Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

resolution

Quote from: Whim on October 24, 2019, 12:38:37 PM
"He- well, he can can be a handful, I suppose." She murmured. The difficulties of minding children were not something she often considered. "Your brother seemed nicely behaved. Different story when your back's turned I guess."

Niamh paused, probing her mouth. She preferred to bury the how and why of this. She was not anything like the girl who ran away from the order years ago, or a blubbering mess working for scraps. Not anymore. "I used to do some work for the Order of the Moon in Serendipity. Taught me how to handle find and handle dangerous magic. The eye for quality came later.

"Eventually you just learn that most mirrors from the myr Caladwyn dynasty have a little ghost in them that opens portals to other mirrors. At least the ones with the ocean motif. Mostly familiar with olden Serenian things. And that's what tends to interest my buyers." The girl was probably harmless. Still, it was best not to go revealing too many trade secrets like how she made connections with various warlocks and necromancers around Le'raana.

The trader braced herself against the bench as they rounded a sharp turn and into the brush-covered road. By day in the spring it must have been beautiful, but with foul weather it was another matter. Everything was black but for an orange haze in the distance. Some yards ahead, through the gloom, she spied a stray wagon axle and assorted bric-a-brac blocking the path. This was an old bandit trick. Niamh armed herself and had Elowen and Ewan clear the debris while she kept watch. In the end no bandits jumped out. Still, it was a grueling and dirty bit of work for a boy and young woman.

"Suppose we ought to make camp. Meat and hardtack should to last the trip unless one of you cares to cook." Niamh did not cook, not well, but settled for guiding the wagon off-road and building a fire.

I wondered what it would be like to be my own master, like Niamh was. I turned my face away, a pang of jealousy feeding the ever-growing resentment in my gut. Sometimes I feared the injustice of the world would become too much to bear, and that dense tangle of resentment in me would one day explode out and obliterate everything around me. Much like my mother had exploded. I almost huffed with the irony of it - I might not have her curse or her magic but in spite of that I could still end up just like her, just with a different force driving me towards that fate.

Niamh tensed up beside me, and looking ahead I saw what had disquietened her - a broken down wagon, half on the road, its contents littering the path. There were no horses or beasts of burden to be seen, nor anyone who might own the wagon, and while I presumed that the owner had taken the animal and moved on, I understood Niamh's reaction - many a weary traveller had been ambushed by tempting them into either stopping to help or stopping to loot. I jumped off the wagon, Ewan as well, and my damp dress was once again soaked with the pouring rain. Half the items from the wagon had washed down the mountainside already, what hadn't was stuck in the mud. Mostly pottery and earthenware, some of it in pieces. The only thing of value, a set of silver cutlery, I slid deep in my bag when no one was looking.

When we were back on the road, it wasn't long before it became too dark to continue. "Suppose we ought to make camp," said Niamh. "Meat and hardtack should to last the trip unless one of you cares to cook."

I didn't have anything to cook with. "Maybe there are some berries around," I said instead, and started examining the underbrush in the small off-road clearing that we had settled in. I had barely started when I heard a noise on the path - hooves squelching through the mud - and looked up to see a monk riding a donkey in the same direction we'd been travelling.

"Did you see..." I turned to Niamh. "Do you think that was the same monk we saw on the road earlier?"

Whim

"In a hurry, I suppose." Niamh prodded the fire. The man was fairly ordinary. He looked poor, probably more mystic than some fat priest, but there was one thing wrong. "Stranger that he's Serenian. Granted, Ewan and I are down here, but there can't be that many of us. Especially dressed as monks. But we are near the border, I suppose." It was best not to stoke Elowen's imagination with Niamh's own suspicion and paranoia.

"Should take the boy. Not a night to be going out alone and getting lost." She would have been happy with trail rations just the same, but giving the Elowen an opportunity to feel useful wasn't a bad thing.

"We just spent twenty minutes shifting rubble in the rain. I wouldn't-" Ewan grumbled before Niamh gave him a look. "Well, I guess a cooked meal might be nice. Come on then."

Ewan and Elowen walked a ways off the road to forage for dinner. The scrubby hills were largely untouched, too rocky for farming, but plenty of foliage. "Sorry, by the way, didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate your cooking. Sometimes I think she just likes ordering me about. But I guess most of the time she doesn't need me doing magic." It was hard to find berries with the overcast sky and fading daylight. His attention swiftly turned to a phosphorescent wasp gliding through the twilight...
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

resolution

I pondered on the monk a moment longer. He'd been travelling in the opposite direction on foot when they'd first seen him, and now somehow he had acquired a mount and had overtaken them. I wondered what had him in such a hurry. I hadn't paid particular attention to his heritage, you did see some strange folks in Ketra on occasion and in the places I used to find work I'd see them all.

I didn't protest when Niamh sent Ewan with me on my quest for food. I hadn't planned on wandering off too far or putting all that much effort into it - I was still wet and cold to the bone and my exhaustion was so far gone that I didn't even notice it anymore.

"Sorry, by the way, didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate your cooking," said Ewan after we had walked a bit, scanning the undergrowth. "Sometimes I think she just likes ordering me about. But I guess most of the time she doesn't need me doing magic."

I shrugged. "It's fine. I wasn't actually going to cook, but some nuts and berries are useful if they're around. Saves you eating your rations." Saves me eating my rations, rather, but no need to point that out. I spotted a blackberry bush and squatted down beside it, using an unused handkerchief from my bag to collect the ripe ones.

Studying Ewan for a moment, I said, "how come you're here with Niamh? Wouldn't you rather be with family, have a home?"

Whim

"Ugh! Forgot a basket! Can't believe it." Ewan slapped his forehead, squirming free of his tunic to hold fistfulls of berries. "I was traveling when I became a kid; hunting down new plants and alchemy. I suppose I could go home. But my brother and sister are off studying and teaching, and now I'm last in line to inherit. I do miss them. Its just embarrassing; might get a bedtime or be sent off to school.

"As for Niamh? I got into a scrape with some slavers. People in Zantaric helped me hide."  He fell silent. Why didn't he go home? It would be much more comfortable. "Not ready to say goodbye to my new friends, I suppose, and maybe its a bit like play acting. Instead of my usual handsome self I get to be this little urchin on the road, scampering through dark alleys." A dumb grin crossed his face as if it were a game. Maybe it was, as Ewan could bow out when he pleased.

They began their trek back to the wagon. They had enough nuts and berries for a small meal. Anything more would hardly be worth the wet and the dark.

"Everyone has to leave home eventually, I guess. Is this your first time away from your mother and brothers?" The girl seemed pretty handy when it came to scrounging and survival, but there was something very green about her just the same.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: