Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Infiltrated Infirmary

Started by Anonymous, May 31, 2006, 03:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Kuro's attetion easily ignored everyone else in the room as he was more focused on the reluctant one. Even with Beatrid yelling at him, he still didn't halt. That is until Hek loosened his grip. Once Kuro's wrist was free, he let it fall to his side. He didn't even flinch or rub his wrist free of pain. It almost makes someone wonder if Kuro even felt pain. Hell, he was inhuman enough already.
Pain is a beautiful word if described correctly. It reminds one that they are alive. Something that Kuro has grown to ignore. Kuro's attention finally turned somewhere else for a change when Beatrid spoke up again. No words came from the man as he turned away from the two and went back to his watchpost, where he was before Hek came in.
If he wanted to kill or actually damage the new guy, he would have done so. He was only trying to give Beatrid some privacy while the Nurses tended her needs. That didn't turn out as successful as planned. Now the only thing he can do is keep watch and make sure no one bothers Beatrid while she heals. Especially Reikoku.

Anonymous

Hek was very done, in fact he was so done with this other male that he was about to make the same noises as a teakettle and kick the crap out of Kuro. Would he succeed in kicking the crap out of dear Kuro? Probably not, but Hek would try and possibly bruise the guy, or, aim for his nuts, aiming for nuts was a good plan of action in Heks opinion, he knew it was his weak point, and many a males nuts was his weak point. Off that mental topic, Hek’s hands went to his neck to close the top of his shirt while turning away from Kuro. Fuck, that had hurt! Hek, being male, didn’t show that it was painful, so he was hiding any evidence that it could of hurt, which will probably end up being bruises. What type of person grabs someone by the neck before they even had a chance to leave? When ordered out of a room… By nurses… Casting a side look over his right shoulder to Kuro with a quick but subtle glare he went and took his seat beside Beatrids bed.

Mismatched eyes glared fully at Kuros back while he went and stood across the room from that closet where Kuro had been when he had entered the room. What fun for Beatrid would that be? Hek wasn’t much for culture and etiquette, but he knew it was at least a little polite to look at the person you were talking to. Oh well, Hek was here to pay attention and talk to Beatrid in place of the walking statue… Who had the fucking claws of one too. Lifting his hand to rub his chest in a casual itching looking way, he looked at Beatrid for a moment and grinned before leaning forward to fluff her pillows in which he’d assume to be a comfy way. He was acting like a mother hen! Sitting down, Hek looked at the ground a slight blush on his cheeks and he leaned back putting his hands in his lap.

�Sorry for being such a mother hen, Bumblebee, kind of instinctive… I have a little sister.� The next line was pure boasting, “ and am told I’m the beeest big brother in the whoooole wide world, I'm obviously her only brother.�

A large proud grin turned into a small sad smile and he leaned his head back and closed his eyes before sighing and rubbing his collar bone again in the now not-so-subtle itch way. It was the collar, hell, Hek was used to being topless most of the day because of the heat and here he was, half the day through and he has yet to work up a sweat or get dirty or take off his shirt for something other than a bath. He was going to go insane here with nothing to do but snarl at strange males and baby Beatrid while her side heals. Babying someone wasn’t that bad, it was still something to do and that he usually did with his shirt, unless he was the one getting babied… That was another thing entirely and it completely made him insane and he’d be worse than a crotchy old man whom hucked things because he wanted attention.

Hek was very foul mouthed when he wasn’t allowed to move. Hek looked at Kuro for a moment and back at Beatrid, did she like him? Hek, after knowing her for only maybe half of a day, figured out she was a rather foul and violent female would could take jokes… But did she seem the type to like the stiff silent types? Looking back at Kuro he decided he just didn’t know… Only a day of ‘studying’ a person wasn’t enough to figure out what type of people they liked. Why did he care anyway? Looking to Beatrid he was ready to glare at her if she wasn’t asleep and than lightly ran a hand over her forehead before turning around slightly and dragging the chair closer.

Since someone nearby falling asleep usually helped him do it when he was the one injured, no matter how tired he was, he decided to force a yawn and lower his head to the bed and closing his eyes. Without noticing, being in the city was more tiring than digging up vegetables and before long his breathing was even and slow and quiet.

Hek had fallen asleep, with his head resting on Beatrids bed, his arm supporting his head a few inches from her side. Probably an inadvertent way to keep her from turning on that side if she gets into a deep enough sleep to roll-over, which he hoped she wouldn’t do. His lavender face of hair was lightly brushing her side, but since it was just hair and surprisingly as floppy and un-hard as it looked, it wouldn’t do much else but tickle.

Rhindeer

What an asshole! Beatrid was all-out glaring by the time Kuro finally let go of Hek, her fists bunched tightly at her sides like she wanted desperately to use them. It was a good thing she was wounded and bedridden, because othewise she would have whalloped him one good for that. Unfortunately for her, she could scarcely move without pain shooting through her, so that would just have to wait. Heh. Yeah. Anyone ever told her that pain was a beautiful thing and she'd probably smash their face into a brick wall repeatedly while asking, How beautiful is it now, huh?! between face smashes, of course. It wasn't beautiful, it just hurt like hell and kept her confined to a bed, unable to do a thing but make pictures out of the stains in the ceiling and hope her visitors didn't kill each other. She didn't need pain to remind her that she was alive--she just needed a pulse and air in her lungs. She could do without the pain, oh yes she could...hell, if she had been any other type she would probably be crying like a sissy right now, except she was about as stubborn as a man in that respect.

She did not cry.

Her eyes just watered now and then.

She did, however, grimace and make little involuntary sounds of pain now and then, but the grimacing could easily be transformed into glaring, which suited her fine, especially right now. Oh yeah. She was impressed. Two visitors and one of them, her "rescuer", picks a fight with the other for no good reason. Real nice. She was certainly not impressed that Kuro, the one that had started that little confrontation, was also the last to finish it, and she hated being ignored, too. Another reason why she hated being bedridden--she could be ignored. Maybe that was why she had violent tendencies, because she spent a lot of time fighting of perverted advances and had no other way to get someone's attention when words failed.

