Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hired Hands [Apex]

Started by Whim, October 26, 2021, 01:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@Apex

Hylop was a tiny village nestled deep in the forests of Ravensway. It was some miles off the high road to Arc, but with basilisks and spriggans in the wood it was a place to stay if you had no choice. That was how Ollie Driftwind came to the village. It was mostly a spiderweb of dirt roads between farms and orchards with a hall, tavern, and some tradesfolk at the center of it all.  The young male edged his way into The Merry Mule. Two old men sat by the fire stroking a shaggy dog and in the far corner three children sat on the floor, staring ponderously up at an antlered head on the wall.

"May I have a room for the night?" Ollie approached the bar and set down his purse. He shook out two coppers, and earned a dubious look from the barmaid. It would be enough for the night but he was hoping to get his mule reshod, his armor repaired, and a new pair of boots. "Oh, um, I don't suppose you know of any work around here then? I can write very well if someone needs their letters done. Or a sign made!"

"The Widow Brie does that. And she doesn't ask for coin."

Ollie frowned. He rather liked doing reading and writing for people. It made him feel useful, and everyone was always so grateful for it. The young man let out a long sigh and corrected his stature, trying to look imposing. "What about a monster hunter? I... I can fight, you know!"

The barmaid gave him a cock-eyed look. He was mostly smallish and bespectacled, though his arms and frame were thickly muscled. "I never heard of any monsters lately. Maybe Lady Rhys might know, but the militia and wardens mind the wood. Heard Misses the Widow Brie could use help plowing her field and around the farm. Strong back like yours could manage."

"I don't usually do that sort of work." Ollie snorted in annoyance, he was good for things other than grunt work! But glancing down at his meager savings, there was little choice. "Well, alright, Where does she live?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Apex

@Whim

Ken had drifted from farm to farm in the hopes of work for a place to sleep. It didn't even have to be within their homes, a shed or stable with four walls to protect them from the elements. He had all the right experience, growing up on a farm, but most prematurely judged Ash, probably thinking that the massive dire wolf would kill their families and/or their livestock. Trying to explain that Ash only hunted wild animals where only meet with stubbornness. He would at least get directions to Hylop.

They walked straight for the tavern, their goal remaining the same, a place to sleep. Ash, like most animals had natural protection against the elements and could find a place away from civilization. Ken on the other hand, did not. Of course, a room wouldn't work for Ash, the tavern owner would likely not appreciate it being thrashed. But they had been through this before and knew of a way.

One step into the tavern, Ash outside and out of sight, he took one glance to take in the surrounding. His head turning, as if making a triangle between the dog, the children and the antlered head. Children liked animals, right? And staring at a dead unmoving one for who knows how long, must be tiresome, especially since there where better alternatives.

Ken walked straight up to the dog, ignoring the man and anything he might say. He sat down to make his already small stature smaller and therefore less aggressive, before reaching out his hand for the dog to sniff. Once accepted he stared into the eyes of the dog, it wasn't something he'd recommend as it triggers a fight or flight instincts. If the dog where prone to aggression it could have attacked him, instead it broke eye contact. It was safe to introduce the dog to the children, well, the man could very well command it to attack and the dog might still obey, but then any causality would be on the man.

Next he needed to find a place to sleep. Ken climbed up an empty chair by the bar "You got any shed or stable I could sleep in?". As if reading the barmaid's thoughts he added "Full price", he wasn't a cheapskate nor poor. Well, at the moment his coin purse was running low, he would need to remedy that.

He had heard the others conversation, admittedly it had been background noise while he was occupied elsewhere, but keywords like work, grunt work and farm had reached his ears. "As you can see" he dangled his obviously light coin purse "I wouldn't mind some work".

Whim

"Well I know Widow Brie was looking for some strapping boys to do heavy work. Not sure you, uh, fit the bill. Heard they could use some pickers in East Wharton, though."  Else gave the goblin a look. She would see them in the forest at times, but was warned many-a-time to steer clear on account of their mischief. This one seemed gentle enough, or at least Whistler liked him, but weren't all tricksters well-mannered? She couldn't very well risk poor Widow Brie coming to harm at the hands of some hooligan! It would just be safer to send him along.

"Oh, I'm sure the two of us can make ourselves useful. Lots to be done around an old farm, I'm sure..." Ollie offered a resigned smile. The poor fellow must be equally desperate if he was willing to sleep in a stable for a few coppers. It was really the worst part of adventuring. Mud, rain, itchy hay, and all the unglamorous bits they don't tell you about.

The barmaid chewed her lip. "Go up the road until you find the well and go east. Its the farm with a little toadstool on the sign."

"Thank you. And your soup was very nice," the boy smiled, setting some coin on the bar for his meal. It was mostly just a bunch of onions and potatoes but he wanted to be nice. He then turned to the goblin, "I'm Oliver, by the way, Oliver Driftwind. What brings you to Hylop?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Apex

"I grew up on a farm" Ken simply stated, with all that entailed. He would have shown of his muscles if he cared to impress, though he had meet few of his kind he was confident growing up on a farm would have made his arm size bigger then the average Goblin.

"Hm" He had almost forgotten about the other person seeking a job, a bad habbit, he usually dismissed non animals. But at least they seemed like the good sort "If it is farm work they need then I can give you some pointers".

"Val Ken Wyndal" His full name, being called by his last name fellt too formal, friends and family called him by his middle name. "Val Ken" He said to emphasize that they didn't need to use his full name. "Sightseeing" He answered "Exploring the world", a more sociable person would likely go into more detail or engaging in the conversation by returning the question.

By now he worried about Ash, it was regrettable but due to what he was and his size, Ash often faced prejudice. Others would see the wolf, tall as a tall man and assume that he'd eat them. Ken's ears moved slightly to point towards the door, would he hear a passerbyers scream or had Ash been able to hide.

Whim

"Nice to meet you!" Ollie offered a beaming smile and extended a hand. Though thickly muscled, and wearing a tarnished breastplate, his hands were curiously soft and lacking in the scars you might expect from a young warrior. "And I could certainly use any help. I grew up working in a bookshop.

"And I'm out here the same reason as you. Right now I am looking for an armorer, but the real story is I inherited a magic sword and wanted to see Serendipity." It was the best way to put it.

They managed to get some detailed directions from the inn-keeper and set off. The sun was at its zenith, and the villagers were trickling in from their fields and shops for an afternoon meal and a long rest. A grumpy old washerwoman gave Ken a glower in passing. Soon they neared the crossroad and Ollie noticed that a shaggy black canine was trailing them both. He never liked dogs, even as a boy. The idea of some friendly furry animal was lovely but they were always sniffing awkward places, jumping on you, slobbering all over.

"Is that, um, yours?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: