Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

~TheBloodFallsDown~(The Roc)

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2006, 08:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The aderyn's golden eyes followed the girl's movements a bit nervously. That girl had come in at the same time as the cat, hadn't she? And weren't they traveling together? She froze, instincts warning her to bolt. That...that cat, the scourge of chicks, that nightmare, was coming with her...

Neiryn had had no idea what a tuxedo was until then; she'd just assumed that it was part of the cat. Giving Miriam a rather humorous look(why was it everyone thought that she was hungry?), she replied reassuringly, "No worries, I don't eat cat, and I've already eaten." But she gave Erreth another look that said quite clearly that she would make his life hell if he so much dared to poke that little nose of his anywhere near her business. Maybe it wasn't very kind or scholarly, but she was a predator.

Anonymous

Zyanith shrugged, apparently satisfied with her answer. "See, Erreth? Nothing to worry about; now stop being so paranoid and, if you don't mind, give me some peace." Erreth, however, caught Neiryn's expression and folded his ears back to show that he didn't trust her at all.

"Horrible little furball," Zya muttered under her breath as she leaned over far enough to pull her drink over from where she had been previously seated. Erreth stayed where he was; despite the fact that he was a sarcastic, cynical little fellow, he was far from stupid, and knew when to keep his distance.

"I'd never have thought a cat could give me  so many migraines." Zya muttered, massaging her temples.

Anonymous

Miri watched the whole exchange with laughing eyes. She said nothing though, preferring to leave them to go about it themselves, after all who would listen to her anyways? It might even seem like she wasn't paying attention at all but she was...

Finally when they had finally calmed down Miri stood, looking over at Neiryn she smirked slightly, "I'll be back in a moment, I have to agree with you. Letting Keira go in this place would freak out too many people. And although funny not the best thing in the world to do." She loo0ked over at the other girl gave a slight nod then walked between the tables before disappearing through the door. She was back in a few moments and sat back down.
Looking over at the other woman she smiled slightly, going to back where the conversation had ended as if she hadn't disappeared at all, "A SpiritCat eh? I heard that they were quite annoying. I'm lucky I only have a mental snake that talks. I am guessing that Erreth can talk as well?"

Anonymous

Neiryn smiled at the SpiritCat. It seemed that they understood each other quite well. "I'm sure we'll get along, Erreth." She smiled innocently, as if a minute ago she hadn't been silently threatening him with the worst she could do. Her feelings about the cat hadn't changed, but the more rational part of her acknowledged that disemboweling him in an inn would cause a couple of astonished stares. Maybe more than that.

She absorbed the information that Miriam had given. So the snake talked, eh? No wonder the girl was so protective of Keira. In her experience, people tended to form a stronger bond with talking animals.

Anonymous

"Oh, he certainly talks," Zya replied with an irritated glance in Erreth's direction. Erreth pretended not to notice and went back to licking his paw with as much dignity as he could muster. "And unfortunately he chose me, rather than the other way around. Little guy doesn't eat like normal cats, since he isn't actual flesh and blood. Rather, he's solid magical energy, and has to absorb it to stay in this world. People with magical attributes, like myself or any other mage, naturally attract that kind of energy, so it makes his life a whole lot easier to stick around one of us. And I was the unlucky one he happened to stumble upon."

"Not really," Erreth said in between licks, "I saw a bunch of mages before I met you. But yours is a kind of magic I'm especially fond of. It was an Illusionary mage that made me. So since you're one too, I felt especially close to you."

Zya shrugged. "He's irritating at times, but not that bad once you get used to him."

"I'm flattered," Erreth said with the beginnings of a smirk, "That's the first time you've said anything even remotely nice to me."

Anonymous

Miri smirked slightly. "I wish Keira was the same.....the snake stays around just to purely drive me insane...."

<I>And keep you from killing yourself

Shut up!

Miri sighed and rubbed her head, "Sadly what makes it even worse is the times when I get really pissed at her and start yelling and screaming at a snake....at least a cat makes a little sense....and Keira only uses a mental connection to talk.....she hates speaking Human....says it tastes werid on her tongue." she shrugged again.

Anonymous

"I've given up yelling at him," Zya said with a shrug. "He only turns his back on me and ignores me. It seems like when I want him to act the least like a cat, that's all he wants to be. He's useful, though; little guy's saved my neck more than once by being able to tell me when there's something, or someone, out of the ordinary nearby."

"Rather difficult in these parts," Erreth mused, now that he was finished with his after-meal grooming, "It's easy when we're somewhere there aren't a lot of folk nearby. In the bigger cities, though, it's not that helpful."

Zya reached over and ruffled his ears, causing Erreth to mutter to himself angrily. "Are you ready to head out again?"

Anonymous

Neiryn smiled with something akin to amusement, "Perhaps yelling and death-threats aren't the best way to deal with a cat." She added a bit mischeivously, "I suppose you would agree with me on that, Sir Erreth?"

She raised an eyebrow at Erreth, "What if there were two peculiar creatures near by? And one of them a two-headed rat and the other a rabid dog? I suppose you would tell about the dog first?" Maybe it wasn't much more polite than whispering death threats, but she was finding baiting the cat a bit enjoyable.

