Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Actually Doing Things Now (Kay's Wants & Needs & Limits & All That Jazz)

Started by allthekingsmen, August 17, 2021, 07:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allthekingsmen

KAY'S WANTS

What are your favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
     This is sort of strange to say in the fact that I enjoy any plot where there's character building—therefore, really any relationship makes me happy so long as the RP is engaging, characters aren't just slamming against each other and nothing else, and there's development in thought and/or personality. That's why combat RPs usually aren't that engaging to me: a lot of the time, at least in my experience, there isn't a lot of development being had besides the development of bruises and cuts. Honestly, it'd be more simple to just say I love every plot and relationship so long as it's not hacking and slashing and only hacking and slashing without room for thought.

To be more specific, though... I love tension. Enemies/rivals to friends/lovers is so very delicious to me, and I've found that I thrive when writing familial relationships, particularly those between siblings. Maybe it's because I've got a sibling, myself, but I just find it very easy and fun to write. I'm also fond of the "I hate everyone else except for you" trope, which is probably very bad to apply in real life but is very interesting to read IRP. Whatever the case, though, so long as all parties are having fun and characters are being played passionately, I'll probably enjoy it greatly.

What are your least favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
     I sort of answered this before (which is why I should really read all these before answering them, but... well, I don't really have an excuse besides I'm tired), but I can't get super invested in combat-only RPs, or where there isn't room for character development or strong thought/dialogue. Most of my RP experiences consist of one-on-one character interactions where there's a clear purpose, or at least reason why they're in the same place. However, this sort of thing is usually suited to characters and players who already know each other fairly well, so just being a fairly good improvisor or thorough planner usually does the trick!

What are your favorite character types to play?
     Though I try my best to make a wide spread of character types, I tend to gravitate towards writing for those with strong conflict in their lives (it's just more interesting and easier to write, you know?). Sure, I could write a mentally stable, totally a-ok person with little to no inner turmoil, but having a concrete goal or intense mindset makes it simpler to etch out.

Are you a planner or a pantser? Do you prefer to pre-plan and stick to a script when posting, or do you prefer to surprise and be surprised?
     I suppose I'll plan out an initial starter for purpose, but I'll usually see/discuss with where my partner wants to go with things and then try my best to go with that. The reason why I RP is to see other perspectives and be met with characters that I don't control or have written down beforehand. Things like quick lore tends to be made up on the spot, and I find that really fun! However, big surprises are a bit more iffy for me—should a big surprise come up without warning, I'll be fine with it, usually, but I'd prefer for moderate to large surprises to be discussed beforehand, or at least foreshadowed. I tend to do the same for my RP partners unless they clarify otherwise, especially if the surprise alters their character or is related to sensitive topics.

How do you feel about group threads?
     I've done group RPs before, and they can be really fun, but I tend to be drained by them rather quickly—answering more then three other people at a time... wow. It ends up making a big clunker of a response that I type up, which usually includes character thoughts and actions that I cut to make it easier to read, then leaving out parts that I like to write or parts that might be interesting to read. Overall, I can manage a group thread, but I tend to prefer smaller groups or one-on-one pairings. That's not saying that I won't do them, obviously, but I definitely don't do them as often as small groups/one-on-ones.

How often can you reply to any given thread? How long should a partner wait before nudging you for a post?
     For people that I don't know well, or for people that are fast repliers, I try to get my replies out quickly—within the first few minutes after reading it, usually, or at least within the next few hours, if possible. Sometimes, I'm completely burned out and tend to wait for a while before trying again. Other times, if someone is a very slow replier or if I know this person well, then I'll leave them waiting for a few days, up until I can gather up the energy to reply or they remind me that they're waiting for a response. Honestly, having a partner clarify just how long they are willing to wait is very helpful.

As for the last question: they can choose to nudge me as often as they'd like, especially if I haven't replied within a few days, but, chances are, if I don't know you that well, you're a quick replier, and I haven't replied within the half hour, I'll get to it within the day. Generally, though, use your own judgement and your own preferences. I don't mind nudges so long as they're not happening every two seconds.

What is the longest you're willing to wait for a reply to a thread?
     I'm willing to wait for basically forever, honestly. If you start out quick but don't reply for over a few weeks, though, chances are, I'll ask if you're still interested. I try my best to be patient and aware of real-life stuff, including energy and motivation. Writing can be hard!

How do you feel about instant messenger RP?
     It's sort of intimidating! I'm also not super sure of the definition of instant messaging anymore! I can RP very comfortably in Discord servers, but not quite Discord DMs; I've RPed over ShamChat in the past, but that was when I used one-liners, which I've eradicated from my roleplay style; I've also RPed over text message, but they were far smaller and lower quality than others. Overall: forums and Discord servers suit me just fine, and I'm comfortable with them, as well as other places that are similar to them. I won't refuse an RP just because it's over an instant messenger, though.

