small degree of calm descend on me when I patted its broad neck. The predictability and instinctive nature of animals always made me feel that way, and the only regret I had was that I never had enough money to keep any pets.

When the ox was hitched to the wagon, I settled down next to Niamh in the driver's seat after I squeezed the most of the water out of the skirts of my dress and my hair, hoping to accelerate the drying process when I was no longer continuously battered by the rain.

"Good of you to help your mother," said Niamh as she spurred the ox to movement. "You ever consider moving on? Seems with two boys you'd do better on a farm than in Ketra. Family won't get by on scrubbing pots and odd jobs."

I was silent for a moment, deciding how much to elaborate. "I have considered many things," I said then, continuing to wrangle my dress. "But we'd have to go far in order to find a place we'd be able to make a living, and my mother can't be moved that easily. I'd need a cache both of money and of medicine, and neither are easy to come by."

"I don't know what ails your mother," replied Niamh, "but I've dealt with a wizard or two in my time. If the fellow with the bells is the best Ketra can offer you can do without."

I smiled, and was reminded how long it had been since I'd done that because of the stiffness of my jaws. "Galoren's not a wizard," I said. "I'm sure he'd love to be, but the closest he's come is by selling fake or sometimes accidentally real magical artifacts."

Pointing at the next turn to the right, I said "you'll want to take the north gate out of the city. Besides, my mother knew all the wizards and healers in Ketra, but none were too eager to lend a helping hand after... after she got sick."

Whim

"Of anyone I know who works magic nine out of ten haven't a proper clue. I suppose there must be true masters off somewhere. Somewhere better. But growing up in Serendipity I've had my fill of the nonsense." She cracked a smile. It was quite true. People with all their dramas and secrets were infinitely more interesting to Niamh than eldritch lore. "And I earn a living tracking and trading in it. Not that I'm magical myself."

"The boy is a proper wizard. Does it when I need it and that's enough." She paused. Now was as good a time to sate her curiosity as ever. "Mentioned that herb you bought, aetherfrond, is fiercely powerful. Sounds like you've got your hands full with whatever ails her." It was more a question than a statement.

A pair of slovenly guards were perched under an awning at the northern gate, glad in sodden gambesons more reminiscent of northern soldiers. They waved the two women and cart onward with a grunt; too lazy to search it. Soon they were rolling through the coniferous wilds. Scrubby pines loomed like monstrous shadows on either side, blotting out the light but for their lantern. 

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

I nodded agreement: Galoren was just one of many crooks fascinated by magic precisely because he didn't have any. I'd seen both sides of the same coin, and wasn't convinced either way.

The autumnal countryside rolled by and I pointed towards the left fork in the road up ahead. Outside the North city walls, the landscape changed quickly, a few scraggy trees soon followed by dense clumps of forestry and undergrowth. The road would soon narrow to fit just the one cart and perhaps a pedestrian alongside each other as it followed a gentle incline. A lone monk under a heavy hood made his way in the opposite direction of Niamh's cart, blending in perfectly with the browns of the fallen leaves. I couldn't remember the last time I didn't travel by foot.

"The boy is a proper wizard," said Niamh. "Does it when I need it and that's enough. Mentioned that herb you bought, aetherfrond, is fiercely powerful. Sounds like you've got your hands full with whatever ails her."

I remembered my mother's ragged clumps of hair, the despair and shame in her eyes, the two skinny boys too experienced in life for their age. A wave of regret washed over me like the rain, unrelenting, there even when it wasn't like a dark cloud obscuring my horizon. There was no room for it.

"He can't be older than what... Twelve?" I said instead, referring to Ewan. "Did he go to some kind of academy for youths or something? I've never met a kid who knows so much about an obscure herb. Or does he have experience with it?"

It was a diversion as much as I was genuinely interested.

Whim

Niamh tightened the grip on her sword as they passed the monk. She had been trained in that sword of paranoia long ago: to get prickly around things that did not fit like lonesome and unarmed travelers, people who asked too many questions, or peppered their stories with unnecessary detail. She heard him slink down the road behind them. Probably just a monk in the end.

"Well, you never can tell with magic can you?" Niamh cracked a jaded smile. "All that glamour and shapechanging you never know what's really what. Then again that's life isn't it? Little old lady slips something into your tea and you wake up without a purse; scar-faced brute has a thing for kittens and saves you from robbers.

"As for the boy? Says he was a man, but turned himself young trying to brew an elixir of youth. Knows his way around potions, spells, and monsters. But he did go out his way to moon a merchant who wasted my time. Hard to say what he is."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

I stared at Niamh, wondering if she'd been fooled by a child's play, having been subject to quite a few myself. I chanced a glance over my shoulder but couldn't spy the boy from where I was sitting. I went over Niamh's words again in my head. Moon a merchant...?!

An flash image of the scene projected in my mind and somehow, a genuine laugh escaped me. It was very nearly followed by a sob as I realised it had been so long since last I laughed that I couldn't remember it. I choked back the sob and sobered up.

"Sorry," I said. "I just... Imagined what that would have looked like for a moment. He must be a handful sometimes. I know my brothers are."

The road came to a T and I pointed Niamh towards the right path. "The shortest way to Thorkul is to go to the left here," I said in case she knew what general direction it was, as we were going the opposite, "but it's steeper, narrower, and it's unhardened dirt. In this weather we'd very merrily slide back down before we reach the main path again."

The right hand road actually went in the same direction, despite appearances, only it did it in a more zigzag way to decrease the degree of incline. Both sides of the path were now densely forested and I knew we would hardly see open spaces again until we reached Thorkul, a single nameless lumberjacks' settlement excluded. The ox would have much less difficulty scaling this path than the shorter, steeper one.

"How did you end up in the antiques business?" I asked, not exactly remembering what Niamh did.

Whim

"He- well, he can can be a handful, I suppose." She murmured. The difficulties of minding children were not something she often considered. "Your brother seemed nicely behaved. Different story when your back's turned I guess."

Niamh paused, probing her mouth. She preferred to bury the how and why of this. She was not anything like the girl who ran away from the order years ago, or a blubbering mess working for scraps. Not anymore. "I used to do some work for the Order of the Moon in Serendipity. Taught me how to handle find and handle dangerous magic. The eye for quality came later.

"Eventually you just learn that most mirrors from the myr Caladwyn dynasty have a little ghost in them that opens portals to other mirrors. At least the ones with the ocean motif. Mostly familiar with olden Serenian things. And that's what tends to interest my buyers." The girl was probably harmless. Still, it was best not to go revealing too many trade secrets like how she made connections with various warlocks and necromancers around Le'raana.

The trader braced herself against the bench as they rounded a sharp turn and into the brush-covered road. By day in the spring it must have been beautiful, but with foul weather it was another matter. Everything was black but for an orange haze in the distance. Some yards ahead, through the gloom, she spied a stray wagon axle and assorted bric-a-brac blocking the path. This was an old bandit trick. Niamh armed herself and had Elowen and Ewan clear the debris while she kept watch. In the end no bandits jumped out. Still, it was a grueling and dirty bit of work for a boy and young woman.

"Suppose we ought to make camp. Meat and hardtack should to last the trip unless one of you cares to cook." Niamh did not cook, not well, but settled for guiding the wagon off-road and building a fire.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

Whim

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Whim

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

resolution

Whim

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: