Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ghosts by candlelight

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2006, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Fera wished the weather would make up its bloody mind. One day, it was so sunny that the light felt it was going to burn her skin away, and the next, it was pouring fit to drown the world.

And something had woken her up in such a manner that she'd bolted upright in bed, the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end. It took her a moment of careful observation to see that they were, in fact, alone in the room and there was no imediate danger.

Sighing, Fera looked over at Basil sleeping beside her. His thick lashes touched to his pale cheeks, features so alike to her own save that his were a little sharper, more angular. But he had the same soft green eyes that she did, the same dusty, dirty blonde hair - except his was a great deal longer. Basil was so pretty; they looked so much alike that she always wondered why she didn't think the same thing about herself when she looked in the mirror. And as alike as they looked, their personalities were as different as night and day.

Her twin didn't stir as she got out of bed, padding over to the window to peer outside. The rain was still coming down in torrents. Maybe it was the lightning and thunder that'd woken her up.

Frowning, she drew the curtains tightly shut, for all the good it did. Another crack of lightning left the room illuminated for several eerie seconds. Grimmacing, she retreated to the opposite side of the room, struck a match to leave a candle burning at heir bedside and headed for the door. No doubt the bar downstairs would still be lively; maybe something to drink and eat would help her get back to sleep. Basil would be fine while she was gone, so long as he stayed asleep and she didn't take too long.

Picking her way out into the hall and down the two flights of stairs, Fera was met with the sound of laughter and mugs clinking together. Thankfully none of the other customers at the inn acknowledged her as she went up to the bar and requested a glass of water along with some rolls and butter. The bartender looked at her a bit weird for her choices in late-night snacks, but didn't question as he wen to do as asked. Fera turned and leaned her back against the counter while waiting, bare feet shuffling absently on the worn wood flooring as she looked around and observed the others enjoying themselves.

Back upstairs, Basil stirred, frowned, and opened his eyes, immediately noting the absence of his twin sister in the bed beside him. He sat up slowly with the same prickly feeling on the back of his neck that Fera'd experienced a few minutes prior. He knew what that feeling meant, and didn't like it.

Shivering, he quickly sank back down into the bed, drawing the covers up over his head and curling into a tight little ball on his side so he didn't have to look at the shapes the candle and occasional flickers of lightning were casting all over the room. Fera had probably just stepped out for a few minutes, she'd be back soon. Nothing to be afraid of...

'Soon' turned out not to be soon enough. Despite the blanket over his head, Basil felt something against his skin, akin to icy fingers tip-toeing up his spine to the back of his neck. His eyes squinched shut and he lay deathly still. Ignore it, ignore it - sometimes if you ignored them, they went away.

...Sometimes, but rarely.

The cold sensation was followed by a burning one; the blanket being yanked away and fire-hot claws raking all the way down his back. Basil stiffened, thrashed and started screaming.

((left this open so someone can interact with either character. ^^; ))

Anonymous

Zendine, starled by the sudden screaming from the room below his, fell through his floor and into the room below...getting himself stuck in the floor there by the time he managed to stop himself.

"Blast. OI! Would you stop screaming already?! OI!" Zenidine turned as best he could to give the person screaming a hard look when his jaw dropped and his eyes went wide. '...Bloody hell', he thought, struggling harder to get out of the floor.

Anonymous

Basil was curled in on himself as tight as he could , chin tucked to his chest, hands clasped at the back of his neck. Whatever it was he was fighting off - or not fighting off, rather - had gotten to him all down his back. Still, better to expose his back than his front where whatever-it-was could have clawed out his throat. The creature didn't even spare a glance at Zenidine. It wasn't like normal people could see it anyway, Basil was just lucky. Or... you know... not. Whether or not Zenidine could see it wasn't its concern at the moment. It wanted Basil.

He was still screaming - could you blame him? - one hand flying out to grab for the candle Fera'd left at his bedside. Light. They didn't like the light, so if he could just reach it...