Psha. Yeah right.

She was about to make some other demand when Kuro finally let go, turned away, and...went back into watchdog mode without saying a word. Not a single word.

Bah...whatever.

Beatrid was still fuming and frowning silently at Kuro's back when Hek came back over to her bedside and leaned over her. She blinked and started slightly--which of course made the wound hurt more and made her gasp sharply before she could bite her lip--but then...Hek was reaching down to fluff the pillow behind her, which she was not currently leaning on and which was currently a little to the left of her, as she was still sitting up. He actually fluffed her pillow for her. Beatrid looked over at Hek in surprise as he sat down, looking strangely sheepish.

And, for probably one of the few times since she'd met Hek, a genuine smile actually curved her lips. Not a mocking smile, or pissed one, or rueful one, but a truly content one that was quite the contrast from her usual glares and scowls, and she suddenly felt kind of bad for how she'd been to him earlier...especially for ditching him just because she'd been getting stressed out. Heh...mother hen. He certainly was. Trying not to wince too much, she shifted as carefully as she could to lay back down, breath coming out as a sharp, pained hiss whenever she moved wrong--which was everytime, because there was no right way to move. But, laying down turned out to be more comfortable in the end--took less effort, and she really was exhausted. Now that everything was calm again--and Hek didn't look too badly hurt, or at least he didn't say anything--she could maybe sneak in  quick nap.

Hey, the nurses had ordered her to.

"Heh...I was the little sister in my family," Beatrid told Hek quietly but fondly, grinning a little. "And I know my big sister was the beeest big sister in the whooole wide world. She was my only sister, too, but...y'know." She smiled and laid her head back against the nicely fluffed pillow, letting her eyes drift closed like they wanted to. It was odd, she never really talked about herself much, but then, she could never really relate to many other people. It felt comfortable talking to Hek, though; sure, he was perverted like any guy, but he really did have that brotherly, friend vibe going for him. She liked that. It was soothing and familiar--not that she'd ever tell him that, because she wasn't the mushy type. "Bet your sister was right. I know I was right about mine," she added firmly.

The big, proud grin he'd worn previously further confirmed her previous little revelation.

She cracked an eye open when Hek ran a hand over her forehead, then gave a tired smile. Heh, her mom used to do that when she was little and sick. Yep. He really was a mother hen. But...she actually didn't mind it. It sort of brought back some fond memories, and she wasn't opposed to all types of physical contact--just the types that included boob grabs and butt pinches, the uncomfortable, non-platonic shit. Man. All this after she'd kind of been an ass.

"...Sorry about ditching you," she murmured tiredly, trying to keep her eyes open and absently ruffling his strange hair once, apologetically.

It was hard to keep her eyes open, however, when Hek wasn't keeping his open, getting all too comfortable looking his his head on her bed. Soon, his breathing was even and quiet, but Beatrid's was, too. Indeed, it wasn't much longer before she'd also drifted off, nice and comfortable inside the sweater and beneath the sheet, in the room with Kuro as a watchdog and Hek sleepin next to her.

And if any one of them pointed out that she snored, she'd kill them. But for now, she was sleeping like a log with one arm on her stomach and the other tucked up inside the sweater.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Kuro remained still and silent the entire time he stood on the other side of the bed next to Beatrid's bed. He leaned against the bedpost, keeping his eye on the door and his ears on any sound the whole time. He listened to the conversation the two behind him were having. How both of them were sounding like they were comparing each other to their siblings. Once everything got soundless in the room, Kuro turns his head to look at the sleeping duo. He turn his head back to face forward, but looks at the ground before looking at the door again.
"I was more like a father to my younger siblings. That was, until I left them without notice. Now I look after this kingdom in place of them, not even knowing if they are still alive or not." Kuro speaks to, clearly himself since everyone else is asleep. If he could only show his true colors around others, people might start to think differently about Kuro.

Anonymous

Being a bit of a light sleeper during the daytime, he had heard and felt Beatrids apology and the ruffling of his funny hair. So, after that, he kept his head lowered and he yawned silently again, resisting the urge to sit up when Kuro spoke. In Heks half asleep brain, he could only sum up ‘Wow, those are really big siblings,’ so he blinked a few times and kept his head down, assuming that Kuro was assuming they were asleep, which meant he wasn’t supposed to hear that. No problem, Hek had no problem pretending he hadn’t heard it, but his neck was getting sore and he’d only been laying like this for ten minutes or so. Good think he woke up or he’d have such a bad crick in his neck. Hek sat up, stretched and than moved his chair back a bit to stand up and stretch again. Leaning over Beatrid to make sure she was really asleep, a light smile was on his face and he brushed the hair on her cheek this time. If it wasn’t apparent, since Hek had no family here, he had adopted Beatrid as a little sister to love and to hold… And to annoy the shit out of when ever he got the chance.

The sounds of birds taking flight drew his attention to the window and his face grew worried for a few seconds before retaining its sleepy look. He really was sleepy; clothes’s shopping was harder than it looked. He wondered how the hell women liked doing it… Ever. Hopefully Beatrid didn’t like shopping because he had a horrible suspicion that if she ever did go shopping, she’d drag him with her. Than probably ditch him again to get her ass kicked by unknown people… Mismatched eyes looked at Kuro while he stood up and walked slightly behind him, but a good arms length away. How did Hek know that Kuro wasn’t the one who had caused this? He only knew she got slashed and that it was on the left, he didn’t know what caused it, who caused it or why. Maybe it was all Kuros fault and she would have been fine if she hadn’t have left him to fend for himself. Oh well, Beatrid didn’t seem like she wanted to say anything and if she didn’t want to that was okay, right? Right.

Now standing a good two arm lengths away from Kuro he turned to him so that he was still a ways away but facing the silent male. The one thing Hek really didn’t know, and wanted to know, why this guy was so hostile towards him. What had he done? Last he looked Beatrid wasn’t in any type of relationship with him, and if she was she was doing everything she could to get Kuro to dump her. So, putting his hands in his pockets, Hek-Akiz licked his lips before directly speaking to the statue.

�Do I present a problem to you or something, am I annoying, because I'm getting the vibe that you don't want me here, I'm right, arn't I?

He wanted to know, hopefully his talking didn’t wake up Beatrid, but her breathing sounded like she was on the verge of snoring which meant she was in a pretty deep sleep already. So, Hek stood there, ready to jump back incase Kuro tried to grab him by the collar bone (seriously, how the hell do you do that? You <I>do</I> know where your collar bone is, right?) again to drag him out of the room. His neck already hurt when he touched it, he didn’t want to think about how it would felt it someone touched it again doing the exact same thing that hurt it.

Rhindeer

Hek had nothing to worry about, really. Beatrid hated shopping and did it only when it was absolutely necessary--like when her clothes started falling apart. Well, maybe that was an exaggeration, but yeah, it got across how often she went shopping well enough. That just wasn't her thing...useless waste of time, really, and so boring. Which meant, now that Hek was around, she would drag him along with her next time, just to keep her company and, well, not bored.

That was a long ways into the future, though. She needed to be able to walk, first.

Beatrid was a pretty deep sleeper when she was sleeping the sleep of sheer exhaustion, like now, which meant she might as well have been knocked out. Which she basically had been, earlier. Otherwise, she could sleep fairly lightly and wake up at the drop of a hat. Just depended on how tired she was, really. In any case she didn't hear any of what Kuro said, nor did she feel Hek finally got up, even when he brushed the hair off her cheek. Heck, she didn't even move unless you counted a slight, reflexive twitch that people tended to do in their sleep when someone touched their face. Nope, she was really gone, so gone she wasn't even dreaming. Or, at least, she wouldn't remember any of her dreams when she did wake up, which was probably for the best because, given all that had happened the past few days, the dreams would probably be pretty screwed up to say the least.

Still, once her body decided it had gotten enough rest and the pain in her side began to return as sleep began to fade, she stirred a little uncomfortably, which of course made her side feel just dandy. That woke her up, and she'd been about ready to groan and open her eyes, then request someone to go find a nurse so they could "professionally" clonk her over the head and knock her out again, except...Hek's voice suddenly filled the silence, coming from a little ways away and from the opposite side of the bed than where he'd fallen asleep previously.

Now, that might not have otherwise stopped her from opening her eyes and acting awake, except what he as saying...Beatrid quickly shut her eyes all the way again and forced her breathing to even out and deepen again. She'd faked sleep successfully quite a few times in the past, mostly when she just didn't want to do something or when she was supposed to be sleeping but couldn't. Or, when she was eavedropping. Like she was now. Bad, Beatrid. But Hek was asking a very interesting question, and somehow Beatrid knew that if she interrupted, Kuro probably wouldn't answer. Hell, he probably wouldn't answer now. But she wasn't taking any chances wrecking that. Hek had asked an honest question, so maybe Kuro would supply him with an honest answer if he didn't feel like anyone else was listening in.

Might be an honor thing, you know.

Remembering that, according to other people, she snored (though she never liked being told that), she made her breathing a little deeper in a practiced way, imitating the way people's breathing tended to get before they were about to snore. She didn't fake that, though; after all, she wanted to be able to hear what was being said, because suffice to say she was interested. It was something she had also been wondering.

Now, if Kuro suddenly decided to grab Hek's collar bone again...that was another story. She'd be awake in a flash.

[Forgive this post. I am falling asleep as I write...and I don't think writing about sleeping people was a good combination...so...it's lame. *passes out*]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Kuro's eyes never left the door. He was expecting anything to happen. Anything except the for one of the sleepers to wake up. He could hear Hek moving around behind him. He could feel the man's presence near him slightly, then move back again. It wasn't until Hek asked his question when Kuro realized the curiousity in his own actions. Every question deserve an answer, no matter what the way it is answered. In the current situation, it deserved an honest answer.
"Forgive my earlier actions. I wasn't myself. I was still on edge from the battle earlier." Kuro begins in a calm and concerned tone. He turns his head enough to look in Hek's direction. Also to make sure if Beatrid was still asleep.
"I was not expecting my nemesis to find me for some time yet. But he did and Beatrid happened to be unfortunate enough to be around. I told her to leave while she could, but she didn't listen. I was distracted and things got a little out of hand." He paused as he turned back to facing the door. He looks down to the floor before himself before continuing.
"Beatrid saved my life. No one has ever done that but myself. If she had listened to me to begin with, she wouldn't be where she is now." He stops to turn around to face Hek without his back in the way.
"He is still out there somewhere. It takes more than a bullet to take him down. I still am a bit tensed on that thought. I overreacted when the situation got obscure in here. So, there you have it. I have no problem with you. Only myself." He finishes before he turns back around and begins to head towards the door.

Anonymous

So, there the parakeet man stood. Rather creeped that Kuro happened to answer the questions that were floating around in his head too. He didn't show it on his face, but in his head he demand himself to stop thinking repeatedly just incase Kuro might pick up on his mental images and thoughts. Not that his mental images were bad or anything. Though, by the time Kuro was all done with his speach, or, almost done at least, he had vaguely answered Heks asked question. Though now he had much more information than he could ever want about this situation, and something that just made Hek want to stand there with a eyebrow raised with a 'huh?' expression on his face. So, an edgy Kuro told by nurses to skedaddle grabs nearist persons collar bone and tries to drag them out of a room? Hek could only come up with one explination to that... Kuro had a horrible fear of nurses, the colour white, or needles. Opening and closing his mouth a few times before he could really think of words to say, Hek closed his mouth for a few moments and then spoke while Kuro was walking to the door.

"I'm not going to forgive you, it was very uncalled for and 'being on edge,' dosn't help you when it was a simple request laid out by nurses. Calm down for crying out loud, and stop being so damned paranoid. It's really tiring and almost pathetic, I don't know you, and from the way you act I don't really want to."

With that said Hek turned around and went to stand by a window and looked out of it. His shoulder leaning on the wall and he rested his head on it. The sun was out, and it was almost dusk. Hek missed his home, a lot. First inadvertant night away from home in a weird castle full of strangers. It was like a unrequested sleep over at a friends house all the way in almost another country. One thing for sure though, Hek knew it sucked, a lot, did he even know where his room was? For a few moments, Hek racked his brain for the location of his room and than made his funny hissing sound when he couldn't remember. Ah well, he could pull an all nighter wandering around, maybe escape and run back home. After watching the sky for a few minutes, Hek turned around again and proceeded towards his chair, sitting down and waited for Beatrid to wake up.

((OOC: Baaaad post... sorry! XD))

Rhindeer

That wasn't really the sort of answer she'd been expecting. Really, she'd been expecting Kuro to lay out some sort of reason for why he seemed to dislike Hek, but instead he...spilled out everything that happened. Not that she really minded; if Hek had asked for details, she would have given them because it wasn't like it was a secret or anything. Some asshole came to pick a fight and she stepped in. Nothing unusual, though the whole "life saving" bit was kind of embarrassing; she was no hero, she was just doing her job, but she felt pretty stupid for getting her side torn up and nearly dying as a result in the process of trying to rescue someone. Yeesh. She should have done a better job with the saving bit, indeed, because it seemed a bit counter-productive to save some from death or injury only to be killed or injured in the process, not that she'd had much time to think of a better way to approach the situation. She winced a little at that detail but kept her eyes shut and breathing even.

The detail about that Reiwhatever guy still being alive, however, was what made her the most twitchy. What? But she'd shot him! Point blank in the chest! Lots of vital things were in the chest, the heart being one of them! People didn't just tend to live very long after that, unless they were inhuman or just very lucky with access to immediate medical attentionl. Hell, even if you didn't hit any organs or arteries you could still bleed to death. Maybe Kuro hadn't seen where she'd shot him. In any case, last she'd seen of him, he'd been laying down motionless, and she was pretty sure that, if he survived, he wouoldn't be up and about for a long time.

She wasn't too worried. He came around again and, next time, she'd blow his brains out. There was no way anyone could get up and walk around after that, unless they were a zombie, but then they were already dead.

Ah, whatever. What it all boiled down to was that, indeed, it seemed Kuro was stressed, he really needed to relax some, and he really shouldn't randomly flip out on people, especially those who were on his side. Okay...maybe she was often stressed out herself and also snapped at her fellow Mordecai, but, well...usually that stress actually stemmed from certain Mordecai to begin with, which resulted in her snapping at them because they were bothering her. But she didn't really do the whole "displaced anger" thing. Nah. She had no reason to, because when she was angry at someone, she was angry at them and promptly let them know it. Thus, the rightful person got to suffer instead of some innocent maid or random passerby! It worked perfectly! For the maids and random passerbys.

Kuro should probably take a leaf from her book in that area. Which meant he should have bloody finished Reibastard off to begin with, damnit! It would have taken, what, all of two seconds to pick up her pistol and add a few more holes to his body, of use that katana of his to slice of his head. Hey, she wouldn't have lost that much more blood in the three seconds that would have taken, and then no one would have to be stressed about the guy magically jumping out of a closet at them. Though, Beatrid sort of felt she had a bit more to worry about in that aspect...she'd shot him, so chances are he'd want revenge, blah blah blah, on her.

Fun stuff. She'd make sure to shoot first, talk later next time, if there was a next time.

In any case, she couldn't blame Hek for his answer to that. First impressions were a bitch, Kuro had kind of blown it, and the sad thing was...Beatrid had known him for years and this was about as profound as he'd ever gotten. He was talking more, sure--Beatrid wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing--but he was still so...stiff and expressionless and toneless, like he wasn't even a real person. It was creepy, really. Seriously, did the guy ever smile or laugh? Maybe he was a zombie. A zombie ninja. Heh heh, brains.

Beatrid couldn't keep playing asleep any longer, because that random revelation made her grin far too broadly to pretend to be asleep--unless, of course, she was having a really good dream--and she finally let her eyes open, just like that, and stretched her right arm over her head while yawning. "Have a riveting conversation, you two?" she asked blandly, glancing once toward Kuro before letting her eyes rest on Hek with a wry smile on her lips. Done stretching, she let her hand flop over to rest on her chest, on top of the nice, comfy sweater.

It was pretty obvious that she hadn't been sleeping.

Anonymous

Kuro heard what Hek had to say. He stopped with his hand on the doorknob and lowered his head as he listened. Almost as if he didn't hear Hek at all, Kuro opens the door and heads out into the hallway, just as Beatrid makes her presence known. He was right. Perhaps it's better for Kuro to distance himself from everyone else until he cooled off a bit. He pressed his back against the wall beside the door to close his eyes. After a moment, he opens his eyes and begins to walk down the hallway. He seems to be heading towards the training grounds. Perhaps practicing would help him relieve stress.

Anonymous

Sitting down, Hek saw Beatrids huge grin and wondered what the hell she was dreaming about. Of course some things went through his head, but nothing he’d like to repeat in her presents just incase it was worth of getting his ass kicked over, and Hek didn’t want to get his ass kicked. That hurt. Looking towards the door, he noticed Kuro about to leave, and then leave moments before Beatrid sat up. That was surprising, Hek was expecting kuro to stay around so Hek didn’t jump on Beatrid and magically want to hump her. He seriously didn’t her question made him look around for a moment before he answered it.

�I do believe we did… He’s creepy… glad I met you first or I’d have been looong gone, More-de-cray or not… still don’t really know what the hell that is.�

Looking back outside, and knowing that, though she was awake, she’d still be sleepy. He leaned down, gave her a quick cute brotherly kiss on the forehead and than lightly patted her cheek.

�You should get some actual sleep and not just a fifteen minute nap, Bumblebee… I’ll come bug you tomorrow… and the day after that..� Hek slowly started to walk backwards towards the door,� and the day after that, and the day after that!�

So, Hek did, over the next few weeks, Hek visited Beatrid daily and brought her books to make her shut up about how bored she was. And he was even really evil and got a maid to lend him a rather hot romance novel, which he still had yet to be bitched at about, which meant Beatrid either liked it or she hadn’t read it yet. He hoped it was the first one because he wasn’t looking forward to having a paperback novel meet his forehead, let alone a raunchy one. So, it was another day and Beatrid was still in pretty rough shape, at least, he was the last time he saw her, Hek never got around to seeing her the day before because he had ‘training’ which was basically him sitting down and thinking… At least, that’s what it seemed like because the instructor, in Heks humble opinion, blew monkey chunks. A lavender fanned head poked into the room and a smile on his face.

