Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Business as usual

Started by Anonymous, May 30, 2006, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Apparently, humans weren't the only ones to possess the magnificent ability to sulk. Even giant cats did it. Especially if said giant cat has ego problems, is currently being ignored, has caninophobia(more of a hatred than a phobia), a very stupid looking hound in front of him, and two idiots doing their idiotic things in front of him. Especially when everyone's acting as if civilization and him don't get along. This giant cat ignored the fact that he hadn't quite been so civilized  lately. After all, that didn't matter. They should have known that he was civilized. As already mentioned, said cat had an ego. And a particularly nasty streak of sadism, which doesn't prove that he's civilized but definitely says volumes about genetics.

Which is why, no doubt, that this cat didn't just sit there and whine. It sat there, whined mentally, and bullied the dog. Ah, the joys of life. The only problem was that the dog wouldn't attack him. Again, appalling loyalty. Obviously, dogs have the vices and cats have the virtues. And vices, in this case, refers to the mushy emotions that Nathair personally didn't have to deal with. Virtues referred to the ability to meet things head on.

Nathair, after a while, grew tired of whispering threats that the dog didn't even understand, and decided to needle the human. He got up, returned to his original position near Ari, and began licking his paw, which conveniently hid blood-red eyes. See, for some reasons, people those days connected red eyes with unpleasant individuals. Folly, of course, and he set to prove it by giving the man a cordial and anonymous greeting.

Hello, he said cheerfully, I'm Bones, you know, your other self? I'm really nice, you know. I ate bananas for supper. The whole greeting was completely random and intended to prove to the man that he was going bonkers. Or bananas, should you prefer tht term.

((I know this is a really frivolous post, but bear with me))

Anonymous

Well- the other member of their party had decided to introduce himself! Sort of. His ears prick, tail unwinding to weave slowly along the ground as sightless eyes turn in what is, pretty much, the cat's direction. "Well, hello there, 'Bones'." He says, completly unruffled. Liason is blind, not stupid, and not foolish enough to be tricked by something he can sense clearly.  "I'd rather you have eaten bananas then my dog. I need her, sadly."  He reaches out, finding Rekka's head to stroke it. Well, maybe not need, exactly, but he does love her. Rekka relaxes at his touch, leaning heavily on his leg and keeping her gaze leveled on the cat she has decided to make Arch Enemy Number One.

(Good Lord, that's short. *cringe*)

Anonymous

As the information needed to copy the stranger's form rushed into Ari's hand she couldn't help closing her eyes in rapture. She hadn't acquired a new humanoid form in ages that doing so without the originals permission hardly occurred to her.

Acquisition could go one of two ways: it was either a good experience or an incredibly terrible one. After acquiring a tree form by accidentally touching a table with her bare hands Ari had been in pain for an hour afterwards. It was always the luck of the draw and she had been lucky this time.

Slipping her glove back on, Ari refocused her attention on the conversation. She scolded herself for not paying better attention but settled for giving the dog a curious look. No way in hell was she going to try another acquisition so soon, but the dog facinated her. Actually, the whole using a dog as your eyes facinated her. Not many Karrosians would readily admit to not having their bodies completely in check, so blindness was a new thing for the young shapeshifter.

"She seems to be a pretty good deterrant to thieves as well. What breed is she?" Ari asked conversationally.

Anonymous

That his comment had ended in Nathair's own embarrassment only riled the cat further. And what could he do but be aggressive? Since the humanoid wouldn't be intimidated, the cat turned his attention back to the dog. He could control the dog easily. Dogs were like that. Loyalty and stupidity went hand in hand. Which was no doubt why Nathair was every bit the backstabbing snake that his name implied he was. Look to the sea, my sweet. he said cheerfully, but added a growl to his "words". Just to make sure that the dog would be riled, he added, You know what a bean a sidhe is? It's a fairy woman, who screams to tell of the death of a relative. I thought I heard one back there howling back there when you and yours arrived. He lifted a claw-ful paw suggestively, implying that he would be quite glad to rip that blind man's head off. Neatness, civilization, and politeness didn't apply when you really hated someone's guts. Actually, a slow disembowelment would have been preferable. They were ~so~ fun, and some of the victims had voices like nightingales. Maybe this beggar did too.

Just to alarm the beggar-it had worked with Arishnuka- and because he was feeling particularly vicious(civilization was on hold right now), the cat comment out loud, making sure to show his teeth multiple times, he chimed in, "Lovely dog you've got there.  I swear it was flirting with me a while ago." He looked innocently(or as innocently as red eyes could be, especially when they were paired with a set of fangs, black furs, and a very vicious personality) at Ari.