Anonymous

Zenidine was starting to panic. This was bad. Really, really bad, and Zenidine was wracking his brain, trying to figure out just how the hell to get the thing off the lad (he'd bother him for payment later) when he saw him reaching for the light and dove for it, thrusting the candle into the body of the thing. "You, you nasty bastard, just gave me me an incrediably nasty end to an especially annoying day. You're not wanted here, go away!"

The little speech probably wasn't helping drive it off, but it made Zenidine feel better.

Anonymous

The ghost hissed and recoiled, baring fangs. It didn't seem hurt, but it obviously didn't appreciate the light being so close to him - or in him, for that matter.

Giving a blood-curdling shriek that damned near choked the breath out of Basil, the ghost-demon-whatever-it-was lept to the floor on all four of its long arms and legs. Within seconds, it was gone, disappeared beneath the bed within the shadows and leaving Zenidine and Basil in the dead (no pun intended) silence of the room.

Slowly, Basil exhaled, shuddering and keeping his head bowed while he tried to regain his composure.

Anonymous

Zenidine was breathing hard, gloved hands clenched tightly around the candle before putting it back on the table...which left Zenidine's hands free to clutch at the sheets. "...what was that thing? What the bloody hell was that thing?!"

He was only slightly hysterical, really. In a full fit of hysteria, Zendine would've cracked glass.

Anonymous

And Zen's panicking certainly wasn't helping Basil any, who was loath to move. He probably looked a sight, back covered in bloody welts and scratches.

Slowly, he started to sit up, face a mask of pain. "Azuza... s'that one's name," he managed hoarsely, throat a little sore from his screaming fit. Slowly he started to make the attempt to pull his long hair forward over his shoulders so that it wasn't sticking to his bloodied skin. Great, and he'd just taken a shower a few hours ago.

Basil's eyes turned to Zenidine finally, his voice soft. "Who are you...? And where did you come from?"

Anonymous

Zenidine inched away from Basil, hoping the blood wouldn't get on his bared skin. Human blood hurt, damn it! "Me? My name is Zenidine. I was in the room above yours when your scream startled me and I fell through the floor into your room. What was...'Azuza'?"

Anonymous

"You... fell... through the roof?" Basil tilted his head back to look at the ceiling, noting the lack of, well, a hole in which to fall. His gaze turned back to Zenidine, skeptical and wary. "People don't just fall through ceilings... Unless you're dead." He'd met ghosts before without realizing they were ghosts... It became awkward when the ghost didn't realize they were a ghost, either.

At that moment, Fera chose to come strolling back into the room with her butter, rolls and drink. Naturally, the site of her brother covered in blood and a stranger in their room wasn't a pleasant thing to walk in on, and she froze. Basil blinked at her, opened his mouth to say something-

"You bastard! Fera shrieked before he had a chance. "What'd you do to my brother?!" Lacking her sword, which was propped against the foot of the bed, Fera chose to chuck the glass at Zenidine's head. ...What? It was better than nothing!

Anonymous

Zenidine ducked and hid behind Basil. "AUGH! You daffy wench! I SAVED HIS LIFE!!!" He pet Basil's head with a gloved hand. "And I'm not a ghost, lad. I'm a fae. Ghosts don't get stuck in undignified positions when they go through walls. You missed my rearend being stuk in your floor while that Azuza thing attacked you."

Anonymous

Fera, hand in the air with a roll ready to chuck at Zenidine, paused. She nearly dropped everything she was holding, but managed to get it shoved onto the small round table next to the door before hurrying over. "Azuza...? Basil-!"

Basil, however, was shying away from being 'pet' and gave Zenidine a weird look. "Are you sure you aren't dead? I mean, I've met a lot of ghosts that don't realize they're ghosts."

"If he were dead, I wouldn't be able to see him, brother," Fera pointed out. "Though I can remedy that, if you'd like."

"Leave him alone." Basil started sliding off the bed, grimacing. "I need bandages..."