So, Hek went into the room, quietly and silent as a mouse, and went to her bed and stared for a good full minute before saying.

�Good morning Bumblebee… You look better�

Again with the grin and he put his hands in his pockets. He was wearing the clothing he had come here in, the belts and the whole nine yards, minus the dirt.

Rhindeer

It was horrible staying bedridden like that, and over the days and weeks, Beatrid had been going absolutely stir crazy. Every time a nurse came in, she practically interrogated the poor girl for news from what had become known to Beatrid as "the outside world". Okay, maybe that was pathetic, she hadn't been wounded long, but still! Bah! What a "vacation" this had turned out to be! Seriously. What made her even more twitchy was to learn that there was apparently a huge battle taking place in Reajh--some bastard was tearing the place up, some mage. Beatrid wanted desperately to get out there and go help, but she obviously couldn't in her state, and the fact that the mage was able to function meant that there were no Mordecai on the scene. And since no one knew Mordecai existed outside of folk tales, Beatrid had to rein in her anger and act like that was nothing unusual, because she certainly couldn't tell even a nurse what she was. Only other Mordecai, dragoons and other high ranking officials.

Well. There was nothing she could do. Oh well...

Hek visiting her everyday was what kept her sane. Sure, they'd had a rocky start, but she found herself actually looking forward to his visits. She'd long since eaten the chocolate he'd bought her, but soon he was bringing her books to stave her boredom when he wasn't around to entertain her. Heh, how'd he know she liked to read? Maybe he'd snuck onto her room and discovered her stash...of books. Nothing naughty, or at least that's what she'd claim, but one could only wonder about that because she hadn't complained when Hek had brought her a rather racy novel one day, sneaking it in after bringing her so many tame romance and adventure novels. In fact, she hadn't said a thing about it at all. Truth be told, though, it was hidden beneath her pillow so she could giggle at it when no one was around, flipping through all the pointless "romance" parts to get straight to the juicy bits!

...Though she did not giggle. No. She chuckled</I>.

Bah, she had to amuse herself somehow, right? And those books were so funny. C'mon, throbbing manhood? Love tunnel? Was that really supposed to be hot, and...did people really get off on that crap? She'd have to ask Hek, though she wasn't sure whether or not she'd like the answer.

Ah yes. Such deep thoughts.

The days dragged by, the only fast parts being when Hek visited her, and those were the parts that she wished would drag, because they always ended so quickly. And then she'd be bored and alone again. Hey, you could only read so many books before that, too, got a bit old. Soon enough she'd be working on lame history texts because the library would run out of fiction. In any case, Hek was far more interesting than books, and soon she began seeing him as a sort of brother, a good friend. Occassional bickering and all.

Still, there came a point where she was finally allowed to get up on her own--without the help of a nurse--and soon she was no longer dizzy or light-headed. Before long, she could walk around on her own, dress on her own, all that fun stuff...though her side was still achey and she still had stitches and all that. One day, Hek also didn't visit...and that was probably the worst day out of those couple of weeks, though she'd likely never admit that outside of her deathbed.

It was the day after that that Beatrid got up, bored out of her mind (she could only read that dirty novel so many times before not even it was funny anymore) and slipped out of her nightshirt to get dressed for the day. Her side was feeling much better, if it was still tender, but that was okay. She could walk just fine now, so it was time to get dressed and take a stroll around the palace, which was about all she was allowed to do, no matter how much she insisted that she was fine. But, eh, even if the nurses didn't know that she was a Mordecai, they did know she was high ranking...which meant they would drive her insane. Which was why it was time to escape before they could stop her and raise a bloody fuss!

Back facing the door and on the opposite side of the bed from the door, just as a precaution, she was just slipping on her loose, well-worn breeches when the door opened. Beatrid didn't think anything of it at first save to grit her teeth, expecting it to be some nurse who would rush over to baby her. Damned doors had no locks on them, so she couldn't lock them out of the room! However, she soon discovered that, no...that was so not a nurse. In fact, it was none other than Hek, because he had somehow managed to quietly approach...and speak up right behind her.

"GYAH!" Beatrid never moved faster in her life. She yanked her pants up all the way, wrapped her arms over her chest, and would have dropped to the ground to hide behind the bed if her side wasn't still sore and bending wasn't still difficult. Instead, she groped behind her blindly on the bed for her shirt, couldn't find it, and was forced to turn slightly so she coukd snatch it up and hold it to her chest. Then, because now Hek was staring at her bare back, she turned around to face him, face red. Did he have to stand right there?! Oh Gods. How bloody long had he been there? Now he'd either seen her ass or her boobs (if he came in from just the right angle) or both. Fuuuuuuck!

"YOU!" she roared, unable to fathom up much else to say at the moment. "You...you...can't you knock like a normal person?! Turn around! Turn around now!" she demanded. "I'll deal with you when I'm dressed, so stay put or I'll hunt you down! Oh, no, Hek. I haven't forgotten what you said, darling. Remember? Heh, I really hope you haven't forgotten what I said, either, because I was fucking serious." That last bit was said with a hint of a malicious grin as she tried not to act like being walked in on embarrassed her as much as it actually did.

Yup. She was feeling much better already
!

Anonymous

Kuro had passed out in the next room. Not something he was expecting himself to do. He had always been around the area. Either in Beatrid's room or the next room. Luckily, the walls were thin enough to keep a good ear for any sign of comotion. Of course, he heard of what happened with the mage in the village, but he couldn't leave Beatrid like that. Any distraction means a large opportunity or advantage for the enemy. He wasn't about to take any risks.
His eyes suddenly shot open when he heard Beatrid yell out. Barely even a second passed and he was already out the door. He stopped at the door to Beatrid's room and held a dagger in his hand, ready for anything.
"You alright in there, Beatrid?" He calls in through the closed door. He didn't want to go bargging in like a barbarian and making the situation any worse off than it can be. If she's being attacked, the attacker could injure her, being startled by the door opening all of the sudden. He kept his cautions until he heard her talking to Hek, using his name. There are still possibilities though.
"I'm coming in." He calls out one last time, while slowly reaching for the doorknob.

