Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Country Life (LostSoul)

Started by Whim, March 06, 2022, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@LostSoul

Benlend was a tiny village nestled deep in the forested hills of Serendipity's southern border. It was some miles off the high road to Arc, but with basilisks and spriggans in the wood it was a place to stay if you had no choice. It was mostly a spiderweb of dirt roads between farms and orchards with a hall, tavern, and some tradesfolk at the center of it all. Contrary to all the grumbling to his father, brothers, and sisters Cian did not hate Benlend. It really was beautiful. It was just the smell of cattle and horses he did not like. That and, in his head, he was always somewhere better: some old witch king's palace in the Wester Highlands, the library of Arca, or the glass oasis of Essryn.

The young male edged his way into The Merry Mule. Two old men sat by the fire stroking a shaggy dog and in the far corner three children sat on the floor, staring ponderously up at an antlered head on the wall. Cian approached the bar where a large, bald, fleshy man sat polishing a mug. "Young Master Cian."

Cian sighed in annoyance at the diminutive. "Hello Gunthyr. No, I wanted to know if anyone replied to my poster..." His eyes flicked across the room to a notice board. Mostly it was farmers looking to pawn off all carts, a local woman trying to find some work for her now 13-year-old son, and the services of a traveling midwife. Neatly written, at the center of it all, was Cian's notice.

"Cian ap Maerwen is hiring sellswords, treasure-hunters, and local guides. This is for an expedition to the Moonmaiden's Tor in search of artifacts of magical and historical significance. You may know it in the local vernacular as 'Frogspit Point.' My study of local literature, and third era elven cartography, has determined isle to very likely be connected to the local legend "Merry and the Moonmaiden." A small stipend will be paid, plus accolades, the favor of House Maerwen, and a dividend of treasure within."

"Nope. And I don't expect it. There ain't much in the way of sellswords here. And to be honest, lad, its too wordy. People in these parts don't read so much or so good." Gunthyr was an old guardsmen, had earned his keep, and was not one to scrape and bow before young aristocrats.

"Everyone here knows the old story of Merry and the Moonmaiden. He was farm-boy who tricked a witch into taking him into a magical well, as a human sacrifice, where he gained sorcerous powers to fight her. You'd think there'd be some interest in finding the place and making this town a little more than a place to water your mules!" Usually dour, Cian was suddenly animated as he began explaining how elves believed magical energy to flow along rivers and nearly always built atop ley line nexuses.

"Cian, Cian, we all know you love the story and how old Merry was your ancestor. Or so you've gone around saying since you were yay big." The big man smiled gently, flattened a palm at waist level. "There's a reason your pa never looked and his dad before him. Its just an old tower. Might be there's spirits and magic there. Might not. But some things are better left alone and we do okay here."

"Well I-" Cian huffed. Gunthyr had a way of giving un-asked for advice you could never refute. "I will take it as a no then?"
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

LostSoul

Another figure was strolling through the tiny village of Benlend, a figure just starting his journey, and eager to get going. A hand on a strap of a hand sewn bag, the other looped around a rope belt that held up an aged sword. He got it only a week ago, but he was finally getting used to the sword bouncing against his leg...or him not tying his belt properly so it fell off while he was walking. That was always embarrassing.

he chuckled at the thought, a stick of wheat out of his mouth, the cloak over his head, he thought about walking sticks that he had seen folk take, maybe he should get himself a long stick for that? He wondered on this thought as he headed towards The Merry Mule. He wanted to get a few more supplies and say good buy to a few folk he knew...this would be the first step for leaving home, the first step in his story.

He grinned as he entered the building with a hearty "LO! Gunthyr! Ya still got them rations I ordered? I know I helped haul that pig out the other day, she make for good bacon eh?" he said laughing, going to make small talk, clasping hands, yelling hellos until a voice from old man Nort, already starting drinking, and it wasn't even mid-day!

"Hey there lad! Heard ya was leaving town, ya should check that there board, heard rumor there was something fancy on it, can't read the blighted thing, in some sort of fancy speak." Nort said raising a mug of beer and almost spitting on the floor before he caught Gunthyr's pointed stare of 'don't you dare', Nort grinned sheepishly and went back to grinning and waggling his brows with a cackle, a sign of old man mischief to come.

Godrey laughed, waving as he made his way to the board, hands on his hips, a cocky grin as he went to find the note, something interesting in this town? HA! More likely then not, he bet it was the miller, Takson, who was paying young folk for a good old prank on another farmer of sorts. His eyes scanned the board, farmers selling things, oh look, his father was selling cow, for half price, seemed he followed his mum's suggestion on that. Then his eyes went wide, whistling, fancy speak indeed. He carefully took it down to read, he couldn't read half of it, but he did catch 'magical' 'Spellsword' 'treasure-hunter' and most important 'hiring'...well, Cian was, heard about the lad, spoiled and head stuck in a book is what the maids gossiped about him.