How do you feel about post volleying/rapidfire RP?
     Scary! But I can definitely do them, provided I have a stretch of free time and a lot of energy. These times are certainly rare, however, and if you're expecting a rapidfire RP, then please let me know—I might decline, depending on how much time I have on my hands and how much motivation and energy I have. I don't like one-liners or extremely low-detail posts, though, so any rapidfire RPs are preferably not those.

What's your preferred posting style? Long posts? Short posts? Anything and everything?
     I try to match the post size of my partner, but there are times where I accidentally post a lot in comparison to a small reply or post disappointingly little in response to a large post. Posts that are a few paragraphs long are nicely in the middle, and I like them; posts that are super, super long may take longer to reply to, though, and I will probably not like one-liners or extremely small posts.

Any RP styles/habits that you love?
     Please use as much detail as possible! If not, I might ask a lot of questions that you might roll your eyes at, because I tend to be overly worried about whether or not my RP partner is okay with x or y thing, or if I'm imagining what they're describing correctly. I also love descriptions of body language and actions, as well as intonation (I suppose that falls into "as much detail as possible") and overall passion in writing. Doing research (light, medium, heavy, however you'd like) or just putting common sense into a certain occupation, demographic, accent, etc. and then applying it into RP always makes me a little giddy; quadruple backflips off of an icicle while on fire is super cool, but acknowledging the constraints of leather pants while doing such an act is equally as cool. Having fun and maybe being a bit flowery sometimes is just my jam!

Any RP styles/habits that you avoid?
     One-liners and very small replies (like short sentences consisting solely of "Jack walked to the bar. He ordered a beer. He smiled at the bartender and said, 'How are you?'" and nothing else) are definitely not for me. Frequent misspellings (you can certainly make spelling mistakes, but using "weary" instead of "wary" every time will start to grate on me, sorry) or a total lack of punctuation also tend to peeve me.

In particular, this style of RP does not suit me at all:

*puts on hat* This hat is really nice!

Using asterisks to indicate vague movement and zero quotation marks... nope, sorry, not for me.

KAY'S LIMITS

What are you limits regarding powerplay/godmoding?
     So long as your character isn't absolutely hitting my character every single time on the dot, I'm usually okay with it! Also, please ask me or let me know before seriously injuring/killing my character. Besides that, though, I'm mostly okay with anything. Just beware of what my character might do in response!

What are your limits in regards to romantic situations?
(What are you comfortable with and not comfortable with? Do you prefer to pre-plot relationships or let them happen organically? Are you open to IC-rejection or love-triangles? Age differences? Etc.)
     I'm okay with anything so long as it's between individuals of ethically sound age, mindset, etc. If they aren't of ethically sound age, mindset, etc. then I won't see it as a true "romance;" instead, it's dangerous conflict. What my character might see, though, could be different—just know that, in the end, it will not be seen in a positive light by me, at least.

I'm fine with pre-plotting and organic romances both, but if you attempt an organic romance, there's a definite chance of IC-rejection, or IC-"I'm not ready yet!" Regarding pre-plotted relationships: sometimes the sparks just don't fly, and that's okay! They don't have to be romantic, and I'll let you know if I don't feel like they're right together, or if there's anything we can work on as RPers to make it work.

Anything else to me is fine; if you think what you propose or what you want to try might stretch my boundaries, then don't hesitate to just talk to me!

What are your limits with regards to graphic content such as sex, violence, drug use, sexual assault, etc? What is your comfort level?
     While I'm fine with literally anything, do keep in mind that I am a minor. Engaging in a mature thread would be against site rules for me, I believe—once I hit eighteen (and if I'm still around in SotE), I'll expand upon this more, but for now: all sexual scenes are fade-to-black, at least. Regarding violence, drug use, abuse, etc., so long as they're modified to align with site rules regarding RPing with minors (I assume they need to be very much non-explicit or at least not super-super graphic?), I'm okay with it.

What are your limits in regards to pregnancy within plots?
     I'm fine with all things regarding pregnancy, provided (again) they don't violate rules regarding mature themes and under-eighteen writers.

What about healing?
     While I don't usually personally have my own characters pursue magical healing such as wiping away scars or making a blind person sighted, I don't have objections to it for the RPs I'm in, provided my RP partners ask me/let me know beforehand if they try to "heal" my own character(s).

What about characters being transformed against their will?
     Just ask!

Anything else?
     If you're iffy on anything: just ask!

If you're curious: just ask!

Should there be anything at all that isn't clear here: just! Ask! I won't bite!
I'm under 18, but allowed on SotE because I was around before the rule was made. That being said: I won't be participating in mature content RPs for the time being, but I'm super happy to write other stuff!