Anonymous

((While I'm sure the other Mordecai will have a problem with Yones showing up, I'm hoping you guys don't. The story I'm going with is that he was injured badly during the unfinished catacombs thread. EDIT: And now I notice that Small Wonder will be away for a while. Oh well.))

god damnit, did they have to be so loud? People were trying to sleep here!

Yones Mallak opened his eyes, waiting for them to adjust to the light in the room. He still felt (and probably looked) like hell, even after all this time laying in bed. The last few days he'd been allowed to walk around the small room with the assistance of a nurse and a cane, the latter of which he groped for with his "good hand." There was no one here at the moment, but it wouldn't do to have anyone wander in and discover his writing hand was actually un-injured, even if his other wounds were real enough.

That fact was painfully apparent (quite literally) as he attempted to stand. He hadn't yet walked unnassisted since the incident in the catacombs, but he was determined to give whoever was in the next room a piece of his mind. Yelling in a goddammed infirmary of all things.

It hurt like a bitch, but Yones managed to raise himself to a standing position and stagger over to the door. This method of movement was quite humiliating for someone who generally prided himself on his grace (no matter how average it might have been in reality). His hair was probably a mess as well. A damn shame, as it was finally a decent length and would have been quite attractive to the ladies had he the time to properly care for it. All things in their place though.

So, time for the door. Well, he'd use his hand just this once, it was unlikely anyone would see. The door swung open, the light from the hallway temporarily blinding him. As he stepped out, he saw a figure dressed in black holding a dagger, apparently preparing to rush into the adjoining room.

Yones, being in the infirmary, did not have a weapon on him. So he did the only thing he could.

"HOLY SHIT! ASSASSINS IN THE PALACE! GUARDS! WHERE ARE THE GUARDS GODDAMMIT?"

Anonymous

((Hee hee! Welcome to the thread! 8D I’m glad you’re here, the more the merrier! Sorry if the post was late and looks rushed... x_X Had to get a lot in it and yeah, sorry if I inadvertantly powerplayed.))

Thought it was all fun and games for Hek-Akiz, wonderful useless yet pretty Mordecai of the fair and few, it was a heart attack and a half for poor Beatrid. Hek nearly jumped back and laughed, but knowing that would gain him a black eye or two he didn’t and just pretended to look scared. It worked, he hoped.  At least the view had been nice, even if the scar that the wound left was eye catching and sore looking, surprisingly he hadn’t been looking at the bottom or the chest that he had been presented with so graciously his mismatched eyes had stared at the healing wound. Who ever did that was certainly a jerk-off, but, who ever had done that was obviously dangerous, or Beatrid was just being stupid and not really thinking when she did whatever she did to get herself wounded. His eyes went to her flustered face and he kept himself from smiling, his urge to smile died when she said her threat. Oh, shit. How could he have forgotten that? How could he have assumed Beatrid forgot that?

Great, now Hek-Akiz, the still very-much-so-newb More-creak-crab was going to have to prance around in the castle in a pink dress in high heels and the whole nine yards… Would he have to do his hair to? Hek pondered for a moment about how short it was and how that it would be impossible to do much other than slap a pretty pink bow on the lavender fan of hair… Best not mention that to <I>her</I>. A sly grin appeared on his face and he crossed his arms over his chest, not leaving quiet yet and hearing a voice coming from the other side, Hek spoke louder than normal to drown it out.

�Only if you walk around with me in a tuxedo and a top hat and a cane… You can be my gentleman if I have to be a lady.�

Taking a few steps back towards the door, walking backwards just to piss off her scariness, he heard someone yell about an assassin. Crap, well, that was no good. That certainly drowned out Kuros other spoken thing so Hek didn’t hear that either, going to the door he yanked it open, staying behind the door incase this ‘assassin’ came flying in with daggers drawn and throwing stars and disappearing gas or whatever the hell it was that they used. For a moment, Hek’s mismatched eyes widened at the sight of the ‘assassin’ who did indeed have a dagger out, before remembering he had heard Kuros voice through the door. Oh, haha, that wasn’t an assassin! It was just Kuro, the one who was obsessive about Beatrid. Hek had noticed how often he saw Kuro in this wing, which was almost every time he visited.

Hek didn’t really ever see him in the room, but in the hallway or another room somewhere when the door was open. Hopefully Beatrid knew about that and wasn’t creeped out by it, or, she didn’t and wasn’t creeped out by it, who knew?  Walking out of the room behind Kuro, not really caring if he got noticed by him or if had gone to save Beatrid from the Evil Peeping Heks, he went to check on the familiar voice from down the hall.

Mismatched eyes drifted to the man… Oh! That was why he was so familiar! It was Drones! That was his name right? Hek took a few steps closer, his arms up to show he wasn’t an assassin.

�You! I remember you, … something-ones, right? I’m Hek-Akiz… That wasn’t an assassin, it was just Kuro… He probably thought I was doing something indecent with Beatrid, but I wasn’t…� though I’d like to, “ I swear, and if I was� Hek gave a slow manly nod, “ I’d make sure she was quiet.�

Should he mention the whole dress thing? Would that take off the ‘wtf?’ factor when he did walk around in his pink poofy dress? Hek pondered for a moment before looking back and Yones (or Drones as Hek knows him) blinking a few times. Why was he here? And how long? Hek noticed the injuries and that if he had them he sure as hell wouldn’t be standing up. Being the peace maker, or at least he thought himself to be, he took the first step to being ‘friendly’ which would probably be taken as sympathy, which it half was anyway.