Anonymous

Well, you don't need your eyes, really. If Liason had ever found his lack of sight a handicap, that was a very long time ago. Now he found that people who could see relied far too heavily on their eyes and that always gave just about everything else an advantage. Like now, for example- he doesn't need to see to pick up the tense vibs coming from Rekka, or the alarm bells going off distractingly in the back of his mind, and for a second  his ears lay flat on his skull, vanishing into his hair. The tail makes two sharp jerks, then wraps around his leg again, the end twitching. Still feigning gentle haplessness, however, he gives the girl a smile. He could sense very little true malice from her. "She's useful for several things." He agrees about the dog. "She's just a plain mutt; she's got some wolf in her somewhere, I've been told." He shrugs, smirking towards the irritated cat, blind eyes narowing in annoyance. "Yes, and you've been reduced to bullying her." He retorts, rather nastily for the first time, though there's amusment in his voice, too.

Before he can say or do much else, Rekka snarls out a sound halfway before a bark and a growl, and snaps at the offeneding threat- the demon cat's raised paw. Her lunge rocks Liason back a step, nearly landing him on his ass. She misses by a mile, and plants herself between her startled partner and the cat, barking like an idiot, the sound echoing through the trees.

Anonymous

Ari stepped back as the dog lunged for the cat. She was normally on good terms with dogs, considering they were easy to acquire forms from, but when they started barking she got edgy. Resisting all urges to kick the damn dog Ari scowled down at the cat.

"What the hell did you do to that dog? By Odo she looks like she's going to attack us..." she trailed off, looking to the beggar.

"Can't you control your damn animal?!?!?!?" she demanded.

It had something to do with professional paranoia that Ari, as a rule, hated barking dogs. They made her nervous and nervousness made her miss things. Like how the beggar's tail was twitching, how he seemed to be aware of everything they did. Dammit, she should have been paying attention....

Anonymous

He ignored the beggar, but Arishnuka he didn't. "Me?" The cat started back, apparently surprised. He bristled, tail lashing furiously, the very image of an offended cat. How could she think that good, innocent, civilized, kind him did something? "Absolutely nothing." he pronounced, and proceeded to wash his back, ignoring the petty two-leggers. Honestly, as though he would bait a dog! Nathair was civilized, by Loki. That Loki was the God of Tricksters and Deceit was irrelevant. "I would never stoop to baiting a dog" He finished venomously between licks. "If you ask me, the dog was molesting me!" The cat spluttered, "Look at my tail?" He turned around to give Ari a good look. "It's all spiky and ugly now!" It was, although the spikiness was really from righteous indignation.

The cat then did what cats did best-thoroughly ignore both Arishnuka and the beggar and washed his paw. Between washes, he gave his company baleful glares.

Anonymous

"Rekka!" The blind man snaps, and the dog falls silent, though she continues to snarl and bristle at both the demon cat and girl. Her master bristles at Ari, blind eyes narrowing.  "Stop being melodramatic, girl. She won't hurt you unless you give her a reason to." He sounds annoyed and a little defensive. "Further reason, that is. She wouldn't bark if someone wasn't behaving like a commen bully, Mr. Demon."  One strong hand lowers to Rekka's head, between her sharp black ears. "It's okay, Rekka my girl." He says, in a mild tone, and the bristling animal whines but lowers herself to her belly, falling silent. Any threat she offered seems gone, but her eyes never stray from the cat. Sharp, sightless eyes turn back on Ari, lips quirked up in a  cocky simi-smirk that no beggar has ever worn.

Anonymous

"Mr. Demon" 's ears flattened instantly, proving that the jibe had reached the cat. His tail twitched aggressively, and enraged, Nathair hissed, "I am not a demon." He got up, his sulk forgotten. How dare the beggar call him a demon? Yes, his late father had been one, but he, Nathair, was not! He snarled, baring his fangs angrily. It never occurred to him that no beggar would have spoke this way, nor worn such an insolent smirk upon his face.

Yes, he was the child of a demon, but he was more than that. His grandfather had been a cait sith of the hills, succumbing to temptation and wooing his grandmother, thus earning him the enmity of his hill masters. And then their child, the fair tortoiseshell of the barnyard, was wooed by a demon in the shape of a miniature panther. Nathair was their child, and he was born of three bloodlines steeped in the ways of the arcane and the predator, and thus not just a petty demon!

Anonymous

Ears flat, fingers fisted in Rekka's ruff, he half turns towards the cat's voice. The sly smirk never falters, dispit Liason's aggitation. "What, do you prefer 'Bones', then?" He drawls, unfazed but wary. He knows he's provoking; it's sort of what he does best, really. Antagonistic and aloof by nature; it's surprising it took Liason this long to start acting like himself. Especally becuse if Rekka doesn't like someone, neither does Liason, most of the time- and she seems very unfond of the cat,  to tell by her low growling.

(Short, again.)

Anonymous

Ari scowled her grey eyes narrowing. What the hell was with this guy? Did he really want to get the cat angry? Ari was prepared to shift and scarper if anything went wrong from this point onwards. Demon or not that cat was strong and Ari did not want to be anywhere near him when he got mad. The beggar, however, was another story.

"What about you then, eh? It's all very well and good to accuse the cat of demonic intentions, but what about you? Is the cauldron calling the skillet black?" she demanded.