His grin widened ear to ear, it seems the lady of fate was favoring him this fine morning. He rolled up the note and headed over to the bar, holding it out "Oy Gunthyr! Heard Cian is hiring for an adventure of sorts? About uh." he took another look, brows now a uni-brow he was peering so hard at the notice "Uhhh, Froggie's point? About Merry and the Moonmaiden? Good story that is, but whats he going off about? Many of the tykes been around the place to mess about. He never been? Poor bugger." he says with a laugh as he slaps the notice down in good cheer, not at all noticing that said Cian was directly to his right.

He kept grinning before looking over and his face pales slightly "Uh, Young master Cian, uh, haha, didn't see ya thar! Talk about speak of the de-I mean person, and here ya be!" he says grinning, obviously pretending that he was not just talking about Cian's lack of leaving the town...or the library. Sweat on his brow as he nodded his head like a bow before looking at his hand that had flattened the notice on to the counter. Brows going up as he looks back, wide eyed and put the notice in front of him a little too fast in nervousness and excitement, almost shoving it at Cian. "Uh! Heard ya have a notice! Here to help ya out! Godfrey, son of Simonous, the farmer!" he says nodding multiple times before glancing at Gunthyr with a wink, like he was totally selling being competent. He was failing miserably.

@Whim

Whim

Cian's face turned strawberry red. He was a bit cross and miffed that some farm boy would talk about him like a soft-handed younger brother instead of an aristocrat with armed guards! Not that Cian could do anything to him, really, or would. It just didn't sit right. " I- I've been to Frogpsit point! Just as a child, you see." Mind you, Cian had never set foot on it. The isle was considered cursed and the young male preferred following rules to the letter. But the little white lie made him feel better or at least forget all the missed chances to fight impromptu wars with sticks, go skinny dipping, and other things...

"I want to go and take a proper look for anything actually magical, or historical, instead of hide and seek and all that." It occured to Cian there was no need to be officious about it. Looking the farmhand up and down he had all the eagerness of a small boy playing knight. If anyone was excited for expedition it'd be Godfrey.

Cian ap Maerwen conjured a smile and extended a hand, skin fair and uncalloused. "I guess I should properly introduce myself. I'm Cian. Nice to meet you Godfrey. I guess its just... its just going to be you and me. I don't suppose you know the way? Its, um, been quite a while since I've been out there you know."

Gunthyr returned to tiddying the bar. The grizzled old soldier watched the pair with with a twinkle of amusement in his eye, though he tried to hide it beneath his usual gruff frown. It was right and good to see two small town boys planning some grand adventure. Well, an adventure. Right shame to have responsibility and sensibility crush that thing out of a young man.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

LostSoul

Godfrey looked back, turning another shade or pale. Uh oh, angering his only employer may not be the wisest idea. He spread his grin out to hide his sheepishness, nodding "Of course ya have young master! No tyke has not been." he said, best to play along for now, save the lad some face at least and him this chance of adventure.

He tilted his head as Cian explained, magical? Froggies point? That's a bit strange, he's been there plenty of times, been all over the place...well, not the deepest parts, but he's still been, never saw a beast, much less magic there (not counting the song birds mind you). He glanced up in thought before shrugging, well, couldn't hurt, who knows, mayhaps the young master had some sort of knowledge from his books?

He eagerly clasped Cian's hand, causing a slapping hand as he chuckled. His hand was quite the opposite of Cian's, calloused, dirty, tanned from sun, and strong from days wielding a plow. He moved the wheat stalk in his mouth to the other side of his cheek. "Well met Cian! Aye, I know the way, been there plenty of times, just a wee walk through the woods, only take us to the sound of the bell at most I wager." he says, eyes sparkling green in the light for a moment before turning to Gunthyr and letting go of Cian's hand, probably now flecked with dirt as he rested his arm on the counter.

"I'll be taking them supplies now, how ya feel about hard tak and jerky young master Cian?" he asks chuckles, arms out to take the supplies from the tavern keep before loading them into his sack carefully, but also with the organizational skills for a man his age, non-existent. Swing his bag on to the counter to load, then on too his back before turning back, going to slap Cian on the shoulder "Come on then! If we be leaving now, we might make it before lunch time and be back for some stew eh!" he says before turning to leave.

"I'll be leaving ya lazy, drinking lot! Best be too ya! At least give me a day or two start before me pa or ma notices won't ya!" he says laughing before swinging the door out and holding it for the noble, still grinning "Off we be goin!" he says, his sword bouncing off his leg in his dramatic turn to open the door.