�Here, let me help you back to your bed… I’d feel like keeling over if I were you…�

Which was the truth, Yones â€"did- look like hell. It was official, Hek was one hell of a mother hen, but he didn’t mind if he came off a little… Feminine. Girls liked that, right?

Rhindeer

Despite her own predicament, Beatrid managed a dry chuckle, even if it was a nervous, awkward one. "You say it like it'd bother me," she said, raising an eyebrow. Dress in a suit and tophat, complete with a cane? Not a problem. Hek had only known her a few weeks now, and quite a few of those weeks she'd been locked up in an infirmary because she'd had to go and get herself sliced up. Thus, he probably didn't know that, as it was, she always wore men's clothing, anyway, and never ever wore women's clothes. So, really, for her wearing something like that wouldn't be strange at all, even if she had never dressed so formally before. Anyway, it was just how she was, and she would die before she ever willingly put on a dress. Which...made this all the more strange. Hek was so willing to go through with this! Hmm...

Something to ponder.

Maybe he crossdressed in his spare time? After all, she hadn't seen much of him outside the infirmary, either. You never knew what someone did behind closed doors. Beatrid couldn't help but smirk a little; damn, this sucked, because she was finding it difficult to stay pissed off at the guy! That was certainly a first, because she usually derived a certain amount of not-so-guilty pleasure from tearing into someone, but the guy was such a weirdo that it was becoming hard to be much more than simply amused at the moment, Then again, the image of Hek decked out in a pink, frilly dress complete with lingerie beneath was just...great. The prospect of actually seeing it was almost worth the humiliation--worth it to the point that she was almost glad these rooms had no locks.

But that was her secret.

And she still intended on drawing out this little revenge of hers. Oh yes. She'd make Hek streak through the palace in nothing but his lingerie at the end of the night, even if she had to make him do it at gunpoint, bwahaha!

Ahem.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be your gentleman. Now get the hell outta here, already, lemme dress, and next time knock, will ya? Damn," she told him, screwing her face back up into a disapproving scowl, though her words lacked their usual bite. Mostly because she just wasn't angry anymore, so she just couldn't muster up the effort to pretend. Though, it did help some when Hek backed away rather than turn and walk out like a normal person, which meant he was probably doing it to bother her and stare at her half-clothed form more. The sicko. Glaring at him, though only half genuinely, she pressed her shirt firmly to her chest with one hand and grabbed a pillow with the other, cranking her arm back in preparation to chuck it at him, but that was when someone yelled loudly from outside the room about an assassin...and when Hek went and yanked the door open, and hid behind it, of course!

"SHUT THE GODDAMN DOOR!" Beatrid yelled as she dropped down behind the bed in case some assassin barged in, guns a-blazing, half panicked at the moment since she was not only half clothed but weaponless, as well. Shit! Too late for that, she'd glimpsed someone in black at the door just before she'd ducked. What was wrong with Hek?! You did not open a door if someone outside was yelling about assassins! Especially now that she knew all about her fellow Mordecai, Kuro's, lovely assassin clan shit and since she just-so-happened to have totally owned one of Kuro's rival assassins. Call her paranoid, but she wasn't stupid--that one guy had tried to kill her right off the bat because he obviously wanted to target Kuro's teammates to get to him or something, and since she'd gone the extra step and put that guy out of commission, well, it really wasn't much of a stretch to say they'd like to get revenge on her. That was how that worked, right? Right. It was predictable like that. Normally, she'd find that exciting, but since she had no gun and was shirtless, it really wasn't something she wanted to deal with at the moment.

Crouched on the other side of the bed, the side farthest from the door, she looked around quickly for something, anything, that she could use as a weapon. The only thing she found were her boots, but she snatched them up just the same and readied herself. They were pretty heavy and had some thick, hard soles--a well aimed boot could easily knock someone out! Boots in hand, she peered cautiously over the bed, and...and then she groaned.

Well, technically, it was an assassin. Just not the type she was expecting. Kuro was standing there with his knife out, and Hek was already walking out of the room past Kuro. Er...well...guess that was it, then. No real assassins.

Groaning, Beatrid pressed both hands to the top of the bed and rose to her feet to fix Kuro with an angry--but, though she'd never admit it, relieved--stare. "What the fuck are you doing?!" she demanded, jabbing a finger in his direction. "Shit! Are you trying to freak everyone the hell ou--shit! Get out! Out, Kuro, get out now!"

That had to be the part where she realized her shirt was no longer with her, but was laying on the ground where she'd dropped it in her search for weapons, since modesty wasn't exactly a top priority when danger was about. Her sentence ended in a yelp as she dropped back down behind the bed, mindless of her sore, scarring side, and wasted no time in yanking the shirt over her head. Backwards, no less, but she really didn't care.

That also had to be the moment where the palace guards, having heard Yones' yell, came onto the scene, weapons at the ready--though a general air of confusion soon replaced determination when all they found was not an assassin, but Kuro, dagger drawn, by Beatrid's room with Beatrid yelling at him to go away, and Hek over by Yones talking about not doing indecent stuff with Beatrid and offering to help the guy back to his room, all mother-hen like.

Yeah. Just a little weird.

Mordecai...

Anonymous

Kuro stopped reaching for the door when Yones began yelling off his presence. Kuro nearly threw his dagger at the fool to silence him, but decided against harming fellow Mordecai. The door swong open when Kuro had his head turned to Yones. Kuro instantly dropped into a ready position and swong his head back inside the room. All he could see is Beatrid dive over the bed and Hek poke his head around the door. He finally dropped his guard as Hek walked out of the room. He could only lower his head and shake it.
When Beatrid began talking to Kuro, he looked up in her direction, only to get yelled at to get out. Funny thing is, he never entered the room. All his did was slowly reach for the door to close it. He put his dagger away and stood in front of the door so that no one would enter. This has been an odd few weeks. Even when the ninja is more paranoid than the woman, who's head is at stake.

Anonymous

Yones just stood in shock for a few moments. He had forgotten about the new recruit, the country bumpkin with a horrible memory for names. What was he doing here?

Oh yes, doing some indecent with Beatrid. It was like the baths all over again... Except apparently that's not what they were doing. Then why was Beatrid here?