In all fairness Ari was prepared to lie if he threw her question back at her. This bastard might have thought he was good, but wasn't that good as far as Ari was concerned.

You did not insult something that was stronger than you and expect not to get hurt.

Anonymous

Nathair hissed, hair raised. This beggar annoyed him. Maybe he would snap little mister beggar's neck, just for the fun of it, or seriously maul his dog.It would also serve as vengeance for the wrongs the hounds had inflicted upon his people, both cat and cait sith. Flexing his claws, he prepared to lunge, when something suddenly occurred to him.

What beggar was so vain? What beggar owned a dog of such fine quality, full of intelligence and (misguided) loyalty? And what beggar dared to antagonize him, and could see through his little ploys so easily? No, whoever this man was, he was not a beggar. He had the confidence of a predator and a fearsome tongue. Nathair wondered idly if this not-beggar also sported teeth.

He retracted his claws, deciding not to attack.  Maybe it was cowardice, but he preferred the term "life-saving."

At Arishnuka's voice, he purred, anger apparently forgotten, or at least suspended,and slinking towards her, thrusted his head where her hand was. Yes, he did expect a petting. Step carefully. he advised her. What beggar could own and afford to keep a dog?

Anonymous

"I assure you, girl, my intentions are- well, certianly not demonic, if not entirly noble." His own anger seems gone, transformed into lazy confidence. The tail has stopped movement the drap along the ground, relaxed. His temper flares quickly but dies just as fast- it's always been an annoyance to him. "Though I think I could, perhaps, say the same for you. But your games are yours to play." A wry grin quirks his lips up, well aware he's lost the guise of 'innocent beggar'. The question was, what happened now? Well, whatever occured next, it would take more then this cat and a shape-shifter to worry him. Oh, he didn't desire any sort of real confrontation- but if one came to pass, he wasn't overly concerned.

Anonymous

Feeling Kitten's head under her hand Ari automatically started to gently pet the giant cat. She was gentle and went with the fur, remembering her own experiences in animal form. Her scowl deepened when the beggar dared to call her noble. She thought she'd gotten rid of some of those pathetic titles and assumptions on Karros.

"The games I play are none of your concern" she snapped, still scowling.

"And we'll kindly please leave my intentions out of this"

She continued to pet the cat, her expression resembling that of passable amiablility. This guy was starting to get on her last nerve abd she still hadn't found her prize. Unless she wanted to starve she needed to find it quickly.

Anonymous

Nathair controlled his less-than-pleased emotions. So demonic and noble were on opposite ends of the scale? It wasn't quite true. Still, it was relieving that this man refused to consider himself likened to Nathair-a bit insulting, but still relieving, since Nathair had no intention of being like the sightless man.

Could you both hurry up the argument here? I'm getting hungry. he complained. Either they could both skedaddle and leave him to hunt, or they could quit arguing and one of them abscond away, or they could hurry the argument up and allow it to escalate into a fight, so that he clean the corpse up. He wasn't sure what he wantd to happen, as long as something happened.

Ari was a good petter, he decided. She wasn't pulling his ears out, pinching him to death, or anything similar to that.

Anonymous

He shrugs again, giving the back of his leg  a pat. Rekka rises instantly,  leaning on him a little. "You were looking for something, when I came on you. Rather urgently, I remember." He smiles, ears twitching. Sometimes he did love the perks being blinde granted. "And something was stolen in town today. An expensive something, too. I heard. Those two things aren't related, are they?" There's simple curiousity in his voice, nothing else. As if he'd never been upset, which is a little odd and a little disturbing. He's not masking anger- it's simply not there any longer, the mood holding only a moment.

Anonymous

"I suppose I'll take my leave, and leave you two to work this out." Nathair drawled aloud, every inch of him radiating disinterest.Seeing no more place in the conversation for him, he waited a beat before retreating into the shadows. It was time to leave. As much as it would be fun listening to Ari's response, it would be far more exhilarating bullying-er, engaging some people in conversation- someone else. Only looking back for a minute, he stalked off. Maybe he would take a trip to Serendipity.

Anonymous

Narrowing her eyes at the beggar Ari wondered why he was interested. As far as she was aware, simple thievery was hardly noticed in a city where murders seemed common. She felt the cat move away from her before she heard him anounce his departure. Good, now all she had to do was get rid of the beggar and she could find her meal ticket.

She knew he'd be harder to get rid of than the cat, but she could always lie her way out of anything. The constabulary had nothing on her, and if asked the lady saw her she wouldn't be recognised as the thief. The lady had seen a man. Ari was most definitely a woman.  

Besides, she'd already lied to Nathair about her involvement in the robbery, it never hurt to lie to the blind.

"Didn't you hear? They all say a man did it" she replied sweetly.

Anonymous

"Oh, they do, do they?" He drawls, an amused smirk curling his lips up. "Well, you know what they say about crowds. Humans are a bucnch of sheep- what one sees they all see. I never take anyone in a crowd's word." He gives Rekka's head a pat, fully  prepared to go. He just wanted to be nosy abit.