Anonymous

Miri covered her mouth to hide the smile on her face. She watched the interactions between the hawk-shifter and the cat.

"Yelling at a snake doesnt do anything either. She just hisses and bites me.....not fun."

Anonymous

Erreth made a soft 'hmph' sound from his safe place on Zya's shoulder, then continued, "Seeing as the rabid dog would pose more of a direct threat, I would in fact inform the girl of its presence first. Depending on its proximity to my location, though, there's a good chance she would first be alerted that something was amiss by me running up the nearest tree as quickly as possible."

Zya shrugged helplessly. "The only way he'd let me know about a two-headed rat would be if he decided to kill it and leave it on the foot of my bed."

"No I wouldn't," Erreth argued, "They bite. And carry disease. The only dead present I ever gave you was the time I killed that desert-tarantula that kept crawling into your sleeping pallet two months ago."

Zyanith just shuddered. Obviously that wasn't a memory she wanted to recall.

Anonymous

"Ahh..." Neiryn nodded wisely.  This was just too great.. Not only was she getting some nice information about SpiritCats, or rather, one SpiritCat, but there was also the added advantage of fun.  There was nothing like asking silly questions to end a day...

"So you would leave her to deal with the rabid dog by herself? I mean, she can't climb a tree as easily as you can?" She frowned, and addressing her question to Zyanith, asked, "You can't, can you?"

"How can a dead rat bite?" she asked Erreth. "I can understand about the disease part, but the biting?"

Anonymous

In answer to the woman's question, Zyanith just shrugged. "It's usually pretty easy to get rid of the non-sentient ones. The Illusions don't even have to be well-made for it to work. I can usually just conjure up something else, like another dog that appears closer to the rabid one than I am. Erreth just likes to run first and think later."

"It isn't my fault I have to rely on what I have in this Plane while you can bring up Images of anything you want," Erreth replied cooly. "And dead rats don't bite while dead. While in the process of becoming dead, however, they do."

Anonymous

Neiryn nodded. Of course, Zyanith was an illusory mage. "Are your illusions just visual, or also olfactory?" she asked curiously. It might not have been important with some creatures, but it certainly was with dogs. Not that a rabid dog would care.

"If you're made of magical energy, then why should you worry about disease and being bitten?" the aderyn asked. "It seems like those inconveniences you mentioned are only for poor, mundane creatures like Zyanith and I." She was teasing now.

Anonymous

"I'm not too versed on olfactory Illusions; they take more energy, and of course more concentration. On a good day I can make a semi-solid, talking object, but then I have to be focusing on it completely. If something distracts me it goes silent and still looks solid, but isn't." She shrugged. "I still have a lot to learn."

"Being bitten hurts, of course," Erreth said loftily, "But not so much diseases as far as I'm concerned. I might not be afflicted with them, but I can transfer them, and if Zya is covered in smelly boils or something to that degree, I still have to put up with her. And diseased Energy Outflow always tastes, and smells, like molded cheese."

"He's one to talk," Zyanith added in a confidential tone, "He smells like a rotten compost heap." Erreth 'hmph'ed again.

Anonymous

Miri was just watching again, preferring to remain silent and listen to them talk as she drink more from the bottle.

"I've known some good illusionary mages before," she finally put in, "Although I alway figured a good fireball to the head solves any problems about being solid or not. If it is it detroys the thing...if it isnt....well it knocks out the person behind the illusion. Crude sort of teahing...dontcha think."

Anonymous

"So your abilities are limited to illusions only? You can't..." she shrugged. "Say, imbue an item with virtue?"

"And I assume that with your nose, the stench would kill you?" Neiryn asked with amusement. She wrinkled her nose at Zyanith's comment. "I'm sure he doesn't mind his own stench." the aderyn murmured in the same tone. "After all, he has had a lot of time to practice..."

Neiryn asked, "What's his opinion on water?"

Anonymous

Zyanith pondered the woman's question for a moment before answering, "Truthfully, I've never tried, though I'm afraid my magic lies on the other side of reality. I can make things seem, but I cannot make them be, if that makes any sense." Erreth decided to take that moment to direct his attention toward grooming his ears, so Zya continued, "As for water, he treats it just about the same way other cats do; that is, he stays as far away from it as possible and pitches a fit when he has no other choice but to be in it. Little guy treads water like nobody's business, though."

Anonymous

Neiryn nodded. "Yes, it does, although you should at least try. One day you'll find an opponent who can see through your illusions and wouldn't be afraid of them." She laughed at Zyanith's comment about Erreth and water. "I once knew a cat who loved water. It quite surprised us, really. White and tawney, it was." She smiled at fond memories. That had been before her instincts had become so aggressive.

Anonymous

Miri had once again grown silent. She wasn't one to stay in a conversation for long...

She just watched the others and waited for her to either be noticed or for something interesting to happen.

Anonymous

Zya chuckled. "There are rebels in every bunch, I suppose." She looked at the woman with the Kindred Snake, one eyebrow arched curiously. "Is yours a mutual arrangement with the serpent, or did one of you do the choosing before the other had a say?"