Then there was the assassin, or rather, Kuro, who looked pissed enough to kill someone. Yones took a few steps away from him, and from the rapidly approaching Hek, who was saying something about assisting him back to bed.

"I don't need your damn help! Don't touch me!" The last thing he needed was this bumbling fool to knock him over or something.

Then Beatrid appeared at the door, yelling at everyone within range, and shirtless... so were they actually... But...

"You know what? I'm going back to bed. Unless there's actually some reasonable explanation for all this, but I don't see how that could be." He took another step backward, nearly tripping over an approaching guard. "THE HELL?"

Yones rebounded off the guard, slamming into the closest wall, and slid to the ground, breathing heavily. This was not a good day.

Anonymous

(See? I told you it sucked xP)

Okay, so he didn’t need his help, didn’t have to freak out like Hek touching him would make him explode into a billion pieces very painfully. Feeling more than a little hurt at the rejection to over the simple offer to help, it wasn’t all that surprising, apparently that bad day that Hek had met this person on only turned into a bad few weeks, and Hek never seemed to introduce himself at a good time. Pretty soon he’d just give up. A quick glare towards Yones and Hek went across the hall and leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest and his head down slightly. Hek was probably pouting like a scolded child, but you wouldn’t be able because his hair was covering the right side of his face, which was facing Beatrids door and her guard dog, Kuro.

This sucked, a everyday hello turned out to be something a little more and… Hek looked up slightly when the guards rushed in. Took the lazy bastards long enough, Hek took slight notice in one making Yones fall on his ass but he didn’t go over to help him up. Why would he bother after being told not to already? That he didn’t need help? Ha, screw him. Hek snarled slightly at Yones and turned slightly away from him, ignoring his injured ally, even though it was nothing serious, let one of the damn nurses help him. Humph.

Getting fed up with waiting Hek cleared his throat and gave his best to sound authorities as he could, it was probably a sad attempt and Beatrid, had she been outside, would have done a better job with scaring away the guards than Hek ever could. Especially if she didn’t have a shirt on. Being fed up wit being a fun extra wheel for people to bark at, because Hek and just recently managed to trip a guard who turned around and barked at him like he’d stabbed him in the gut with a rusty butter knife. He didn’t care anymore. Pushing himself from the wall, Hek walked over to Beatrids door completely and utterly ignoring Kuro knocked on it, above Kuros head and spoke through it.

�Beatrid, I’ll be in the front hallway, when you feel up to it meet me there.�

So, Hek stuffed his hands in his pockets and strolled off.

Rhindeer

[It did not. *whap!*]

Her first and only thought before the door was briskly shut was, Oh GOD, not Drones, too! Just what she needed! More fuel for his damned rumor, which reminded her: she had to kick his ass still! Sure, he'd started the rumor weeks ago, but...STILL! She'd kick his ass both for what he'd already started and for what he was probably going to add!

But then it was shut, and she was left blessedly alone.

For the moment.

It was impossible. It was simply impossible for her to do anything so simple as to take a walk without the entire palace seemingly conspiring against her to make an uncomplicated situation utterly ridiculous and just...just...argh! Beatrid huffed irritably as the door was shut, finally, and worked on quickly adjusting her clothes--buckling her belt, putting on some boots, and...she snorted when she discovered that her shirt was on backwards and quickly slipped her arms inside it, rotated it, and slipped her arms back through the arm-holes again before smoothing it down. God. People here were insane. That was all there was to it. Insane!

Which meant she probably was too, but...ah well. She had to admit, all the drama did make things interesting. As much as she hated to admit it, she did kind of like it...

It gave her an excuse to rough people up if she so pleased, after all

Which she was not in the mood for at the moment. Rather, she was embarrassed. Embarrassed, and there was no one within arm's length or throwing distance to whack. See, if there had been someone near her, she could have easily dealt with her embarrassment by simply punching them or hurling a well-aimed boot or other such heavy object at them. WHAM! Instant satisfaction and everything would be all better and she'd be content again! Misdirected rage? Perhaps, but that wasn't the point! Anyway, there was no one here. So she had to deal with the embarrassment on her own, which meant...she was just going to stay here hiding in her infirmary room for a bit longer. That was the other thing she did when she was embarrassed--she hid. Sometimes, if she was totally mortified, she kicked the person's ass that did it and then hid...then...kicked their ass some more. Heh. However, she couldn't really do that until she healed proper--sure, her wound was better, just a nasty, puckered scar running along the length of her side, but the skin was still new skin, soft and tender. Easily broken.

Hiding was the next best option, so, with a grunt, she plopped back onto her bed and sat with elbows on her knees and chin propped on her hands, listening to the commotion outside her room.

Until a knock on her door made her look up, and Hek's voice came through.

And it wasn't a usual Hek voice. He...sounded kind of down.

Oh, what now...?

As much as Beatrid would have liked to remain in her room, pulling the heartless bitch card, the fact was that that card only worked in some (okay, most) instances, and a down Hek wasn't one of them, though she had no idea what he could be moping about. Jeez. Wincing slightly, she pushed herself back to her feet and slunk over to the door, opened it quickly, and slipped out--

To find Kuro and Yones still there, of course. Kuro stationed near her door, and Yones...heh. Yones, slumped down there on the ground. And lookit that--he'd apparently gotten his ass kicked, too. Beatrid couldn't help but smirk, any previous embarrassment fading at the sight. Yep. She could never pass up the chance to take a swipe at him. "Oh! Drones! So great to see ya again! Damn...I was gonna kick your ass for being a fucking asshole, but it looks like your ass already got fucked...up. Huh. Guess I gotta wait a while longer while you...recover. Ah well, I'm patient, but...get better soon!" And then she flashed him her most charming grin and, ignoring Kuro, went off on her merry way to find Hek.

If she was lucky, he'd get pissed and follow her and she could jab him some more. It was oddly satisfying like that. Mainly because he tended to fight back, while Kuro just didn't care and Hek, well...she had more sisterly feelings toward him than anything, so if she yelled at him, it was just one of those things. Yones...well...everyone needed a rival, right?