Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Welcome to the Ranks [nephero]

Started by DragonSong, May 07, 2020, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@nephero

Ketra was...big.

Having grown up in the mountains, Azalea had assumed she'd be more than prepared for whatever Adela's capital could throw at her, at least in terms of anything that could be classified under "harsh environment". It was a city, after all; surely it would at least be manageable, particularly to someone who could always take to the air if the streets became overwhelming.

It had taken her about three hours after her first day in Ketra to realize she'd been dead wrong.

The problem wasn't the city itself. The problem was all the people. Everywhere, noisy and crowding and positively reeking of so many different scents that she'd actually worried her nose might go numb after about an hour. Even keeping away from main streets, following the presence of other dragons to find the barracks and pretty much secluding herself there as much as possible, just the scents and sounds of the city around her had nearly been enough to send her flying back home with her tail between her legs.

Of course, that had all been several weeks ago--it had taken that long for her to convince the office she'd first spoken to, a burly man whom she'd only heard referred to as "Ser Fareth", that yes she really was here to enlist and no, she did not have a human partner--and by now she liked to think that she was, if not comfortable, at least managing.

But not well enough to find her way to the corporal's station near the eastern gates, apparently.

Really, it sounded simple enough. Go to the eastern gates, find the station. Easy.

Except it had somehow taken her nearly a full hour to accomplish what should have been a simple task, leaving her with her wings drawn in close to her body and her head bowed forward slightly in an almost instinctive gesture of submission as she approached what appeared to be the officer in charge and cleared her throat--an odd sound on any dragon, but on her it brought to mind the cracking off ice on a stream in spring thaw.

"Ah, pardon... I was sent here to meet a Ser Ekida Dragonbound? I know I'm a bit late, but I don't suppose someone could point me in the right direction...?"

nephero

The sound of her clearing her throat seemed to startle those who hadn't initially noticed Azalea's approach. It was certainly enough to get her noticed then, and the soldiers straightened quite a bit in the dragon's presence. Even if she was a little bit on the tinier side than they'd perhaps have imagined one to be.

The officer looked down at his table and to the ledger there, and quickly scanned the different entries until he found what he was looking for. A tight grimace was all he had to 'say' on the matter of the time, and instead he turned to one of the corporals, gesturing him to lead the dragon in through the gates and up the short road to the training grounds.

It was a fantastic day.

Sure, most days were fantastic days, but that day was particularly fantastic. There had been hot coffee freshly made by the time Ekida had gotten down to breakfast, the sun was shining bright and glimmering in the sky, there was a healthy breeze to keep the weather from being sweltering, and the wind had provided the perfect buffer to make the day's flying drills cleaner than fresh fallen snow.

Sure, there had been the usual appointments to keep that weren't nearly so enjoyable as flying was, and sure, there had been a few soldiers who wore their bad mood like a perfume, and sure, one of Ekida's appointments was late - nearly an hour - but that didn't stop the day from being exactly the kind of perfect day Ekida loved to see for Ketra.

As if to underline his inner monologue, Ekida drew back on his bow in the practice range, paused, and let loose. The arrow landed with a loud thunk, just shy of the bullseye, but otherwise within a similar cluster as the rest of the arrows he had fired. Not bad grouping, not the best, but still much to be proud of.

"Dragonrider, Ekida, sir!"

Ekida was in the middle of pulling his arrows from the target when there was a sharp call from across the training yard, and he looked over to see a corporal walking briskly towards him with what Ekida almost took to be a bundle of sails. Shaking his hair out of his eyes, Ekida turned towards the corporal, looking just beyond his shoulders and positively smacked with understanding as a result.

Ah, right. His appointment. No bundle of sails after all, but rather a lean, white dragon who shuffled along like a dog looking for table scraps or a kind word. Hardly a gait befitting such a creature, and Ekida felt an instinctual pang of sympathy for the creature who was, apparently, NOT having a fantastic day at all.

"Ah. Thank you very much, corporal, you are dismissed." Ekida paused to return his arrows to their quiver, and set his bow down shortly after, leaving his hands free as he strode across the yard. He focused his thoughts, careful to keep his own presence calm and friendly so as to not further cause issue for the dragon. "You must be Azalea, are you not? Did you get lost? Are you thirsty?"

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

DragonSong

The young dragon jerked her head back with a startled snort, eyes widening and pupils dilating slightly in her surprise. She'd known logically, of course, that pretty much every dragonrider had a beastspeaking ability, but she was new enough to Ketra that she hadn't actually met any real dragonriders. She'd spoken to a few officers scattered throughout the city, but always aloud.

"I...I am. I mean, I'm Azalea, I'm not--actually I am a little thirsty, but it's really alright!"

She shuffled her wings, tucking them in close to her back and ducking her head as though in an effort to make herself smaller. A futile effort, perhaps--she might have been smaller than most dragons, but she was still rather large in comparison to most everyone else.

She sighed a bit and sort of peeked up at him; she'd somehow managed to hang her head so low that she could actually do so. "I'm very sorry for being late. I...did get a little lost," she admitted with a wince.

Despite her shrinking stance, she actually seemed to...not quite relax, but at least start to. This Ekida was one of the first people she'd met since leaving home who seemed to be invested in how she was reacting to him. It was a surprise, if a pleasant one.