Anonymous

Zenidine snorted. "I'm not dying for a long time yet. I'll go fetch the bandages, and when I come back, we can talk about my payment." Zenidine rose from the bed and walked through the wall, just to stick it to Basil that he could do it without being dead.

Anonymous

Basil stared and Fera just gawked, both of them stunned into momentary silence. Once that'd passed, Fera shook her head and pointed back to the bed. "Lie back down so I can tend to your back."

"The sheets are bloody..." Basil murmured, looking back at the bed in disgust.

Wrinkling up her nose, Fera sauntered over in a few easy steps, grabbed the edges of the sheets and yanked them clean off the bed. Thankfully little had seeped through to the mattress... granted, it was stained and dirty enough already. Basil looked reluctant, but slowly eased back down and stretched out on his front. His sister fetched a towel, picked the cup up off the floor where it had landed earlier, filled it with water and set to mopping up her brother's bloodied back, grimacing all the while.

"..."

"What?"

"Are you really okay?"

"I'm alright..."

He didn't sound alright. He still sounded shaken up, but that was to be expected.

'Here's to another few nights of him not sleeping...' Fera mentally sighed.

Anonymous

Zendine, in the meantime, allowed himself a tiny groan of pain.Some of the boy's blood had gotten on his skin as was current;y eating it's way through it. Dashing up to his room, Zenidine scrubbed at his skin until nothing was left of the burning but a dull ache, then went to go fetch bandages, using some on himself before returning to Basil and Fera's room.

"You are seriously more trouble than you're worth, I'm beginning to think," Zenidine grumbled as he walked in through the wall again.

Anonymous

The split-second he walked in, Fera was chucking a glass at his head again. The second it left her hand, though, she froze. "Augh, I'm sorry!! You just -- stop walking through walls like that, dammit!"

Basil grimaced a little but didn't lift his head. He didn't want to see whether or not the glass had hit its mark. Sigh.

Anonymous

Zenidine ducked before remembering the bloodacid burn on his stomache and ended up falling to his knees with his arms around his middle. "Ow...." He held his breath until the pain passed, nly tiny little whimpers escaping his throat. "I have your bandages... I just don't think I can get up to give them to you..."

Anonymous

Basil moved to get up at that, but Fera put a firm hand against his shoulder to keep him in place. "Why? What's wrong?" She got up and made her way over to Zenidine, kneeling in front of him, albeit warily. "Did that thing attack you, too?" She didn't particularly care - she rarely took any interest in the well-being of weirdos like this. But Zenidine had helped her brother, so she figured she owed him some sort of sympathy for that.

Anonymous

Zenidine slowly got to his feet, wobbling slightly. "Ah, no... some of your brother's blood got on me. Human blood is like acid on my skin. A very slow and agonizing acid." Zenidine smiled at her. "But I'm feeling better now, thank you for your concern." He peered at Basil. "So, kid, that Azuza thing was a ghost?"

Anonymous

The twins seemed to both react differently to that. Fera simply scowled at Zen and started muttering something about how maybe he really was dead or at least some sort of demon, because no normal human would be hurt by Basil's blood. There was nothing special about it as far as she knew - it was just... blood.

Basil, however, seemed to look a little offended, though quietly so. "I'm not a kid," he said simply. "And no, he - she - it wasn't a ghost. It was a demon, of sorts. Or a poltergeist, we aren't really sure."

"The only thing we're sure of is that it likes to torment my brother," Fera frowned. "We're sort of, um --" Pause. "Wait... you could see Azuza??"

Anonymous

Zenidine sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Didn't we go over this? I'm not human, I'm a fae!" He shoved his hair behind his ears to reveal that his ear came to points and were slightly longer than a normal human's would be. "That is why I can walk through walls, use magic, get burned by your brother's blood and, yes, see the evil nasty poltergeist demon thing," taking a deep breath, Zenidine fixed the twins with a hard look. "Now tell me why the hell that thing is after you. I do take information as payment, you know."